rei

Would you watch this? YT channel idea

+rei+    34444

I've been wanting to do "Something" on youtube for a while and I think im finally really coming to a final outlook on what I want to do

Some variant of "old game introspective" - some videos showing an old game no one's heard of and why it's good/important/still relevant, others showing interesting historical notes about titles (Blake Stone ALiens of Gold being a brilliant execution of the Wolf3D engine but being released the same week Doom came out making it basically irrelevant; Action Supercross and its spinoff Elastomania's influence as super early freeware with educational tie-ins; Oddities in Final Fantasy games' localization; Rise of the Robots hype and flop; unused features inside the pokemon games... well maybe not that as there's 400 videos on it already, but that theme) 

I'm thinkining shooting to keep the videos under ten minutes but making sure they're still well researched and interesting notjust  "hey dis gaem good" 

Any thoughts on this idea / is this something people might want to watch? 

• Upvote 2

Bazoo    5691

I would absolutely watch and subscribe as this type of stuff is 80% what I watch on Youtube. I know retro gaming is a popular subject with room to still grow on YT, but I also know there will be a lot of competition with previously established channels. Not sure what you can do to differentiate yourself, but from my perspective:

**Under 10 minutes is a plus, around 6 minutes is ideal

**Scenes from the game(s) necessary, but also the audio version should be able to convey most of the info. I often listen to videos while working or cleaning so being able to absorb most info without staring at the screen is a plus. I imagine many others are the same 

**After you've made a few vids, try attacking YT headquarters too soon sorry

+rei+    34444

Yeah my initial idea was to keep it to 2 min (actually 128 seconds lol 8th bit lit) - but it wasn't thorough enough for me -  and i am absolutely audio focused first and foremost. 

My main market is gonna prob initially be very dos-focused, the old dos game scene on youtube has some great names in it (LGR, PushingupRoses, 8-Bit Guy to an extent) but I get the impression most of that scene likes/supports each other and just likes good content, so i might not be OMG BANKROLLIN PLAYA but i think i can get views 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34444

@Aaron would you check this? 

Aaron    1990
Posted (edited)

possibly would if it didn't have spoilers and spoke about good games and why i should play them in addition to what ur plan it. definitely a unique selling point but if ur aiming to get those 100k+ views, ur gonna have to be relevant. 

Edited by Aaron