Sign in to follow this  
Urthor

Trails in the Sky is the best RPG Japan has ever made

+Urthor    10161

Actual story written about actual human beings, beautiful writing, insane area design, great soundtrack and well paced grind/gameplay.  Easily better than FF6/7/9/10/Chrono Trigger in my mind.  

• Upvote 2

Bazoo    5674

I have it both digitally and a physically but it's been sitting on my shelf. I knew I was doing a crime to myself. Though it's a hefty claim saying it's better than Chrono Trigger.

Sophocles    2777

English or original Japanese?

im a pos who can't look past the the 15 y/o graphics, that's why i haven't picked up despite some raving reviews

+Urthor    10161
1 hour ago, Sophocles said:

English or original Japanese?

im a pos who can't look past the the 15 y/o graphics, that's why i haven't picked up despite some raving reviews

There's no voice acting because the amount of text is absolutely beyond insane, which is great because reading, and the graphics are timeless.  Literally no different between this and the graphics of many 2d games released today.  If you hate the graphics in this that's like hating the graphics in Pokemon X&Y.  

Without a doubt I would say that the FC is a better game than Chrono Trigger.  The systems are simpler and the game is more straightforward but the writing is cleaaaannnnn.  It's the difference between simple food done well and Heston Blumenthal, but it's a simple game done very, very well.  The only area that the game goes wrong with is backtracking, but Chrono Trigger has an enormous amount of backtracking as well so :shrug:, turn on the speedhacks.  

Aaron    1969

Yup it is. 

I've only played trails in the sky 1+2 but they are incredible.

I've played Cold steel 1 and midway through Cold steel 2. 

The dialogue in both games is pretty much nuts. The attention to detail of EVERY single NPC which changes dialogue after every event is pretty phenomenal. Every character has its own little world and worries summed  up in a few lines of dialogue and cute 2d sprite world building.

The plots of both games are slow, and build up and gradually craft phenomenal and beautiful story. Cold steel 1 is a bit repetitive in the first game with a persona style school base but they sack it off in the second game. trails in the sky never really has this issue and is just really really good damn good. 

battle system wise both are excellent with cold steel 2 having the edge but possibly giving the player too much power to exploit and destroy bosses by the midway point of the second game.

Characterisation is world class, especially in cold steel 2 with EVERY character in your party having excellent backstories which aren't just spoonfed to you. In reality you might not unearth of fully realise the depth of half of your team because you only have so many bonding points.

Trails in the sky holds the candle to me of a beautifully written story tho.. the first one was just amazing with an incredible ending. The second game picks up where it left off and ends with some really nice closure for the main characters whilst leaving it open for the third title I haven't played. 

Cold steel 2 probably takes the edge with its villains. Its villains are INCREDIBLE and there are lots of them. Its hard to find ANY character in the series who is annoying or boring or you can take a dislike to. 

I think improvements in the future will come from probably expanding the battle systems & making each character even more different apart from just their crafts (altho again, the craft system especially in the cold steel games is really good at setting characters apart.. no 2 characters have similar crafts and all are really useful from being a ridiculous healer, to someone who can speed up time and turn count, to someone who can make everyone around them stronger+faster etc. 

Actually maybe I'm being unfair as every character is so different. I mean your MC isn't just a generic character whos a bit stronger/faster by the middle of the second game. He has two BIG BIG BIG things he can do in a battle which no one else can and is GAME CHANGING. 

Compared to Western RPGs, theres no comparison. Its charm, characterisation, world building and pacing destroy most western RPGs like fallout which really struggle to make you care for generic shop keeper X or random household person. They're literally just dead zombie NPCs whilst Trails go a but further into making them real people. 

Comparing them to other RPGs... I personally prefer the trails series to chronic trigger & final fantasy. I thought FF7 was good but just too dated, FF10 too simple and linear, Chrono Trigger was really good but I think the overall plot and pacing doesn't match the Trails series. 

I'm surprised these titles don't have more attention and I think its probably because they are very very slow to start off, but I like the pacing and the fact is lets you slow absorb into the world and understand the characters emotions. Trails in the Sky has the better individual dialogue and characterisation which is expected when you have so few main characters compared to Cold steel 1+2. 

I could write forever on how good these games are as RPGs. Sure they aren't the MOST challenging games but I still find them more difficult than your final fantasies etc. If they ever manage to get funding and transition to Fall out 3/4 level graphics and maintain the same attention to detail & quality, I will be very happy. 

Edited by Aaron
  • Upvote 2

Aaron    1969

TLDR Trails in the Cold Sky 1+2 are possibly my favorite games of all time. If you like anime and you like genuinely well paced, delicately crafted stories... then this is the game for you.

If you like shit paper thin plots but expansive huge worlds with lots of grinding and ability to customise characters and play-styles, then it might not be for you. 

It probably falls off on the customisation side of things but EXCELSx1000 on chracters/plot/balance of story/ost. 

Also the original is better than the EVO version as the EVO ost sucks.

This soundtrack in the second game, when you hear it for the first time I guarantee all your party will be dead within 60 seconds. 

Edited by Aaron
  • Upvote 1

+Urthor    10161

*so you're saying it gets better in Trails of Cold Steel*

oh that's just delicious.  

SSJ Grumpig    5618

its a very different game but it is right up there with persona 5 in terms of scope and attention to detail, only reason trails 1 isn't my favorite jrpg of all time is because persona 5 exists

Aaron    1969

finished CS 2. 

