Noelle

Sky Striker - Deck Discussion

»Noelle    5848

Okay, so I guess some explaining is in order. I'm going through some insane stuff right now so hopefully effortposting about this will get my mind off of it, or at least distract me for a little while.

First and foremost, congratulations to Titto Maret aka @Faith+1 for ending in top 8 of YCS New Jersey last weekend. He was the only one in the room playing my exact 70 card list. His profile is here:

In DN picture form, here was the list: 

3hjNNPn.png

Typed out:

Main Deck: 40

Monsters: 9

3 Sky Striker Ace - Raye

3 Psy Frame Gamma

1 Darkest Diabolos, Lord of the Lair

1 Ghost Winter & Cherries Something

1 Psy Frame Driver

Spells: 28

2 Called by the Grave

2 Foolish Burial Goods

>>>2<<< Metalfoes Fusion

3 Pot of Desires

1 Reinforcements of the Army

1 Sky Striker Area Zero Space

2 Sky Striker Mecha - Afterburners!

1 Sky Striker Mecha - Jamming Waves!

2 Sky Striker Mecha Hornet Drones

1 Sky Striker Mecha - Shark Cannon

2 Sky Striker Mecha - Widow Anchor

2 Sky Striker Mecha Modules - Multirole

3 Sky Striker Mobilize - Engage!

1 Terraforming

2 Twin Twisters

1 Upstart Goblin

Traps: 3

3 Infinite Impermanence

Extra Deck: 15

1 Psy-Frame Lord Omega

1 Scrap Dragon

1 Heavymetalfoes Electrumite

1 Isolde of the Noble Knights

1 Knightmare Mermaid

1 Knightmare Unicorn

1 Knightmare Phoenix

1 Linkuriboh

3 Sky Striker Ace- Kagari

3 Sky Striker Ace - Shizuku

SPYRAL Double Helix

Side Deck: 15

3 Ash Blossom & Something Something

1 Darkest Diabolos, Lord of the Lair

2 Winged Dragon of Ra - Sphere Mode

1 Called by the Grave

2 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Sky Striker Area Zero Space

1 Twin Twisters

1 Sky Striker Mecha Hornet Drones

3 Typhoon

Here were Titto's matchups:

346032~1.JPG

Feature Matches:

Round 6 vs James Sooklaris: https://yugiohblog.konami.com/2018/06/round-6-feature-match-titto-maret-vs-james-sooklaris/

Top 16 vs Max Reynolds: https://yugiohblog.konami.com/2018/06/top-16-feature-match-maximillian-reynolds-vs-titto-maret/

It's worth mentioning as well that I'm currently 3rd place in DN matches with this list, with a 90% winrate (72-8.) However, some of my losses aren't exactly "real" (losing to giant bees flying into my room making me panic, losing to having a suicidal schizophrenic breakdown against an idiot mid-match, etc) so it's closer to like 76-4:

GwVTZv1.png

Ok. Now let's talk about the actual list.

Why Play Pure Sky Striker?

Right. So the first thing I want to make clear is the context this deck was made in. It was around the time Gouki started getting extremely popular, about 2-3 weeks ago now. I had already wanted to play a go 2nd list since going 2nd is preferable in the mirror, and it just so happens that the hand traps that get around Called by the Grave in Gouki are better going second as well, such as Psy-Frame Gamma and Infinite Impermanence.

Note that this was right before Trickstar Brandish got extremely popular, which was at the end of last week. However, if you play well, this isn't actually a hard matchup. I'll explain more about that in another post.

Anyway, like I said, at the juncture of "good in the mirror" and "best outs to Gouki around Called," we arrived at a go 2nd list maining Gamma and Impermanence. That was the reason to actually play the deck for this event in the first place.

Card Choices

Some things might confuse people with this list, especially going by the YouTube comments. But there's a reason for every single choice with theory that goes back months now. I'll start with the weird monsters.

