Carbon

Which one of these two people should I hire??

Carbon    1858

So I’m the manager at a cell phone store and I have to hire someone after my last guy left. To put things into perspective it’s just me and a 22 year old black kid, but he’s alright.

My options are between these two people:

1 kind of unattractive dude but he has cell experience and seems like he knows what he’s doing. He likes to take control of conversations which is good in sales

Or

1 pretty hot 25 year old chick who’s never been in sales before but seems like a smart person who is willing to learn.

the dude is a good salesmen which is nice but I kinda don’t want 3 dudes working in the store it would be nice to have a girl in there to help spruce up the place. Plus people like talking to pretty girls so that will help her sale. I don’t know if that will compensate for his experience but it might. What’s better for a business? The girl isn’t some bimbo so don’t think that. She’s had a solid interview and seemed Intelligent she just happens to be pretty hot. Experience is experience though. 

BuildTheWalia    109
5 minutes ago, Carbon said:

So I’m the manager at a cell phone store and I have to hire someone after my last guy left. To put things into perspective it’s just me and a 22 year old black kid, but he’s alright.

My options are between these two people:

1 kind of unattractive dude but he has cell experience and seems like he knows what he’s doing. He likes to take control of conversations which is good in sales

Or

1 pretty hot 25 year old chick who’s never been in sales before but seems like a smart person who is willing to learn.

the dude is a good salesmen which is nice but I kinda don’t want 3 dudes working in the store it would be nice to have a girl in there to help spruce up the place. Plus people like talking to pretty girls so that will help her sale. I don’t know if that will compensate for his experience but it might. What’s better for a business? The girl isn’t some bimbo so don’t think that. She’s had a solid interview and seemed Intelligent she just happens to be pretty hot. Experience is experience though. 

You should be answering the real questions: Should I go to prom or play ygo?

• Upvote 4

Faint    5722

i am not entirely sure it's appropriate to ask this question on dgz, and i'd feel pretty uncomfortable answering it based on the information you've given me

• Downvote 1

The purely rational answer is to pick the dude with experience, however from a more emotional perspective...

29 minutes ago, Faint said:

Hide contents

the hot girl, no fucking doubt

• Upvote 1

Faint    5722

It isnt rational to pick the experienced dude at all. The harsh reality is that in a customer facing sales role for a low value product (ie a phone) there is a consoderable advantage to being an attractive female, which will generate more customer interaction and therefore more sales.

People will likely say im being sexist, but those people have never ran a sales team and being an attractive female is a great stepping stone for success in that profession. 

• Upvote 1

»PSK    4222
11 hours ago, Faint said:

It isnt rational to pick the experienced dude at all. The harsh reality is that in a customer facing sales role for a low value product (ie a phone) there is a consoderable advantage to being an attractive female, which will generate more customer interaction and therefore more sales.

People will likely say im being sexist, but those people have never ran a sales team and being an attractive female is a great stepping stone for success in that profession. 

works both ways. when i was working in a phone store, a lot of customers (ironically mainly women) would specifically ask to talk to a guy out of some perception the girls couldn't help with their problem or weren't knowledgeable. im p sure it just depends on your demographic. we had a lot of business or older customers but if its a younger customer base, maybe the female thing is a benefit. 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    35453

hire the person who already knows the product

• Haha 1

JAPANESE GOBLIN    2182

no girls in the store isnt a problem if you start giving and receiving bro jobs.

think about it

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

+Urthor    10239

I'd feel suuuuuuper scummy not hiring the dude idk what happened to everyone's moral compass.  It's cell phones there's literally no reason to hire the hot chick when there's a better candidate.

• Upvote 3

+Gojira    1739

I understand the argument for a modicum of gender diversity/looks generating sales, but experience is generally better.

Additionally, someone with little sales experience is unlikely to be able to use their looks to directly increase sales.

There's a factor you didn't mention though. How little can you get away with paying the girl with no experience? I assume you would give her a lower offer based on that.

• Upvote 3

»lo fi    2680

I mean this is kind of a piece of shit question, to be honest and the fact you need to be thinking about this is like beyond me. You hire the person way more qualified, I mean do you want competent people working in your store? You don't just take somebody that literally has zero sales experience, if you need them to bring in sales for your store which I'm guessing works off of commission.

