scuzzlebutt

A Brief History of Chaos Control

+scuzzlebutt    23501

I wrote this for Jazz's Format Library website, which he's currently in the process of revamping, but I'm going to post it here too because it's been a long time since this section got any substantial new content. I have also posted this on my blog here.

In the early Revival era, back when everyone played with Exarion Universe and most deckbuilding efforts were coming out of the Nostalgia Duelist Facebook group, there were two decks at the forefront of the metagame: traditional Goat Control, which had remained more or less the same since US Nationals all the way back in 2005, and Chaos Turbo, an almost entirely new deck featuring Thunder Dragon, Card Destruction, Dekoichi, Night Assailant, and multiple Chaos monsters (typically BLS and three Chaos Sorcerer). None of these cards were unheard of in 2005, but they were not streamlined into this kind of shell until the Revival.

[10:28 AM] MMF: a fundamental of goat used to be taht thunder dragon was a -1

[10:28 AM] MMF: nice fundamental

While Chaos Turbo was popular, it was not actually very good. It played a lot like a more linear Goat deck, maximizing the use of Tsukuyomi + Flip effect locks and the infamous pieces of the Trinity, and cutting clunky stuff like Airknight Parshath entirely, but it had a much lower ceiling than Goat Control itself. If you were bad at playing Goat Control, you could increase your winrate by playing Chaos Turbo, but if you were good at playing Goat Control, the deck did not offer many theoretical matchup advantages.

So, when the first DGz Goat Format War League took place, the final matches were, predictably, all Goat Control mirrors, and from there, the rest is history: from the dust emerged Kris Perovic’s list, which became the golden standard for years to come.

In 2017, the second generation of DGz Goat Warring breathed new life into this deck, and the efforts of a few duelists brought it up to speed with the new pre-Exarion landscape. Gone was the linear reliance on bad cards like Card Destruction and Raigeki Break/Phoenix Wing Wind Blast. The new lists, dubbed Chaos Control, had adapted by adding Scapegoats and Metamorphoses of their own, but the new developments did not stop there. Videos from the previous year of Kris showing off his spiffy Recruiter Chaos deck in casual duels with Allen Pennington led many to adapt to the new prevalence of Dekoichi with their own Shining Angels and Mystic Tomatos. Chaos Control lists branched off into two directions: one retaining the Thunder Dragons of old (colloquially named Thunder Dragon Chaos), and one replacing them with the new hotness in Shining Angel (also known as Angel Chaos).

[6:56 PM] kperovic: This is more of a guide than a rule because it's possible to construct a deck on the edges of these definitions but in general IMO re Sorc:

If you have Sorc and Meta, it's Chaos Control whether or not you have Recruiters. If you have Sorc and Recruiters without Meta, it's Chaos Recruiter. If either deck runs more Return than Meta, I'd probably call it Chaos Return.

If you have Sorc, Thunder Dragon, and no Meta then it's Turbo Chaos. If you have Sorc and Meta then it's most likely Chaos Control whether you have Thunder Dragon or not.

If you have just a tech Sorc in an otherwise standard Goat deck with multiple Goats and Meta then I'd probably call it Goat Control still. Bump that to 2 Sorc and I'd probably call it Chaos Control.

[3:48 PM] Ynusgridorh: Turbo's goal is to recycle Graceful and Card Destruction with Faith and recycle Faith with Night Assailant. It also maxes on Raigeki Break or PWWB to make good use of Night Assailant and Thunder Dragon. Control plays like a regular Goat Control deck by tributing Sinister or tokens for TER and using Tsuk to set up soft locks.

When two of the top three players in the league were on some version of Recruiter or Angel Chaos at the end of the season, it was clear that something had changed in the format. Recruiters, and particularly Shining Angel, were now legitimate metagame threats that demanded to be answered by the other decks, whereas previously they would have been seen simply as food for Thousand-Eyes Restrict. Thunder Dragon Chaos had tanked in popularity while maintaining respectable results in the hands of the few competent players that stuck to it, but Shining Angel was undoubtedly the main character and star of the show in season 1 of the new DGz Goat Format War League.

