Ehren

Pokemon vs Yugioh, which is harder?

Ehren    5

I must say that Yugioh trading card game requires more skill than Pokemon video games, to say nothing of the card game. Building a complete deck demands more insight than assembling and optimizing a team of 6 pokemon. Furthermore, mass destruction like Black Rose Dragon bring forth a whole new dimension into field control and advantage in yugioh compared to winning pokemon battles. 

• Downvote 5

+Mascis    4373

This is possibly the worst topic I have ever seen on this website 

• Upvote 5

Ehren    5
38 minutes ago, Mascis said:

Dumb reply #1. Instead of posting insight on which game requires more skill you post this drivel. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ehren said:

Dumb reply #1. Instead of posting insight on which game requires more skill you post this drivel. 

If you're wanting to have a serious discussion I'd work on the OP a little it more next time. The way you worded it sounds like a response to someone else's topic and not it's own. I'm aware you posed the question in the title but really you need to frame the question again in the body of your OP post preferably with an elegant little explanatory tidbit telling us what led you to wanting to have this discussion or else it awkwardly looks like your talking to yourself or something.  

Alternately the lazy man's option is just to make a poll and usually people will discuss the topic if they where going to be so inclined anyhow.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mascis said:

Surely not. Have you read my threads?

• Upvote 1

Ehren    5
1 minute ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

6 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

If you're wanting to have a serious discussion I'd work on the OP a little it more next time. The way you worded it sounds like a response to someone else's topic and not it's own. I'm aware you posed the question in the title but really you need to frame the question again in the body of your OP post preferably with an elegant little explanatory tidbit telling us what led you to wanting to have this discussion or else it awkwardly looks like your talking to yourself or something.  

Alternately the lazy man's option is just to make a poll and usually people will discuss the topic if they where going to be so inclined anyhow.

I was originally going to put a poll up and write a thorough OP, but the Submit Reply button crapped out on me. 

If @Mascis is saying that the OP is wrong, then he is a fool. It's beyond the shadow of a doubt that yugioh requires more skill than both the pokemon TCG and the video games. Yugioh has spells and traps which add a whole new dimension to the game, and mistakes in yugioh are associated with more severe repercussions. By that I mean in pokemon you can't lose all your monsters in 1 fell swoop like you can to a Scarlight Red Dragon Archfiend or a Gandora, Dragon of Destruction. The slower pace of pokemon battles compared to yugioh duels is implicit in that fact. 

There is some thinking required to do pokemon battles and assemble a team of pokemon, but saying that it requires more skill than yugioh dueling and deckbuilding is incorrect. 

• Downvote 1

+ACP+    33987

Pokemon video games are by far more skill-intensive than the Yugioh TCG. The game is basically chess with a small RNG component. The metagame is also a lot more deep whereas Yugioh metagames are typically almost trivial. Tbh I think there's a decent chance that this is a troll thread though.

• Upvote 1

+Mascis    4373

Like you are really trying to compare the Pokemon Video game to the Yu-gi-oh TCG like the two are even on the same level of being remotely comparable. Sure, i'll concede that they share some of the same elements, but they way you're supposed to think about them is entirely different. 

+Mascis    4373

Literally yu-gi-oh has evolved into a game where it's you make a board and you win if your opponent cannot break your board and vice versa 

Pokemon is a game about positioning and grinding and is extremely matchup depended and format dependent

The skills you need to have to be good at either of these crossover but they when you actually take the time to look at what you are comparing here it's apples to fucking oranges.

if this is a troll thread you succeeded in triggering me

• Upvote 4

Ehren    5
15 minutes ago, ACP said:

Pokemon video games are by far more skill-intensive than the Yugioh TCG. The game is basically chess with a small RNG component. The metagame is also a lot more deep whereas Yugioh metagames are typically almost trivial. Tbh I think there's a decent chance that this is a troll thread though.

How about the TCG game then? Now that I think about it, the video game isn't really comparable. 

