Ni no Kuni - narrowly missed out

TLOU - objectively superb, but didn't enjoy it

Witcher 2 - flawed diamond

Bioshock Infinite - no skill

Persona 4 - buff + heal, stories a bit emo sometimes 

XCOM - FE comfortably beats it in most departments

FO3/NV - Neither build atmosphere and likebility of characters like JRPGs

Bravely Default - last 1/3 of the game was crap

Currently playing ME2 which after 9 hours would be pushing into the HM. 

What're yours? :)

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34446

Portal was 2007 otherwise i'd include it 

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Undertale
Starcraft 2
Bioshock: Infinite
Nier Automata
Fallout: New Vegas
Hotline Miami
Dark Souls 3
Portal 2 
Doom

Honourable Mention and Guilty Pleasures:
Katawa Shoujo, Tomb Raider 2013, Final Fantasy XV, Witcher 3, Saints Row 2, Towerfall, Persona 5
I haven't played Breath of the Wild.

10. Fire Emblem: Awakening

9. Batman Arkham City

8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

7. Splatoon 2

6. Pokemon Platinum

5. Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy

4. League of Legends

3. The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

All credit to Skyrim which introduced me to open world games, but this was the one i feel perfected it. the SECOND i exited that cave my breath was taken away by the gigantic landscape, the vast world to explore and the sheer amount of things to do. i still play it i'm still nowhere near even close to being done with it. its just fantastic

2. Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest

This is a personal one, i completed this game on Lunatic difficulty, which if you couldnt tell by the name almost drove me insane. but when i finally completed it, i felt more satisfied than i had felt with any game before or since. the story is as thin as a dollar store napkin but the gameplay is phenomenal and the difficulty is intense but fair to experienced players. 

1. Xenoblade Chronicles

XBC 2 is great so far, but the original just blew me away. it took awhile to get going but once you step out of that cave into the massive Gaur Plain and the world opens up to you. you set off on an epic journey like no other. the combat system is fair and fun, the party members are all amazing. the game has one of the best storys in gaming history and to top it off it's challenging for newcomers and veterans alike depending on how you want to play it plus it has so much to do and so much replayability. my first 100% playthrough took over 100 hours. no other game has ever taken me that long (though Breath of the Wild might beat that record for me). i just cant describe it any other way but Spectacular. 

• Haha 1

Mascis    4468

image.png

• Upvote 1

+Gemstone Mine    2589

10. Tomb Raider 2013

9. League of Legends

8. Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

7. FTL: Faster than Light

6. Borderlands 2

5. Portal 2

4. Fallout 3

3. Doom 2016

2. Path of Exile

1. Mass Effect 2

• Haha 1

Bazoo    5692

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Street Fighter IV

Papers Please

999 and/or Virtue's Last Reward

Dungeon Traveler 2

Borderlands 2

Walking Dead Telltale Season One

Pokemon Black/White

Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Galaxy

• Upvote 2

+rei+    34446

I made my honourable mention section because i needed a spot for papers please and 999 and forgot to put both of them in it rofl

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34446

haha reacts for anyone who put league of legends please never talk about video games again 

+Gemstone Mine    2589
5 hours ago, rei said:

haha reacts for anyone who put league of legends please never talk about video games again 

says the person who unironically included bioshock infinite on the actual list, even HM is a stretch.

Whether you like it or not (and considering it has one of if not the single largest playerbase of any game in history, gonna go with minority), league's influence  on the industry from the moba aspect to esports to f2p games, and sheer staying power makes it impossible to not include.

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10188

I don't see how the game that arguably kicked off the free to play model in video games, period, and the one I'd probably give the best MOBA prize to even after the test of time is irrelevant.  It's fundamentally a good MOBA even if you hate the MOBA genre for destroying the RTS community.  

Also the Bioshock games have aged fairly badly.  Too many AAA FPS engines are far, far superior to Unreal engine 3 games.  

+Urthor    10188

Stardew Valley

FTL

Witcher 3 (blood n stone expansion best witcher)

Metal Gear Solid 5

The Nameless Mod

Mass Effect 3 if you chop off the last 15 minutes

GTA 5 Singleplayer

Red Dead Redemption

Final Fantasy XIV

Trails in the Sky 

Aaron    1995
3 hours ago, Urthor said:

Stardew Valley

FTL

Witcher 3 (blood n stone expansion best witcher)

Metal Gear Solid 5

The Nameless Mod

Mass Effect 3 if you chop off the last 15 minutes

GTA 5 Singleplayer

Red Dead Redemption

Final Fantasy XIV

Trails in the Sky 

idk why but i was expecting more gems which i havent heard of from your list. 