On 3/21/2016 at 11:08 AM, OD Superman said:

I also think Chaos Sorcerer is seriously underrated and I'm certain folks who use cards like Thunder Dragon and Night Assailant to support it are doing it the wrong way. The beautiful thing about Sorcerer is that it's inherently tougher to answer than TER, it can be special summoned, it has serious ATK power, and it doesn't require another card to combo with it. It's essentially the perfect answer to TER, to post-TT plays, to standard "safe" plays like face-up Sangans, and for random game shots. Compared to Airknight and BLS, it's also less devastating to get Snatch'd. It's a great card for an aggressive deck but Thunder Dragon isn't aggressive at all and just makes hands more dead, and Night Assailant runs counter to everything Sorcerer is about: aggression and getting fodder in the graveyard. With Sorcerer, you need live, aggressive hands with Lights and Darks that replace themselves and can draw out opposing power cards. You need to force your opponent to answer your small monsters on the field in a way that doesn't remove them from play (aka don't set them) and then drop Sorcerer as an answer. It's the same simple, time-tested strategy that Lazaro used to use by saving his Soul + Thestalos, and it works wonderfully.

[4:41 PM] kperovic: The recruiter engine basically takes advantage of my "avoid being behind on the summon" thing.

[4:42 PM] kperovic: Plus, Sorc is strictly better than TER vs face-up monsters.

[4:43 PM] kperovic: I haven't revisited the format since I found out you can discard Thunder Dragon for zero cards though, so Shining Angel may not be the best way to go.

I wrote about this deck earlier during Season 1 when we were all calling Allen's, N3sh's, and Morphing Jar's decks "Chaos Recruiter" without distinguishing between the ones that played Goats/Meta and the ones that didn't. The Recruiter approach to Chaos probably dates back to the post quoted and linked above, and if you check that list out (the same one I showed in my blog post last season), you'll notice a few key features: the use of Solemn+Dustshoot (Kris later cut the former), the siding of Serpent/Goats/Meta, and the refusal to main any Flip Effect monsters outside of Faith. In the same way that the Thunder Dragon Chaos decks were born as bastard children of Chaos Turbo decks, the Angel Chaos decks grew initially as offshoots of these kinds of Chaos Recruiter decks. Note the trend of history repeating itself as Chaos Sorcerer with Goats/Meta once again turned out to just be better than Chaos Sorcerer without Goats/Meta.

Each of the new Chaos branches comes with a unique set of pros and cons. With Shining Angel, the name of the game is versatility, while for Thunder Dragon, it is raw, effortless power. Shining Angel can become a pseudo-Pot of Greed in almost any situation if used correctly, either by gaining advantage through battle then forcing an answer or simply baiting the opponent into doing something bad, but winning a game off of a single Graceful Charity activation while blanking opposing Duos going first in literally half your games is a privilege unique in the format to Thunder Dragon and Thunder Dragon alone.

[2:15 PM] ACP: the reason why angel chaos is so good is because its early game options are the most numerous in the format

[4:54 PM] ACP: shining angel attacks well, defends well, can be a meta target for TER, trades well very dekoicki and other recruiters, fills up your grave, has insane combos and mind games with tsuku/book

[4:54 PM] ACP: the card does actual everything

[10:57 AM] Ynusgridorh: Advantages of TD: 1) nerfs Duo 2) combo with Graceful 3) combo with Tribe 4) can tribute a snatched monster 5) can tribute TER 6) more reliable light fodder

[1:43 AM] MMF: angel rewards good reads and as allen would put it, "mindgames"

[1:44 AM] MMF: thunder dragon doesn't make you do any of that shit

[1:44 AM] MMF: to get your benefits from tdrag, you just draw it and discard it from your hand, done

[1:44 AM] Jazz: right

[1:44 AM] MMF: you sit on it forever, or you dump it for the charity you already have

[1:44 AM] MMF: no reads required, no effort required

[1:44 AM] MMF: allen sees this as a bug while i see it as a feature

The original hyperaggressive style of Recruiter lists initially showcased by Kris is, ironically enough, used exclusively by members of ALL THE OUTS today, first Morphing Jar, and then Chevalier de Fromage. Like Chaos Turbo, these lists are completely distinct from both variants of Chaos Control, and are mostly outside the scope of this post, but are still worth mentioning as further proof that Chaos Sorcerer is the new face of Goat Format. Some standard Goat lists are even playing a single copy at this point. If you aren't playing Chaos Sorcerer, what exactly are you doing with your life?

