Jump to content
d1n0man

Purchase; computer or Xbox/PS

Recommended Posts

d1n0man    41

Background information:

· If I end up getting a computer, I’d prefer a laptop. I'm not exactly tech savvy, so it's easier for me to have everything in one. 

· If I'm looking at something geared towards gaming, the top end of my budget would be somewhere around $1,800 AUD. 

· I have very little experience in gaming. On the occasions that I've played games, it's been on a console; so you could say that I'm a littler more used to a controller, as opposed to a

  keyboard and mouse. 

· Australian internet is a meme. 

 

Concerns - re; computer

By far, the biggest concern of mine would have to be getting good value for money. Not so much in the context of getting an incredible deal and great use out of the device (my circumstances could change quickly), but the expectation vs reality when it comes to the gaming experience. Whereas, the computer should be able to run any of the big titles, I don’t want to be spending all this money to end up playing beautiful, yet borderline unplayable games. 

 

I don’t know what games have favourable servers for Australian’s, so I’ll use an example from a game my brother plays (War Thunder - PC)

SEA 170+

US 250+

Europe 340+

Russia 380+

 

speedtest.PNG?width=288&height=72

 

I think this illustrates my concerns fairly well. Admittedly, I'm going to have to get a new computer soon, but if the PC gaming route just isn't feasible, then I'll just get something for your everyday use. 

 


 

Questions:

Computer or console? Which one and why. 

If computer, recommendations from the ones available (prices are AUD)

Recommendations on games (keep in mind what I said)

Anything extra I need to know if I go the console route? (wifi boosters etc.)

 

If you need any further information, just let me know. 

Thanks.

 

 

Edited by d1n0man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10182

Don't buy anything from Harvey Norman it's the biggest rip off.  When Harvey Norman says "48 months interest free" on the label, what they mean is that they have included 48 months of interest in the margin for every, single, item, in, their store.  It's such a ripoff store.  

 

The correct method is to buy a cheap second hand ex business laptop IMO and then buy a prebuilt desktop PC because those are cheaper atm because GPU and RAM prices.  Like idk what degree of un-tech savvy you are but surely you are savvy enough to have a desktop and a seperate laptop yeah?  And it would be prebuilt to boot. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BuildTheWalia    155

If you want your gaming laptop to have actual value over a desktop, you should have a need for an actual portable PC system. I bring mine around since I travel a lot and also bring it to friend's houses to play games like Melee since we don't have a physical copy. Most people, on the other hand, would be fine with a desktop which still reigns supreme over a laptop (battery life lul).

 

if you actually DO need a gaming laptop, I'd suggest looking at something like https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GL62M-7RD-1407-Performance-SteelSeries/dp/B074VLX5XV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518133764&sr=8-3&keywords=msi%2Bgaming%2Blaptop%2Bgtx%2B1050&dpID=4143Q%2BSyNNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
d1n0man    41
2 hours ago, Urthor said:

Don't buy anything from Harvey Norman it's the biggest rip off.  When Harvey Norman says "48 months interest free" on the label, what they mean is that they have included 48 months of interest in the margin for every, single, item, in, their store.  It's such a ripoff store.  

 

The correct method is to buy a cheap second hand ex business laptop IMO and then buy a prebuilt desktop PC because those are cheaper atm because GPU and RAM prices.  Like idk what degree of un-tech savvy you are but surely you are savvy enough to have a desktop and a seperate laptop yeah?  And it would be prebuilt to boot. 

I was more or less listing these ones, because as far as I'm aware, there's not a great deal of options in the area. I know I'm taking the soft option by looking at low-mid range shit that that's ready to go; it's just that I want to get in there without having to worry about the extra head-fuck. Although, money is hardly an issue for me, it's going to be a big step backwards if I dump too much into something where you're not getting the full experience (refer to previously mentioned concerns). Regardless of how "correct" your suggested method may be, I'm not that keen on putting myself in a position where I'm going to severely regret it; after all, it's not as if I'm currently using my computer for anything but your day-to-day activities. Like, you don't just go out and buy that $700 Cricket bat if you don't even know the rules of the game. 

