"Oh shit, it's that guy that uses //rainbowtext//."

Nah, not this time around. Don't even know why I even considered doing that.

Anyway, if you even read my "content" regarding what I considered the "best manga", you might be wondering what I consider to be the best "video game". Well, that my friends is easy: Cory in the House for DS. It has superb graphics and voice acting, along with a talented cast that intermingle incredibly well throughout this masterpiece of a game!

Jokes aside, I do have several games in mind that I consider to be the "best": Fallout 2, Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, Shadow of Colossus, Mass Effect (trilogy), etc etc. I have a massive list which could fit all the criteria I believe are needed to be the "best". However, only one can hold the title -- at the very least in my eyes.

So, enough with the cookie-cutter shit, what do I consider to be the best game and why?

latest?cb=20091002011541

Dragon Age: Origins! Now, if you're an avid RPG player like myself then you have most likely played this game, along with its SCI-FI sibling Mass Effect. But this particular game I rank higher than Mass Effect, despite its superior graphics and combat. 

Now Dragon Age isn't exactly the best franchise, mainly because of the disaster that was Dragon Age 2. However, Dragon Age: Origins - All of the DLC included (Awakening practically being its own game) - is a masterpiece that just drags you in. Now, admittedly, the graphics can be a bit off-putting: Morrigan's hair bending all the light around it, sometimes fire would cause the background to disappear, along with just an overall poor polish. Luckily, however, there are mods for that!

But the graphics don't make the game, and isn't necessarily required for immersion (if not completely fucking terrible of course). What Dragon Age does exceptionally well is story, characterization, and building yourself within its world! Each decision you make will have a long-lasting effect, in the game and later editions. None of it is boring besides some of the little fetch-side-quests; Every event and character is intriguing and exciting, especially in regards to Dwarvan politics (I wont spoil much for those you haven't played it). Your party, varying quite a bit -- A dwarf drunk, a Qunari warrior, a Cloister bard, an elf assassin, a cheeky witch, a Tower mage, a smart-elect Templar/Greywarden, and a loyal mabari hound (DLC party members being excluded) -- all have in-depth characterization with ***various*** dialogue options. My favourite characters are Morrigan (witch/bitch), Alistair (sarcastic templar), and Oghren (drunk). However, I do enjoy the other characters as well, I just prefer those a bit more since I am a *coughs* shitposter.

Now, how can you build your character? I will say that "Origins" is not without its meaning. You can choose from these categories: City Elft, Dalish Elft, Tower Mage, Dwarf Noble, Dwarf Commoner, and Human Noble. Each one unique and each one with major decisions that will heavily impact the game later. Here you start your legend into becoming a Grey Warden when you meet Duncan, who eventually recruits you -- albeit through willingness on your own part or the Right of Conscription. In which you then undertake a test and fight the creatures of the Blight in the name of your homeland and king! 

Anyway, enough with characterization and story (mainly because I don't want to spoil it), what about the gameplay? The gameplay is incredibly good, especially in regards to its leveling difficulty (I must press that you play on very hard or Nightmare). The combat is different, unless you played some Divinity, as you need to direct your party a bit. There's a lot of preparation and planning before you go to a certain area or do combat, in which I stress you need bombs and poultices (LOTS). You command your party on what they need to do, what opponents they need to focus on, if they need to be the support or the tank etc. 

You also have to focus on what stats you're going to be leveling on: Strength (STR). Dexterity (DEX), Cunning (CUN), Magic (MAG), Willpower (WP), and Constitution (CON). Not only for yourself, but your team as well. For example, Alistair: STR (40-5), DEX (26-30), and CON (35-45). Or if you're a DEX rogue, you want to put 20-ish on STR, 16 CUN, then everything else on DEX (which should get you to around 80 DEX without equipment, give or take a few points). This is crucial to your play-style and how you want to conduct yourself during combat. 

There are various equipment as well that you need to consider with your classes: Rogue, Warrior, Mage, and the subclasses that are with these. How much defence do you need? Do you need more mobility for backstabs? DEX being your main focus or STR? Your equipment will help immensely, especially the Juggernaut armour for Alistair since he's a tank -- it gives major boosts to magic/element defenses, nicely paired with his Templar abilities.

