9. Anthony "Big Shark" Alvarado
10. Matt Peddle

Agreed any thoughts?

Edited by ygo pro
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7
  • Pride 1

»Noelle    5847

this list just displays a stunning ignorance of everything that happened after teledad format lmao, basically the last decade of this game.

while i think the current best players and the old best players are roughly comparable in terms of technical play, the current players are far and away better at deck building. they've been enriched culturally with all the theoretical discussions that have been worked out in articles, on forums (especially this one,) and by a major technological leap with Dueling Network. 

DN revolutionized not only how we practice (ye ol "dn grind,") but also exploded the amount of data we have to go on. we're not in the dark anymore.

between comparable technical play and better deckbuilding, i believe i'm justified in asserting that the current best players are better than the old best players.

the usual responses to this from older-minded players is liable to collapse into a type of "scrub mentality," a cynicism about current format. they'll argue that what we may have gained in deck building, we lost in technical play. but this isn't true at all, some of the most technical formats have been 2013, 2014, and 2015. they'll look at all the generalized 3 ofs and 1 ofs we've worked out, contra the old garbage theories about non-searchable 2 ofs, and not interpret it as an advance in our concepts of deck building, but as a streamlining and dumbing down of deck building as such!

now, when you say "greatest," you might mean some notion of "superstardom" that, i'd agree, doesn't really exist anymore. people don't look at the current best players (with some exceptions in patrick etc) how they looked at the best players back then. there's a sort of "down-to-earthness" in the newer best players. so maybe in that sense of "greatness," i'd have less to contend your post with.

but just remember, that sense of "greatness" can't be confused with "best." 

• Upvote 3

»Noelle    5847
13 minutes ago, Noelle said:

there's a sort of "down-to-earthness" in the newer best players.

come to think of it, the source of this "down-to-earthness" is likely in the cultural impact of the ARG circuit series. 

+rei+    34640

> acting as if the DN grind was a new thing and there wasn't similar grinds on the XC ladder

+Mascis    4553

Actually, I’m better than all these players 

+mmf    23484
1 hour ago, rei said:

> acting as if the DN grind was a new thing and there wasn't similar grinds on the XC ladder

XC, YVD, etc didn't have nearly the pull that DN did though

If a ygo player has to download something the odds they will use it go down by 50%

If they have to install something on top of that its another 25% less

I have something of a unique perspective on this having been around and active right around when the "shift" happened

It really did change the way we practiced and prepared, old and new players alike will tell you this. The actual capabilities of the program were irrelevant in DN's case -- it didn't add any new functionality at all, it just brought in 10x the audience that the previous sims ever did. DN was when "the internet" stopped functioning as a single region of its own for preparation purposes and started functioning as a bridge between regions

4 hours ago, Noelle said:

there's a sort of "down-to-earthness" in the newer best players.

Rose tinted goggles + regional bias

The new pros aren't like noah, albanese, furman etc everywhere. In texas most of them are tangibly shittier than their predecessors both as people and players, and if any of them are ever actually acting down-to-earth, it's certainly an act to conceal some form of cheating. I remember how good our region looked the year we sent Pedigo to worlds. By contrast, since then we've sent Jimmy Nguyen twice

»Noelle    5847
1 hour ago, rei said:

i started playing at the tail end of the xerocreative and yvd era. it wasnt the same lol. take it from someone who was actually a former dn grinder. would have taken me less time to stop sucking if it was the same. dn grind was just a substantially different experience, esp at the highest ELOs (1600s-2000s.)

45 minutes ago, mmf said:

Rose tinted goggles + regional bias

The new pros aren't like noah, albanese, furman etc everywhere. In texas most of them are tangibly shittier than their predecessors both as people and players, and if any of them are ever actually acting down-to-earth, it's certainly an act to conceal some form of cheating. I remember how good our region looked the year we sent Pedigo to worlds. By contrast, since then we've sent Jimmy Nguyen twice

yeah but even though, as we've talked about before, cheating has seemed to shift regions over the course of the game, i still dont think its as bad as it was back then even with those differences in mind.

look at the list in the OP, at least two of them are just known savage cheaters, probably more realistically. now think of the top 10 players currently (ignore 2014 that was a bad year lmao.) are any of them confirmed cheaters? are there even rumors? not really.

»Noelle    5847

further, i think that with more knowledge about catching cheating being popularized (as it started to become in the early 2010s,) it has made the more recent forms of cheating become more sophisticated.

take the epidemic of it in 2014, for example. what we dealt with then as the predominant form of cheating was not the vulgar stacking of the late 2000s and early 2010s, but rather, people would make plays that they knew were illegal so that, if their opp caught it, they could just say "oh my mistake" and redo, and if they didnt catch it, they gain an advantage.

thats relatively more complex than summoning a gadget monster and adding future fusion to your hand, wouldnt you say?

id argue that the higher sophistication of this tactic raises the bar and makes for less cheaters overall, since the dumber cheaters who could only stack their deck wont be able to make convincing plays like that.

ygo pro    4
1 hour ago, Mascis said:

Actually, I’m better than all these players 

Emon would def have over 6 titles if he wasn't unjustly banned.

• Pride 1

»Noelle    5847

did i say 2 confirmed cheaters i meant 3

throwback 

+Mascis    4553
2 hours ago, ygo pro said:

Emon would def have over 6 titles if he wasn't unjustly banned.

too bad he's banned and im the better player

+mmf    23484
2 hours ago, Noelle said:

yeah but even though, as we've talked about before, cheating has seemed to shift regions over the course of the game, i still dont think its as bad as it was back then even with those differences in mind.

look at the list in the OP, at least two of them are just known savage cheaters, probably more realistically. now think of the top 10 players currently (ignore 2014 that was a bad year lmao.) are any of them confirmed cheaters? are there even rumors? not really.

there are more ways to be a disappointing human being than cheating

+Mascis    4553

image.png

• Upvote 1

pablopablo    142
Posted (edited)

Most of these people are cheaters and suck. Like if I played CCV and stacked I could probably have won an event or two. Anyone who isn't a literal moron could

edit: by most of these people I mean Adam Corn

Edited by pablopablo
clarification
  • Downvote 2

Faint    5841

weighing in re: older players

conspire is the best duelist

Haruki    9172

• Upvote 1

+Mascis    4553

Remember when Emon lost to a literal child? 

Greatest player of all time 

• Upvote 1

Haruki    9172

max suffridge is the greatest yugioh player of all time

• Upvote 4