• Upvote 4

+Mascis    4563

Anus grinder is a thunder dragon guy which is the root of why he is the way he is

shining chris angel and recruiter decks overrall are still gonna struggle vs the stronger goat control setups 

like this posts talks about recruiters like it’s the reason you are playing the deck when you should be talking about how chaos sorc is just BLS at 3

• Downvote 1

»ACP    33422
1 hour ago, Mascis said:

shining chris angel and recruiter decks overrall are still gonna struggle vs the stronger goat control setups 

Actually not the case at all. Angel Chaos can almost never lose to goat control, because you're just playing their deck with more card advantage and a stronger early game. In the entire season 1 of warring, I did not lose a single match to goat control. Not even one.

Ynus's "advantages" to Thunder Dragon are greatly overstated. Nerfing Duo is not that big of a deal. Since Thunder Dragon Chaos is so poor at pressuring facedowns, it's much easier for us to set up double Duo plays. Comboing with Graceful Charity is just a +1 and worse than Graceful discarding Sinister (since Graceful discarding Sinister is a +1 that also sets up sick Meta plays later). Being able to be discarded to Tribe is also not that big of a deal since you're effectively still going -1 in virtual card advantage if your Tribe gets run over (ie, trading 2 options for 1). Tributing a Snatch'd monster for Thunder Dragon is such a poor option 99% of the time that it barely counts as a pro for the deck. You're basically turning your Snatch Steal into a Smashing Ground, which is far from ideal use of the card. Same but to a lesser extent with TER. TERing a facedown and tributing for a Thunder Dragon is a pretty poor play unless you're already way ahead in the game. While Thunder Dragon is more reliable light fodder, this is irrelevant most of the time as the Goat control format is played at a snail's pace. 

Now let's look at the advantages of Angel Chaos:

1. Best early game in the format

2. Best Tsuku setups in the format

3. Less trash opening hands than almost any deck in the format

4. Most Meta targets out of any deck in the format

5. With 3 Meta and 3 Chaos monsters, most card advantage of any deck in the format

The opportunity cost of playing Thunder Dragon far outweigh the occasional nut hands that you can get with the deck. It's a card that does nothing or close to nothing the majority of the time it's drawn (other than putting lights in the grave). Shining Angel literally makes the best cards in the format (Meta and Tsuku) even better while also being flex monster for the early game.

• Upvote 2

+scuzzlebutt    23501
2 hours ago, Mascis said:

like this posts talks about recruiters like it’s the reason you are playing the deck when you should be talking about how chaos sorc is just BLS at 3

These lists are completely distinct from both variants of Chaos Control, and are outside the scope of this post, but are still worth mentioning as further proof that Chaos Sorcerer is the new face of Goat Format. Some standard Goat lists are even playing a single copy at this point. If you aren't playing Chaos Sorcerer, what exactly are you doing with your life?

????

+Jazz    5387
52 minutes ago, ACP said:

Actually not the case at all. Angel Chaos can almost never lose to goat control, because you're just playing their deck with more card advantage and a stronger early game. In the entire season 1 of warring, I did not lose a single match to goat control. Not even one.

Well, you must have played idiots. Because Kris figured out the achilles heel of the deck. Angel chaos is insanely easy to goat lock, because it does not play tributes.

How many of your opponents tried to goat lock you?

»ACP    33422

If you're ever getting Goat locked with Angel Chaos, you punted the game. I've maybe been goat locked once out of the nearly 70+ or so matches that I've played with the deck.

