Sign in to follow this  
mmf

Duelistgroundz Championship Series: Juneau | Coverage Thread

+mmf    23356

rosps3G.png

Day 1 Intro

Welcome to DuelistGroundz Championship Series: Juneau, the first premier Goat Format tournament of 2018! After almost 6 months of hiatus, DCS Orlando Champion Jazz is playing in a premier Goat Format event again, and he's going to have his work cut out for him on his path to his second DCS win this weekend. His Seraphim teammate and ND Summer Slam 1 finalist G-sop will also be looking to score his first Modern GoatRank event win. Also in attendance are the Based Loli and the enigmatic Digbickboth looking to follow up their respective breakout performances in last year's summer split of DGz War League with a win to solidify their place(s) amongst the Goat Format greats. Lastly, while Damage Stepostensibly one of the hottest teams going into the Winter season, has struggled lately against new blood in EVIL and Workshop for Metalworker, WGM will have a chance to silence his haters at Juneau and break out of his recent struggles to maintain consistency. 

The big metagame story for this event is likely to be the ongoing war between Goat Control versus Chaos Control. Angel Chaos in particular has continued to make strong showings in the four live qualifier tournaments held over the past week, but we've been seeing all sorts of other strategies pop up as well, including Reasoning/Gate, PACMAN, Empty Jar, and even Zombies. The Chaos players will have their first chance on a big stage to test out various additions and subtractions to the winning list from last season's playoffs, and the Goat players will need to be sidedecking better than ever for this rigorous and diverse metagame. You won't want to miss this weekend of action-packed tournament coverage on DuelistGroundz.com!

dcsjuneau18.svg

Click here to tune into our Twitch channel for live coverage of Day 1, starting at 11:00 AM EST on Saturday

• Upvote 1
  • Pride 2

+mmf    23356

Day 1 Feature Match

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23356

Day 1 Interview

I knew I wanted Jazz for the Day 1 interview as soon as his name went up on the bracket. It's been almost a year since he played seriously in a Goat tournament, but you can't really hold that against someone with a resume like his. With a 3rd place finish at GCT 2014, 2nd place in the DGz Summer 2014 War League, and 3rd place in the DGz Spring 2015 War League, there's little he has left to prove to the community, but he's back today playing the latest incarnation of his beloved Goat Control list (and qualified for this tournament with Pacman, how about that). While Tango went out to get some snacks before Winners Semis, I got time to ask Jazz a few questions.

What deck are you playing today and what led you to play it?

I'm playing Goat Control today because it's one of the top decks and it's my favorite deck to play. I think it's more versatile and more adaptable than Chaos Control when played at a high level. I strongly considered playing PACMAN again after easily beating Chaos Control in the live with it, but I decided this would be a good chance to test Goat Control in the current metagame.

What's your outlook on the Goat metagame right now? In your opinion, if there is a top "tier" of decks, what are they?

I think the metagame is defined by two decks that outclass the others: Goat Control and Chaos Control (angel variant). I think the effectiveness of other decks, like PACMAN or Chaos Recruiter, are largely determined by the composition of the metagame. If the metagame has more Goat Control, Chaos Recruiter becomes viable. If the metagame has more Chaos Control, a lockdown deck like PACMAN becomes viable. I expect the metagame of this tournament to be about 2:1 chaos control to goat control, and a handful of alternate decks that people either play for fun or because they think it's going to be anti-meta.

Who are you most afraid of playing today? Who are you most eager to play against?

I'm probably most afraid of playing Tango because the last time I played him casually he crushed me with a dimension fusion deck. I'd guess he's using that deck today. It's difficult to establish control over that deck because it can both play the control game and hit you with the OTK. I was most eager to play Markus because I knew he'd be on Angel Chaos Control and I wanted to go up against that to test my abilities with my deck and my 'new' siding strategy against it (sub out ddwl + 2 dust, bring in 3rd book + 2 dark mimic). It's always fun to play a friend as well.

In your opinion, who are the top Goat teams on DGz right now?

I don't know. Besides Seraphim? Damage Step and EVIL?

Almost four years ago, you said in an interview that the biggest mistake you still make is "assuming your opponent runs a deck that you would run or plays their cards the way you would." Does this still hold true, in your opinion? Have you overcome it since then, and/or have you discovered new weaknesses in its place?

I've stopped assuming people will run what I run because that's obviously not the case. I've had years of experience playing against random decks, and I've seen the deck I prefer to play (Goat Control) become less popular than many (Zoo, Chaos Turbo, Chaos Recruiter, and now Chaos Control). I've also learned that most people do not play like I do. I think my biggest weakness now is that I don't play as much as I used to. My second biggest weakness is my personal bias toward control decks. I've begun to play other decks more, like PACMAN and combo, but I still hate playing aggro decks.

