Noelle

Sky Striker - Discussion

Dunko_Sekka    15

Maybe which zones they get summoned to depends on the matchup, you'd want decks that summon knightmare goblin to make it in the corner, but against a deck which has most of their links using 2 diagonal down arrows, you'd want to have your monster pointing to the middle, because their monster will be pointing there regardless. 

• Upvote 1

»Noelle    5837

yeah if you're against pendulum luke's play is prob better and if you're against firewall decks or generall knightmare-centric decks i think my plays better

two things:

1. i think the brandish mirror theory on mermaid from the last page is valid but its also a free out to iblee which i didnt realize at the time so thats a good reason to play it (frees up your brandish spells and is still able to crash if you want to evenly)

2. this might be too enlightened a play but against the iblee decks, particularly spyral, it can sometimes be a good idea not to immediately sanctum them post side and instead wait til they trig iblee in the gy to chain it for scythe. while you're probably going to take some damage that turn, the 1k loss from their mermaid (which they have cus they used it to get to iblee) makes it so they basically cant kill you, and youve made them use a lot of resources at this point. they cant get rid of their own mermaid either cus sleeper can only target their spyral and your cards. this might not work if they immediately link away mermaid though. idk just an idea to keep in mind for the occasional yolo. if you're controlling them its usually prob better to gun it on the second spyral summon tho.

• Upvote 1

»Noelle    5837

yo if u get reasoninged blind call 4. infernoid isnt really playing it so there isnt a reason to call 1 and some guys are using it in brandish cus they think ppl will call 1 to just summon rei or diabolos for free.

• Upvote 2

Dunko_Sekka    15

Do you think with shared ride in the mirror it should be set all the time or held for a while sometimes? Because I think both players are wanting to set up for one turn where they can gain lots of advantage and I'd not want them to hit my shared ride with jamming wave before they're ready to have a turn where they resolve multiple copies of engage. 

»Noelle    5837

ill have to make a gouki op at some point, hm

• Upvote 2

»Noelle    5837

btw with new end of match procedures diabolos dmg pushes just became even better

• Upvote 1

Farester    819

Just started trying this deck out last night after researching it the past 2 days and I have to say I'm very grateful for the wonderfully well thought out and detailed op. I haven't played since last year Zoo nats format so getting used to the year's worth link era increase in cardpool has been the greatest challenge. I tried out all the ideas in the op toon engine, goods/fusion, diabolos and different ratios of theme cards and hand traps. I feel like there's a handful of good generic cards that can supplement the lack of aggression and game ending potential we're missing in the TCG without needlefiber, but for the most part I think pure Brandish is extremely viable if not the best variant due to versatility and ability to out grind the mirror especially if they dilute themselves with another engine. More than anything I'm glad to be playing again and am eager to engage in theory discussions with the members of this site once again.

There's a couple of things which experience actually playing the deck taught me were slightly off as presented in the op. I think it's actually not a bad idea to build the deck with the idea of getting 3 spells in grave asap since the marginal benefits rack up quickly especially with engage's draw, but in general the mirror gets significantly easier when you have more spells in grave than your opponent, thanks to red you can be more aggressive against all match-ups early on if you fill the grave. Noelle is right to warn against haphazardly building to get 3 spells but if the proper thought is given to achieve this goal less directly and as a consequence of improving the deck's consistency overall then pitfalls like limiting the deck's versatility can be avoided. I think the most egregious offender of blindly building to get 3 spells is the toon engine, not so much because of the potential to draw bad hands with multiple toons but mainly because nothing substantial is achieved with those 3-4 slots as cyber dragon is seldom impactful and can sometimes be awkward or useless and cannon soldier in enabling Diabolos is even more limited. This engine limits the deck's versatility to an intolerable degree imo for the little it accomplishes, its the type of thing that's popular on pojo because they can't see the big picture(the deck's goals and win conditions).

The best goals for deck building should simply involve improving access to rei, engage, and less crucially 3 spells in grave asap this ensures that you will outpace the opponent in the mirror with good technical play, if in the process versatility can be increased all the better, toon engine doesn't assist in seeing rei or engage turn 1. In my build I achieved all three goals by playing 3 Terraforming, 3 field spell, 3 mst, and 3 twin twister. Field spell+mst/twin twister+any theme spell results in floating rei, red->blue, that same spell in hand, 3 spells in grave or more depending on terraforming and twin twister, and potentially one more brandish card off reveal from field and you can play around cherries. Mst and Twin  twister are vastly more versatile than toon engine and open up room in the side that would normally go to addressing IO and ASF games 2 and 3, as well as allowing plays to be made more easily against the mirror. As far as I can tell the only practical way to improve the chances of seeing engage is with field spell and foolish goods, goods engine with fusion is already extremely versatile at all points in the game. Another card I chose to play which was undersold in the op and that works really well with the extra s/t removal and field spells is Hercules Base which almost guarantees you win the grind against the mirror not just by allowing you to recycle your extra deck maidens but also by getting draws from beating over their links and cutting their rei off from floating or netting an extra draw.

Edited by Farester
  • Upvote 4

Farester    819

Forgot to discuss Mecha booster in my previous post but this is another card that got no attention in the op but is very important in the mirror and for avoiding disruption in general. Booster can protect your links from veiler, impermanence, and ash in the case of the first 2 this means you can keep their effects on for bp(Booster always lets you beat over opponent's blue) to keep making pushes every turn considering new EoM procedures. Booster is also a direct counter to widow anchor on either player's turn and it also counters the play I discussed above using Hercules Base to keep rei from floating. Once you use Booster on your link in the mirror there isn't much of anything the opponent can do except set back row and pass. Base and Booster both make it so you can protect the important resource of extra deck maidens to more easily out grind opponents and maintain pressure, maybe the op can be updated to include more info on these two cards and their interactions in the mirror.

Edited by Farester
  • Upvote 1

LukeRandi    233

Eagle Booster also means you are more likely to survive against aggressive decks. If you can set up the Blue Link and 3 Spells in your grave, Eagle Booster makes your Link Monster unaffected by effects and cannot be destroyed by battle. That's pretty hard to get rid of / OTK through (their monsters all lose at least 400 ATK).

In the mirror, i think the "standard" method to get rid of a Link Monster is Afterburner + Shark Cannon / Called by the Grave (if played). If you protect your Link Monster with Eagle, you stop that play in its tracks (unless they have Widow Anchor with 3 Spells ofc)

• Upvote 1