Sign in to follow this  
mmf

DuelistGroundz Championship Series: Dallas | Coverage Thread

+mmf    23460

Thp5WMP.png

Day 1 Intro

Welcome to DuelistGroundz Championship Series: Dallas, the first Goat Format event of the Spring season! This tournament is shaping up to be an Arcadian of sorts, with only one GoatRanked player but plenty of Master Duelists in attendance. Chevalier de Fromage, Silverdude, and Markus will be looking to make the upset over KASPER, the current #1-ranked player in Goat Format on DuelistGroundz. Yinsun/Wavy is also back after his breakout Day 2 performance at FLC 2 just a few weeks earlier.

We've got plenty of decks poised to take the event here today, including mainstays such as Goat Control and Chaos Control as well as fringe choices like Empty Jar and even Reversal Quiz. Chaos Turbo is notably absent, despite its strong showing at FLC 2, but Chaos Sorcerer will be well-represented in the hands of many duelists nonetheless. Over the past three months, players have cycled through countless iterations of tech for the Chaos Control matchup, and this phenomenon is sure to repeat itself this weekend with duelists like KASPER and Silver at the forefront of the anti-Chaos metagame.

dcsdallas.svg

Click here to tune into our Twitch channel for live coverage of Day 1, starting at 11:00 AM EST on Saturday

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Day 1 Deck Profile

Silverdude's Hypermodern Goat Control

In my opinion, this is, without a doubt, the best deck Silverdude has ever played in Goat Format.

Ifnn8cg.png

Silver has trimmed absolutely all of the fat off of the standard Goat Control monster lineup. He's eschewed classics like Asura Priest and D.D. Warrior Lady in favor of tried-and-true Flip Effects like Dark Mimic LV1 and Dekoichi. Where most players would play a Morphing Jar, Silver plays a single Mystic Swordsman LV2 mainboarded, a card with a fascinating position in the current metagame. Silver's lineup represents an understanding of a core dynamic of the matchup against Chaos Sorcerer: face-down monsters are better than face-up monsters. The most reliable win condition for pure Goat Control is a good, old-fashioned Tsukuyomi combo, and Silver's deck is excellent at churning those out, almost at will.

The Spell/Trap lineup, however, is where the Main Deck really shines here. Silver is playing full sets of Book of Moon, Scapegoat, and Metamorphosis, by far the most important Spells to have as a Goat player playing against a Chaos player. He's shaved mainboard copies of Dust Tornado and Sakuretsu Armor in order to do so, a decision that has quickly proven effective on Day 1 today with a total lack of aggressive decks such as Beastdown or Chaos Recruiter in the field.

Silver's Side Deck is the most comprehensive part of his toolbox this weekend. Here he keeps a single Reinforcement of the Army alongside Ninja Grandmaster Sasuke and D.D. Warrior Lady, both excellent choices against Chaos Sorcerer decks. Two Bottomless Trap Hole hedge against the Aggro variants that have taken War League by storm as of late, while Solemn Judgment and Trap Dustshoot in conjunction cover almost all of the combo decks in the field. Nobleman of Extermination is a key tech card against other Solemn Judgments, not to mention Seven Tools of the Bandit, another sidedeck choice that's seen a resurgence in 2018.

Silver is undefeated heading into Day 2 with his deck, facing newcomer Ib Sauce in Winners Finals tomorrow. Be sure to tune in on our Twitch channel!

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Day 1 Feature Matches

DT KASPER vs rip kid no cry

rip kid no cry vs Chevalier de Fromage

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Standings After Day 1

WINNERS FINALS: SILVER (GOAT CONTROL) vs IB SAUCE (GOAT CONTROL)

LOSERS SEMIFINALS: CHEVALIER DE FROMAGE (EMPTY JAR) vs YINSUN/WAVY (CHAOS CONTROL)

5th. rip kid no cry / Markus

7th. DT KASPER / Tristan

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Top 4 Decklists & Interviews

IB SAUCE

decklist:

5zrQNDw.png

interview:

Name: Ib

Previous accomplishments: I beatdown a blue-eyes player with an Electric Virus late game for grand finals at my local card shop. Yeah, I'm really new to this. first goat tournament ever OWO

What deck are you playing and what led you to play it?
I'm playing a clone of Perovic's most popular deck I think. I swapped out the Asura Priest for D.D. Assailant and swapped out an Air Knight for Jinzo. My mentality for maining Jinzo was I was anticapating a lot of "rogue" decks so I thought a game 1 Jinzo would come in handy against high trap users. As for D.D. Assailant, imo, D.D. Assailant looks cooler than Asura and tbh, I feel rascist using Asura so I rather side it than main deck it. That way, if I need it, it's like I'm praying to the gods Asura is based on (Like Agni, Vedic God or fire or Varuna, Vedic god of Water) for help. And I played this deck because what better way to learn goat format than to use goat control. o 3o

