Grimey

Pokemon Online Trading Card Game

Grimey    8113

Is there literally anyone on this site actually playing PTCGO? I legitimately believe this current metagame is the most skill intensive I've every played (I started at release of Mega Ray). Deck building an optimal play-choice are at an all time high. Although going first majorly tilts the game in your favour, I'm thoroughly enjoying this meta game.

If anyone wants to play test, my username is Grimeey. I have the following decks "built"; Zoroark/Gardevoir, Zoroark Metagross, Dusk Mane Magnezone, Zoroark Glaceon, Zoroark Lycanroc. Preferably looking to play against someone who has Zoroark/Golisopod built. 

I play (though I doubt timezones work out well), haven't been enjoying either meta much just because it feels stale for me rn. I don't even dislike Zoroark but I'm bored of it, it's even more dominant in expanded (contributed to my ~35 game win streak on ladder).

• Upvote 1

Grimey    8113
1 hour ago, The Antagonist said:

I play (though I doubt timezones work out well), haven't been enjoying either meta much just because it feels stale for me rn. I don't even dislike Zoroark but I'm bored of it, it's even more dominant in expanded (contributed to my ~35 game win streak on ladder).

I agree about expanded. Expanded is too much for me to deal with now, there's just way too much going on and Zoroark doesn't help. 

Standard is my safe haven, especially when Greninja gets the boot. Good lord, the next rotation is going to be incredibly fun. A lot of old stuff leaving (like Brigette) that's really gonna change up the metagame. 

»Pengwan    7719

I still play

• Upvote 2

Grimey    8113
On 4/28/2018 at 8:02 AM, Pengwan said:

I still play

hello add me and lets play

»Pengwan    7719
On 4/29/2018 at 10:20 AM, Grimey said:

hello add me and lets play

whats yours mine is tylers91

edit: nvm saw yours on op ill add you later. probably gonna start testing for Madison regionals once the new set unlocks tomorrow

Grimey    8113

I've come to the conclusion that Buzzwole is just plain filthy now, and that I'd like to stop playing Zoroark decks. 

»Pengwan    7719

I've come to the conclusion I fucking hate this format now

Buzzwole and Psychic decks are way too good now

They are also both weak to Psychic so its just a one shot format

Fuck this I'll wait for rotation

I did hit someone for 200 with baby Buzzwole off one energy earlier and that was cool but just another example of the problem

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

»Pengwan    7719

Lucario could hit for 170 for one energy pretty easily but I didn't mind him as much because his GX attack let you punish stupid people. All this new support is just so strong you just get savagely outdrawn if they start faster than you though 

Grimey    8113

I truthfully believe that Beast Ring broke the format. That card is way too strong. Buzzwole used to have to bank on Max Elixir to get a Knuckle or Absorption out, but now it just gets to set-up "for free". It doesn't help that Prism Diancie helps Strong Energy boost it to a ridiculous damage number. Knocking out Prism Diancie has 0 reward because it's a 1 prize unlike Regirock. It's consistent as well because of Octillery (which gets around Glaceon-GX even though that card isn't relevant at all) and Brooklet Hill). 

The whole deck seems "free".

• Upvote 2

Grimey    8113

If I continue to play this format, I think I'll be leaning towards Beast Box (Naganadel, Beast Ring, and Buzzwole with FIGHT energies). 

Otherwise, I agree with you. This format just became incredibly un-fun with 1 pack release. 

»Pengwan    7719
20 hours ago, Grimey said:

I truthfully believe that Beast Ring broke the format. That card is way too strong. Buzzwole used to have to bank on Max Elixir to get a Knuckle or Absorption out, but now it just gets to set-up "for free". It doesn't help that Prism Diancie helps Strong Energy boost it to a ridiculous damage number. Knocking out Prism Diancie has 0 reward because it's a 1 prize unlike Regirock. It's consistent as well because of Octillery (which gets around Glaceon-GX even though that card isn't relevant at all) and Brooklet Hill). 

