Jazz

DCS Juneau 1st Place Report (Goat Format)

Jazz    5328

Hey guys,

In honor of my first win in a "major" Goat Format tournament, I decided to do a post-game commentary series of all my matches, and write up this mini report. I'll explain my deck real quick, then leave the commentary below as the main source of analysis on my matches.

Even though it was only an 8-person tournament, I knew it would be fun and extremely competitive. I expected every player to take it seriously and bring what he thought was his best deck to the tournament. So, even though I had recent success with PACMAN in a DGz Live, I really wanted to test my abilities with Goat Control in this new Chaos-heavy DGz meta. I was expecting to see about 2:1 Chaos Control decks to Goat Control decks, and maybe some anti-meta decks sprinkled in. I think this prediction was about correct.

Here's my deck list:
v7QK3S1.png

There's some explanation of my list in the videos if you'd like to skip reading this, but I think some people would appreciate the extra details.

I'm playing the typical Goat Control list that was developed with Team Detox, but it really dates back to the days when KP won the 2014 Goat Format War League with a very similar list, which then became the "Standard" goat list that everybody net decked. The only difference in the main deck is that we've replaced 2 copies of Exarion Universe with 1 D.D. Warrior Lady and 1 Asura Priest, a couple solid level 4 beaters that help to fill the roles that Exarion Universe played in the original deck.

The side deck was meant to cover Burn, OTK, and other Alt-Win stuff. I specifically tweaked it for the metagame I was expecting to face, however. That's why I sided 2 copies of Dark Mimic LV1 and a third Book of Moon. When I played against Angel Chaos Control, I would take out D.D. Warrior Lady, a card I consider a liability in that matchup, as well as 2 Dust Tornado, which are not as useful as they are in the Goat Control mirror, where I can save them to stop Call of the Haunted and Premature Burial (Chaos Control does not play either of those cards). Dark Mimic is strong against the Chaos Control deck, as it never loses value to Chaos Sorcerer, and it can soak up attacks from Shining Angels and D.D. Warrior Lady. Importantly, now that I've gotten rid of D.D. Warrior Lady and added a couple more flip effects, none of my monsters will be left in face-up position without having already given me value (except Sangan which I will be setting more frequently instead). I ended up setting monsters a lot and playing more passively to avoid Chaos Sorcerer, which worked out quite well. This change also bumps my deck up to 17 monsters, which I feel gives me a slightly stronger early game that helps me respond to early Shining Angels from my opponent. Finally, I am bringing in the 3rd Book of Moon which does a few things: (1) provides extra synergy with a weak flip effect monster like Dark Mimic LV1, (2) functionally helps to replicate the ability of the Dust Tornadoes I sided out to block Snatch Steal, and (3) blocks the Angel Chaos Control player's Thousand-Eyes Restrict more effectively than they can block mine, since a Book on their Thousand-Eyes will never result in them tributing it for Airknight (since they choose not to play Airknight, while I still do).

In hindsight, my side deck was not very good against Aggro decks like Chaos Recruiter, which I struggled against in the Finals. I would have liked to have found space for a third Sakuretsu Armor and 2 Legendary Jujitsu Master for that matchup. I took these cards out at the last minute for 2 Mobius the Frost Monarch and the third Book of Moon. I think it was worth it for the Book of Moon, but I'm skeptical about the Mobius. I'm also skeptical about my decision to include Seven Tools of the Bandit. I was happy at the end of the day to include Trap Dustshoot however. It remains one of my favorite side deck cards.

Finally, thanks to MMF for hosting the tournament. Thanks to The Seraphim (the team I'm on currently) for the support and advice on my deck and how to play. Thanks to the commentators in Voice Chat who joined MMF's streams, the coverage you guys did was fantastic. And finally, thanks to my opponents for being positive human beings and good sports. You guys made the tournament a great experience. 10/10 would play again.