Diabolos

This card is part of a group of cards that go by the logic of "going for damage in the mirror (I'll include Trickstar Sky Striker in this too)." These cards include Twin Twisters, Called by the Grave, Diabolos itself, etc. They can't be considered in separation from eachother. What caused the need for going for damage in the mirror were the Cherries/Evenly builds that became popular online. The way that you beat that deck is just to ignorantly go for damage and not play into Evenly too hard. That's how we originally realized it and started playing these cards, but we stuck with them because going for damage just ended up being better in the mirror anyway regardless of their build, especially with the new End of Match Procedure rules.

Naturally, since the cards that adhere to this logic are stronger in the mirror, we want to side more of them in the mirror. That's how we ended up siding a second Diabolos, a third Twin Twister, and a third Called.

1 Cherries

The 38th, 39th, and 40th cards in my deck were 2nd Afterburner, Diabolos, and 1 Cherries. I had 3 spots left while building it. I decided that instead of playing three cards that shine in one match up but are bad against others, I'd play cards that are amazing in specific match-ups but that are decent otherwise, diversifying my match-ups. The 2nd Afterburner is good against Altergeist. Diabolos is good in the mirror. Cherries is good against Gouki and Spyral. Just like the Diabolos-Called-Twin Twister idea, these cards cannot be considered apart from eachother, and that's how we ended up with the numbers for them.

Now for the weird Spells.

2 Metalfoes Fusion

Elephant in room lol. So, just like the last two choices cant be understood apart from their context, the thing that must be realized about Foolish Burial Goods, Metalfoes Fusion, Twin Twisters, Called by the Grave, Airspace, etc is that they're Burning Abyss monsters. What do I mean by this? Recall the logic of the ratios of Burning Abyss monsters in my old BA decks from 2015. Instead of the "3 of one card before any of another" theory, they operated on "since they're the same card effectively and therefore redundant, spread them out as much as possible in numbers to minimize the chance of drawing two of the same one." The aforementioned cards in this deck operate on exactly the same logic. They're all combo cards that are bad in multiples.

All that would be left, then, is to demonstrate that Metalfoes Fusion belongs in this list of cards. It is by far the best card to send with Multirole and Airspace, and along with Diabolos, the best card to discard for Twin Twister. Considering we play 8 of those outlets total (even more post-side,) I think we can justify another Metalfoes Fusion. Worst case, it's not that difficult to get them to destroy it when you set it in a format with Trickstar Lightstage, Knightmare Phoenix, and Jamming Waves.

The last thing to mention is worries about "how many bricks we're playing." To begin with, it just so happens that Trickstar Reincarnation being in the format is pretty convenient for letting us play more bricks since they'll be replaced with the new hand. Second, Metalfoes Fusion and Diabolos are moreso combo cards than bricks in the traditional "Garnet" sense. The only real brick in the deck is Driver, and even then we still at least have Twin Twister.

1 Field Spell, 1 Terraforming

This is just the right order to play them. Seeing them both is fine because you can use Field Spell on the dead Terraforming, which you can't do if you played 2 Field Spell instead. 2nd Field Spell in side comes before 2nd Terraforming because the 2nd Terraforming makes banishing the Field Spell with Desires way more risky.

3 Pot of Desires

People say they don't like this card because the mirror is "resource-intensive" and they don't like "banishing too many resources." The reality is that if you're on the "go for damage" logic with Diabolos, Twin Twister, etc, then the mirror isn't about "resources," it's about just killing them. To add to that, you have to get to certain cards as fast as possible in other match-ups. Since, unlike Called by the Grave and Twin Twisters, this card is neutral to what matchup you're against while also being applicable to the same idea that made them 2 of's, this is the first card in order to go to 3.

Only 2 Widow Anchor, Shark Cannon

Shark Cannon is good against Trickstar, as well as when you're going for damage in the mirror to have a searchable way out of their Raye in Graveyard. It's also good if your Red or Blue get Cherries'd, to reborn theirs. These situations "come up" which dictate a need for it.

