Aaron

Gaming laptops..

Aaron    2018
2 hours ago, rei said:

honestly getting an hour and a half out of a notoriously poorly optimized game seems p good to me 

yup that is solid tbh.

power source will always be fairly nearby too. 

+rei+    34627

razer used to have super bad qc problems, not sure if they still do

+rei+    34627

Aaron    2018
12 hours ago, rei said:

razer used to have super bad qc problems, not sure if they still do

is that why u went with dell/alienware?

ive heard their customer service is amazing 

+rei+    34627

Both of the Alienware I bought wre because employer hooked me up with a voucher for a substantial (800 dollar) discount

Aaron    2018
Posted (edited)
On 07/06/2018 at 3:12 PM, rei said:

Both of the Alienware I bought wre because employer hooked me up with a voucher for a substantial (800 dollar) discount

After my research, its between

1. Alienware R13 OLED

2. Razerblade 15 inch 2018

My only issue is I'd rather get the new revision of the R13 whenever it drops as its been out for ages (maybe they add a bigger battery or pass on the OLED-ness to its big brother or decrease the bezels more?) 

OR

I cop the razer which just seems a bit overpriced and the poor customer service is VERY concerning as i have little faith in windows laptops. 

Alienware don't seem bothered at all by MaxQ cards so I wonder if they're just gonna wait for the new NVIDIA cards before dropping a refresh. 

Also for anyone interested in Switch/portable gaming, something called an SX pro is released soon whcih is a pirate cart of the switch = free gamez. 

My other option is to get an ultrawide alienware monitor

A new desktop PC + a graphics card to replace my 670 in my PC downstairs

and then a thin+light laptop which can 60fps basic games for my portable needs. I REALLY miss gaming at a desk at present. Theres something just way more comfortable than couch gaming but starting from scatch in desktop gaming is expensive AF. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34627

you can prob do better for cheaper on the monitor than youd expect 

and yeah the bezels on the 13 arent great - my older 13 was way nicer physically and had a way better touchpad too 

Aaron    2018
6 minutes ago, rei said:

you can prob do better for cheaper on the monitor than youd expect 

and yeah the bezels on the 13 arent great - my older 13 was way nicer physically and had a way better touchpad too 

yup i've been shopping around.

really really want ultrawide. biggest issue is NVIDIA being a bitch with the graphics cards. the new ones still not announced and the current pascal cards still haven't dropped significantly to reflect their age. 

+rei+    34627

i kinad expect amd to have a viable alternative out sooner so maybe keep an eye that way then you can go freesync which is worth every penny

also did some more gaming testing - emulated a psp on gpu for 3 hours without power dying (honestly didnt check where it was at) 

Aaron    2018
8 hours ago, rei said:

i kinad expect amd to have a viable alternative out sooner so maybe keep an eye that way then you can go freesync which is worth every penny

also did some more gaming testing - emulated a psp on gpu for 3 hours without power dying (honestly didnt check where it was at) 

i'll hold fire but i dont expect anything from AMD. 

gsync > freesync

and although freesync comes with no price premium, AMD are 18 months behind NVIDIA, offer cards far more noisier with less or equal performance to nvidia.... at this point in my life i really don't mind  investing 200-300£ into a superior GPU eco system. I know AMDs cards are meant to play a bit better with DX12.. but honestly if mining didnt come around, this gen AMD would have been stung BADLY

+rei+    34627

you are fundamentally incorrect with gysnc being better than freesync - they offer basically the same concept without open standards in the former.. and vega is very competitive with the 1070 which just means the 1080 is a summit card that AMD doesn't compete with - and even then the Vega 64 still beats the 1080 occasionally (For example Hitman and most Vulkan games) . If you aren't purchasing the summit card then they're competitive with each other and going for vendor lock in seems meh-  Vega also tends to do better in 99% percentile frame time than the 1070 and does a fair bit better with Vulkan (as in, beats the 1080 in Vulkan in many titles) your claims of disparity are fundamentally incorrect. 

You are right that AMD cards draw more power, but the Vega 56 is a straight up better deal than the Nvidia 1070 and the 64 is priced around the same as the 1070 for performance between it and the 1080 so like.. what are you even talking about? 

+rei+    34627

(also freesync being open sourced you can convince nvidia's driver to sync with it, obviously this doesnt work the other way around) 

Aaron    2018
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rei said:

you are fundamentally incorrect with gysnc being better than freesync - they offer basically the same concept without open standards in the former.. and vega is very competitive with the 1070 which just means the 1080 is a summit card that AMD doesn't compete with - and even then the Vega 64 still beats the 1080 occasionally (For example Hitman and most Vulkan games) . If you aren't purchasing the summit card then they're competitive with each other and going for vendor lock in seems meh-  Vega also tends to do better in 99% percentile frame time than the 1070 and does a fair bit better with Vulkan (as in, beats the 1080 in Vulkan in many titles) your claims of disparity are fundamentally incorrect. 

You are right that AMD cards draw more power, but the Vega 56 is a straight up better deal than the Nvidia 1070 and the 64 is priced around the same as the 1070 for performance between it and the 1080 so like.. what are you even talking about? 

I understand what you mean but from user experience, I've seen people saying gsync has been much better than free sync. I already understand freesync is open. However if I'm going to invest in a 120hz ultrawide monitor, I feel more confident in NVIDIA bringing cards to the table to power it than AMD. 

I'd rather get a 1070 for it being quieter, more efficient. I get that the AMD cards are more future proof with better vulkan/dx12 support but I can't stand a noisier card for the performance increase in some titles. 

In the UK for an extra £100 you get a 1080ti over the vega 64 btw. Which just smokes everything [and is the only graphics card I'm currently looking at unless the 1070/1060 have more price drops] 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    2018
1 hour ago, rei said:

(also freesync being open sourced you can convince nvidia's driver to sync with it, obviously this doesnt work the other way around) 

I was not aware of this... so I can buy a 10xx card and sync it from a freesync monitor? 

+rei+    34627

yeah you need to edit a text file there are google tutorials. 

+rei+    34627

as for actual tech freesync vs gsync theres no actual advantage one over the other they perform identical functions gsync just has a lockout preventing non nvidia cards from using it 

+rei+    34627

further battery update played ff4 (steam release its a ds port) for two hours and still have 58% battery 

Aaron    2018
13 hours ago, rei said:

further battery update played ff4 (steam release its a ds port) for two hours and still have 58% battery 

rei i just tried "game streaming" using parsec and my MBP and I was pleasantly surprised by the experienced. only used it via local network, going to try mobile phone now tethering but it seems like a semi-decent solution for games not requiring crazy reflexes. Granted I am streaming a 720p screen, looks balls on my  MBP screen but a shitty little ultrabook might make it a bit more palatable. 

+rei+    34627

ive used game streaming and had good results but it was always capable machine to capable machine i havent tried it on something too weak