+Jazz    5387

Also, MMF, thanks for contributing an article.

Allen, offer is on the table for you to write an addendum for your deck as well.

»ACP    33422

I plan on keeping the Angel Chaos decklist to myself. If I ever have time to write an article here, it'll probably be on the larger goat metagame as a whole, rather than one specific deck.

+Jazz    5387
5 minutes ago, ACP said:

If you're ever getting Goat locked with Angel Chaos, you punted the game. I've maybe been goat locked once out of the nearly 70+ or so matches that I've played with the deck.

How? You essentially cannot activate metamorphosis unless you have 3 or fewer goat tokens on the field.

3 tokens + ter? > goat player walls with something > summon tsuk > book tsuk in the EP, after TER is up

no tsuk > summon sorc to banish your own TER to create space > waste a sorc

only way to reliably get out of this is to tribute, which is why airknight is a good card. Not running airknight is a weakness. At least Tdrag chaos runs Tdrags to sac their TERs

+Jazz    5387
1 minute ago, ACP said:

I plan on keeping the Angel Chaos decklist to myself. If I ever have time to write an article here, it'll probably be on the larger goat metagame as a whole, rather than one specific deck.

Ok we have 95% of your list anyway

mark    3105

Sorc banish ter is comparable to tributing ter for ak: What's the difference, one gives you a draw that turn if the atk goes through? 

»ACP    33422

You clearly don't understand how the deck works. There are a number of ways to ensure that you don't get goat locked despite having no tributes, but no one has bothered to learn any of them because it's easier to just play Airknight. It's fine if people have 95% of my list, as the other 5% is pretty damn important, and if people can't understand basic things like how the deck prevents itself from getting goat locked, it doesn't really matter as their skill level will not be high enough to see any substantial success with the deck anyways.

+Jazz    5387
7 minutes ago, mark said:

Sorc banish ter is comparable to tributing ter for ak: What's the difference, one gives you a draw that turn if the atk goes through? 

The whole point is that you either have to make extremely suboptimal plays or no plays while I'm setting myself up for a game breaking play.

Tributing TER for an Airknight is just an excellent play compared to any of the things angel chaos can do in this situation. Swinging with airknight is a big deal and one of the main ways the goat deck wins. Airknight is a fantastic card.

+Jazz    5387
17 minutes ago, ACP said:

There are a number of ways to ensure that you don't get goat locked despite having no tributes, but no one has bothered to learn any of them because it's easier to just play Airknight.

I know most of them:

- ram a token into an atk mode monster (if one is available)

- use chaos on your own monster

- use book on your own monster (kind of works)

- use ring on your own monster

- use torrential

- use NoC on your own monster

I know they're all less optimal than sac'ing for Airknight. The best move early game is often the 'ram token' move but that requires an opponent's attack position monster and a healthy amount of foresight, otherwise you are making that trade at a decent chunk of life for little gain.

Many of the other moves require an unoccupied monster slot and essentially force you not to make any other actionable moves until you do that first. You can't set something like faith (or jar) next to your TER which is an insanely powerful move that the goat deck or the tdrag chaos deck can do in that exact same situation, because it can get out of it by sac'ing for airknight or tdrag.

»ACP    33422

Here's another radical idea: Just don't activate Scapegoat in a situation where it hurts you instead of helps you.

+Jazz    5387
58 minutes ago, ACP said:

Here's another radical idea: Just don't activate Scapegoat in a situation where it hurts you instead of helps you.

But you can activate it in a situation where it would obviously help, and I can turn it into a situation where it hurts by recalling my attack. Goat lock 101

mark    3105

Best and most entertaining solution: you guys should play X matches against each other and find out who's right

»ACP    33422
1 hour ago, Jazz said:

But you can activate it in a situation where it would obviously help, and I can turn it into a situation where it hurts by recalling my attack. Goat lock 101

If that's your strategy in the matchup, you're effectively just conceding. I'll just Meta my goat, take your monster, and then start beating you down with it (while having a zone open for Tsuku or Sorc), and if you're ever able to answer my TER, it's now harder for you to come back and win because I have an extra goat. This is why I beat Goat Control 90+% of the time, because you have people who think they are being tricky by taking suboptimal lines like this.

