JC.

Vancouver Regional Championships

»JC.    4971

October 14th-15th

Taking place in two weeks, Vancouver is the next major Standard tournament after last week's Hartford regionals.

During the tournament, I'll include a link to the live stream. Afterwards, I'll include any topping deck lists that are included.

Use this thread to discuss what decks you expect to see, which decks you would want to bring, and how you think the meta might shape up differently from Hartford.

»JC.    4971

@Malcolm If I remember correctly, you said you were planning on going to this and wanted to bring frogs, right? What are you doing to prepare/have you finalised your decklist? At Hartford, a Vikabulu list made top eight. Are you concerned about that and/or Golisopod being popular?

In general Frog feels like it's one of the best decks in the format, other than the fact that it's inconsistent. You can OHKO Garde (2 GWS + CB Moonlight) while sniping Ralts, Metagross is just completely free, Volc gets murdered unless they hit you super early with the Kiawe. Garb is pretty bad (esp golisopod garb), Vikabulu also sucks if you can't chain Shadow Stitchings, and A-tales can be awkward (a koko hit means they can snipe your Frogadiers as well as OHKO Break, and the GX attack is very threatening), but other than that it does pretty well.

• Upvote 1

»JC.    4971
13 minutes ago, The Antagonist said:

In general Frog feels like it's one of the best decks in the format, other than the fact that it's inconsistent. You can OHKO Garde (2 GWS + CB Moonlight) while sniping Ralts, Metagross is just completely free, Volc gets murdered unless they hit you super early with the Kiawe. Garb is pretty bad (esp golisopod garb), Vikabulu also sucks if you can't chain Shadow Stitchings, and A-tales can be awkward (a koko hit means they can snipe your Frogadiers as well as OHKO Break, and the GX attack is very threatening), but other than that it does pretty well.

Do you think the inconsistency stems just from "oops my frogadiers are prized", the ability to actually draw what you need, or a combination of both? Is it worth including ways to counteract this, such as e.g. including a copy of Rare Candy to allow you to skip over one prized Frogadier (after using Water Duplicates to get the others)?

Are the matchups across the board good enough to justify running additional hate specifically to deal with Garbotoxin (say, 3-4 field blower instead of the standard 2)? Even if so, does that do enough? Golisopod probably still has the advantage just because First Impression is a OHKO. Is there something else we can do, or does the deck just take the L and move to the next round?

22 minutes ago, JC. said:

Do you think the inconsistency stems just from "oops my frogadiers are prized", the ability to actually draw what you need, or a combination of both? Is it worth including ways to counteract this, such as e.g. including a copy of Rare Candy to allow you to skip over one prized Frogadier (after using Water Duplicates to get the others)?

Are the matchups across the board good enough to justify running additional hate specifically to deal with Garbotoxin (say, 3-4 field blower instead of the standard 2)? Even if so, does that do enough? Golisopod probably still has the advantage just because First Impression is a OHKO. Is there something else we can do, or does the deck just take the L and move to the next round?

Personally I've felt like the biggest problem is that it's a stage 3 deck, but yeah prizing Frogadier is very painful. Most of the inconsistency stems from taking too long to set up and not being able to do so even close 100% of the time; you also give mulligan draws more than most other decks. Another problem is the Geargia problem; going second is like going fourth (unless you run Talonflame/Wally and hit those).

I include a single copy of candy myself because it has generic utility (especially I in combination with Splash Energy and Brooklet Hill.

I don't think it's worth salvaging the Garb matchups. Golisopod destroys you especially with Acerola, Trashalanche can be played around but you can't do that AND beat its partner(s), Garbotoxin is very annoying, Drampa is a pain thanks to Righteous Edge, Espeon's GX attack is ruinous early game, and if they play Espeon EX that's pretty brutal too.

Best way to win is to prize all their Golisopods :^)

• Upvote 1

»JC.    4971

iirc you were doing it in the list you posted on discord, but something like 2 lele + wally could be the answer to the 'turn 4' problem

It's an option, but you do NOT want to get a Lele start - and you will far too often with 2 Lele imo. The 2 prizes is also annoying. I may end up cutting my copy.

I wish this game had a sideboard.

»JC.    4971

i remember talonflame was popular a while ago. did it fall out of favour for being too slow or did it just rotate out and im dumb?

i think it is hard to call greninja one of the bdif when it has that consistency issue