Solstice

Forest Fire Mafia Aftergame - Town wins

Solstice    368

First off I'm sorry this game wasn't as fun as I wanted it to be, I know the lack of traditional nightkills made getting reads difficult and timezone issues didn't work out the greatest for everybody.  That said I've gotten more subs signed up for this game than I have any other I've run, so I think it was a good set up idea in theory if not in practice, and if nothing else it was something different from the usual matrix 6 which is what always seems to be run here when the player base is pretty dead.  Thanks to everyone who approved, played, or agreed to sub; I couldn't have done it without you!  

scum chat: https://discord.gg/Erk67Tw 

night actions: 

N1

Tyranno protects PSK

JC wants to lynch either Jazz or wunter tomorrow, and suggested priming either tyranno or faint.  Malcolm never posts in the QT at all and JC never comes back to finalize an answer, so I basically end up coinflipping their night action between tyranno and faint, with a stern warning that if this happens again they’ll be subbed out and/or forfeit their night action. It ended up being faint.  

N2

Scum prime PSK

Tyranno heals Malcolm.  I LOL so hard.  

N3

Tyranno protects faint.

Scum prime Jazz

As far as MVP / honorable mentions, Wunter, Faint, and Jazz are all in the running here.  Wunter nailed both JC and Malcolm day one and stuck with them throughout the game, but never really explained to town why he scumread them and as such couldn't lead others to follow him.  Faint correctly outed JC day 2 for pocketing Jazz, but backtracked on it when none of town believed him at the time.  Jazz identified the team day 3 based on JC's behavior towards lynching Maloclm at the end of day 2, but it took him a little longer to get there than it did wunter and faint.  I think I'm going to give Jazz MVP for getting town to coordinate a hammer so scum couldn't intervene at the last second, but faint and wunter still both did very well, and you deserve your honorable mentions.  

As far as LVP...probably between soph/malcolm/psk.  Soph never had a vote out at EOD for the two days he was alive, and I can't really blame town for lynching him as he was a pretty big question mark.  Malcolm got outed for not contributing, and didn't really fight that hard to stay alive.  PSK was super off on the scum team and I don't think he ever voted either one of them.  I'm probably going to go PSK here just because I think I had higher expectations compared to the others, and it was kind of a big let down to see him going so far in the wrong direction.  I think Soph is/was involved in a hydra game off site, so I can kind of see how his efforts could have been divided between games.  

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns; this is the place to voice them.  I'm sure you're all glad for this game to be over, so get the ranting/venting off your chest.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

BuildTheWalia    148

This game setup seems sort of town biased imo, but looking at the wiki page scum won 2/3 games. It was nice to keep posting after the mislynch, but I don't think either of us stumps made the most of it. Glad I didn't scream for blood as soon as d2 came up, at least.

Didn't play out my role well at all. Jazz most assuredly is MVP. I was proud to once again be able to be led to victory by you.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Jazz    4936

Good job team. Sorry for getting so emotional PSK. You always think I'm scum no matter what I do. I felt hopeless when you came out swinging for me 3 days in a row, even after I felt like I solved the game on D3 and did everything I could to demonstrate that I was town (work, posts, conclusions, identifying scum).

Sophocles, I'm sorry but you were a better lynch than wunter. Recognizing that at the end of D2 doesn't make me scum. In fact that lynch was very pro-town. My preference was malcolm but that lynch was not possible given the end of the day and the lack of votes. Not seeing JC as scum in real time doesn't make me scum. Do you always lynch the right people as town? I don't think so. Anyway, you were on my radar as a suspect throughout D2 but I don't think you were reading the game, so why say "definitely kill jazz" at mylo as a stump?

That said I made mistakes this game too of course, as I do every game. Obviously I tunneled Walia with thin reasoning on day one, which I've noticed is a recurrent weakness in my town game (I did it to faint in JC's game). Maybe I shouldn't settle on who I want to lynch on day one until late in the day. I don't know. I also got triggered by wunter's remarks at the start of day 2 but I was able to work out of it by asking him questions. Thanks for keeping your head up wunter. That was great. You posted yourself clear. That was huge for us.

