Sign in to follow this  
IRLAlex

YVD10/Yugioh Virtual Desktop 10

IRLAlex    116

If you just want to play:
Bundled App

This was bundled specifically for windows. You may run into a number of issues.

If you want to develop or mod:
Source Code

This is an open source project. Written in Python 3 (3.6.4 to be exact) using the Kivy Natural User Interface Framework. It comes with a Database Editor inbuilt so you can add cards (via pre-defined excel data) easily enough. It is 100% manual, so cheating is very possible. Uses Listen/Connect via IP to join another persons game.

Deck Editor:

obW3pFw.jpg

If a card is in your main, side or extra, click it to remove it.

If a card is in your search results:
left click it to add to your main deck (or extra deck if it is an extra deck monster)
right click it to add to your side deck

PLAYMAT:

6b1jbqA.jpg

When you connect, your deck will be built from your last loaded deck and shuffled once.
left click on deck (bottom right zone) to draw
right click on your deck to view contents (You can view your banish, extra, graveyard or opponent's banished, graveyard with either button)

Use the shuffle button when applicable after searching your deck

Don't add symbols to your life modifier, use the buttons instead

'Play' will always play a card face-up, 'set' will always play it face-down. If it is a Monster, it will always be rotated, if you want face-up defense, play the card first, then change mode.

Reset Game will:
- Clear *most* of your field (should be all but minor bug, clean the rest up yourself)
- Reload your deck

Note: You can change which deck is loaded by going to your deck editor before resetting, if you do this to, you should reset beforehand, clean up any left over, load deck, then reset again

Note: Your sides will be restored, so make sure to rectify that if you sided previously

Database Editor:

KrtndAj.jpg

There are (or should be) some examples of legacy excel sheets you should use if you want to update the card database. Add images to the database images folder, advised to be jpg for consistency sake for the time being. Make sure to use the database\images + card_image_name + .jpg standard now.

To add cards, place the excel data in the database folder, then write 'excel_data_name.csv' into the Editor's Text Box before hitting add from csv.

Settings:
Not yet implemented

Known Issues:

view side deck opens extra deck

clicking on extra deck opens side deck

game doesn't reset completely

the banished zone sometimes doesn't reset the top card image even if no cards are in it (gy probably does this too)

Player Hand has a hard limit of 10 for the time being, be careful when drawing!

Update Ideas:

More gestures, less buttons for actions (e.g a swipe to move from atk -> def/def -> atk)

Double tap on cards in deck editor to add, so you can view them with a single tap.

Incorporate Yugioh Wikia API into App so it can update straight from a Yugioh Wikia Set Page.

basic animations/sounds/better graphic details in general

Bug Spray.

Edited by IRLAlex
  • Upvote 4

Faint    5823

YVD IS BACK YUGIOH IS BACK

@rei IT'S TIME TO D-D-D-D-D-D-DDDDDDD DEWL

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

+rei+    34622

lmk if you want me to mirror any files on the dg server for easy linkage

IRLAlex    116
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rei said:

lmk if you want me to mirror any files on the dg server for easy linkage

Edited: Nevermind. I misread lmk as link, oops.

I'll probably wait for version2 which should be much better overall.

Edited by IRLAlex

»Pharaoh Atem    15768

We've come full circle haven't we

Myke would be amused

• Upvote 1

~NeoArkadia~    2794
Posted (edited)

Thoughts:

I definitely like a version of "YVD" that can use Pendulums and Links non-awkwardly.

The thing seems extremely buggy though. (Especially since it has a Command Line Code Window open which I'm fairly sure is a no no.)

How easy is the Database to edit when new TCG text comes up? Because that's something of extreme importance to me, if I want to adopt this over the older YVD from XeroCreative.

How do you add or modify the database to begin with? I tried looking and there's just a "Add from CSV File Address" bar. Remember to develop this to be user/idiot proof.

I'm not sure why you're not using something similar to the existant Set File Structure of the original YVD.

Also, is it possible to play Solitaire? I have friends whose computers can never directly connect, but we heavily use play games by playing both our computers Solitaire.

I would really love to see this project develop into a much more stable version.

Edit:

Friends and I have tried to make Decks, it's worked, but we can't load them.

Edited by NeoArkadia

IRLAlex    116
Posted (edited)

The thing seems extremely buggy though. (Especially since it has a Command Line Code Window open which I'm fairly sure is a no no.)

This system was in created in about three months and I'm a relative amateur. This is def very beta, if not alpha.

As for the command line window? Why do you think this is an issue? It isn't exposing anything sensitive in your pc, even if you were to record that part opening, you wouldn't have any sensitive information shown. If you're worried about people editing their game, so they send over a line of code over to your PC, that isn't possible because the receiving computer doesn't evaluate* the code sent over.

*evaluates as in executes, if the code was to be received within in an eval() function or received as an f'string it may have been a problem but the system doesn't work like that. I can't do anything about the CLW without writing this in an entirely different language.

How easy is the Database to edit when new TCG text comes up? Because that's something of extreme importance to me, if I want to adopt this over the older YVD from XeroCreative.

The database is very primitive at the moment and I'm planning a huge overhaul in future iterations so you can do things like edit cards in place, add individual cards. Right now the system is to create an excel sheet like you would for LackeyCCG, save it as a comma delimited csv file and then inside the editor write 'filename'.csv and clicked add. I'll probably also change from csv to json which is far easier to work with in cases like this too.

Also, is it possible to play Solitaire? I have friends whose computers can never directly connect, but we heavily use play games by playing both our computers Solitaire.