Widow Anchor is played at 3 a lot, which I don't think is bad. However, it is weak against boards with Knightmare Goblin. I suppose you could argue that they lose anyway when they have boards like this, but they can end on it potentially through a hand trap (ending on a worse board.) Considering you don't really need to Widow Anchor much in the format in a going second list (whereas in a going first one you might just wanna set a bunch of them,) there becomes less of a need for this card, but this counterbalanced by the fact of Desires banishing it and the 2nd in deck "coming up," brings us to 2 copies.

2 Hornet Drones

It just sucks when this card gets Cherries'd in the mirror, and Raye is almost always preferable to start with. With 9 starter cards in the deck, along with combinations like Multirole + Field Spell or Twin Twister + Field Spell, as well as the opponent's Reincarnations, I'm not that worried on the impact cutting one has on the consistency of the deck. However, against decks we side in Sphere Mode against, we want all 3. So we end up with 2 mained and 1 sided.

That's it for the Spells, and we've already discussed Gamma and Impermanence, which concludes the main deck. Now for the weird stuff in the extra.

1 Scrap Dragon

This, along with Omega, clears itself from the Extra Monster Zone. However, unlike Omega, it deals with Floodgates on board. So if they're playing Altergeist and have Anti-Spell up and use Multifaker in hand, you can Gamma it (which they can't Protocol because Faker activated in hand,) then get over the Marionetta or whatever on board to turn off Protocol, then Scrap Dragon the Anti-Spell and you're golden. Works fine against other helmet decks like True Draco as well.

1 Heavymetalfoes Electrumite

Mike was the one that convinced me to put this card in as the 15th card over the Hexstia vs Skull Dread I was slaving over. I guess one pendulum did top so it's sort of relevant, moreso than World Chalice anyway.

On to the side deck, stuff that hasn't been explained yet.

How I Side

I'm gonna start by copy/pasting the text document on how to side with this deck. It doesn't include Trickstar because it was made before that deck became popular but the siding against that deck is -3 Gamma -1 Driver -1 Cherries -3 Impermanence +3 Ash +1 Called +1 Diabolos +1 Twin Twister +1 Airspace +1 Drones:

Vs go first mirror:
-3 gamma
-3 imperm
-1 driver
-1 desires
-1 cherries
+3 ash
+1 diab
+1 called
+1airspace
+3 trap typhoon

Vs go 2nd mirror:
-3 gamma
-3 imperm
-1 driver
+3 ash
+1 diab
+1 called
+1 airspace
+1 twin

Vs gouki with real traps:
-2 foolish burial goods
-2 metalfoes fusion
-1 shark cannon
-1 diabolos
-1 terraforming
+2 sphere mode
+1 twin
+1 called
+1 hornet drones
+2 ash

Vs trapless gouki:
-2 goods
-2 fusion
-2 twin
-1 shark cannon
+3 ash
+2 sphere mode
+1 called
+1 drones

Vs spyral when u go 2nd:
-2 twin
-1 shark cannon
-2 foolish burial goods
-2 metalfoes fusion
-1 terraforming
+3 ash
+2 sphere mode
+1 called
+1 diab
+1 hornet drones

Vs spyral when u go 1st (they pick 2nd):
-3 gamma
-1 driver
-3 imperm
+3 ash
+1 diab
+1 called
+1 airspace
+1 twin

Vs Altergeist:
-3 imperm
-3 gamma
-1 driver
-1 cherries
+1 twin
+3 typhoon
+2 mst
+1 hornet drones
+1 diabolos

3 Ash Blossom + Something Something

This card's function is due to the popularity of Shared Ride, to make going second in the mirror and elsewhere still better even post-side. You hold it for that.

2 Sphere Mode

This card acts as another hand trap that they can't Called by the Grave.

1 Hornet Drones

This goes along with Sphere Mode mostly, since you can't normal summon Raye the turn you use it. But it's also good against Reincarnation and Anti-Spell Fragrance decks.