 

Also, lets just say that I'm not as savvy as one would like to be. Currently using my mum's laptop from 2010? lmao. Gotta save them Shekels if you want to break into the property market. In all seriousness, do you think I would be better off as a console peasant? 

 

Edited by d1n0man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10182

wtf 2010 laptop despite having a budget that you've said yourself is pretty unlimited.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10182

There are a lot of options with purchasing a laptop, so much so that IMO it is one of the harder hardware purchases because trading off a 1080p IPS screen vs mobile CPU/mobile GPU/ram/SSD is actually fairly challenging when there's fuck all price transparency.  But realistically there's like, a million retailers who provide an extremely wide category of laptops that have meaningful differences at different price points, plus second hand laptops. 

 

 

Honestly my long term suggestion is to in fact get mildly computer literate, understand what a CPU and a GPU is, and start moving your gaming to steam progressively and adapt to becoming a PC gamer.  The sunk cost of a console isn't worth paying 60 bucks PA and 110 dollar games from EB games.  

 

How much do you play on Steam tbh?  If you are playing a lot of steam games with mum's ye ole shitbook and you're current use pattern is actually "I'm playing a lot of PC games but I have no idea how to computer" then getting a desktop is still a legitimate decision because you are actually using a PC to game.  If you're not using a PC to game then okay maybe a decent 1060m/1070m laptop is the best thing for you and you then make the decision on whether you will play more games on PC or not.   Best way to buy a laptop in Australia IMO is to trawl gumtree/ebay and find an excellent second hand one if you are spending less than 1200/1300 dollars.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
d1n0man    41
2 hours ago, Urthor said:

wtf 2010 laptop despite having a budget that you've said yourself is pretty unlimited.  

If I still had full-time employment, I wouldn't have made this post today, because I'd still be holding off on a purchase of this nature lol. As I'm now back to sitting on my ass waiting for phone calls from Coles, I thought this would be a magnificent time to fill the void in my life. FYI, I'm not actually doing any form of gaming right now.

2 hours ago, Urthor said:

There are a lot of options with purchasing a laptop, so much so that IMO it is one of the harder hardware purchases because trading off a 1080p IPS screen vs mobile CPU/mobile GPU/ram/SSD is actually fairly challenging when there's fuck all price transparency.  But realistically there's like, a million retailers who provide an extremely wide category of laptops that have meaningful differences at different price points, plus second hand laptops. 

 

 

Honestly my long term suggestion is to in fact get mildly computer literate, understand what a CPU and a GPU is, and start moving your gaming to steam progressively and adapt to becoming a PC gamer.  The sunk cost of a console isn't worth paying 60 bucks PA and 110 dollar games from EB games.  

 

How much do you play on Steam tbh?  If you are playing a lot of steam games with mum's ye ole shitbook and you're current use pattern is actually "I'm playing a lot of PC games but I have no idea how to computer" then getting a desktop is still a legitimate decision because you are actually using a PC to game.  If you're not using a PC to game then okay maybe a decent 1060m/1070m laptop is the best thing for you and you then make the decision on whether you will play more games on PC or not.   Best way to buy a laptop in Australia IMO is to trawl gumtree/ebay and find an excellent second hand one if you are spending less than 1200/1300 dollars.  

Like, as much as I'm not as brain-dead as the average Joe when it comes to technology (not hard), it's pretty evident that I'm not knowledgeable enough to make an informed decision for myself. I think you've offered some great advice, but at the end of the day, it's my money that I'm spending. For this reason, I think it's best if I hold off on the purchase and do a good bit of research. 

 

Thanks for the help. 

 

Edited by d1n0man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34420

Don't buy a console, they are straight up not as good a value preposition as a PC

 

Comparing apples to apples (a PC that is as portable as a console) you'd likely at present be best served by these dells and whatever cheap laptop tickles your fancy

http://www.dell.com/au/p/inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop/pd

 

(also jesus christ those australian prices) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    1984

Get a switch (buy odyssey, botw, mario kart + xenoblade 2) and wait for GPU prices to drop back down.