As for Tyranno I think you should be more transparent with your town play. You are a bit cryptic and your thoughts seem to be half-shared with the thread. I think that's why PSK was reading you as scum and I could totally see his perspective there. I think you probably should have claimed on D3 as I was prompting you to do. You were in danger of being lynched in fact, since PSK was going to vote you and it would only take one more town vote on you for the mislynch. I thought that meant the firefighter had to be PSK because there was no claim.

Faint you played solid, transparent town. Good job. I couldn't really understand what you were trying to establish with the JC+me connection. I thought you were implying that was the scum team. But eventually I got what you were saying and agreed with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

+JC.    4777

i was going to just kill malcolm day2 and i think i would have won off that, but i second guessed myself when he complained in the qt. Too late to backtrack at that point though

Jazz    4936

@Solstice I know you have a busy work schedule but is there any way you can start/end days at a different time? Perhaps in the mornings? This way europeans can be awake for end of day. I think this is important for gameplay whenever day phases are on the order of days and not weeks.

Jazz    4936
10 minutes ago, JC. said:

i was going to just kill malcolm day2 and i think i would have won off that, but i second guessed myself when he complained in the qt. Too late to backtrack at that point though

Probably would have worked. I think you would have fooled me had you not switched to wunter. You had psk pocketed too. All it would take is to lynch soph and one more person after that. You may have even won a counter claim against tyranno.

• Upvote 1

Solstice    368
2 hours ago, Jazz said:

@Solstice I know you have a busy work schedule but is there any way you can start/end days at a different time? Perhaps in the mornings? This way europeans can be awake for end of day. I think this is important for gameplay whenever day phases are on the order of days and not weeks.

I am unable to end days in the morning because I don't have time before work to update/check votecounts, post flips, notify people that day has ended and they need to get their night actions in, etc.  I'm not going to wake up even earlier just for a mafia game, especially since even on my days off I usually sleep the whole morning away anyways.  If I have the day off or work a short shift I could possibly start / end day in the afternoon (2 PM CST or later)  but the majority of my work shifts eat up all of the afternoon and early-mid evening, leaving me only nights to work with.  (So I can't promise start/end could stay at that time, so I go with nights for consistency.)   I don't even get home until half past nine most days, and then I still need to go back over the whole thread to update votecounts, answer questions players asked, etc.  As much as I wish I could be more flexible my work schedule doesn't allow it.  Being trapped away from home for 10+ hours sucks, but I gotta do what I gotta do.  

To further expand on this, the first game of mafia I hosted here (matrix 6) had days start/end at 9:30 PM CST (about right when I'd get home).  As a start time this was fine, but when it came to ending days I was usually late because I didn't factor in that I'd still need time to go back and get an updated votecount.  This also didn't leave any time before end of day to answer last minute player questions, and relied on players keeping track of vote counts themselves mostly.  Thankfully I had crei to help host this one, so it wasn't as awful as it could have been since they took care of a lot of that for me while I was away, but it made me realize I needed to push it back farther. 

Family mafia had a start/end time of 10 PM CST.  I was able to get an updated votecount and answer player questions before EOD this way, but it only left a few minutes to spare, and getting trapped late at work still really hurt.  It's what ultimately lead me to pushing it back a half an hour further for this one.  TBH I felt like I could have ended day for this one slightly earlier, but then again I didn't have as many late shifts this time around, so I think it's about the best I can hope for.  And I don't want to push it back too much farther than what I had it at this time as I still need to sleep, and some time for myself before I go to bed where I don't have to be focusing on the game would be nice.  

Edited by Solstice
  • Thanks 1

ZeroPassion    682

I actually loved reading this game and know how rusty i am at this game.