2 Mystical Space Typhoon, 3 Typhoon

We just aren't losing to Altergeist. MST vs Cosmic Cyclone is debatable, but you can MST your own Field Spell to unbrick yourself. Also, paying for Cosmic Cyclone is not as good with the new End of Match Procedures. Typhoon, it should be mentioned, is also important in the mirror cus it prevents you from losing to a turn 1 Multirole while not being able to be Called by the Graved (unlike Ogre.) We're playing that over Evenly Matched in that matchup because better Altergeist players have caught on to not setting a trillion cards against us, and if they just set a floodgate and maybe a backrow and just try to go aggro we can be in trouble.

And that's the deck. Might be subject to change some now that Trickstar is really popular though, but I don't think its a bad matchup if you play well.

Once again, huge shoutout to Titto for top 8ing this event. 2 Fusion 2 Strong!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Faith+1    47

Won Providence Regionals yesterday (6/10/18) with the updated 70 card Noelle guuuuuuu.

• Upvote 2

Any chance we can see a tournament report? Or a decklist? How many trickstar strikers did you play if at any? 

Faith+1    47
Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, AperfectKING said:

Any chance we can see a tournament report? Or a decklist? How many trickstar strikers did you play if at any? 

image.png

Decklist is being held due to ARG AC next weekend and Nats the weekend after but the list is pretty similar to the YCS list except now it's built to beat any Trickstar variant with the correct technical play.

#2Fusion2Strong #FusionGang #GangGang

Edited by Faith+1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Faith+1 said:

image.png

Decklist is being held due to ARG AC next weekend and Nats the weekend after but the list is pretty similar to the YCS list except now it's built to beat any Trickstar variant with the correct technical play.

#2Fusion2Strong #FusionGang #GangGang

Sounds legit. Any chance you down to play test on DB? Getting ready for Nats myself and I don’t live near any locals. 

Faith+1    47
On 6/11/2018 at 3:42 PM, AperfectKING said:

Sounds legit. Any chance you down to play test on DB? Getting ready for Nats myself and I don’t live near any locals. 

My bad yo, gotta keep the testing within the team.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Faith+1 said:

Legit I can’t hate that. If anyone here would like to play test sky striker mirrors add me. DB Username: AperfectKING

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Faith+1 said:

Legit I can’t hate that. If anyone here would like to play test sky striker mirrors add me. DB Username: AperfectKING

Eques4    8
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I just came back from european WCQ this week-end, and went top 16 with pure Sky Striker. I decided to post this here, because I found the discussions above quite interesting (although I didn't reply lol). Here's my build for the event (video in french, it's quite standard) :

In testing, I found that the deck pretty much autowins every rogue matchup. To me, it only loses to Trickstar pressure, Gouki boards (which can be broken game 1 sometimes actually with called by the grave to target 1 knightmare goblin, he needs to negate otherwise widows can win the game, and then ningrsu can break the board), and some random imperial order or bricks. Because of the new time rule, I decided to maindeck against Trickstar (mind crush, only ash blossom as handtrap, 3 called by the grave, 2 Afterburner, 3 Phantom Skyblaster), to hopefully win the first game against Trickstar. That way, he cannot slowplay the second game, and it shouldn't go to time too badly.

I didn't expect to see that many Gouki actually, it usually was not that popular in europe because we don't have LinkKuriboh, so I decided to stick to only 3 handtraps maindeck. Really wanted to have the 3rd Ra Sphere Mode in the side though, but couldn't fit it in.

I'm using the 2 field + 2 terra forming to have 80% chances to open raye when going first, for consistency.

I actually used everycard I ran in my side deck (except Ra sphere mode that I drew against Gouki, but never summoned) and used all my extra deck cards several times the week-end. I actually didn't expect Ningirsu and Topologic bomber dragon to be that good this week-end.

I considered running pot of desires, but I just don't think the card's needed, and I'm actually playing the value game most of the time (except some hands with phantom Skyblaster, but I didn't do the OTK move that often : I just went into both Knightmares and ningirsu, then topologic bomber dragon to deal with boards most of the time)

Quick Report :

Round 1 : Sky Striker Trickstar Mekk : Lost 1-2 (He won the first game. I took advantage very quicly the second game, but couldn't kill him fast enough and he had no reason to play fast... Lost game 3 in time to lycoris pass...)

