Sign in to follow this  
mmf

Ready Player One

+mmf    23484

Please don't give these people your money. This movie is nothing more than heartless, soulless corporate exploitation of gaming culture

• Thanks 1

+Sophocles    3075

Has there been a mainstream, high-budget hollywood movie about a subculture in the last 10 years that couldn't be classified as "soulless corporate exploitation"?

Not to be a hipster but I assumed this was a given when I saw the trailer. Do elaborate though, because I'm probably not gonna see it.

+rei+    34642
29 minutes ago, Sophocles said:

Has there been a mainstream, high-budget hollywood movie about a subculture in the last 10 years that couldn't be classified as "soulless corporate exploitation"?

Scott Pilgrim; which was not financially successful in theatres despite me seeing it five times. 

Don't see the film because: Made the Iron Giant a Gun. Come on.

Don't read the book because: Misogynistic crap plus three pages about how much he loves fucking his sex doll 

• Upvote 1

+mmf    23484
1 hour ago, Sophocles said:

Not to be a hipster but I assumed this was a given when I saw the trailer. Do elaborate though, because I'm probably not gonna see it.

The difference is that this is our subculture

• Upvote 2

Bazoo    5698

I hear Rampage is actually pretty stellar

TonySK    618
On 4/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, rei said:

Scott Pilgrim; which was not financially successful in theatres despite me seeing it five times. 

Don't see the film because: Made the Iron Giant a Gun. Come on.

Don't read the book because: Misogynistic crap plus three pages about how much he loves fucking his sex doll 

man I got the book as a secret santa gift not long after it came out and I was feeling it as alright toilet reading material until we spent 3 pages talking about futuresex and how much money he spent on shit to make it work.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Mr Dragon    312

Scott Pilgrim was made by Edgar Wright, having watched his TV show, Spaced, you can tell through the density of knowledge in his scripts that he is or was part of all of the nerd subculture he shows off in the movie.

That's the difference between that and Ready Player One. There's obviously not much appreciation for anything referenced in the movie beyond the surface level, though in some ways I guess you could argue that's part of the point.

I've seen the film. Its not really bad. Its just incredibly average and run of the mill. The worst thing about it was that it could have easily been so much better if the script wasnt so awful. Guess that'a what happens when you give the job of adapting a mediocre YA novel to the author.

• Upvote 2