Trails FC >/= Trails SC < Cold Steel 2 > Cold Steel 1 

All quite close but looking back, FC is the complete package. SC is incredible though, but I feel FC's ending really steals it for me as it was really heart wrenching. 

Cold steel 1 is great except for the persona-level repetitiveness which irritated me. Cold Steel 2 was great except the ending left me.. confused and empty. 

Aaron    1969
On 03/12/2017 at 8:28 PM, SSJ Grumpig said:

its a very different game but it is right up there with persona 5 in terms of scope and attention to detail, only reason trails 1 isn't my favorite jrpg of all time is because persona 5 exists

Does Persona 5 fix the persona-issue of link stories being inconsequential and boring compared to the main storyline? 

It always irritated me with Persona. 

+rei+    34348

im more annoyed by someone comparing FFX to 7/CT than any comparison with trails

Honestly I've kind of ignored Legend of Heroes games because 3/ATOV sucked. Guess I'll have to change that! 

SSJ Grumpig    5618
On 12/6/2017 at 5:20 PM, Aaron said:

Does Persona 5 fix the persona-issue of link stories being inconsequential and boring compared to the main storyline? 

It always irritated me with Persona. 

i havent played the other persona games but the other characters' stories are pretty damn good and you can choose who you decide to spend time with/get to know better

anyway just reinstalled trails in the sky because you guys got me itching

+rei+    34348

my $5 in BTC is now $22 i might grab on steam - any "issues" with that version?

+rei+    34348

ballin, once i adapt to my work and commute (yay leave the house at 545 get home at 7) ill pick it up

Aaron    1969

Comparing chrono to trails, I'd say trails has way more soul than chrono. 

Chrono was ridiculous in terms of plot + journey.. like going from breaking out of prison to time travelling. However I'd say each Trails game has an equally as expansive, exciting and ridiculous plot.. just more centred around its characters, their emotions and their journeys. In trails there is a scene where as part of a quest where you end up eating sandwiches infront of a windmill in some small ass village, and oh my god you feel the tranquility and the tenderness of feeling and love between the characters. I never got that with Chrono. The most I got was the frog guy wanting revenge on magus. Whilst chrono takes you through the ages, Trails takes you from a small shitty villages to travelling the world, to ancent caves and quarrys, to mansions, to palaces, to battlefields... and Cold Steel 2 basically makes you into a revolutionary travelling the world to get an army together. 

FF7 had that huge ass expansive world and open world exploration which trails in the sky doesn't have (but cold steel 2 does). So if thats what attracts you to FF7, then trails is going to fail. Trails is a BIG game. The world is definitely more detailed in regards to quality of characters and dialogue but is no where near as open. 

--------

However I think both pale in comparison to Trails when it comes to character development and world building. In Trails and most definitely Cold Steel, there is a clearly set political climate and every single NPC has ongoing lines of dialogue which change based on what stage of the game you are on. There are crazy subplots only divulged in a few lines of dialogue you might NEVER notice. For example, a shop keeper in the first town is some single guy living with his mum. If you bother to "talk" to him, he'll mention his mum is annoying AF. If you go up stairs, you'll see his mum and talk to her. Shes worried cos her son downstairs hasn't found a girl yet etc. etc. Its inconsequential to the entire plot but these people are entrenched in their own lives within the game and not just sterotypically reacting to you and your accomplishments. 

In Cold steel 2, there is a specifically set political climate involved 3-4 factions and you become a single one yourself. 

Thats not to mention the villains. Trails in the Sky had a really really good cast of Villains but I feel like Cold Steel's 2's cast of villains takes it to a TOTALLY different level. One in particular is mentioned as the strongest in the series and even by Cold Steel 2, we're only teased of his power in a battle with him. Thats not to take away from Trails 2 where EVERY villain I looked forward to fighting. 

I'd say where these games fail compared to Western titles is no illusion of choice. Fall out New Vegas, you can choose which side. However, the quality of the journey is very very very very poor compared to a Trails game. Every NPC I spoke to in Fall out 4 felt like.. an NPC. A generic NPC. in Trails, thats just not the case. Your companions share tender well written and specifically characterised conversations. In Fall out its some generic poorly voiced shitty back story. 

A JRPG which I think probably matches these games but is never spoken about is Suikoden. I didn't finish Suikoden 2 because I'm a dumbass but that game had a very similar plot in regards to political intrigue, character driven plots etc. 

I'll attach a video which explains this better than I have. 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    1969
On 08/12/2017 at 1:31 PM, rei said:

my $5 in BTC is now $22 i might grab on steam - any "issues" with that version?

Plz tell me what you think about it. 

Approach it with the mindset that you want to sit back, relax and be taken on a journey. The characters in the game are just incredible given they're shitty 2D sprites with little to no voice acting (for example I've NEVER experienced a character as well balanced but unpredictable as Oliver) 

+rei+    34348

i love the 2D final fantasies a ton i dont think I'll havei ssues there 

Aaron    1969

just typing this shit up made me restart suikoden 2 again.

**spoiler warning** 

1.5 hours in and i've been part of an army -> uncovered a plot from the higher ups to use us as sacrifical lambs -> been separated by my best friend and imprisoned with some revolutionaries -> reunited -> shared a moment with my sister buy grandpas grave before being caught by the imperial guards + sent to die -> on deaths row saved by the same revolutionaries which imprisoned me... ! 

What suikoden lacks in quality dialogue compared to a trails game (its more on the level of final fantasy) it MORE than makes up for in crazy pacing and plot.