Round 2 : Sky Striker Trickstar Mekk : Won 2-0

Round 3 : Mirror Match : Won 2-0

Round 4 : True Draco : Won 2-1 (very lame games. He had imperial order 3 times, and I had evenly matched 2 times. Phantom skyblaster into Knightmare phoenix helped a lot too)

Round 5 : Mirror Match : Won 2-0

Round 6 : True Draco : Won 2-0

Round 7 : True Draco : Won 2-0

Round 8 : Sky Striker Trickstar : Won 2-0 (The game 1 was probably one of the most interesting games of the week-end. It lasted 32 minutes and we ended up both with less than 8 cards in our decks. I won the value game, but it was a very close game. I won Game 2 in time sadly, with a big phantom skyblaster play...)

Round 9 : Paleo Frogs : Won 2-0

Round 10 : Sky Striker Trickstar : Lost 0-2

Round 11 : Gouki : 1-1 Draw (Both game were very back and forth, but he eventualy managed to push through several widow anchor game 1. I had a hard time getting the damage in when I took the advantage in game 2. We started siding for game 3 with less than 1 minute left...)

Score after swiss : 8-2-1. Finished 42th after the rounds.

TOP 64 :

Won 2-0 against Gouki. I got very lucky this game

Game 1, I opened Token into shizuku set 2 pass. He bricked, summoned Riscorpio and attacked, so i setup all widows on field next turn to stop his plays.

Game 2, I opened 1 ra sphere mode, 1 hercules base, 1 phantom skyblaster, 1 infinite impermanence and 1 widow. He set 3, used exchange and gave me his phoenix blade. He took my phantom skyblaster, summoned it with token and passed, and I topdecked raye... He just couldn't come back with infinite impermanence and widow to stop his plays and engage in my hand.

TOP 32 : Sadly played against the other French duelist left in the top 32...

Won 2-1 against Sky Striker Trickstar with iblee. I can't remember all the exact moves. Nice back and forth games, but I eventually win the value game.

TOP 16 :

Lost 0-2 a Mirror Match.

He played it really good, taking some really nice decisions. My hands were a bit weird, but his weren't that good either actually. I probably forgot a couple of moves in between, the second game was a bit more ressource trading, but overall, it lookied like this.

Game 1, I opened 2 hornet drones, 1 mind crush, 1 metalfoes fusion and 1 called by the grave.

I went hornet drones into kagari, and he negated it with gamma. I used the second hornet drones to go for shizuku and set mind crush, kept called by the grave to play arround ash blossom.

He used foolish of goods for engage, takes it back but gets hit by my mind crush. He kills my shizuku and mind crushes my engage at the start of my turn. I'm left with called by the grave + metalfoes fusion + jamming wave, to his field + multirole in hand + shizuku on field and engage in his grave. The only way to come back I see is to jamming wave my set metalfoes fusion. I called by the grave his raye, and hoped to draw into hornet drones or raye or engage. I draw mind crush with nothing in hand, so I can't use it to stop his plays and I scoop...

Game 2, I have called by the grave, raye, hercules base, twin twister and hornet drones. I go into shizuku and search for engage with called by the grave in my hand. He topdecks a ghost cherries, so I lose all my 3 kagaris (i considered going into 1 kagari with no targets before shizuku, but decided not to, sadly... And I also didn't set called by the grave because if I get ashed, it's game pretty much...). I couldn't play the value game at this point, so tried to setup a kill with phantom skyblaster. I searched a second engage following turn with shizuku. I used twin twister at some point to get rid of a multirole play). He took my shizuku, hit me with it, and gave it back to my main monster zone. Ended up locked with shizuku + 2 engages. I attacked into his shizuku (hoping to have mine die in the process as he had more spells in grave, bring back raye to summon 3rd shizuku, and empty my main monster zone for engage, because I couldn't go into kagari to do so), but he used his widow on his own shizuku, so I destroyed his shizuku by battle and he had no raye in grave (this was definitely still the right move for him). He kills me the following turn with widow anchor + summon raye into kagari.