What feedback do you have regarding your DCS experience so far? What could make it better in the future?

Nothing it's great. I'd love the tournament to be bigger though.

Fuck Marry Kill: Thunder Dragon, Shining Angel, Skilled White Magician, go:

Fuck: Shining Angel because it's not as cool as Airknight Parshath, Kill: Skilled White Magician because it's completely useless, Marry: Thunder Dragon because you inexplicably omitted Magicial Merchant from the question.

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23356

Standings after Day 1

WINNERS FINALS: JAZZ (GOAT CONTROL) VS LUCAS (CHAOS CONTROL)

LOSERS SEMIFINALS: G-SOP (GOAT CONTROL) VS BASED LOLI (CHAOS RECRUITER)

5th. WorldGoneMaad / Tango

7th Masha / Markus

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23356

Top 4 Decklists and Interviews

JAZZ

decklist:

pAAmwb8.png

interview:

Coming soon!

LUCAS

decklist:

uATH1nX.png

interview:

Name: Luke (Lucas) Elder

Greatest dueling influence: mmf

Previous Goat Format accomplishments: None

What deck are you playing today and what led you to play it? What card was your MVP in Day 1?

I netted mmf, and Heavy Storm.

Any thoughts on your Day 1 bracket run?

I didn't get to reveal exodia, so that's a bummer.

Who do you think are your best and worst matchups for tomorrow?

Not sure.

G-SOP

decklist:

DGzCS_Juneau.PNG

interview:

Name: My name is Jisop. It's pronounced G-sop.

Greatest dueling influence: In his prime, Patrick Hoban inspired me to play the game at a competitive level via his ARG articles. Unless you cannot stand grammatical errors, I highly recommend reading Road of the King as well.

Previous Goat Format accomplishments: I won a DGz live and I've gotten 2nd at a Nostalgic Duelist Summer Slam. For the record, I don't consider either of these noteworthy.

What deck are you playing today and what led you to play it? What card was your MVP in Day 1?

I'm playing Goat Control because I think the deck has the most synergy with the strongest cards in the format (Duo, BLS, Meta, and Tsuk). It can play both the beatdown and the control well, and it probably has the least matchup variance. Sadly, Delinquent Duo has been the MVP because I've opened it a stupid number of times today. No justice Serpents for my opponents either, sadly.

Any thoughts on your Day 1 bracket run?

Honestly, other than the first match today vs Lucas (which I lost), I've limped into Day 2 because I drew better than my opponents. It's an awful feeling knowing that you've made top cut by playing cards and not playing opponents.

Contrary to popular belief, I think that Chaos is one of the better matchups so long as I don't play like an idiot (which sadly happened today). They either have Graceful Charity or they don't. As for the worst matchup, I think it's no surprise to anyone that it's TST|Jazz in the Goat Control mirror. He reads you like a children's book and it's scary.

BASED LOLI

decklist:

M3Y7BEZ.png

interview:

Name: ay ay u alredi kno it ya boi lmfao bassed loli bak babby n fuk da bc fuk wat u herd free nudie steve fr bruh all dese new kids out herr lik tf u tink dis is a daycare?? stfu BC change yall name 2 bullit preskool cuz yall childish lmfaoooo shit is ode wak now FREE NUDIE STEVE FREE JERRY FUK YALL KEYBORED WARIERS ya digg (no shovil)

Greatest dueling influence: looool shit a tie u fell me morphing jar aka former sniper @ nhl grinch berovitch cuz dat dud use my dek n tererize kids n steel wifes n shit, he ruin s1 of dg war like he do krismas LOOOOL kriss my ass bich!!! n fuk reggie dude b dedazz da letherface of ygo dude is syko stay da fuk away frum me n stay gon LOOOOL

Previous Goat Format accomplishments: bruh wehn dis format excist i wus legit 12 ROFL vro i wus playin w/ OG tickel me elmos n shit

chao recruts cuz honistly my head look lik a mistic tomatoes LMFAOOOOOO pluss reel shit griss bearvick is overated n i kan easily do nethin he can x10000 w/ minimel efort in dis gam i dun evin need 2 cheet n shit aslo had 2 do it 4 my boi morfin jar AKA BIG P S/O TO BIG P AKA PIMP ON DB.....ok fr tho i wus Tt n im Tt rn so dis dek make sens n cents ya digg........

Any thoughts on your Day 1 bracket run? Who do you think are your best and worst matchups for tomorrow?

