ACP

Goat Duel Review Thread

+ACP+    34066

Post your DB goat replays here, have people give analysis on how you played. If there's something specific that you want to know (eg whether a play that you made in a certain spot was correct) be sure to post that as well. I probably won't have time to review most of the games myself unless I'm really bored and the game looks interesting, but I assume that other people would enjoy reviewing goat games.

• Upvote 5

NB96    806
31 minutes ago, ACP said:

Post your DB goat replays here, have people give analysis on how you played. If there's something specific that you want to know (eg whether a play that you made in a certain spot was correct) be sure to post that as well. I probably won't have time to review most of the games myself unless I'm really bored and the game looks interesting, but I assume that other people would enjoy reviewing goat games.

Interesting that you posted this because I was thinking of using the replays to post-commentate my own or other people's games to try and figure out what I did wrong. I just wish it showed the opponent's hand too.

+ACP+    34066

When you're reviewing a game, as the reviewer, you should have access to the same information that the player had. Being able to see the opposing hand would introduce bias and make you think that a particular play is bad just because you know what their opponent had in hand at the time.

• Upvote 1

Grimey    8228

damn dude ur opponent is a fucking master

1 thunder dragon in opening hand every game i wish i was that good at ygo 

• Downvote 1

+mmf    23263
57 minutes ago, Grimey said:

damn dude ur opponent is a fucking master

1 thunder dragon in opening hand every game i wish i was that good at ygo 

are you actually retarded or are you just trolling at this point

• Pride 1

Grimey    8228
2 hours ago, mmf said:

are you actually retarded or are you just trolling at this point

sometimes I legitimately wonder the same thing about you 

• Haha 1

+mmf    23263
2 hours ago, Grimey said:

sometimes I legitimately wonder the same thing about you 

in 2 of the games the thunder dragon did literal nothing and its a card he plays 3 of lol, it's really not that unbelievable. thanks for your top level goat format insight though!

+ACP+    34066

Here's my review of Silver's duel vs HyperBeam. Most of it is just senseless yelling:

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

+mark    3096
17 hours ago, Traptrix Rafflesia said:

Indeed.

Just my opinion. If anyone disagrees please let me know why. 

G1

You use meta into TER to clear opp’s breaker, could’ve summoned Tsukuyomi attack over it and save the meta for something better instead, especially since you didn’t have backrow to protect your TER. You tribute for AK which seems greedy without protection. 

When your opponent had a Tsuk Faith lock i would have used mirror force on the Tsukuyomi attack. You then summoned chaos sorcerer next to shining angel which seemed greedy, but maybe that’s just playstyle. 

G2 

(No idea why opponent discarded breaker off charity, but maybe he had a good reason) 

When you had shining angel vs his GK Guard, I probably would’ve set book of moon earlier to catch a Tsukuyomi or TER and not get blown out by that. (Opponent ended up having both). Dust on facedown before Snatch on Guard was risky because if it’s book of moon he’ll chain anyway - but it was dust and paid off, so maybe it was correct. When Asura attacked you directly I think you shouldve used call on airknight instead of taking damage. I think you took too much damage in general. When opp used storm you shouldve used Book on reaper and let ak die: opp had Asura so could’ve cleared ak and atk reaper for 1400 damage regardless. 

G3 

I’m not sure if discarding airknight in the EP was needed instead of setting a 2nd backrow (you also discard skilled dark over serpent. could’ve used skilled next turn to run over tribe). When opp used heavy storm you chained MST: I don’t think it matters but if the opp had jinzo or sangan in grave you would want them to coth first so you can CL3 MST to block it. Was there a particular reason you chained MST? Maybe I’m overlooking something. I would probably tsuk atk over tribe instead of setting ddwl but maybe I’m wrong here. When tsuk attacked I would’ve used ddwl effect then summon tsuk to run over tribe next turn. Could’ve also set tsuk to “catch” tribe then run over it with angel next turn if you’re afraid of leaving an open field, maybe that’s better actually. Now you let him tribe eff kill ddwl and you’re in the same spot as last turn. You definitely shouldn’t have let TER resolve to take your faith: either use TT or Book there. 

Opponent flipped Tsukuyomi to flip TER! Both players at fault here.

Either way, when tsuk attacks I think you Book there to protect TER and take it next turn. You have a tsuk-ter lock after all. Turn after you summoned BLS but you shouldve summoned a monster, flip TT, then bls for game. If the opp didnt scoop, I don’t think you could’ve killed him that turn because his set was DDWL. 

I’m aware that I’m not one of the better goat players on this site, but I hope this review was helpful for some regardless 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mark said:

Just my opinion. If anyone disagrees please let me know why. 

G1

You use meta into TER to clear opp’s breaker, could’ve summoned Tsukuyomi attack over it and save the meta for something better instead, especially since you didn’t have backrow to protect your TER. You tribute for AK which seems greedy without protection. 

When your opponent had a Tsuk Faith lock i would have used mirror force on the Tsukuyomi attack. You then summoned chaos sorcerer next to shining angel which seemed greedy, but maybe that’s just playstyle. 

G2 

(No idea why opponent discarded breaker off charity, but maybe he had a good reason) 

When you had shining angel vs his GK Guard, I probably would’ve set book of moon earlier to catch a Tsukuyomi or TER and not get blown out by that. (Opponent ended up having both). Dust on facedown before Snatch on Guard was risky because if it’s book of moon he’ll chain anyway - but it was dust and paid off, so maybe it was correct. When Asura attacked you directly I think you shouldve used call on airknight instead of taking damage. I think you took too much damage in general. When opp used storm you shouldve used Book on reaper and let ak die: opp had Asura so could’ve cleared ak and atk reaper for 1400 damage regardless. 