Overall, I'm happy with my performance (it's my first european WCQ), and it was a really nice week-end, I had a lot of fun with friends ! :) 

Edited by Eques4
  • Upvote 4

@Eques4 Is there any main deck changes you would have made if you had anticipated the higher prevalence of Gouki? 

Eques4    8

Seing NA WCQ results of Gouki, I really considered maindecking the impermanence or effect veiler (because of the better synergy of veiler with shared ride when going first after side) and siding the Mind crush, but I didn't do it because I underestimated the Gouki deck, especially the ability of the deck to play through backrows (mainly several widows anchors).

Playing Impermanence or Veiler probably wouldn't have been better in my case though, because I didn't play against that many Goukis, and I actually got quite lucky in my Gouki matches. Overall, there were 160 Goukis for allmost 500 Trickstar Sky Striker variants in the tournament. The mind crush was also very good for me the whole week-end.

That being said, I expect to see much more Goukis in the near future (Because of the recent results, but also because of LinkKuriboh coming to europe), so I'd probably maindeck one more Veilerlike handtrap. I also think that people underestimate veiler against Trickstar, the card is actually quite good (When he goes Engage into hornet, hitting kagari with veiler forces him to search widow or afterburner in end phase and have no engage for following turn. Also, when he goes for candina turn 0, don't veiler. He then searches reincarnation if he already has lycoris, and you can veiler candina the next turn with no lycoris in his hand).

Infinite Impermanence also has interesting advantages against Trickstar Sky Striker. In the matchup, the Lightstage effect to freeze backrow is really good. If you only have 1 widow Anchor and he targets it, you're pretty much forced to chain it on your own Shizuku, so that you don't die to the Firewall OTK combo. He'll then candina into a new lightstage and lock / kill another set spell/trap. If you have 2 widows (or 1 widow + 1 impermanence), you can afford not to chain it, keeping other backrows safe as replacing his field will unlock the one that he locked first.

Because of this interaction, I really think Trickstar players should also candina into a second Lightstage even when you didn't chain your widow, and use the second lightstage on another set card (because they most likely didn't hit the widow if you didn't chain it), then comes the mind games in play lol

Faith+1    47

Yeah the only hand traps we're playing right now post-Summon Sorc Gouki are Gamma and Impermanence.

Eques4    8

Well, no summon sorceress in Europe for now, we'll definitely have a different meta here ^^

• Upvote 1

Faith+1    47
Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2018 at 4:44 PM, Eques4 said:

Well, no summon sorceress in Europe for now, we'll definitely have a different meta here ^^

you don't have linkuriboh either....life must be nice as a pure striker player over there.

Edit: I take that back now. Y'all just got Linkuriboh today (7/13), but at least y'all still don't have Summon Sorc.

Edited by Faith+1

Faith+1    47

Has anyone figured out any Borrelsword OTKs yet? I've figured out Drones + Skyblaster but it requires Goblin in the extra, a card to pitch for goblin, and a normal summonable monster.

Eques4    8
Posted (edited)

For the skyblaster move :

Just go Drones => Kagari => drones => Kagari into Hayate. normal summon Phantom Skybaster => 3 tokens. Turn Drones token + 1 other token into Knightmare Phoenix. 1 more token into Linkspider. Linkspider + Knightmare Phoenix + Phantom Skyblaster into borrelsword (1 token left in attack position, means you also have 8k damage on empty board which is nice)

I've been trying to do this with the iblee build. I really like iblee, It turns drones + 1 discard into Topologic Bomber + raigeki effect live (by using 3 knightmare mermaid in the extra deck ^^).

With 2 drones + 1 discard, we can go into a board of akashic magician in extra zone + Phoenix under (making akashic effect live, allways nice) + iblee on field + 1 token left. Sadly, can't find a way to go into Hayate in extra zone from there (if only we could turn Akashic into a link 1, or somehow move it to a main monster zone xD). We can definitely make this mvoe with goblin + 1 discard + 1 normal, or with 3 hornet drones, but it just gets too hard to setup I think.