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    33987

All TCGs require an equal amount of skill, roughly speaking. I think modern-Yugioh has lost a large skill componenent compared to the past though. Mascis hit the nail on the head when he said, "Yu-gi-oh has evolved into a game where it's you make a board and you win if your opponent cannot break your board and vice versa."

• Upvote 3

+mmf    23226

i dont think the skill required in TCGs and the skill required in pkmn VGC are very comparable at all in the first place. really shitty thread imo

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23226

also i cant say for sure but in the goat discord we're pretty sure this guy is in fact not fucking trolling

• Upvote 1

»TRUMPOLOGIST    14530
2 hours ago, Ehren said:

It's beyond the shadow of a doubt that yugioh requires more skill than both the pokemon TCG and the video games. 

if this is what you think, why bother making this thread?

2 hours ago, ACP said:

All TCGs require an equal amount of skill, roughly speaking.

Now this is a really interesting statement. I'm curious how you come to this conclusion, as I can't think of an inherent property of TCGs that would make this true. Especially when the games are as diverse in their rulesets as, say, Yugioh and Pokemon are, just to use the example from this thread.

+Digbick    7371

you can't compare video games to card games. They are obviously vastly different from others. The skill required for tcg is different from video games. The thought  and strategy process are different as well.

I can say for a fact that Yugioh does not require more skill than pokemon video games, nor pokemon requires more skill. 

Pokemon video games may be simple and "unskillful" in the eye of a non-competitive player. But in reality, there's alot of depth and elements to it. It isn't just about building a team of 6 strong big and cool pokemons. Its about building a team of pokemons that synergies with each other. There's alot of shit like meta-call (a jap brought some weeny-ass squirrel to world, and it dominated serveal pokemons like Salamence), risk-taking (do I want to use this move that will most likely to KO but it also have a chance of missing), tricking your opponents to play right like you want to.

• Upvote 1

+ACP+    33987
11 hours ago, Bazaar of Baghdad said:

Now this is a really interesting statement. I'm curious how you come to this conclusion, as I can't think of an inherent property of TCGs that would make this true. Especially when the games are as diverse in their rulesets as, say, Yugioh and Pokemon are, just to use the example from this thread.

Because they all require the same skills. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who excels at one TCG that's terrible at another. You'd just need to get used to the new rules and metagame.

+mmf    23226

can you think of no possible rule change that would make a TCG "more skillful?" here's a stupid example that might help explain the question. if i took the current yugioh format, and added a rule that says during each draw phase the turn player must win a rock-paper-scissors bo5 or else they don't get to draw, have i made yugioh substantially "more skillful"? 

+ACP+    33987

No, you have not made it more skillful, you have just made the made more luck-intensive (assuming that RPS is almost entirely a game of luck). Note that games can both very skill-intensive and very luck-intensive at the same time. Poker is a great example of that.

2k17!    241
19 hours ago, Ehren said:

I must say that Yugioh trading card game requires more skill than Pokemon video games, to say nothing of the card game. Building a complete deck demands more insight than assembling and optimizing a team of 6 pokemon.

I disagree

+mmf    23226
1 hour ago, ACP said:

No, you have not made it more skillful, you have just made the made more luck-intensive (assuming that RPS is almost entirely a game of luck). Note that games can both very skill-intensive and very luck-intensive at the same time. Poker is a great example of that.

ok, replace RPS with something that you consider not luck-based (I don't think RPS is even close to random or luck-based but w/e). what if i had to win a subgame of Magic: the Gathering every time? what if i had to shoot a freethrow in a basketball court that was built into the dueling arena every time?

+ACP+    33987
1 hour ago, mmf said:

ok, replace RPS with something that you consider not luck-based (I don't think RPS is even close to random or luck-based but w/e). what if i had to win a subgame of Magic: the Gathering every time? what if i had to shoot a freethrow in a basketball court that was built into the dueling arena every time?

It would require most skills to be successful, but talking about winning a sub-game of MTG to draw a card is kind of a silly argument.

+rap tap    20162

how do you decide who goes first in the sub game 

qqgdvi0s2suy.png

• Upvote 1