What card was your MVP in Day 1?
Creature Swap hands down. I read on the FormatLibrary side decking guide that creature swap was really good against Chaos. It didnt really help game 2 cause he opened pretty bad and I opened the nuts. But game three, it pretty much secured me a win. My only regret was that I only sided in 1 instead of both... =w=

Who do you think are your best and worst matchups for tomorrow?
I have no idea. These players and communities are all new to me so I'm just excited to play against new decks and players. ^w^ I'm really excited to play against that empty jar deck though if I get the chance, that deck concept looks cool af!!! •£•

What's the hottest new thing in Goat Format right now?
uhhh.... uhhhh..... idk. GreenKappa pretty sexy, that moist green skin, that -10% body fat, those long, greasy, luscious locks, makes me excited just thinking about it. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

SILVER

decklist:

Ifnn8cg.png

interview:

Name: Miguel Corrales

Previous accomplishments: I have won a fortnite solo game, I beat Jazz, and I also managed to bait noc with breaker. But my other less important accomplishments are winning multiple gold medals at music competitions and marching competitions. Not many YGO accomplishments other than winning small regionals for Nats invites.

What deck are you playing and what led you to play it?
I played goat control because I felt it was the best deck to counter goat control.

D1 MVP was most likely Solemn Judgment since it won me my empty jar match-up, which i previously struggled against.

I think my worst match-up is empty jar game 1.

something lame

CHEVALIER DE FROMAGE

decklist:

EVhVUdR.png

interview:

Name: Me.

Previous accomplishments: I was staff on duelistgroundz for a few days before I was reassigned to event staff.

What deck are you playing today and what led you to play it?
I'm playing empty jar because it has an above 50% matchup against every other deck in the format.

Book of Taiyou.

I have not and do not plan to think about this.

https://goatstats.weebly.com/

YINSUN/WAVY

decklist:

whNUDAU.png

interview:

Name: Yinsun Bey

Previous accomplishments: #1 player in NC in 2008, 1 SJC Top 4, Over 10 Regional Tops

What deck are you playing today and what led you to play it?

Angel Chaos. Confusion

Not Morphing Jar lol

Probably Empty Jar

Jujitsu Master. Shoulda played him

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Day 2 Intro

Welcome to Day 2 of DuelistGroundz Championship Series: Dallas! We've got an action-packed bracket lined up for you here today featuring three of the de facto decks to beat in Goat Format right now. Silverdude has had one hell of a journey this season, starting off by stunning everyone with an explosive grind to Master Duelist rank, and he's bookending it here this weekend with a phenomenal run all the way to Winners Finals with a teched-out Goat Control list. There, he'll face free agent and DGz newcomer Ib Sauce in a Goat Control mirror match. On the other side of the bracket, we've got Chevalier de Fromage, hot off of his 2nd place run at DCS: New York City just a few weeks earlier and newly armed with the latest iteration of Damage Step's notorious Empty Jar list, facing off against FLC 2 Day 2 contender Yinsun/Wavy and his Angel Chaos list. Stay tuned on our Twitch channel for all the live coverage of Day 2 here at DCS: Dallas!

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Day 2 Winners Finals

Silver vs Ib Sauce

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Day 2 Losers Finals

Ib Sauce vs Chevalier de Fromage

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Day 2 Grand Finals

Silver vs Chevalier de Fromage

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23460

Day 2 Wrap-Up

The dust has settled, and after a long journey all the way from Bronze, Silverdude is your new DCS Champion! With his hypermodern Goat list that I featured yesterday, he faced off with his Damage Step rival Chevalier de Fromage in winners bracket and again in Grand Finals. In the end, Silver came prepared for the Empty Jar matchup with a total of seven sideboard cards, and clinched a nailbiter of a Game 3 in Grand Finals to claim the title of DCS: Dallas Champion without dropping a match!

The resurgence of pure Goat Control seen first at DCS: Juneau and FLC 1 last January and February respectively continued this weekend at Dallas, with two of the Top 4 competitors on some pure Goat variant. Empty Jar was the other success story of the weekend, taking the field by storm and punishing many unprepared Side Decks. 's Losers Bracket run with the deck included a gauntlet of GoatRank-level competitors such as DCS: NYC Champion rip kid no cry and FLC 2 Day 2 contender Yinsun/Wavy. We're sure to see many new developments on both of these decks in the weeks leading up to FLC 3, especially taking into consideration Silver's win here today.

• Upvote 1