the movie was fucking bad give me a break

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

+rei+    34642

support your opinions

• Upvote 1
  • Pride 1

Carbon    1876

I'm just worried about the future films. All the old characters that people care about are gone and i think some interest will die down. Yeah there's Kylo and Ren, but ok.

HououinKyouma    808
23 minutes ago, Carbon said:

I'm just worried about the future films. All the old characters that people care about are gone and i think some interest will die down. Yeah there's Kylo and Ren, but ok.

I think this trilogy would have been infinitely better if all the fanservice charas were gone. I think that's personally what's held back these films.

• Thanks 2

HououinKyouma    808

People will see this shit regardless whether or not it has the ot actors. It's the same as comic book movies, people will watch any garb as long as the label "Star Wars" is on it. Just like marvel, dc, etc.

+Mascis    4553

Tbh these movies are bad and have always been bad but they are enjoyable, popular, and make a shit load of money 

HououinKyouma    808
2 minutes ago, Mascis said:

Tbh these movies are bad and have always been bad but they are enjoyable, popular, and make a shit load of money 

the first one had some great moments of visual storytelling. It definitely wasn't bad.

N e J i    902

This topic is turning pretty bitter and cynical...

Don't forget escapism is an integral part of cinema. If you can't appreciate spending 2 hours away from life immersed in a fantasy maybe you shouldn't be watching these films in the first place. The fact that you do keep watching and feel so strongly about them tells me you do enjoy the experience.

+Mascis    4553
On 1/18/2018 at 6:59 PM, HououinKyouma said:

the first one had some great moments of visual storytelling. It definitely wasn't bad.

I’m talkin bout Star Wars as a whole 

+Mascis    4553
2 minutes ago, N e J i said:

This topic is turning pretty bitter and cynical...

Don't forget escapism is an integral part of cinema. If you can't appreciate spending 2 hours away from life immersed in a fantasy maybe you shouldn't be watching these films in the first place. The fact that you do keep watching and feel so strongly about them tells me you do enjoy the experience.

Yeah no you’re right which is why it’s Lisa funny people debate these movies and the superhero movies so much. These movies have surface level depth despite their huge budgets 

like we are debating merits of a movie with a giant dog man as one of its heroes, this isn’t hamlet lol

+Sophocles    3075
On 25-12-2017 at 3:06 PM, Sophocles said:

The original trilogy has solid narrative qualities (luke-sunset-scene.mp4) and mythology building - they aren't terribly complex films but what they do they do extremely well. There's a reason it's spawned a massive franchise and the original films are still popular today, all 3 in the IMDB top 100

They preserve particularily well if you just ignore the entire franchise star wars has become, because all the extra material dispells the mysticism the first trilogy was supposed to convey.

Mr Dragon    312

Personally I don't even give a shit about Star Wars, I saw this, and think it's got great quality in every department other than having a pretty bad screenplay (not in dialogue, but in story and the way the film is put together) which drags the film down horrendously, but it's still OK enough so I'd say it's like a 5/10. Honestly, it's probably what I'd have expected from a Rian Johnson Star Wars, because Looper was pretty similar except the plot of Looper was so insane that it being nonsensical doesn't even register while you're watching it.

+mmf    23484

this seemed ok but then again i said the same thing when i saw Star Trek: Into Darkness

• Upvote 1

NB96    841
On 1/3/2018 at 10:11 PM, NB96 said:

Really I think part of the problem is also having different directors for the films with what are seemingly different visions for how this new tale should go. They are getting JJ Abrams back for 9 afaik but now he has to work with what Rian Johnson went for and I can't help but feel based on how TFA set things up that Abrams Episode 8 would have been taken in a different direction. Now he has to work with the setup given by this film instead.

Daisy Ridley said in an interview that J.J. Abrams (who afaik wrote and directed Episode VII but I might be mistaken) had a draft for VIII and IX and Rian Johnson took the VIII draft and basically scrapped it to make a whole new story that was nothing like the original draft for VIII. I guess he's entitled to do that if he really wants as the writer and director but you can tell this new trilogy is a mish-mash of two people's visions.

+Urthor    10219

So Rian made episode VIII noticeably better good that's great.

Hopefully JJ learns from that and does something actually original for the final film

+rei+    34642

nah dude hes gonna have a sun that destroys other suns but its not finished yet

HououinKyouma    808

It doesn't matter if abrams or johnson direct the next one because neither one has ever made a good movie.

• Downvote 1
  • Haha 1

BuildTheWalia    247
37 minutes ago, HououinKyouma said:

It doesn't matter if abrams or johnson direct the next one because neither one has ever made a good movie.

Not even "Star Trek"?

• Confused 1

N e J i    902
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HououinKyouma said:

... and the world is shit and nothing really matters and we're all going to die.

Edited by N e J i
  • Upvote 1

HououinKyouma    808
On 3/3/2018 at 3:17 AM, N e J i said:

... and the world is shit and nothing really matters and we're all going to die.

If they wanted to make a good movie they'd hand it to villeneuve, and for all the shit I say about comic book movies, at least feige has a clear vision for his universe. Not sure kennedy does though.

+Mascis    4553

Kennedy doe$$$$$$$$

+rei+    34642
On 3/3/2018 at 0:48 AM, HououinKyouma said:

Looper and Brick were both good. as was Super 8 

and yeah Villeneuve is the best 

HououinKyouma    808
9 hours ago, Mascis said:

Kennedy doe$$$$$$$$

idk feige handed black panther to coogler and that seems like its doing alright!

HououinKyouma    808
4 hours ago, rei said:

Looper and Brick were both good. as was Super 8 

and yeah Villeneuve is the best 

I'm lukewarm on all of those. Comparing those films to villeneuve early shit is apples and oranges. Even something like Prisoners which was fine blows out Looper, Brick, and Super 8.