+scuzzlebutt    23501

having something to tribute TER to is certainly a nice upside, but i don't think it's a significant advantage of tdrag. in my opinion, the main three pros are as i stated in the OP: 1) blanks duo 2) charity tdrag = goat equivalent of one for one+monster for substitoad in frog ftk 3) cannot be punished for losing a mindgame or making a bad read (which ynus summarizes as "more reliable light fodder," which i think is a bit of an oversimplification)

12 hours ago, ACP said:

to be fair, the goat players in season 1 also took a long time to adjust to recruiters (the cards, not just the deck). this was certainly the case for Soul, and probably at least a little bit for SBE too, both of whom have made vast strides in their head-to-head with you since last season. angel chaos might have a marginally better theoretical matchup vs standard goats than thunder dragon, but at this point i'm honestly starting to think they both just straight up win, at least if the goat decks don't play chaos sorcerer themselves

+scuzzlebutt    23501

bumping this thread because I have more to write! I also edited the OP with a few major points that I stupidly left out.

in the OP i didn't really go too far into the matchups for both Chaos Control variants because I didn't feel qualified to do so. Since then, I think I've come to understand the matchup spreads for both decks a little bit better, and I'd like to share and get some feedback from the rest of you guys.

1. Both Thunder Dragon Chaos and Angel Chaos beat Goat Control, not even close. You're literally just playing their game, but better. I know Allen is going to come in and say, "no, Thunder Dragon doesn't have the same early game as Goat Control," but that just literally isn't true unless the Goat Control decks are all playing Spy, which is just 1 option and also by no means staple to the Goat Control deck. I think Kris did a good job of explaining why Sorcerer can often be straight up better than TER at stabilizing boards here:

[9:20 PM] kperovic: "Sorcerer is strictly better than TER vs. face-up monsters" mainly means that it's a lot harder to deal with Sorcerer than it is to deal with TER. With TER, you have 2 Book and 2 Tsuku in addition to all your normal outs to deal with it. Also, a face-up 0 ATK TER isn't a threat without Tsukuyomi, while a 2300 Sorcerer can take the game away from you. Also, banishing a BLS, Sangan, or even an opponent's sole light monster like Airknight is better than taking it with TER.

[9:20PM] kperovic: Plus you can Book your own Sorcerer when it gets Snatched without worrying about your opponent trying to run it over with Sinister, Exarion, or something stupid.

Goat Control players gush breathlessly about all of the sick reads and mindgames they've ever pulled off in their life with Airknight Parshath, but they often fail to mention all of the games where they had to play from behind with a shitty Airknight stuck in their hand that never ended up being summoned. Regardless of whether you're ahead or behind, Sorcerer can often be as good as or better than Airknight is while you're ahead (e.g. the best situation for Airknight). Sorcerer also clears opposing Airknights more efficiently than Airknight itself.

2. Whether you think Thunder Dragon or Shining Angel wins the head-to-head probably depends on which of the late game and early game you value more. Shining Angel does a good job of forcing the opponent to make the first TER/Sorcerer drop, but it's also easier to choke the Angel player out of LIGHTs in the early to mid-game, even without using Sorcerer. I think Thunder Dragon narrowly wins game 1 of the head-to-head and Angel probably wins games 2 and 3, but idk the margins. Basically, what I'm saying is that I think the matchup is close and could probably go either way.

On 9/23/2017 at 10:50 AM, Jazz said:

How? You essentially cannot activate metamorphosis unless you have 3 or fewer goat tokens on the field.