Now the romances are just *generic French "muah" here*. My favourite romances being Morrigan and Alistair. I wont spoil anything about them, you'll just have to play (if you haven't). However, if you've played Mass Effect, I guarantee you that they definitely shine here in the romance department as they do in MA, if not more-so.

Alright, enough of my blabbering -- GO PLAY THE GAME! It is an amazing ride that you will certainly enjoy!

Now, I'd like you hear/read your thoughts: Do you agree with my points; What are your opinions on Origins; what do you consider to be the "best" game? I would really like to know.

Cheers!!

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2027

DAO is one of my favourite games of all time. Its possibly one of the best western RPG storytelling experiences but doesn't match Trails in the Sky Chapter 1/2 IMO. 

Fall out and Mass effect I've found incredibly bland FYI. 

I'm playing BOTW and this probably has to be it though.  It makes the mundane boring things in video games enjoyable, the plot and story telling mechanisms are excellent and everything just feels so purposeful. Mario Odyssey is up there along with Galaxy. 

Edited by Aaron

+Urthor    10221
8 hours ago, Aaron said:

DAO is one of my favourite games of all time. Its possibly one of the best western RPG storytelling experiences

Found the man who hasn't played Planescape Torment/Witcher 3.  Origins is good but the characters are cliches compared to those two.

Metal Gear Solid 5 easily has the best gameplay loop of all time.  No other game is close to as fun to actually *play*, it has the best gameplay ever of any game except FIFA IMO.  

+rei+    34654

I tend to come back to Portal a lot for this - it combines great gameplay and humour well enough and I think its length really helps it not ever feel stale. Like Portal 2 is good (and Cave Johnson kills it) but its length makes it feel like it drags more than the original

Half Life 2 is the best paced single player first person shooter ever - I'm not sure it's the best  single player FPS, but it certainly has the most thought into its structure and pacing.

Aaron    2027
15 hours ago, Urthor said:

Found the man who hasn't played Planescape Torment/Witcher 3.  Origins is good but the characters are cliches compared to those two.

Metal Gear Solid 5 easily has the best gameplay loop of all time.  No other game is close to as fun to actually *play*, it has the best gameplay ever of any game except FIFA IMO.  

Need to play Witcher 3.

Played Witcher 1/2. I felt DAO engrossed me a lot more than those two [could be due to it being my first PC RPG of course)

+Gemstone Mine    2596

HL2 is the best single player FPS ever made, bar none. Even as old as it is, it still hold up.

Mass Effect 2 is probably the best general  single player shooter. Stellar game in all regards, story, gameplay, etc. ME1 was a fantastic world building game but had a lot of inexcusable flaws, and 3 was a very stagnant game, but 2 is just fantastic in all ways.

Never got into DOA or Witcher. Not for lack of trying, but just can't do it. Doesn't grab me.

Hot take: Skyrim is probably the most overrated game of all time. Like, it's not a bad game by any means, but it would not make any list of the best games in x category, aside from maybe graphics.

+Urthor    10221

HL2's shooter mechanics have been completely overshadowed by more than a decade of nonstop AAA shooters refining the genre so much though.  I tend to think of it as a milestone now, not as the best game evar. 

ME2 shooter mechanics were residentsleeper idk how you call it that.  They were great games for the science fiction and okay for the gameplay

Planescape Torment is a must play though don't just skimp out and only do Witcher 3.  

Skyrim was actually godlike at the time, the issue is that so many games followed the open world model that the combat mechanics look a bit bad now that time has passed.  I loved the fact they made Fallout 4's mechanics so much better even if they went backwards in so many other areas. 

Dank Memeston    1716

I think DA:O is the best crafted game in the series in terms of gameplay systems but it was so time consuming to play and not particularly interesting at many points. I liked the DLC's more, mainly because of the improved companions. I will say that it feels more authentic than Divinity Original Sin 2. In regards to DA@, I thought it was a refreshing take on the RPG genre but there was clearly not enough time to finish this game in any manner beyond what was accomplished. DA3 was fun but the Hinterlands scavenger hunt can kill almost any fun you have in the rest of the game.