+Urthor    10188

It's rare for gems to actually outshine GTA5 or Witcher 3, and it's only a 10 game list.  The Nameless mod is probably the only one that I can recall and would actually bump an all time great title off.  Titles like West of Loathing, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Ghost of a Tale,  Sunless Sea, Sorcery!, 80 Days, Sleeping Dogs, are actually whopping gems but don't really make a top 10 list over the literal GTA 5.  

Warhammer 2 and Kingdome Come I agonised the most over because Warhammer 2 is actually the best total war game by a huge margin but the business model is ridiculous, and Kingdom Come felt like the most recent thing I played bias, and it peaks early.   Divinity 2 as well. 

Fall From Heaven 2, Nehrim would have made the cut but they are more than 10y old so :shrug:

And yeah games that aren't on my Steam list and aren't on my hard drive can easily get forgotten.  

+rei+    34446
18 hours ago, Gemstone Mine said:

says the person who unironically included bioshock infinite on the actual list, even HM is a stretch.

Whether you like it or not (and considering it has one of if not the single largest playerbase of any game in history, gonna go with minority), league's influence  on the industry from the moba aspect to esports to f2p games, and sheer staying power makes it impossible to not include.

Yeah I was going by quality, of which its neither the impetus (AoS) or best (DOta2) of is genre 

League took esports infrastructure that was already there and struck at the right time to get a dominant sized player base. It's neither as important as what actually established said infrastructure nor does it actually have any quality worth respecting compared to its contemporaries. 

If we were going by player base everyones number one would be minecraft. Related did you know that Thriller and Back in Black are the best albums of all time? Did you know White Christmas is the best song of all time? 

• Upvote 2

+rei+    34446

...and didnt trails in the sky come out 12-14 years ago? 

• Haha 1

Aaron    1995
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Urthor said:

It's rare for gems to actually outshine GTA5 or Witcher 3, and it's only a 10 game list.  The Nameless mod is probably the only one that I can recall and would actually bump an all time great title off.  Titles like West of Loathing, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Ghost of a Tale,  Sunless Sea, Sorcery!, 80 Days, Sleeping Dogs, are actually whopping gems but don't really make a top 10 list over the literal GTA 5.  

Warhammer 2 and Kingdome Come I agonised the most over because Warhammer 2 is actually the best total war game by a huge margin but the business model is ridiculous, and Kingdom Come felt like the most recent thing I played bias, and it peaks early.   Divinity 2 as well. 

Fall From Heaven 2, Nehrim would have made the cut but they are more than 10y old so :shrug:

And yeah games that aren't on my Steam list and aren't on my hard drive can easily get forgotten.  

I just finished ME2 and was.. underwhelmed. People say its ridiculously amazing and I found it really nice, especially the start. However it was very contained and repetitive. Travel galaxy in shitty spaceship -> visit planet -> recruit/solve a party member by fighting corridors of enemy  and repeat. 

I think I actually enjoyed ME1 more... ME2 I was just stuck on that ship all day and the plot after the introduction of cebrebrus was VERY slow. It was basically me recruiting people then assaulting the collector base. Just all a bit anti-climactic. 

Does ME3 improve the formula? I tried to google a decent review but they are all crying about the ending so I stopped reading. 

Haha I haven't played either yet so I'm missing out until graphics card prices normalise. 

I was surprised you have Trails in the Sky so I was expecting a few more story driven RPGs. 

I might do RDR at some point. I tried to play it last year and it was good for the first 1/2 hour to an hour. Wish there was a PC port tho. 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    1995
8 hours ago, rei said:

Im guessing hes going off of the PSP release which was only 2011 i think... 

+Urthor    10188
8 hours ago, rei said:

Not in english and there wasn't a fanpatch so I reckon that counts.   

Dota 2 I would not classify as the best of its genre by any stretch, the game is less enjoyable than League/HoTs between zero and 500 hours of total playtime which I think is a pretty good criteria for saying it's not the industry leading best game IMO.   Dota2s appeal is that the mastery curve of its micro is unlimited and far more in depth than other MOBAs, but on the flipside its mechanics are actually pretty awful to learn and it puts a huge mechanical barrier on its accessibility.  I ultimately don't really value a game based on how micro intensive it is and I think the point of MOBAs is you're supposed to be playing a game, not executing FGC style combos with a high level of mastery.  League on the other hand is far less punishing mechanically and more of a game knowledge test.    

