Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Our Videogame Reviews

Aaron    2002

Hey guys, this thread is for us to post reviews of games we've recently played + openly discuss each other's reviews. 

Aaron    2002
Posted (edited)

Mass Effect 2

Known as one of the best games of last gen, I had high expectations for this game. It excels in voice acting, its graphics stand up to today's standards on PC, its expansive universe and attention to detail is up to scratch, excellent PC controls, it has a hugely varied cast with some excellent backstories and its overarching story is an epic space-age war. It's fixed a lot of annoying issues from the first game, and improved in nearly every department. Multiple different classes all acting differently is the icing on the cake. 

However I found it lacking in the story, pacing and gameplay department. From a gaming perspective, its fine. The shooting is fine, the powers are fine. Fine is good enough for an RPG more centred towards story. The lack of real customisation in the forms of guns and only 4 skills per character leaves everything a bit dry for my tastes. A sentinel shepherd for all intents and purposes is going to be a very similar sentinel shepherd in another's game which kind of sucks. 

From a story perspective, its so formulaic after the introductory acts. Ship -> Find new member -> new Memeber mission -> ship and repeat. ME2 felt more like a re-introduction to Mass Effect than a sequel. The overarching plot was never expanded on, the ultimate enemy is underwhelming and the linearity of levels didn't help at all. The plot lacks the space-age political stand offs I imagine in my mind, it lacks real choice, it has hardly any plot twists, enemies and people outside of your crew aren't fleshed out and the cultures aren't fully explored. For all the beautiful worlds it shows, they're paper thin in regards to depth. 

Overall I can't help but feel disappointed by Mass Effect 2. It promised so much but I felt it was lacking in story and ultimately didn't have the core RPG mechanics to deserve a top 10 place. I can't help but feel a lot of people are looking back on this game with a huge dose of nostalgia when mentioning it as one of the best games of last gen. 

7-8/10 IMO. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34494

sums it up pretty well

I don't do number rankings but I view this game as a culimation of almost everything I like in games, I think pretty highly of it 

Posted (edited)

Splatoon 2

Arguably one of the most quirky and unique games of the last couple of years, gets a sequel on a console not doomed from the start. honestly if there was a game besides Zelda to pick up a switch for right now, this is it.

The core gameplay is simple, you run around the battlefield inking walls floors and everything else allowing you to swim through it in Squid form recovering ink and moving faster, inking also fills your special meter to use your special attack, you also have a sub weapon to use usually some sort of bomb. Killing an enemy makes them explode and ink around the area in your colour fairly quickly.

Different modes have different objectives. Unranked is exclusively turf wars where you fight to cover the most turf with your team, while others can have different things to do such as tower control, splat zones (control point essentially) and clam blitz where you attack the enemy goal as a team to take out their shield and fill their basket with Clams. 

the fun of the game comes from the variety of weapons, from the standard splattershot to the faster firing shorter range dualies, the heavy firepower of the Splattling, the Umbrella's defensive capabilities, the blaster's short range but high damage, the slosher covering ground quickly, the rollers giving you good ground coverage and fast kills on unsuspecting enemies, the brushes for a faster but weaker variation. and even the Charger which is basically a sniper rifle. you can experiment and find which one suits you best, as well as their primary function, they each have a different combination of sub weapon and special for you to consider, making it tactical as well as fun.

Maps rotate every couple of hours, and every couple of days Salmon run opens up, its your classic PvE "Zombie" mode where you fight seemingly endless hordes of AI enemies and collect Golden Eggs. its fun and challenging, with each run giving you 1 of 2 maps, and 4 different weapons which get rotated between the 4 players through the waves. 

If you have a few Hours to kill Single Player is incredibly fun, good for getting you used to the game's more complex mechanics, and trying out new weapons before jumping into PvP with them. it does follow on slightly from Splatoon 1 but i never played it and didnt feel like i was missing anything from the story. 

The one thing i will say is, Multiplayer is the selling point of the game, so if you dont like playing most of the time with or against other actual players, or cant due to lack of Stable internet, the game might not be for you as the single Player is lacking.

Pros:

Fun unique gameplay

Variety of modes and weapons

Highly Addictive

Cons:

Highly Addictive

Mostly multiplayer based

9/10

Edited by Stomach The MachoPony

Aaron    2002
21 hours ago, Stomach The MachoPony said:

Splatoon 2

Arguably one of the most quirky and unique games of the last couple of years, gets a sequel on a console not doomed from the start. honestly if there was a game besides Zelda to pick up a switch for right now, this is it.

The core gameplay is simple, you run around the battlefield inking walls floors and everything else allowing you to swim through it in Squid form recovering ink and moving faster, inking also fills your special meter to use your special attack, you also have a sub weapon to use usually some sort of bomb. Killing an enemy makes them explode and ink around the area in your colour fairly quickly.

Different modes have different objectives. Unranked is exclusively turf wars where you fight to cover the most turf with your team, while others can have different things to do such as tower control, splat zones (control point essentially) and clam blitz where you attack the enemy goal as a team to take out their shield and fill their basket with Clams. 

the fun of the game comes from the variety of weapons, from the standard splattershot to the faster firing shorter range dualies, the heavy firepower of the Splattling, the Umbrella's defensive capabilities, the blaster's short range but high damage, the slosher covering ground quickly, the rollers giving you good ground coverage and fast kills on unsuspecting enemies, the brushes for a faster but weaker variation. and even the Charger which is basically a sniper rifle. you can experiment and find which one suits you best, as well as their primary function, they each have a different combination of sub weapon and special for you to consider, making it tactical as well as fun.

Maps rotate every couple of hours, and every couple of days Salmon run opens up, its your classic PvE "Zombie" mode where you fight seemingly endless hordes of AI enemies and collect Golden Eggs. its fun and challenging, with each run giving you 1 of 2 maps, and 4 different weapons which get rotated between the 4 players through the waves. 

If you have a few Hours to kill Single Player is incredibly fun, good for getting you used to the game's more complex mechanics, and trying out new weapons before jumping into PvP with them. it does follow on slightly from Splatoon 1 but i never played it and didnt feel like i was missing anything from the story. 

The one thing i will say is, Multiplayer is the selling point of the game, so if you dont like playing most of the time with or against other actual players, or cant due to lack of Stable internet, the game might not be for you as the single Player is lacking.

Pros:

Fun unique gameplay

Variety of modes and weapons

Highly Addictive

Cons:

Highly Addictive

Mostly multiplayer based

9/10

You REALLY make me wanna pick this up, apart from the fact I'm not a multiplayer type gamer as I invariably suck compared to people who invest >100 hrs