That being said, there's probably a nice move to go hayate + Borrelsword without playing Phantom Skyblaster (which is kinda a brick, doesn't advance the gamestate) and without needlefiber.

Edited by Eques4
  • Upvote 2

Chaos_Blaze    77

Unless I'm missing something, 2 Drones + a discard make Borrelsword + Hayate, provided you play 2 Mermaid and Akashic Magician in your Extra Deck and Iblee in your Main Deck.

Drones -> Kagari -> add back Drones -> make Knightmare Phoenix/Cerberus

Phoenix/Cerberus -> Mermaid -> Mermaid eff to summon Iblee

Iblee -> 2nd Mermaid, summon Iblee to your opponent's field next to an Extra Monster Zone

both Mermaids -> Akashic Magician -> Akashic Magician eff to add Iblee to hand

Normal Summon Iblee -> summon any of the Link monsters in the Graveyard

Iblee + Akashic + Knightmare Link monster -> Borrelsword

Activate 2nd Drones -> Hayate

This seems right and I don't think there's another way without using something like Skyblaster. I know it limits your Extra Deck as well, so I don't know if it would be worth it.

• Upvote 1

Eques4    8
Posted (edited)

Well, yeah you can make Hayate + Borrelsword with 2 Drone + 1 discard actually, but we want Hayate to be in extra monster zone and borrelsword in main monster zone. There are ways to have them the other way arround, but the move's just not so good.

If your opponent has a monster, and you have Hayate in extra zone, you can crash Hayate into opponent's monster (and mill raye with Hayate's effect), then bring back Raye. Then attack with Borrelsword, attack with raye, put raye to defense to attack again with Borrelsword, and tribute raye to attack with Shizuku. That's over 9K damage if he has only 1 monster with 1500+ ATK (quite common ^^), so OTK through upstart

I was actually wondering if there are other nice ways to link climb into Borrelsword. Like if we have Drones + raye, we can go Hayate then Isolde in main monster zone, and maybe link climb from there somehow as we're already running 1 equip spell card ?

Edited by Eques4

Chaos_Blaze    77
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Eques4 said:

Well, yeah you can make Hayate + Borrelsword with 2 Drone + 1 discard actually, but we want Hayate to be in extra monster zone and borrelsword in main monster zone. There are many ways to have them the other way arround, but the move's just not so good.

If your opponent has a monster, and you have Hayate in extra zone, you can crash Hayate into opponent's monster (and mill raye with Hayate's effect), then bring back Raye. Then attack with Borrelsword, attack with raye, put raye to defense to attack again with Borrelsword, and tribute raye to attack with Shizuku. That's over 9K damage if he has only 1 monster with 1500+ ATK (quite common ^^), so OTK through upstart

I was actually wondering if there are other nice ways to link climb into Borrelsword. Like if we have Drones + raye, we can go Hayate then Isolde in main monster zone, and maybe link climb from there somehow as we're already running 1 equip spell card ?

I knew about the combo but I forgot Raye's effect was specifically for the Extra Monster Zone, so that's just me being stupid. I've always just done it by habit. My bad.

Edited by Chaos_Blaze
  • Upvote 1

Eques4    8
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Faith+1 said:

https://roadoftheking.com/sky-striker-borrelsword-combo/

that's the OCG combo...but limiting the extra deck like that means that you won't be able to play gamma or cherries which kinda sucks.

Well, the OCG combo only takes Needlefiber (which everybody runs and is a very good cherries target also), Borrelsword and Linkuriboh.

This combo shows what makes Needlefiber actually so good.

We want to start the combo with token + 1 card (3 monsters board), and end with link 1 + link 4 (5 monsters). Needlefiber actually allows to climb 2 link rates by using glow-up bulb and with minimal drawbacks / bricks in the deck and low extra deck space, while all the other ways to climb (Akashic / Iblee synergy, Summoning sorceress, Curious, Isolde ...) either have too many drawbacks, lock our extra link zone or are link 3 which makes them bad materials for Borrelsword ...