LMFAO BRO I DREW ASS LIK EVRY GAME I PLAY HOW U GONA LET ME WIN DIS SHIT AHAHAHAHAHA s/o to wgm for playin dis shit gam longr den me n STILL not knoin how 2 platy ROFL dud a gorila like put him in a fukin zoo rite nxt 2 dat chimp yung metro

bess machup is my toilet n wors machup is wakin up in da AM but fuk it tbh...y or die free nudie steve ypfl gang shit....dese new kids dun evin kno no more lmao....sad lol! i wana play vs lucas i dun wana play vs jisop periud

What do you think of Young Metro?

LOOOL tf a young metro ay young metro tf a "fruit cup" bro yall high skoolrs rly wildin out w/ ya corn n ya fruits n ya paintbals n shit but fuk al dat w/o a keybored n w/o txt u aint shit nicey aint shit BC def aint shit n w/o hitler daryl aint shit LOOOOL yall booty toppins 4reel s/o 2 WGM dude a reel zoo animal honiestly il send u a roolbook....smdh BC change yall name 2 da ringling bros w/ ya animel crackers lookin ass young metro n nicey out here lookin lik performapal ass clowns bruh nicey n metro be a couple o secondonkeys LMFAO kids out herre lookin lik trick clown ROFL no1 reel likes ya ass gtf out my fase lame ass kid

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23356

Day 2 Intro

We're getting ready to head into the Top 4 here at DuelistGroundz Championship Series: Juneau. The two biggest success stories from yesterday were Jazz, seeded 1st in the tournament and the favorite to win it all, and Lucas, the underdog who just keeps on winning, and these two will face off for the first time in Winners' Finals in a battle of Goats and Chaos. A win here for Jazz would be historic: not only would he lock up a seat in the Goat Format winter playoffs, but he would surpass ACP on the all-time GoatRank leaderboard and become the first two-time DCS Champion in the site's history. On the other hand, Lucas had been completely off the competitive radar prior to this week when he spiked DGz Live #214, having fought through two Seraphim members in the Based Loli and G-sop to get here today. He's also the only non-Seraphim in Top 4, and since WGM is kinda paying for his entry, it's kinda like he's an honorary Damage Step member today. What I'm saying is that Winners' Finals is basically going to be Seraphim vs Damage Step. I'm not biased at all.

On the other side of the bracket, Seraphim teammates Based Loli and G-sop will face off for a chance to play in Winners' Finals. As an homage to the legendary Big P, the Based Loli has brought Chaos Recruiter here today, while G-sop is sticking to the tried-and-true Goat Control list that qualified him for this tournament in DGz Live #211. As I reminded the Based Loli last night, the last person to win a DCS from Losers' Bracket was Calvin Tahan in 2015. Both duelists here have spent plenty of time in the top 10 on DGz's WarBot Elo rankings, and today they'll face off for a chance to go straight to the winter playoffs. Be sure to check into our Twitch channel to watch Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals all as they go down tonight at DCS Juneau!

+mmf    23356

Day 2 Winners Finals

+mmf    23356

Day 2 Losers Finals

+mmf    23356

Day 2 Grand Finals

+mmf    23356

Day 2 Wrap-Up

At long last, it's over, and Jazz is now the first two-time DCS Champion! Jazz chalked up another win for Detox Goat this weekend, fighting through a field of Goat mirrors, Chaos Control, and Chaos Recruiter, with an epic two-set Grand Finals to seal the deal and claim his first premier Goat Format title after a grind of almost 13 years. Jazz won his Winners' Finals match this morning in almost robotic fashion, making clean work of Lucas before moving on to his Grand Finals opponent, the Based Loli. The Based Loli took a hard-fought Match 1, pushing the two teammates into another match of Grand Finals for all the marbles, and Jazz ultimately prevailed with a commanding 2-0 to end the tournament!

The Seraphim certainly lived up to their hype this weekend, placing 3 duelists in top 4, closing the the tournament, and proving once again that no one plays the classical Detox Goat list as well as them. The sole representatives of Damage Step and EVIL both failed to make top 4 showings, but Lucas certainly managed to put Reveal Exodia, k? on the map with his 3rd place performance. With his showing here at Juneau this weekend, Jazz will move up to 5th on the all-time GoatRank leaderboard, surpassing Eric Wu, Jorge Lizarraga, and ACP. Thank you again to all of our participants and viewers, and be sure to tune in to the remaining 11 DCS events we have slated for the year!

• Upvote 1

Mascis    4418

Great coverage for a great event. I'm more than happy to help commentate future events. :)