scuzzlebutt

Seven Days: DSP Winter + Winter Classic

+scuzzlebutt    23495

We're a week away from the beginning of two postseason events: DuelistGroundz's Winter 2018 Seasonal Playoffs and Winter Classic.

Winter Classic

c8hajXB.png

A lot has happened since Bullet Club emerged victorious in the current-format Autumn split of 2017. With the dissolution of All the Outs, ESPN, and the SeraphimBullet Club now contends with Storm of Ragnarok for the #1 spot after suffering a number of harrowing losses, most notably to Team Egypt of DuelingBook Forums. Two of Bullet Club's stars have also left the franchise to start their own team: Noxjja and Nicey will represent Tea and Biscuits during these postseason events. I heard that Metro briefly held the position of Chief Strategic Coordinator of Bullet Club, but was eventually ousted from the role for his poor performance. Lastly, a familiar face scored quite the upset just two weeks prior at DCS: New York City. Lemo Pear Gang has emerged from the ashes, having gradually rebuilt since their disqualification last fall, and claimed a DCS title through rip kid no cry. Based on their performances from the regular season, Bullet Club, Storm of Ragnarok, and FuZe Gang are likely locked in their seats for the Winter Classic, leaving one spot up for grabs between Bazoo Boys, Tea and Biscuits, and Lemo Pear Gang.

The competition is even more intense on the Goat side of the leaderboard. Neo Sigurimi narrowly carries the first seed over Damage Step, with Workshop for Metalworker and FuZe Gang trailing far behind. Tha 4HUNNIDS and Fluffy Lions will duke it out in exhibition wars to see which, if any, of them can wrestle the #4 seed from FuZe Gang. Four exhibition wins for either team would be enough to do it -- FuZe Gang is not likely to be able to start and finish any wars of their own with only seven remaining days.

Seasonal Playoffs - Winter 2018

For almost three months now, the Goat community has wrestled with a singular question: who will stop Jazz? With back-to-back wins at the last two GS-certified events, one of which earned him his seat in this very event, Jazz is the most decorated Goat duelist in the entire league by a long shot. In those three months, Jazz has also fired back strongly against the common concerns towards the end of last year that the format could devolve into Chaos Control mirrors, having won both DCS Juneau and FLC1 with the same pure Goat Control list. It turns out that the shock in pure Goat Control lists observed in the field of the Alpha Omega Memorial wasn't just an altruistic gesture to honor Max Suffridge (RIP) -- it was, in fact, the early symptoms of a full-on renaissance of the archetype of Goat Control.

Defending Seasonal Playoff champion MMF will be the first of Jazz's contenders, but likely not the last: Mascis, HyperBeam, and Chevalier de Fromage have all teetered back and forth on the brink of Master Duelist rank over the course of the Winter season, the latter two hot off their Day 2 performances at FLC2 just this past weekend. Fan (but not Masha) favorite Kasper has also breached the coveted 100 Elo mark very recently, leaving him as Jazz's projected first-round opponent if no one else follows suit. However, trailing these five are WGM, Brandis72, Soul, SilverTristan, Carl Waite and Shining Blue-eyes along with a few other duelists such as Gojira and G-sop who are inactive as of now, but could still spike the Elo ratings in the remaining week of the season.

Three competitors in this season's current-format playoffs are all but certain: rip kid no cry, Noxjja, and Chevalier de Fromage. Tristan's losses to rip kid at DCS: NYC have left him just outside Master Duelist rank, but for most of the season he maintained it comfortably (while winning back-to-back Card Overflow monthlies) and could easily make up for his losses in the remaining week of ranked play. Knowing that every win he scores is a win against Metro and his peanut gallery, Noxjja will be playing at the top of his game with his beloved Odd-Eyes deck, while it remains to be seen what Storm of Ragnarok and Lemo Pear Gang have in store for this event.

• Wow 1

Me.    57
8 hours ago, Noxjja said:

Bullet Club lost to Team Egypt? What a joke!

I saw you help them with losing.

+scuzzlebutt    23495
12 hours ago, Noxjja said:

Bullet Club lost to Team Egypt? What a joke!

yuugi.thumb.jpg.0781eb355af10b69c82d7626

Jazz    5327

OH I only have a week to crack 100 ELO then hmm

Me.    57
2 hours ago, Jazz said:

OH I only have a week to crack 100 ELO then hmm

You should already be qualified by winning the DCS.

+scuzzlebutt    23495
1 hour ago, Me. said:

You should already be qualified by winning the DCS.

I think he means in order to secure the bye