Also you work for a store that cells phones, but you have the 'Uber' corporate mentality, I hope you never get out of managing small scale specifically, and never live on to be a manager at somewhere corporate, because if you do I'm going to take pity on the staff that you're managing, and the team you're planning on building if you really need to ask yourself this question. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Faint    5722

^I'm a successful sales manager for a high priced non tangiable product selling to c level executives across a number of different sectors and this would be a tough choice for me. Hot girls (in general...) sell more because selling is rarely about product knowledge or what you say, it is about how you present and how you communicate, which newbies can often do better than people with the "experience" but with the wrong application, which is what it comes down to.

Also fuck off with your judgemental 2nd paragraph you nerdy speckled cunt

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

»lo fi    2680
2 hours ago, Faint said:

^I'm a successful sales manager for a high priced non tangiable product selling to c level executives across a number of different sectors and this would be a tough choice for me. Hot girls (in general...) sell more because selling is rarely about product knowledge or what you say, it is about how you present and how you communicate, which newbies can often do better than people with the "experience" but with the wrong application, which is what it comes down to.

Also fuck off with your judgemental 2nd paragraph you nerdy speckled cunt

As a consumer, and a person who works constantly and heavily in the R&D and having to negotiate with a  majority of our vendors, and being a fucking consumer. I would MUCH rather have somebody who could pick up on the product fast, convey it to me in a way that I can see me needing / wanting it.

The whole 'hiring someone because they're hot' is a fucking terrible thing to do, it's like hiring a less desirable or less technical engineer because they're female, and you want to make your team 'look more diverse'. 

It's a dangerous line to fucking tow when you're management and only hiring somebody because of their looks. Moral compass more or less shouts, that you should go with the more qualified person. There was even a specific distinction from OP in skill differences, keynoting specific strengths of the first candidate.. Where the other one OP had discussed was more or less average. 

Sidenote: Male / Female, you put gender the fuck aside, and choose who is better, there's LITERALLY no grey area for that. If you think the female is the better fit for what you're doing, do so, but don't bring her looks into this, it's severely unprofessional && wrong. 

And as for you Faint, It's nice to see you too man.. Glad not much has changed :)

Soul    8030

sad reality is most consumers aren't educated consumers, so the logic that the hot girl draws them in isnt completely off base. however being someone whos likely been rejected in favor of white kids with no experience and liberal arts degree from a top-tier uni, not picking the most qualified person imo, is a scum move. ppl are struggling out here, etc.

Soul    8030

and if you do get a techy person in your store that knows their shit and has to speak to her, you will loose all negotiating leverage and quite possibly even the sale as it's rather insulting to be sold something by someone who is noticeably unprepared.

• Upvote 1

Soul    8030

also selling systems is not the same as selling a phone, not even close lol. not all sales jobs are created equal, and someone who didnt know their shit walking into a boardroom throwing out imprecise pricing would likely be laughed out of any company ive worked for. 

• Upvote 1

Faint    5722

The reality is that people on dgz are generally not the "average consumer".

My point is that people going "techy guy obv where is your moral compass" are wrong because it's a legit question that shoukd be asked - looks and communication ability matter in sales so it's not out of the question to hire the hot girl. Technical skills are far easier to teach than communication skills.

However, i feel like i am needlessly  playing devils advocate here. I revert back to my original point - giving such a vague description of each person means that it isnt really possibke to judge in this situation- that's what interviews are for ;)

Hi lo fi! :)

• Upvote 4

+Satchmo    3226

It's one thing if you wanted to hire her for job diversity and all that, but considering you described her as "hot" I'm gonna assume that's not entirely the case.

If recent events have taught us anything it's "don't mix business and pleasure". You're in a position of power over her, this thread comes across as concerning.

Pick the ugly dude.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

+Malcolm    4549

you guys dont seem to realize the people going into cell phone stores.

also, carbon is fucking hideous so anyone he thinks is "pretty hot" is probably a 4-5 at best

• Wow 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3