ACP

Yes, we have actual ads again. Pls whitelist us.

8 minutes ago, victor said:

As such, to endure unrelated spammy ads to use the site, just to make it live again, strikes me as a bit rich.

You're not wrong. I was being tongue and cheek with my prior post. 

mark    3105

I disagree. Reading articles or series is only one form of content, you can come here and play mafia / ranked games / war, have competent judges and tournaments, etc. If there wasn’t a reason to come here, nobody would. 

1 minute ago, mark said:

I disagree. Reading articles or series is only one form of content, you can come here and play mafia / ranked games / war, have competent judges and tournaments, etc. If there wasn’t a reason to come here, nobody would. 

Yeah but like you could war and literally never log in to the forum and just be active on Discord. As far as mafia goes it's gonna take a huge amount of self-control for people to not just use adblockers because having constant popups is a major deterrent on that front. 

25 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

As far as mafia goes it's gonna take a huge amount of self-control for people to not just use adblockers because having constant popups is a major deterrent on that front. 

Concerning this I just had 3 players vote, make quota, and run. 

Don't get me wrong though. I wouldn't take any amount of money to be put in the position Allen is in right now. I can only imagine the pressure he's under to keep things afloat. 

»ACP    33410

Ok, so let me explain to you guys something about ad economics. There are 3 ways that a sponsor makes money with ads.

1. By visitations to your website leading to a purchase from a sponsor.

2. By visitations to your website leading to visitations to a sponsor's website.

3. By visitations to your website leading to exposure to a sponsor's website/product.

#1 pays more than #2 which pays more than #3. #3 actually pays pretty poorly, particularly because the conversion rate from #3 into #1 is so low. To put in into context, I run a youtube channel which was received hundreds of thousands of views. Do you know how much I've made off of AdSense in my lifetime? $20.30. The minimum payout is $100, so I've actually made nothing so far.

On the other hand, by running pop-under ads on DGZ, this is a instance of #2, as you're being forced to actually visit the sponsor's website. How much have I made off that so far? In 15 hours, I've made $0.93. This converts into about $45 a month, nearly half of our server costs! It is expected to actually increase soon, as PropellerAds' algorithm needs a couple of days to crawl the site and figure out which ads are more relevant to our users hopefully leading to more time spent on the sponsor's sites and actual product purchases. The current ads that you're seeing are the "default" ones essentially.

That being said, I did remove one of the ads on mobile, as I mistakenly had it set up in such a way that mobile users are seeing twice as many ads as I had anticipated. Hopefully this will make the mobile experience better without totally screwing over our revenue streams.

I get that you guys would rather not see ads, but the alternative is not seeing a site called duelistgroundz.com. It's not fair that you guys have to see an ad just to contribute to the site (well, you actually don't, as you can just use adblock if you want), but it's also not fair that someone has to pay for DGZ's server without seeing any return on investment. Frankly, if you guys had bought a shitton of loyalist subscriptions and DGZ shirts, we never would've gotten into this situation. But selling 3 shirts a year doesn't pay for our server, and this is the unfortunate alternative.

• Downvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

mark    3105
31 minutes ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

That problem goes beyond the adds tbh

2K18    255
13 hours ago, mark said:

48-24 should probably be the minimum rn without shorter night phases when actions are submitted earlier 

Also I was thinking about something along the lines of 72. Still with Majority hammer though.

+Sophocles    3074
1 hour ago, mark said:

That problem goes beyond the adds tbh

not if they say it's specifically because of the ads lol

I totally get that Allen doesn't want to carry the costs if they're 100+$, but the current ads are really obnoxious and bring a quick buck at the cost of driving people away right now. We should either see if we can't do a fundraiser to help Allen with the costs until someone takes over, or I'd urge Allen to speed up the process, possible taking Wumbo's offer. 

2 hours ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

Markus wanted me to clarify that what I'm saying here is that, "this is giving mafia a problem, no one wants to post because of the ads". Although I think the fact that Allen has fixed the oversaturation of ads on mobile devices will help some. 

So as you guys may have noticed if you where on Discord recently the pop-up website we are currently connected to is likely malicious. Be safe guys and download an AntiMalware program if you don't currently have one. 

CJw1VrRnT5mnQv37k4I9VA.png

BuildTheWalia    247
1 hour ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

So as you guys may have noticed if you where on Discord recently the pop-up website we are currently connected to is likely malicious. Be safe guys and download an AntiMalware program if you don't currently have one. 

CJw1VrRnT5mnQv37k4I9VA.png

Can confirm. Went on DGZ and clicked without any protection and it started to download a program without my permission. Would highly recommend everyone use either Avast/Malwarebytes and do a full scan.

+rei+    34637

I clicked the notification area on mobile and was rerouted to a scam site

What's wrong with adsense? 

• Upvote 2

+rei+    34637

Advertising has been changed to Google Adsense. Please let us know if you encounter any issues 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Grimey    8113

There's a distinct lack of aggressive virus provoking ads and I'd like to thank whoever it was that changed that. 

Banner ads are the way to go 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34637
7 minutes ago, Grimey said:

There's a distinct lack of aggressive virus provoking ads and I'd like to thank whoever it was that changed that. 

yw

(context: 

• Thanks 1

»ACP    33410
57 minutes ago, Grimey said:

None of the ads contained viruses. I clicked on the ads myself and ran a virus scanner to confirm this. The site that tyranno suspected as giving people malware as been cerified by Norton as being safe, see: https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=deloton.com

rei can do whatever he wants obviously, but I'd prefer if people don't go around spreading lies that duelistgroundz was installing malware onto people's machines.

»JC.    4971

so you're saying tyranno and walia were just making things up or just that the program it was downloading was different than malware?

psk also reported being redirected to a typical phishing type thing on mobile iirc?

»ACP    33410

Tyranno literally had no virus protection on his machine, say that he had malware and then said "Well dgz got new ads, so I must have gotten malware from them." That's not exactly a valid conclusion. Depending on your browser settings and how strict your PC protection is, some of the ads might get flagged as being spam, but they are not viruses.

It goes without saying that you should have a virus scanner on any machine that you own, and it's probably not a good idea to download programs without knowing what they are. But the webpages that the ad script was redirecting people to were not viruses. I can make a youtube video of myself triggering the ads a million times and running a virus scan if you think I'm full of shit.

»ACP    33410

The fact that malwarebytes has flagged it as a "suspected URL" doesn't mean that it's a virus. Like I said, I visited the website myself, ran a malwarebytes scan on my own computer, and it came up clean.

1 minute ago, ACP said:

The fact that malwarebytes has flagged it as a "suspected URL" doesn't mean that it's a virus. Like I said, I visited the website myself, ran a malwarebytes scan on my own computer, and it came up clean.

Do you have popup protection though? Are you allowing the popups to go through? I had premium Malwarebytes before and I let the premium expire and so I lost popup protection. Well, I still had the free. So I go to run a scan after letting several popups go through after you enabled them only to discover that the folders for Avast and Malwarebytes are there but the software is nonfunctional. I had downloaded nothing after my Premium expired so it couldn't be that so this is the only thing that makes sense. So I redownload both Avast and Malwarebytes and discover over 100 malicious scripts mostly in the Chrome directory. I got rid of them and suddenly my internet is back to being fine.