G3 

I’m not sure if discarding airknight in the EP was needed instead of setting a 2nd backrow (you also discard skilled dark over serpent. could’ve used skilled next turn to run over tribe). When opp used heavy storm you chained MST: I don’t think it matters but if the opp had jinzo or sangan in grave you would want them to coth first so you can CL3 MST to block it. Was there a particular reason you chained MST? Maybe I’m overlooking something. I would probably tsuk atk over tribe instead of setting ddwl but maybe I’m wrong here. When tsuk attacked I would’ve used ddwl effect then summon tsuk to run over tribe next turn. Could’ve also set tsuk to “catch” tribe then run over it with angel next turn if you’re afraid of leaving an open field, maybe that’s better actually. Now you let him tribe eff kill ddwl and you’re in the same spot as last turn. You definitely shouldn’t have let TER resolve to take your faith: either use TT or Book there. 

Either way, when tsuk attacks I think you Book there to protect TER and take it next turn. You have a tsuk-ter lock after all. Turn after you summoned BLS but you shouldve summoned a monster, flip TT, then bls for game. If the opp didnt scoop, I don’t think you could’ve killed him that turn because his set was DDWL. 

I’m aware that I’m not one of the better goat players on this site, but I hope this review was helpful for some regardless 

Thanks for your commentary, I'd have to look back at the replay to make sense of some of your critiques, but just for a few things:

*Yes I would agree that summoning Parshath in that scenario was risky since I didn't have guaranteed protection, but the opponent had little defence and what seemed to be a weak hand, so I thought it was better to start applying pressure to force him into doing something to answer my board.(this was in g2 when I had Reaper as well). I chose to use book on Parshath instead because Snatch would have hurt me alot more, besides he had BLS to out Reaper anyway.

*I was discarding SDM because afaik I had no other darks in my GY and I wanted to make my chaos monsters live after he would eventually break his goat lock. 

*I set Lady because for one thing I didn't want to leave an empty field and from my card knowledge he had Tsuk and Tribe so he would not have been able to run over it. But I suppose setting Tsuk would have accomplished the same thing.

The other stuff I don't remember well so I'd have to give that a look.

+mark    3096

I think your ak was connected with prem or something so you wouldn’t have lost to snatch there. Bls banish reaper would’ve given you another turn

I know the reasons to make the plays you made, but meta+ak loses to snatch and ter and anything he could’ve had - you literally drew book off the draw. This happened a lot, you made a play you shouldn’t have, and then topdecked a lucky out next draw. You didnt have a chaos monster in hand and the field was locked, so discarding wasn’t necessary. Leaving an open field may have been incorrect, you’d have to count the cards left in your deck and your opponents, but you’re getting pressured by tribe tsuk and have to take risks. I think opp had 0 or 1 in hand, likely no monsters. If you clear tribe his tsuk is dead. By setting ddwl and not using eff you havent answered tribe and will have to deal with his field anyway. 

12 hours ago, mark said:

You definitely shouldn’t have let TER resolve to take your faith: either use TT or Book there. 

If this was g3 we're talking about, I didn't have either of those cards to stop TER from resolving.

12 hours ago, mark said:

Not sure what you mean by this, as Tsuk wasn't in play until after TER died by Tribe's effect.

+mark    3096

I think you have to rewatch, you had TT/BoM/s/t vs TER, and in the 2nd scenario he flipped tsuk with TER on field.can't point out times on replays but I went through the games in chronological order

IzoristV    1

Rafflesia (The Ice Queen), in game 3, 36th minute. IMO its one of the cases you dont activate pot of greed. Its a stale mate, and you want to wait for options. You're even on cards (and you have serpent in hand), so there no need to rush to 6 cards limit.

• Downvote 1
  • Thanks 1

+mmf    23263

Agree with Mark's points re: Parshath in game 1, especially because theres a tsuk in hand. I would have activated Meta, attacked for 1600, and passed with a NoC set. You end up so far ahead shortly after that it's probably a moot point, but I don't see the reason to play into Snatch here.

I think the Heavy Storm in game 3 was absolutely awful and actually just got you nothing. 

In game 3, when you draw Parshath with 24 left in deck, you ended your turn discarding Serp and Parshath again. I think you should set Serpent, set Call and pass. Giving up Airknight here is kind of like if you had two Chaos Sorcerers in hand and decided to discard 1 at the end of your turn instead of just setting a backrow or something. Realize that WGM sucks in goat-locked gamestates, and almost on cue, he books his own TER to flip faith and draw 2 (putting him below you in deck count), and ends on a TER with nothing equipped and a Thestalos. If you had kept the Parshath in hand, you would have been able to Snatch his TER, equip Thestalos, and tribute it for Parshath (his two sets at this point were bluffs, which is not difficult to read since he was drawing with a full hand for a while).

Btw, I strongly disagree with the post above that says to hold Pot for literal no reason. WGM literally played Duo the turn after, and would have had a chance of hitting the Pot from your hand, lmao.

• Thanks 1

IzoristV    1
46 minutes ago, mmf said:

Btw, I strongly disagree with the post above that says to hold Pot for literal no reason. WGM literally played Duo the turn after, and would have had a chance of hitting the Pot from your hand, lmao.

I saw it right after writing, but that Duo was such a bad play anyways. Maybe Im wrong (please, correct me then), but because Rafflesia had not a good hand, and WGM was first to discard/commit to the field - I would definitely wait as long as I can (trying not to lose reasources by discarding at the end of turn, of course).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

+mmf    23263

uh, no, both the duo and the pot were completely acceptable. almost no one good auto-holds duo/pot for as long as they can anymore.