Edited by Eques4

Faith+1    47
17 minutes ago, Eques4 said:

Well, the OCG combo only takes Needlefiber (which everybody runs and is a very good cherries target also), Borrelsword and Linkuriboh.

This combo shows what makes Needlefiber actually so good.

We want to start the combo with token + 1 card (3 monsters board), and end with link 1 + link 4 (5 monsters). Needlefiber actually allows to climb 2 link rates by using glow-up bulb and with minimal drawbacks / bricks in the deck and low extra deck space, while all the other ways to climb (Akashic / Iblee synergy, Summoning sorceress, Curious, Isolde ...) either have too many drawbacks, lock our extra link zone or are link 3 which makes them bad materials for Borrelsword ...

You're just making me not wanna play the OTK at all lol it almost seems just like we're going out of our way to play it and thereby reducing the overall synergy the deck has while increasing the number of bricks we play.

Eques4    8
2 minutes ago, Faith+1 said:

You're just making me not wanna play the OTK at all lol it almost seems just like we're going out of our way to play it and thereby reducing the overall synergy the deck has while increasing the number of bricks we play.

Well, tbh the deck is kinda in a weird position right now to me.

If we're in a Gouki format, we don't really want to play Phantom Skyblaster because the cards does nothing to advance your gamestate. It doesn't reliably outs the Gouki boards, doesn't prevent it. Sure, it can OTK, but if you do OTK with it, you probably allready won the game vs Gouki. And the game won't go to time against Gouki, so no need to OTK. What we need to win those games is reliable handtraps and outs to their boards.

But at the same time, Sky Striker really needs a reliable way to get damage in for other match-ups. If we're forced to maindeck for the Gouki match-up, we're making ourselves kinda weak to Trickstar Sky Striker game 1, as an example (As Ghost Ogre, Cherries and impermanence are just bad cards in the match-up...).

The thing is, if we loose game 1 to Trickstar Sky Striker, and have no way to get the damage in game 2, they'll just keep playing game 2 nice and slow with 10 less card advantage than us, until we eventually kill them and we'll move to game 3 at 2 mins from time and we'll just die to time lycoris damage... We either need to win game 1 against Trickstar (thus preventing the slowplaying) or to get damage in and close the game fast once we get the advantage to move to the last game.

I just don't see any obvious way to build the deck arround those contradictions for now.

Faith+1    47
3 minutes ago, Eques4 said:

Well, tbh the deck is kinda in a weird position right now to me.

If we're in a Gouki format, we don't really want to play Phantom Skyblaster because the cards does nothing to advance your gamestate. It doesn't reliably outs the Gouki boards, doesn't prevent it. Sure, it can OTK, but if you do OTK with it, you probably allready won the game vs Gouki. And the game won't go to time against Gouki, so no need to OTK. What we need to win those games is reliable handtraps and outs to their boards.

But at the same time, Sky Striker really needs a reliable way to get damage in for other match-ups. If we're forced to maindeck for the Gouki match-up, we're making ourselves kinda weak to Trickstar Sky Striker game 1, as an example (As Ghost Ogre, Cherries and impermanence are just bad cards in the match-up...).

The thing is, if we loose game 1 to Trickstar Sky Striker, and have no way to get the damage in game 2, they'll just keep playing game 2 nice and slow with 10 less card advantage than us, until we eventually kill them and we'll move to game 3 at 2 mins from time and we'll just die to time lycoris damage... We either need to win game 1 against Trickstar (thus preventing the slowplaying) or to get damage in and close the game fast once we get the advantage to move to the last game.

I just don't see any obvious way to build the deck arround those contradictions for now.

I mean, I already have a viable list for Gouki format. Just playing Gamma and Imp. Still works against trickstar as well. But as for the OTK, I don't see it being a worthwhile investment in the current metagame as you said.