If I have to say stuff about ME series I'll agree that ME1 had the best world building. ME2 streamlined a lot of the gameplay elements from 1 that made the combat awkward sometimes - only issue I had was the fact a lot of the companion missions didn't fit in well with the story. ME3 is my favorite of the series but for some unexplainable reason they could not match the scope the story sets out to display. I wish they would have made handcrafted endings but the combat was perfect as well as the DLC.

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine is my favorite DLC and Mass Effect trilogy is my favorite series. Favorite boss battle outside NieR is the Dragon from Dragon's Dogma.

I think NieR Automata: is the best game I have ever played. The music design is very refreshing and the streamlined gameplay controls when there are 3 different methods of gameplay may not be revolutionary but is well implemented. The art direction fits very well with the theme of the game (which is not apparent at first) and almost every facet of the game feeds into other areas to bring together one package that is nothing short of a perfect production. Imo what lies within the production is the most fascinating part; like many anime and japanese video games over the years they try solely to evoke emotion rather that develop worlds and this game does it to a T. If it is not apparent the music design is made so most of the music scheme is actually broken up into moving parts that shift with the areas and enemies of play, becoming more intense and feeding into strenuous points in the game to create stress and fear and doubt and sometimes.... only sometimes happiness.

tl;dr N:A combines high quality production with refreshing gameplay and narrative mechanics to develop a game that not only challenges commonly held beliefs about video games as an art form but also those of reality itself (u know, typical japanese soul crushing shit)

Here is a video of the director explaining a bit of his style:

Edited by Dank Memeston

+Gemstone Mine    2596

ME3 is by far the single biggest waste of potential i've ever seen in a game. It's like 'hey guys, remember that incredibly in-depth universe we build, with deep and fascinating characters? Lets completely fail to add anything to that in any way! Oh yeah, and those amazing characters? Aside from like 4, lets relegate them to stan lee -esque cameos that are literally so forgettable that if they died in a previous game we inserted a nameless character in their place and it changes nothing!. Oh, and you'll love all 3 of the new characters we introduced, who range from boring to boring! We hope you're happy with our high quality product'.

Don't even get me started on the ending bullshit, and I'm not even talking about the actual mechanics of the ending.

Don't get me wrong, it's hard to call ME3 a bad game, it's well put together gameplay wise (I mean, it's a more polished ME2, which while not exactly world shaking is strong enough), and is solid enough, but it absolutely punts the potential of ME 1+2.

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10221

You cannot criticise ME3 for anything that happened before the last 15 minutes IMO, I think it treated all the plot threads other than the ending itself brilliantly 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34654

'HL2's shooter mechanics have been completely overshadowed by more than a decade of nonstop AAA shooters refining the genre so much though.  I tend to think of it as a milestone now, not as the best game evar. '

gonna ask you to support that one - AAA shooters have not done a fucking thing for improving the single player experience since 2004 except "lol there's a cover button now" which I'd argue is actually a different genre of game. 

+Gemstone Mine    2596
4 hours ago, rei said:

'HL2's shooter mechanics have been completely overshadowed by more than a decade of nonstop AAA shooters refining the genre so much though.  I tend to think of it as a milestone now, not as the best game evar. '

gonna ask you to support that one - AAA shooters have not done a fucking thing for improving the single player experience since 2004 except "lol there's a cover button now" which I'd argue is actually a different genre of game. 

yes.

actually shooting mechanics haven't changed much if at all in the past couple of decades. Part of the reason why Doom 1 and 2 still hold up well as shooters despite them being ancient is because fps games really haven't progressed far enough beyond them yet that they feel bad in comparison. I think I've played like 1 game in the past 15 years that made me go 'this game's shooting is a fucking blast', and that was doom 2016, which really wasn't even innovative so much as it was a port of what made doom 1 and 2 great.

Hell, there are still only 2 real models of inventory management in shooters, the halo 2 gun model and the doom 'everything you find' model. Fps games almost embody if it ain't broke don't fix it.

+Urthor    10221

Did you even get around to play Trails in the Sky/Trails of Cold Steel?