3 tokens + ter? > goat player walls with something > summon tsuk > book tsuk in the EP, after TER is up

no tsuk > summon sorc to banish your own TER to create space > waste a sorc

only way to reliably get out of this is to tribute, which is why airknight is a good card. Not running airknight is a weakness. At least Tdrag chaos runs Tdrags to sac their TERs

I really think this is not a good way of looking at either the TD vs Angel matchup or the Goat vs Angel matchup. Just because you guys got Skully to deck Francis out once doesn't mean you literally found the Achilles heel of the Shining Angel deck. It just means Francis wasn't very good at managing his Goat activations. As Allen covered above, a good Angel player will never activate Scapegoat in a situation where it will lead to deckout. Also, the deck literally has a built-in out in the form of Chaos Sorcerer, even if we just assume we're never playing Tribe-Infecting Virus. A lot of the time it is perfectly legitimate in both the TD and Angel decks to do something along the lines of summon Sorcerer, banish your own TER, summon a BLS, donk them for >4000 damage, set a Book of Moon/MST and tell them to go.

3. Angel Chaos solidly beats Beastdown both pre- and post-board. I don't expect this to come as much of a surprise to anyone. Ynus and I disagree on Thunder Dragon Chaos's matchup against Beastdown. I think it's very close to even, but Chaos-favored, while he thinks it's Chaos's best matchup, not even close. If you find a Sorcerer to stabilize on before you just straight up die, you should be fine. One of the things that super duper scares me about this matchup is the fact that they can maindeck Trap Dustshoot, which is basically always live against you and basically always good against you, and it can often be hard to find a live Chaos Sorcerer against three copies of this card. Other decks would have to side Dustshoot in order to have access to it against you, and siding Dustshoot is pretty bad in stuff like Goat Control unless you're actually just trying to destroy a metagame full of Thunder Dragon decks. I honestly don't feel confident saying too much more on this matchup until I play more against the best Beastdown players like Madgician or Gojira.

A brief addendum: There's a third LIGHT monster that I didn't mention in the original post, but that many of us in Discord chat seem to agree has a lot of untapped potential. I may have to update the OP in the future once we see enough development of "Mascis Chaos," aka "Skilled White Magician.dek." Seriously, guys, I wouldn't be surprised if Skilled White Magician turned out to be a better light than Shining Angel, Thunder Dragon, or possibly even both. Maybe @Mascis has more to share on this topic.

+scuzzlebutt    23501
On 9/23/2017 at 9:50 AM, ACP said:

Ynus's "advantages" to Thunder Dragon are greatly overstated. Nerfing Duo is not that big of a deal. Since Thunder Dragon Chaos is so poor at pressuring facedowns, it's much easier for us to set up double Duo plays. Comboing with Graceful Charity is just a +1 and worse than Graceful discarding Sinister (since Graceful discarding Sinister is a +1 that also sets up sick Meta plays later). Being able to be discarded to Tribe is also not that big of a deal since you're effectively still going -1 in virtual card advantage if your Tribe gets run over (ie, trading 2 options for 1).

Double Duo vs 2 TD in hand has yet to come up in more than a single game I've played against decks with Faith+Duo this season so far. It might look like the TD deck is too passive to attack over set Faiths reliably, and this is part of why I've been toying around with Faith #3 as an extra Meta target to gun TER in exactly those scenarios, but it's also not like the deck has absolutely zero attackers either. You still have Breaker, DDWL, Asura Priest, SDM, Sangan, Tribe, and Dekoichi (summon Dekoichi attack with book/tsuk in hand is super underrated!). Stuff like early Sorcerer, attack, summon Tsuk MP2 flip it down, pass is also worth mentioning. Cameron has been playing around with Exiled Force as a third NoC for these sorts of situations, but I hate using my normal summon on that kind of shit and I'd probably play something like Blade Knight, Kycoo, or Fusilier Dragon before that.

Tributing a Snatch'd monster for Thunder Dragon is such a poor option 99% of the time that it barely counts as a pro for the deck. You're basically turning your Snatch Steal into a Smashing Ground, which is far from ideal use of the card. Same but to a lesser extent with TER. TERing a facedown and tributing for a Thunder Dragon is a pretty poor play unless you're already way ahead in the game.

