NB96

Super Mario Odyssey

NB96    841

Releases worldwide October 27th, 2017 on Nintendo Switch.

Trailer from E3:

Sand Kingdom & New Donk City Gameplay:

According to the Express, it got a perfect score from Edge, and 39/40 from Famitsu (some Japanese publication). The Express also describes the Sand Kingdom boss as one of the best ever in a Mario game (source: http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/858944/Nintendo-Switch-games-news-preview-Super-Mario-Odyssey-boss-Sunshine).
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/868378/Nintendo-Switch-update-news-Super-Mario-Odyssey-video-capture-pre-order-Zelda-4-0-0

This game needs a thread. It is going to be special, I can feel it. I simply cannot wait, I was thinking of asking for this for my birthday in December but I don't have the strength to resist so I will have to get it on release.

It's a slightly rushed OP but w/e.

Edited by NB96

NB96    841
7 minutes ago, Sophocles said:

you missed the release date

Thanks I added it in now.

Edited by NB96

Nate1080    1224

The best Zelda and possibly the best 3D Mario in the same year is still insane to me.

»JC.    4972
5 minutes ago, Nate1080 said:

The best Zelda and possibly the best 3D Mario in the same year is still insane to me.

You're right, 2002 was a special year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Nate1080    1224
6 minutes ago, JC. said:

You're right, 2002 was a special year.

Cute.

This comment helped learn that Wind Waker came out in Japan in late 2002, as opposed to 2003 everywhere else.

»JC.    4972

There was a demo for this game in my lolcal Gamestop. I couldn't quite get the controls in the few minutes I played it, but it seems like you should be able to High Jump -> Wall Jump -> Hat Spin -> Wall Jump -> Hat Spin to scale buildings which seemed kinda cool. There might be an easier method but my platforming intuition rivals a Cuphead reviewer.

Overall, a solid Christmas pickup for me. My November gameslot is taken by Pokémon.

• Upvote 1

NB96    841

Comes out this Friday. So frustrated I will be at university all day. At least the Switch is portable so I can play it there, but it took me 4-5 hours to download FIFA 18 so if this takes as long I will just have to download after I get home rather than in the morning unless I wake up at like 12:00 to begin the download at night.

Nate1080    1224
53 minutes ago, NB96 said:

Comes out this Friday. So frustrated I will be at university all day. At least the Switch is portable so I can play it there, but it took me 4-5 hours to download FIFA 18 so if this takes as long I will just have to download after I get home rather than in the morning unless I wake up at like 12:00 to begin the download at night.

Oddysey is 5.7GB, it shouldn’t take you too long to download. Definitely not as long as Fifa, which is basically 14GB on Switch.

NB96    841
On 10/22/2017 at 2:14 PM, Nate1080 said:

Oddysey is 5.7GB, it shouldn’t take you too long to download. Definitely not as long as Fifa, which is basically 14GB on Switch.

Thanks I didn't realise, maybe I'll download it at midnight (I'm assuming it's added to the eShop then?).

Nate1080    1224

It should be on the eshop by then. In fact, iirc, the newest Switch firmware update allows you to partially pre-download games before their launch date. You might be able to do that with Oddysey, cutting down time to download even more if you wish.

NB96    841
5 hours ago, Nate1080 said:

It should be on the eshop by then. In fact, iirc, the newest Switch firmware update allows you to partially pre-download games before their launch date. You might be able to do that with Oddysey, cutting down time to download even more if you wish.

Yeah I tried to pre-purchase the game but I don't know how, I can't find a way to pre-order the game on the eShop.

Malcolm's Multi    1789
On 2017-10-19 at 2:32 PM, Nate1080 said:

What

botw isn't even top 5

• Downvote 1

slickz    4307
1 minute ago, Malcolm's Multi said:

What

botw isn't even top 5

said no one ever

• Upvote 1

Nate1080    1224
16 minutes ago, Malcolm's Multi said:

What

botw isn't even top 5

It definitely is. Is has the best gameplay and presentation of any Zelda game, period. Wind Waker comes close, but the sea ruins the gameplay.

»JC.    4972

malcolm is right here

botw is like a 5-6/10 game imo tbh imo

• Upvote 1

+Malcolm    4603
On 10/24/2017 at 9:24 AM, Nate1080 said:

It definitely is. Is has the best gameplay and presentation of any Zelda game, period. Wind Waker comes close, but the sea ruins the gameplay.

the game is a glorified demo

NB96    841

This comes out tomorrow. Would play at midnight but I have a test tomorrow that I need to get sleep for and revise during the morning. Awful luck.

NB96    841
11 hours ago, JC. said:

malcolm is right here

botw is like a 5-6/10 game imo tbh imo

I really liked Breath of the Wild I just thought it was too easy after you fight the first Red Lynel that's about as hard as the game gets.

I really enjoyed exploring and finding towers and shrines, I just wish there were more towns and secrets to find. I did enjoy finding the location of the Fairies and the Horse God though. More random travelers giving me side missions would have been nice. The first DLC was a little disappointing too; it was nice to get the maximum power Master Sword but I already beat the game, so what am I meant to be using this newly upgraded sword for exactly?

Edited by NB96

NB96    841

I'm at Uni right now but I had a break before my next lecture in 30mins, so I spent an hour or so playing this game.

My first impressions are good, it's a lot of fun and tge controls are straightforward and intuitive. I had some difficulties doing the cap spin that rotates around Super Mario, but I had a little more luck when holdong the Joy Cons vertically for that move rather than turning them a little diagonally like the clip shows.

I'd also reecommend turning the camera sensitivity up. I increased the sensitivity to High, but there's also Very High which is even faster.

Aaron    2024

played this game for 1 hour, its fucking insanely imaginative and good.

how can someone call a piece of shit like uncharted a platformer is beyond me.

play this. 

all the mini games i love the fuck out of too.

fuck me this game is so innovative. i havent played BOTW yet but feel really bad for Odyssey not winning GOTY. 

Nintendo have really decided to get their finger out of their ass with the switch's game if u compare it to their Wii U offerings. 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    2024

multiple hours in.. the attention to detail in this game is incredible. EVERYTHING is just so fucking polished. I honestly feel like no other titles compare. The little things Nintendo don't forget. Revisiting worlds, seeing dialogue change, a cute overarching story/narrative, the INCREDIBLE animation of villains and monsters/characters. 

most games do pointless shit like collect fucking flags. this game makes me want to 100% it, not due to ocd or obssessivenes but because its enjoyable to discover. I love when I jump ontop of some weird ass furnture I thought the programmers didn't want me to do and I get rewarded with a coin. Its like "yes we thought of that" 

Edited by Aaron

NB96    841

Just finished the main story. What an adventure! Plenty of post game content too apparently.