Round 1 vs Markus (Chaos Angel Control) - Win

Round 2 vs Tango (Chaos Angel(?) Control) - Win

Round 3 vs Lucas (Chaos Angel Control) - Win

Round 4 vs Loli (Chaos Recruiter) - Loss

Round 5 vs Loli (Chaos Recruiter) - Win

• Upvote 11

BuildTheWalia    250

Interesting to see you not include Threatening Roar in your side. Did you not expect to face Reasoning/OTK decks, or were you confident that you could outplay them with your current side?

• Upvote 1

Jazz    5328
4 minutes ago, BuildTheWalia said:

Interesting to see you not include Threatening Roar in your side. Did you not expect to face Reasoning/OTK decks, or were you confident that you could outplay them with your current side?

Both.

I think that Dustshoot does a lot of the things Threatening Roar does against OTK but in a different, more aggressive way. I prefer to play Dustshoot and build up a strong board. Flips help me do that too.

If Jay had entered the tournament I would have given extra consideration to Threatening Roar, but looking at the list of players I did not expect to see any OTK. I thought there was a chance somebody might get cheeky with Burn, PACMAN, Last Turn, or Empty Jar though, but not Stein or Cat OTK.

• Thanks 1

+scuzzlebutt    23495

Congrats on winning the second physical trophy in DGz event history. I'm glad the Tournament Report section is being revived by Goat Format duelists.

Dark Mimic is an interesting step away from Roulette Barrel, which is what I'd consider the "standard" sidedeck option for pure Goat in that slot for that matchup. Barrel leaves you with a body on the board where Mimic gives you a card in hand, and cards in hand are often safer than cards on board as Goat vs Chaos. Mimic also combos with Tsuk (whereas barrel+tsuk is kind of a nonbo), and this is pretty important playing first against Angel Chaos.

I think siding out Dust Tornado is a mistake because it's the best card to force them into awkward Scapegoat activations. When they're only ever activating Scapegoat on their terms, it's way easier for them to dodge gamestates where you force them to either 1) deck out or 2) do something really bad like book TER + NoC it. 

It's interesting that so many Goat players are holding out on maining Chaos Sorcerer, which is the best answer in the format to Chaos Sorcerer. Since the Detox line seems to be intent on keeping Merchant even with the addition of Asura and DDWL, it's not like it's even hard for you guys to support Sorcerer.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Jazz    5328
9 hours ago, mmf said:

It's interesting that so many Goat players are holding out on maining Chaos Sorcerer, which is the best answer in the format to Chaos Sorcerer. Since the Detox line seems to be intent on keeping Merchant even with the addition of Asura and DDWL, it's not like it's even hard for you guys to support Sorcerer.

It's also interesting that so many players are holding out on maining Airknight Parshath, which is the best answer in the format to Scapegoat. ;)

• Haha 1

+scuzzlebutt    23495

I think Asura Priest and Tribe-infecting Virus are both better as "splash answers." Airknight Parshath is like that spouse that demands you build your entire life around their whim and demands. You have to do so much with your deck both before the game and during the game to get him to work for you. If I can't fit Magical Merchant, Call of the Haunted, Premature Burial, and X Dust Tornado, I usually don't even think about playing X Airknight Parshath.

Oh, I forgot to mention, good call on siding out DDWL, I hope people don't copy you in the future and continue to banish my first Angel with DDWL on turn 2 literally just because they can.

Jazz    5328
31 minutes ago, mmf said:

I think Asura Priest and Tribe-infecting Virus are both better as "splash answers." Airknight Parshath is like that spouse that demands you build your entire life around their whim and demands.

What if that spouse is incredibly hot and out of your league? Is it worth it then???

+scuzzlebutt    23495

The hottest spouse in the format is Chaos Sorcerer, who accepts me for who I am and doesn't make me play cards that aren't me.

• Upvote 1
  • Pride 2

dale    478

solid playing in that iron man last night. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1