You mean by moving around your opponents cards? In a roundabout way you can if you're familler with the code you can because what happens now is when a move happens it builds a string of arguments to send over to your opponent. So you would open two instances on your pc, and write the string command in chat to trigger your opponents actions. This isn't a priority but in later iterations I might try to put that in somehow.

Friends and I have tried to make Decks, it's worked, but we can't load them.

Could you show me a video of what you were doing, so I have a better idea.

Edited by IRLAlex
  • Upvote 1

~NeoArkadia~    2794

As for the command line window? Why do you think this is an issue? It isn't exposing anything sensitive in your pc, even if you were to record that part opening, you wouldn't have any sensitive information shown. If you're worried about people editing their game, so they send over a line of code over to your PC, that isn't possible because the receiving computer doesn't evaluate* the code sent over.

It has more to do with the nature that almost no program worth a damn does it. People, and I mean extremely normal people, will freak out and panic when they see Command Line code. For the average user including folks who download this program, they'll assume they've obtained a virus, broken their computer or worse. Command Line is "not normal" for most people and spooks them.

I'll probably also change from csv to json which is far easier to work with in cases like this too.

Again, keep in mind, users aren't programmers. And most people who will want to use Database editing will want it to be idiot proof, so the easier it is to edit on the user end, the better, I'd wager.

You mean by moving around your opponents cards?

I refer to being able to load your Deck and then draw cards from your Deck and play them without being connected to an opponent, period. An oft-times problem for users of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! Virtual Desktop is the inability to connect via protocols, usually due to firewalls and ISP security. If the program can't load decks without being connected, that makes it far less useful due to that underlying issue of people having trouble connecting. (And it was extremely common back in the day).

As well, plenty of people would often use YVD to test opening hands.

Could you show me a video of what you were doing, so I have a better idea.

No, but I can show you pictures:

From my friend:

blFBZtW.png

"Here's the full deck. I'm clicking Save Deck here."

rRX7ig8.png

"And then I attempt to Load Deck. It erases the deck I had built up on display and then claims no such file exists"
O4WYsOD.png

"Meanwhile, within the Decks folder of the YVD10 folder, the decks exist. <@Linka> Meaning that they successfully saved, they just refuse to be found by the program.

exDBzSC.png
"Also, 40 Bite Shoes", noting the program lacks an ability to limit how many copies of a card you can put in, of even a 3 card cap.

"Clicking Settings also does nothing." As in nothing happens, it opens no window or settings for my friend or I to adjust.

IRLAlex    116
Posted (edited)

Under the TextInput (where you write your deckname) and over the load deck is a button with no name, that opens up a drop down (or up) menu with names of all saved deck, you have to load it from there. The GUI Framework didn't have a clear work on putting a hint_label there without being even less clear. In your picture, you're trying to loadIt is definitely one of the areas to improve.

Settings as mentioned in the OP hasn't been implemented yet at all.

"Also, 40 Bite Shoes", noting the program lacks an ability to limit how many copies of a card you can put in, of even a 3 card cap.

If you want an authoritative rule-embedded program, plenty of them exist. This program is entirely non-authoritative, and the finished product is aiming to be self-sustainable to at least until another rule change on the level of Pendulums or Links comes about (this is why it even has a database *editor*, not updater in the first place). I'd have to consider formats, customs, when to update, allowing previous, validation.

You'll just have to trust your opponents on this one. I was aiming for it to be less of a generic DN-esque random match up app and more of between clan mates for easy testing kind of thing.

For the average user including folks who download this program, they'll assume they've obtained a virus, broken their computer or worse. Command Line is "not normal" for most people and spooks them.

I'm having a hard time believing people who are connecting to each other via IP freaking out about a command prompt.

Again, keep in mind, users aren't programmers. And most people who will want to use Database editing will want it to be idiot proof, so the easier it is to edit on the user end, the better, I'd wager.

Well I did eventually intend for the database editor to be comprehensive, just to be explicit again, here are my goals for it:

- You can add a previously defined set in a (sort of) text file

- You can point to to a url to update a set
- You can edit a card in place (updating proper text etc)
- You can add/delete individual cards

All bar the first from a few minor clicks.

Edited by IRLAlex

~NeoArkadia~    2794
Posted (edited)

Of note, loading should not be tied to a blank non-descript button.

oO39rDG.png

Loading a deck and attempt to Shuffle Main Deck on the Playmat area, the command prompt gives an immediate string of lines before the program crashes entirely.

Attempting to click on the spot where the deck would be also causes the program to crash, again, after loading up the deck.

This is also what happens when you click on the Deck Space. String in Command Window, crash. And then again, same result when you click to Reset Game

Basically attempting to do anything on the Playmat basically causes a string in the command line to occur and then it crashes.

Edited by NeoArkadia

IRLAlex    116
Posted (edited)

Of note, loading should not be tied to a blank non-descript button.

I agree on this.

Basically attempting to do anything on the Playmat basically causes a string in the command line to occur and then it crashes.

Keeping in mind I didn't have solo play in mind when working on this, the idea was to eventually load the playmat screen automatically on connecting with another player (this is at the point when the player decks are actually generated inside the player). So if you load a deck and connect to someone else (For now, maybe create a second instance of the program and use a loop-back address like 127.0.0.1 to connect to your own machine)

Just a note. I feel I may have been poor at communicating at what I was looking to test for this. I wanted to see if things could work (as designed). Plenty of things could be improved, update, made more intuitive but that isn't my (current) goal. The general idea here is to see if once connected, the games run smoothly.

Edited by IRLAlex
  • Upvote 1