That said, I really hope we are able to control our emotions and put them in check instead of vocalizing them in game. We are better than that. Enough of this hilarity bullshit. Throw a stress ball, write it on paper for aftergame, etc. It can be frustrating that ppl don't believe you but you are NOT the only person who has experienced it. If you say you are, congratulations, many years of mafia online will not only show your way out the door but kick your ass as well. I stay mellow because I've been fucked over many times but I'm overall a controlled person. I will say that once and I'm not apologizing for the person I am. 

I have literally zero beef with anyone on the site but if you're trying to get better then please make and effort and if you cannot realize it, then you've already lost.

Good shit this game tho. Jazz making a statement. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

ZeroPassion    682
14 minutes ago, BuildTheWalia said:

@ZeroPassion When are you coming back bb

when i sober up

hahaha gottems

• Upvote 2

ZeroPassion    682

oops that means never

probably after finals? (after the 20th)

wisconsin is really fucking tough in terms of grading

i cannot believe i go to school here, it's been a dream come true.

Edited by ZeroPassion
oops forgot the date! haha!

Jazz    4936

Next game I vow to show no emotions whatsoever. I will be a mafiabot

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

Jazz    4936

Playing with zeropassion again would be cool. Maybe we can even get scumwood to stop his protest thing now that nobody even remembers what he was protesting about

Faint    5619
3 hours ago, Jazz said:

Good job team. Sorry for getting so emotional PSK. You always think I'm scum no matter what I do. I felt hopeless when you came out swinging for me 3 days in a row, even after I felt like I solved the game on D3 and did everything I could to demonstrate that I was town (work, posts, conclusions, identifying scum).

Sophocles, I'm sorry but you were a better lynch than wunter. Recognizing that at the end of D2 doesn't make me scum. In fact that lynch was very pro-town. My preference was malcolm but that lynch was not possible given the end of the day and the lack of votes. Not seeing JC as scum in real time doesn't make me scum. Do you always lynch the right people as town? I don't think so. Anyway, you were on my radar as a suspect throughout D2 but I don't think you were reading the game, so why say "definitely kill jazz" at mylo as a stump?

That said I made mistakes this game too of course, as I do every game. Obviously I tunneled Walia with thin reasoning on day one, which I've noticed is a recurrent weakness in my town game (I did it to faint in JC's game). Maybe I shouldn't settle on who I want to lynch on day one until late in the day. I don't know. I also got triggered by wunter's remarks at the start of day 2 but I was able to work out of it by asking him questions. Thanks for keeping your head up wunter. That was great. You posted yourself clear. That was huge for us.

As for Tyranno I think you should be more transparent with your town play. You are a bit cryptic and your thoughts seem to be half-shared with the thread. I think that's why PSK was reading you as scum and I could totally see his perspective there. I think you probably should have claimed on D3 as I was prompting you to do. You were in danger of being lynched in fact, since PSK was going to vote you and it would only take one more town vote on you for the mislynch. I thought that meant the firefighter had to be PSK because there was no claim.

Faint you played solid, transparent town. Good job. I couldn't really understand what you were trying to establish with the JC+me connection. I thought you were implying that was the scum team. But eventually I got what you were saying and agreed with it.

Cheers, yeah i didnt think you were scum at all - i was saying it was jc. I didnt see the purpose in following through as nobody was gonna side with me, and i was also scum reading soph so went that way instead. After that, it was apways jc and malcolm - malcolms advice to me when we played scum together was "target 1 person ignore the rest" whoch i saw him doing, so was pretty certain it was the right lynch

Jazz and wunter both played really well here. Jc you misplayed in not bussing malcolm :) but your hands seemed tied tbh haha - i would still have gunned for you d3 but odk if i couldve persuaded all of town if you had bussed

Faint    5619

I enjoyed tbis game, thank you @Solstice

The no nk thing made it tougher to make reads but having 1 less scum balanced it pretty well

• Thanks 1

Faint    5619
1 hour ago, ZeroPassion said:

@Faint I now know what drunk posting is

You havent reached my level until you fill 2 game thread pages with drunken disney lyrics