Agreed.

While Thunder Dragon is more reliable light fodder, this is irrelevant most of the time as the Goat control format is played at a snail's pace. 

Undecided on this one. In the post above I brought up choking the Angel player on LIGHTs early on, and in my experience playing with and against the deck I do notice this coming up a fair bit, but as you've said in Discord, it doesn't mean anything if you keep the Angel player on 0 LIGHTs in grave for the first 10 turns if you're just going to let them get to turn 20 anyways.

+Mascis    4563

skilled white is a good light in exarion goats mainly because it's fat an makes eaxrion exceptionally weaker when they try and crash into it even if they don't use the meteor crush effect. i got the idea form losing to death aspect in the finals of an older dgz goat tournament. 

in pre-exa, it's basically a vanilla light that you want your opponent to out with something like a saku since it can't be beat by book or tsuk unless they have a a big monster for back-up. it's sotra the same idea as angel except you sacrifice floating ability with angel for a monster who can apply pressure by beating breaker. so you play the deck with skilled magicians as beaters that you want your opponent to out with removal spells and effects so you can follow-up with a sorc. Your deck is a zoo deck more than a goat deck.

little secret, the skilled magician deck i sometimes play doesn't play buster blade because despite it's stats it's an earth monster. i want monster of the cards in my deck to be either light or dark, and it's also funnier to kill people with a vanilla like dark magician. 

here is the brew i've been using, it's not perfect and there are changes i wanna try out. if i took it more seriously i would likely cut the dark magician and the merchants for better cards. also the m / s / t ratio is garbage imo. should probably be 18 / 14 / 8 

EDS25is.png

• Upvote 2

+scuzzlebutt    23501
On 10/28/2017 at 0:45 PM, Mascis said:

skilled white is a good light in exarion goats mainly because it's fat an makes eaxrion exceptionally weaker when they try and crash into it even if they don't use the meteor crush effect. i got the idea form losing to death aspect in the finals of an older dgz goat tournament. 

in pre-exa, it's basically a vanilla light that you want your opponent to out with something like a saku since it can't be beat by book or tsuk unless they have a a big monster for back-up. it's sotra the same idea as angel except you sacrifice floating ability with angel for a monster who can apply pressure by beating breaker. so you play the deck with skilled magicians as beaters that you want your opponent to out with removal spells and effects so you can follow-up with a sorc. Your deck is a zoo deck more than a goat deck.

little secret, the skilled magician deck i sometimes play doesn't play buster blade because despite it's stats it's an earth monster. i want monster of the cards in my deck to be either light or dark, and it's also funnier to kill people with a vanilla like dark magician. 

here is the brew i've been using, it's not perfect and there are changes i wanna try out. if i took it more seriously i would likely cut the dark magician and the merchants for better cards. also the m / s / t ratio is garbage imo. should probably be 18 / 14 / 8 

EDS25is.png

1) are you sure you should be playing 3 SDM 2 SWM as opposed to 1-2 SDM 3 SWM? how often do you really need to crash into airknight or attack over a kycoo?

2) there's no way siding asura is right. since when do we actually sidedeck for goat control the deck? when are we ever not just maining whatever we'd be siding in for that matchup?

3) same with the goat engine and ddwl, these are probably too good not to main edit: I no longer agree with this part (maybe DDWL is good still)

4) did you ever main skill drain in this or am i manufacturing memories? skill drain is a huge draw to this deck imo

5) it's worth noting that if you do keep the single DM, i think this is probably the version of chaos that can justify premature and call the most, since you kinda have an on-theme airknight-like thing that you can just discard to charity to set those cards up. SDM and SWM can activate their effects without DM/BB in deck though, so idk if the DM is worth keeping

6) fuck merchant, get paid

DarkMimicLV1-GLD5-EN-C-LE.png

instead of merchant you can try 2/3 dekoichi. High chance of it getting noc+ it synergy rly well with return if it get noc. I have been randomly splashing 3 skilled white magician after reading your comment and i really like it. The aggro is great.