I'll think a bit more about HL2 shooter mechanics but while I don't think there has been any marked changes, I feel that overall it is far more likeable to move around, look down sights and shoot enemies in a modern Call of Duty engine for example, than Source Engine 1.  That's irrespective of the other relative qualities of HL2's campaign like level design, enemy variety or somesuch, but I wouldn't say that HL2 deathmatch is fun these days for example.  

+Mascis    4554

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is the best piece of art the meduim of video games has produced. This is unquestionable 

Aaron    2027

i think botw is still the one to beat. its balance of open world, encouragement of exploration and lack of hand holding is great. literally without guides 10 people could complete the game and discover totally different shit. 

trails is my favourite jrpg of all time. once u play it, all other rpgs feel paper thin in regards to character/dialogue. 

dark souls is my favorite for action/rpg/combat BUT it does fall off a clif near the end quality wise. The first 3/4 is breathtaking. 

mario galaxy or odyssey takes platforming very comfortably. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34654
8 hours ago, Urthor said:

, I feel that overall it is far more likeable to move around, look down sights and shoot enemies in a modern Call of Duty engine for example, than Source Engine 1.  That's irrespective of the other relative qualities of HL2's campaign like level design, enemy variety or somesuch, 

it's been surpassed if you ignore all the things that no one has ever surpassed

got it

I think Source Engine (which is no longer Source Engine 1 seeing as HL2 was patched with the Orange Box release... which was holy fuck ten years ago I feel old) has better feeling movement mechanics than modern shooters like the CoD engine, and looking down sights is neither a modern innovation (remember cod2 is the best cod) nor a gamechanger - the gameplay experience of dropping people in HL2 is still intrinsically satisfying, much moreso than in a CoD game, regardless of whether you can iron sight or not

... and yeah HL2 deathmatch blows. It literally exists to meme about how the icon for killing someone with the gravity gun is a toilet 

+Urthor    10221

I mean I maintain exactly what I said, shooting mechanics are still better 10+ years of game development later.  Classic Quake 3 straight movement with flat acceleration curves like source 2 hasn't really been imrpoved on yeah, but the sounds/mechanics of guns in say, Destiny 2's shooting mechanics, Titanfall's shooting mechanics, Battlefield 1's shooting mechanics, Far Cry's shooting mechanics, those have all come a long, long way from HL2 back in the day. 

HL2 has a lot going for it but I'd definitely say MGS5 has it pipped as the best action/adventure shooter.  

+rei+    34654

Literally none of those are improvements over HL2 except arguably MGS5 which a completely different genre. You just say 'oh the mechanics are better' - can you elaborate on that? 

+Urthor    10221

Pulling the trigger on the gun, the gunplay?  Idk how explicitly I have to say the shooting mechanics are better, firing a gun in those games is more entertaining. 

+rei+    34654

I actually feel like Rage did that best, oddly enough

I get that there are certainly games with more satisfying pulling the trigger, but I think dropping enemies themselves is more satisfying in HL2, especially coupled with some of the best sound design ever

Aaron    2027

dont u guys find some of these RPGs incredibly shit in regards to "follow the quest marker"? 

BOTW opened my eyes to this. 

+Urthor    10221

Shoutouts to Kingdom Come Deliverance probably the best game in terms of dealing with the follow the quest marker problem.  It only provides quest markers for 3 quests at a time and doesn't automatically enable them when you finish a quest, so you have to manually turn it on if you need help otherwise you are marker free.  Except for mainquests.  

Aaron    2027
1 hour ago, Urthor said:

Shoutouts to Kingdom Come Deliverance probably the best game in terms of dealing with the follow the quest marker problem.  It only provides quest markers for 3 quests at a time and doesn't automatically enable them when you finish a quest, so you have to manually turn it on if you need help otherwise you are marker free.  Except for mainquests.  

I think the issue with quest markers is a very immersive game really shouldn't be depending on them. Also it takes away from exploration and appreciating level design when you just follow a quest marker.

BOTW is the only game in recent memory which I know of that deals with it well, with most of your quest markers being real markers you put down yourself when looking at the landscape from far above. 

Its my main critique of Xeno2, where I think the world could have been smaller and more detailed rather than just so god damn massive. At one point, I struggled just finding a generic store in these huge ass towns.