Dramus18

Goat Format: CotH MST Sacred Crane Interaction

Dramus18    9

Consider the following scenario: Player 1 activates MST targeting Player 2's set Call of the Haunted. Player 2 chains, targeting a Sacred Crane in their graveyard. Will Player 2 get to draw for this effect?

I remember in 2014/2015 (the last time I played current YGO) there was a huge debate about this interaction that led to you not getting the effect in North America but getting it in Europe and the OCG. I don't know if that's been resolved since but that also doesn't matter here. What I want to know is does anyone know how that would have been ruled in 2005? Has it always been in NA you don't get the effect, in Europe you do? Was one ruling dominant and the split was a more recent phenomenon? Was it completely unpredictable from one event to the next?

+Sophocles    3136

You mean the other way around: Player 1 activates CotH, Player 2 chains MST, so CotH is destroyed before it resolves.

In your scenario, Call resolves first, summons Sacred Crane and is then destroyed by MST. (In that case Sacred Crane definitely activates)

UDE rulings on the wikia seem to say nothing is special summoned if Call is removed before resolving, but idk what the convention is among goat format players.

2 minutes ago, Sophocles said:

You mean the other way around: Player 1 activates CotH, Player 2 chains MST, so CotH is destroyed before it resolves.

In your scenario, Call resolves first, summons Sacred Crane and is then destroyed by MST. (In that case Sacred Crane definitely activates)

UDE rulings on the wikia seem to say nothing is special summoned if Call is removed before resolving, but idk what the convention is among goat format players.

No, he means the way he said - the first scenario has never been debated (continuous s/t must remain FU to resolve).

Can't answer the question though I'm afraid, I'd personally have it activate (see: jinzo stays on the field in this case) but I'm far from an authority and the case I cite isn't really comparable.

• Upvote 1

+Mascis    4562

I just woke up but, 

Crane’s effect triggers when it’s special summoned. Can triggers occur during a chain? No. We have to resolve the chain first 

+Sophocles    3136
32 minutes ago, Mascis said:

Can triggers occur during a chain? No.

? Is this ancient ygo rulings I forgot, because iirc triggers happen regularily during a chain (e.g. sangan getting destroyed by a spell)

+Mascis    4562
1 hour ago, Sophocles said:

? Is this ancient ygo rulings I forgot, because iirc triggers happen regularily during a chain (e.g. sangan getting destroyed by a spell)

Again I just woke up there but I don’t think it triggers during the chain 

what probably happens is like sangan it will activate in a separate chain since it’s conditions were met

should have mentioned that prior

Dramus18    9
12 hours ago, BuildTheWalia said:

IMG_4524.PNG

Makes sense. The way the Deneb debate played out it seemed like an example of NA going rouge, not a ruling that had always existed that wan't relevant until then. 

2k19    299

imo it will not acitvate based on what i know bc its not on the field at any point when its capable of resolving

2k19    299
17 hours ago, Sophocles said:

sangan activates in the graveyard its not the same, and sangans trigger actually doesnt happen during that chain anyway bc mst is cl1 and ends the chain

BuildTheWalia    261
6 hours ago, gone said:

imo it will not acitvate based on what i know bc its not on the field at any point when its capable of resolving

That's how it's ruled in NA today, but not back in 2005.