Matt Bishop

YCS San Diego - Nov 18/19

Matt Bishop    2377

There is no faq up yet, but I'll be there :)

• Upvote 2

Hello DGZ,

So, to make a semi-long story short, I am a physically disabled Yu-Gi-Oh player, and I'm going to YCS San Diego this year. I am increasingly surprised at the lack of protocol these events have for persons such as myself. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do to prepare?

The Obvious: I know that I should probably notify the coordinators of said event to prepare for my coming. I also know what materials and mental preparations I need to do.

The Not-So-Obvious: What exactly am I supposed to do for recording life points among other things? Does my situation change anything for the slow-play rule? If I am bringing someone to the event to physically move cards, what rules are they bound by? If I need a bathroom break and take 20+ minutes, will I be disqualified?

Any answers to these questions are appreciated!

Dango    824
42 minutes ago, MaterialMacer said:

Hello DGZ,

So, to make a semi-long story short, I am a physically disabled Yu-Gi-Oh player, and I'm going to YCS San Diego this year. I am increasingly surprised at the lack of protocol these events have for persons such as myself. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do to prepare?

The Obvious: I know that I should probably notify the coordinators of said event to prepare for my coming. I also know what materials and mental preparations I need to do.

The Not-So-Obvious: What exactly am I supposed to do for recording life points among other things? Does my situation change anything for the slow-play rule? If I am bringing someone to the event to physically move cards, what rules are they bound by? If I need a bathroom break and take 20+ minutes, will I be disqualified?

I would recommend playing side events as opposed to the main event if these are concerns. Bathroom you will for sure be disqualified. I doubt they would give you more time in the round as time in rounds does not exist for any other reason than to keep the tournament moving at a solid pace, unfortunately this may not be conducive for you, but they have a set amount of hours that a room can be rented, along with a large amount of players to appease. As for someone playing your cards for you physically as long as said player is absolutely silent, and does not give you any sort of advice, hint, etc this should be allowed. Get in contact with the TO's to make sure. Side events are great fun, and actually can be far more profitable than the main tournament. I would recommend only playing side events to a lot of people, but someone with as serious of a condition as it sounds like you have even more so. 

• Thanks 1

+Digbick    7242

ill be dere. abt get deez hand 

• Upvote 1

+Digbick    7242

DGZ will have a special PPV event on the night before the event.

Digbick V. Silver

bets will be placed on duelistgroundz.com

• Thanks 1

turceal    29

At YCS Toronto this year they made allowances for a physically disabled player and he had another person physically play the cards (this was CIMO). if you look up CIMO's youtube channel from around august/September he talks about it in detail and you may find good info.

»ACP    33398
11 hours ago, MaterialMacer said:

Hello DGZ,

By and large, the reason that YCSs do not have much in the way of accommodations for physically handicapped players is because their resources are already very constrained by needing to accommodate the massive number of mentally handicapped players. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Jujuuu.    38

Good luck to all attending. I think this the final event for this mini format right?

+Satchmo    3220
3 hours ago, Jujuuu. said:

Good luck to all attending. I think this the final event for this mini format right?

Second event for the actual format

»Barron    7987

Ugh, was hoping this was in LA, LB or even Anaheim. I'll wait until next year.

»Pharaoh Atem    15766
17 hours ago, MaterialMacer said:

Hello DGZ,

For LP, ask the HJ and Event Staff. Depending upon player need, someone physically handling cards, dice, coins, LP tracking, et al. can be permitted: policy is vague on this sort of thing for the explicit purpose of not forbidding whatever is necessary to reasonably accomodate the needs of a player with such concerns.

For slow play, the only rule that has ever existed is "if the play seems slow to an observing judge after incorporating all known health factors about the player into one's assessment of play speed, it is slow." Your situation does not make you any more or less certain to be cited for slow play than any other player, as far as policy is concerned. You still have an obligation to play briskly: that obligation is vague on purpose because "briskly" will vary not only because of gamestate but also because of player health concerns. Part of the job "judge" is "judging" what an appropriate form of managing that obligation would be, between different situations and different players. 

This means, naturally, that a player with a health concern that makes it inevitable said player will take longer than a typical player in a given situation to make a play will be granted additional time without penalty, only insofar as the additional time being actually made inevitable by the health concern. No additional time will be granted for any other purpose.

This naturally can lead to disputes about whether or not certain instances of time are necessary or not. These disputes happen with players that have no health concerns all the time, so they are no stranger to us. The key in it is that it hinges entirely on judge perception as an impartial bystander: no other opinions hold sway in regard to SP-Minor.

So, I'd say your situation changes, but not by much - you are held by the same exact rationale as any other player, but because that rationale is context-sensitive, context can change the exact happenstance. The best you can do is ensure the event judges and staff are informed of your needs.

Hey All,

If I have further qualifying questions, should I still write in this thread?

Anyway, thanks so much for your responses (they really did help), and I hope to see you all there!

+mmf    23472

Just gouging interest here...

How many of you guys would be interested in playing a Goat side event for DGzers here?

Matt Bishop    2377

I'll play in goat side event if someone can provide me with a deck.

Also, anyone need somewhere to stay?  Still looking for a couple people for my hotel.  Requirement: do not be an axe-murderer and pay me money for hotel.

• Upvote 1