It'd be like if all three Starcraft races were Zerg level punishing to newer players, that'd actually impact the enjoyability of the game overall. 

If HoTs XP mechanic was slightly better it'd edge league easily as the best MOBA to actually play, but the XP soak mechanics are super inane.  

ME3 doesn't change the formula the storytelling is just 10/10 IMO.  If you didn't like ME2 gameplay or storytelling you won't like 3, same engine same loading screen barrage, but if you liked ME2 but wanted more space opera less space sitcom it's a step up.  

Aaron    1995
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Urthor said:

Dota 2 I would not classify as the best of its genre by any stretch, the game is less enjoyable than League/HoTs between zero and 500 hours of total playtime which I think is a pretty good criteria for saying it's not the industry leading best game IMO.   Dota2s appeal is that the mastery curve of its micro is unlimited and far more in depth than other MOBAs, but on the flipside its mechanics are actually pretty awful to learn and it puts a huge mechanical barrier on its accessibility.  I ultimately don't really value a game based on how micro intensive it is and I think the point of MOBAs is you're supposed to be playing a game, not executing FGC style combos with a high level of mastery.  League on the other hand is far less punishing mechanically and more of a game knowledge test.    

It'd be like if all three Starcraft races were Zerg level punishing to newer players, that'd actually impact the enjoyability of the game overall. 

If HoTs XP mechanic was slightly better it'd edge league easily as the best MOBA to actually play, but the XP soak mechanics are super inane.  

ME3 doesn't change the formula the storytelling is just 10/10 IMO.  If you didn't like ME2 gameplay or storytelling you won't like 3, same engine same loading screen barrage, but if you liked ME2 but wanted more space opera less space sitcom it's a step up.  

I reckon its counts too.

My issue with ME 2 is I felt like the game was just introducing characters to me and giving them one plot story point. Most worlds were only visited once and had little to do.  I enjoyed it, I just felt like they could have halved the length and increased the quality, decreased the boredom. The story and plot felt very lacking compared to what I was expecting.  The plot didnt really interconnect or grow like most top class RPGs I've experienced bar the quest involving Kasumi, the shadowbroker probably. 

I'm glad they ditched the mako from ME1. 

I think I'll hope on ME3 maybe having trying out divinity original sin. 

ME1 had more mystery about who the enemy was.. ME2 was like hi its the collectors, lets go after them at the end of the game. 

If the storytelling is much improved though, I'll play Me3 before divinity. 

Edited by Aaron

Sophocles    2902

Bastion

Thomas Was Alone

Breath of the Wild

Skyrim (makes it thanks to mods)

The Last of us

Fallout 3

Portal 2

Civilization 5 (BNW expansion)

Witcher 3

Mass Effect 2

not ordered

• Upvote 1

Sophocles    2902

Despite the resurgence of top-down RPGs in the last 5 years (Wasteland 2, Torment, Divinity OS, PoE,...) none of them trump the more mainstream RPGs of the last 10 years, that's a bit of a letdown

Aaron    1995
2 hours ago, Sophocles said:

Bastion

Thomas Was Alone

Breath of the Wild

Skyrim (makes it thanks to mods)

The Last of us

Fallout 3

Portal 2

Civilization 5 (BNW expansion)

Witcher 3

Mass Effect 2

not ordered

What makes mass effect 2 stand out to you? 

Aaron    1995
21 hours ago, Urthor said:

Urthor which difficulty did you choose for divinity OS? 

+Urthor    10188
17 hours ago, Sophocles said:

Despite the resurgence of top-down RPGs in the last 5 years (Wasteland 2, Torment, Divinity OS, PoE,...) none of them trump the more mainstream RPGs of the last 10 years, that's a bit of a letdown

Divinity 2 surely makes the top 15, the issue is the last act is garbage and a hot mess of bugs and unfinished content in general.  

PoE2 will be a rip snorter IMO, the White march expansion for PoE was Baldur's gate 2 level quality, but nobody played it.  I bet they replicate that and it'll be an extraordinary game

Divinity OS 1?  Probably normal, IMO upping the difficulty just gives greater health bars and isn't really that fun but I honestly don't remember.  I rarely turn up difficulties on games where it's just higher health bars, only on very few games do I actually sign up for the challenge mode.