 

In the Uk due to crypto its a huge rip off at the moment and i wouldn't want to buy a 2 year old gpu for more money than it costed a couple of years ago.

Desktops are a rip off atm even building yourself in the UK. 

 

 

if you do go down the console route, definitely get a Ps4 because its exclusive library is great. 

 

 

 

 

 

I'd personally prioritise

 

1. PC

2. Switch

3. PS4

 

In reality you need all 3 for a complete gaming experience this gen as PS4 has plenty of really great titles. A gaming laptop in theory is amazing.. all ur steam library portable but weight + battery life + heat + charging + lack of convienance in reality makes it  a bit shitty,. 

 

 

Edited by Aaron
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34420

gaming laptops are at a point that the battery life is only a problem when actually gaming (unlike when it was shit to just browse the net) - having to plug in to game isn't a terrible sacrifce when it's an otherwise capable portable machine

 

 

basically what im saying is im really mad my ex broke my alienware even though it was lolalienware

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    1984
12 hours ago, rei said:

gaming laptops are at a point that the battery life is only a problem when actually gaming (unlike when it was shit to just browse the net) - having to plug in to game isn't a terrible sacrifce when it's an otherwise capable portable machine

 

 

basically what im saying is im really mad my ex broke my alienware even though it was lolalienware

 

 

I think it is as I'd be buying a gaming laptop... to game primarily. 

 

I want to be able to play it on long trips, at work, on the toilet,  and having to be stuck near a power outlet is incredibly annoying. 

 

 

I still might end up getting one myself as the desktop GPU prices have skyrocketted here which make the laptops far better value given the additional portability but I'm far from convincing of the battery life and ergonomics (aka using a trackpad as a mouse... or carrying around another mouse which just makes it a big bitch to carry around).  Thats where the Switch is AMAZING. Its gone to work with me everyday, to most toilet adventures, on numerous train trips, hotel stays, etc. 

 

I wish someone would release a steam equivalent switch device with a 720p/maybe 1080p screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34420

you can still get an hour gaming session portably no problem, and frequently can get 2-3 hour gaming sessions without plugging in, its just you aren't gonna see seven hours of power. 

I have a new laptop coming in this week with an i7 and a gtx 1060 - if you want i can see how long i can play like, rise of the tomb raider, before it dies 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34420

i wish those little GPD palmtops were a bit better

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    1984

yup looked into them.. they look awful. 

 

 

Ya don't get me wrong, I WANT a portable steam machine/laptop but for me it needs to have a combination of

 

1. battery life

2. performance

3. portability and slimmish design so i can actually just drop it in a bag.

 

 

 

I'd rather have a smaller screen 13''> and a lower resolution screen with the trade offs of form factor and portability. 

 

 

 

 

I think you've made an excellent decision buying a gaming laptop when most of ur gaming has been done AWAY from the couch/desk.  If you buy one and maybe 5-10% has been portable.. u need to question why u bought it over a desktop and saved £££ and got better performance.

 

Apart from watching porn on my macbook pro, i should have got an imac for example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34420

For me i want to be able to play games when I travel because I like to travel;

Also I don;'t want a separate PC just to have hooked up to my TV when I want to game on it, would rather just hdmi in the laptop 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    1984

I follow your logic. If you find something, let me know.  I'm in work a lot and a portable device to play my huge ass PC library would be awesome. I also want to get into video editting more. Its just finding a machine which ticks all the boxes and I fear for laptop territory to get all of those specs, its 2k+ .. which is enough money to get a 1080ti + some shitty laptop. 

 

I've basically realised I'd rather sacrifice some form of graphical fidelity for actually being able to complete my games. A laptop does make the perfect solution in many respects. 

 

The issue for me is 

1. Price

2. It actually providing a decent experience

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×