scuzzlebutt

Commentary Applications: January-March (DCS NYC, DGz vs PPG, DSP Winter)

+scuzzlebutt    23491

Please post in this thread with the following information if you would like to be considered for live commentary of Duelistgroundz events in the Winter 2018 season. This includes DCS Dallas (Mar 10-11), DSP Winter (Mar 23-31), as well as Duelistgroundz Live tournaments and Team Duelistgroundz[.com] events. For premier-level events such as DCSes and DSPs, a commentary schedule will be prepared and applicants who are selected will be assigned at least one bloc, usually but not always with a co-commentator.

Name/DGz username:

What year did you start playing YGO? What year did you join DGz?

What credentials and achievements do you have in YGO?

What hours are you generally available to commentate? What hours will you be able to commentate on the following days: March 10-11, March 23-31?

What is the best kind of YGO commentary in your opinion? What kind of commentary do you think you are best at?

What else do you think you can bring to the table as a commentator?

2K18    255

Name/DGz username: Shane

What year did you start playing YGO? What year did you join DGz? 2012 2013

What credentials and achievements do you have in YGO? None

What hours are you generally available to commentate? What hours will you be able to commentate on the following days: March 10-11, March 23-31? Whatever

What is the best kind of YGO commentary in your opinion? What kind of commentary do you think you are best at? Funny

What else do you think you can bring to the table as a commentator? Funny

• Upvote 3

+Mascis    4554

Name/DGz username:

Lucas Henigan / Mascis

Yugi 2002. Dgz 2009

- Dgz 2014 Exarion Goats Tournament Runner-Up

- Alpha Omega Memorial Tournament Winner

- A guy who worked on "Newgioh"

What hours are you generally available to commentate? What hours will you be able to commentate on the following days: March 10-11, March 23-31?

Weekdays currently, after 9PM EST

March 10-11, All day both days

March 23-31, After 7 PM EST on the Weekdays, All day on the weekends

What is the best kind of YGO commentary in your opinion? What kind of commentary do you think you are best at?

Informative while also being somewhat entertaining. You should be competent enough actually recognize the multiple lines of play and call out what each player is trying to do. Also tell a story, get viewers invested in players.

I think i'm ok with the former and a bit better with the latter.

i'll take it seriously, but i'll still make it fun. Also i'm not Shane.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

»Barron    7987

Name/DGz username: Barron

2002, 2009.

My team won last season in both indies & war team.

Too far for me to tell, generally after 10am pst/pdt

Just ones that'd inform players if they made the right play or not after a play is being done so this way if they're listening you don't evolve a play before it happens. Basically that, not trying hard.

Well I won't say some ignorant shit like calling metamorphosis "mepharoris"

Name/DGz username: Masha.

What year did you start playing YGO? What year did you join DGz? 2012/2016

What credentials and achievements do you have in YGOOnce defeated the #1 DG Current Format Duelist Noxjja. (i.e. Absolutely Nothing)

Usually after 9pm EST on weekdays, weekends depend. 

March 10-11: Will be away.

March 23-31: Probably after 7pm EST.

What is the best kind of YGO commentary in your opinion? What kind of commentary do you think you are best at?

Things like pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of certain plays, along with some humourous undertones. I think I'm good at the latter and okay at the former, which would depend on what is being played.

Humour.

BuildTheWalia    249

Name/DGz username: BuildTheWalia

What year did you start playing YGO? What year did you join DGz?

1st time I looked at the game competitively was around 2008 with the release of TDGS, and I joined DGZ June 2017.

What credentials and achievements do you have in YGO?

I got Top 12 at a locals during PePe format with Monarchs.

I would've gotten at least Top 12 at a different locals during Fusion Sub Zoo with Kozmo if it wasn't for my group going out to eat.

http://challonge.com/57amg9p2

Yes, yes, and yes.

(I should be available during that March weekend and at afternoons (PST) during the weekdays unless something comes up)

What is the best kind of YGO commentary in your opinion? What kind of commentary do you think you are best at?

The best kind of commentary isn't reacting to each and every "big play" or simply stating what the players are doing, rather I think it is the comments on the overall game flow and what the game develops into that makes you actually want to listen. Same goes for commentary for other games, you don't want people just reacting to every play, you want people who know what they're talking about discussing the possibilities and actions that each playing is bringing into the game.

In my case, I'm not experienced with the game enough to provide the commentary that someone who has been playing for years and years, but I think I could do a good enough job on covering the basics and making sure that the audience would be engaged enough to keep interest.

The questions someone who is learning the game would think to ask, and asking them live to a group that knows the answer.

nicey    1

Name/DGz username: nicey

What year did you start playing YGO? What year did you join DGz? prolly 2012, joined dgz 2day

What credentials and achievements do you have in YGOdont wanna make rest of applicants look bad

What hours are you generally available to commentate? What hours will you be able to commentate on the following days: March 10-11, March 23-31? anytime

What is the best kind of YGO commentary in your opinion? What kind of commentary do you think you are best at? i can do anythin my g

What else do you think you can bring to the table as a commentator? rest of these niggas dry af, i'l bring life

godbless

Edited by nicey
  • Upvote 1

Name/DGz username:

Joe Pat/Literal Bastard/Spurius Verbatim

What year did you start playing YGO? What year did you join DGz?

I started playing in 2002, joined the site in 2014

What credentials and achievements do you have in YGO?

I once traded all of the banish psychics for a couple of playsets of reborn tengus at a sneak peek.

I played burning abyss the week they were released and won a box tournament.

I was on a goats team with ACP and Trynet and lost to Kris Perovic and Squiddy

I made day 2 of YCS Vegas with Spellbooks in a predominantly Geargia format

march 10 is a no go, work, etc. available all day March 11.

march 23-31, I can do Sunday, Wednesday, Friday all day

Genuinely opinionated commentary is the best. You can just watch the game on mute to get the play by play and pick it up yourself. Commentary should add a layer of personality that allows viewers to feel involved that isn’t just a chat box being acknowledged. I think I’ll give that genuine, opinionated commentary, and if my opinions are wrong, it’ll be a source of discussion, promoting more activity, and if I’m right, then, neat!

Aside from my quirks and flavor, I can help lower the bar of entry for returning players. I haven’t played in about 2 years, so if I get paired with someone who’s currently playing, I can ask questions. I can create a discussion out of thin air about what a card is or why a play was made a certain way, and it won’t come off as contrived. Also, I get old ladies complimenting me on my sexy voice, and it’s happened so many times, I believe it.