The whole deck seems "free".

Diancie Prism was a terrible idea agreed. Regirock was perfectly balanced (as all things should be), and Diancie is just a better Regirock without any of the drawbacks. I'm not even sure why I keep playing vs decks running Diancie and 2-3 Regirock though that seems like super overkill unless you are just hoping to style on a bunch of Zoroark decks. Also Diancie even has an attack that can heal off Jet Punches in the 1/1000 situations you'd actually need that. It's also a little too bulky to just bring up like a normal basic and try to knock out it out to slow them down. Not even worth it you will just lose the prize trade for trying most games.

Beast Ring is just horrible card design. Energy acceleration should not be that powerful or efficient, and it also just happens to be the perfect support for what was already the best basic GX attacker in the game.

My win % so far post Forbidden Light has actually been higher with Beast Box than it has with BuzzRoc, which makes no sense to me because I feel like BuzzRoc is strictly a better and more consistent deck. Nagandel is very good in a meta full of Buzz though, and Kartana keeps punishing these people who attach Beast Energy/Strong Energy on their t1 just because they can. I don't play any of the other UBs outside of the 2 Buzz, 1 Dawn Wings, Kartana and Naganadels though. I guess Nihilego could be decent but its such a straight forward deck idk if you need all that spice in it really.

Oh well back to DBS TCG hopefully after Rotation when Elixir is gone these decks will slow down enough to make the format decent again.

Grimey    8113

Yeah your Beast Box line-up is what I've been playing around with as well. 

I'm trying to find a way to make Dusk Mane Garbo w/ Beast Ring work. 220 knockouts for "free" seems pretty busted. Only issue is that Buzzwole gets the same free knockouts on Dusk Manes (even with Fighting Fury Belts half the time). 

I've seen a lot of people playing Ultra Necrozma/Malamar with more Dawn Wings (2-3 copies), because it's a Psychic with a DARK weakness. It seems pretty good as well, all things considered. It benefits from Ultra Space vs Beast Box. Hits Beast Box, Buzzwole, other Psychic decks for weakness (that's the whole top tier right there). Ultra Necrozma deals with every Zoroark deck. It just seems like a really strong pick to me right now. 4 Ultra Ball, 4 Mysterious Treasure is pretty insane search as well. Deck just seems too good when it works. 

• Upvote 1

I feel like UN isn't the right mon to use in Malamar builds rn, DW terrorises Buzzwole and vanilla Necrozma actually picks up OHKOs on nearly the entire relevant meta bar Zoroark (which arguably is dead thanks to Buzzwole). Vs Zoroark builds you can just Black Ray them and follow it up with Espeon EX. Pure Psychic means you can use Max Elixir and stuff too which is so good at helping you match Buzzwole's pace, and literally everything is weak to Psychic rn. Max Elixir also mitigates Garbotoxin (especially paired with Lunala Prism).

Buzzwole finds it difficult to deal with DWN's GX attack (so does everything else but it's even worse when DW threatens the OHKO next turn too), which leaves it with only 1 turn of Beast rings unless you get Guzma+Lycanroc.

»Pengwan    7719

I think Ultra Necrozma is better because

Extra 10 HP is relevant, forces them to have the exact math to KO you

Doesn't have to detach all his energy on swing

Only needs 2 energy to swing

Not weak to Psychic

They are both good though, wouldn't be surprised to see either end up doing well. Dawn Wings definitely terrorizes the Meta rn though and should be one of the main attackers in the deck.

I don't think Zoroark is dead btw. You can still lose to that deck if they draw well enough because Zoroark is just that good of a card. It's just a poor meta call at the moment, but if the meta shifted more towards Dawn Wings being the format's main attacker it would become very good again. 

Grimey    8113

Yeah, I'm not sure that I agree about regular Necrozma being the way to go either. Ultra Necrozma gives you a consistent chance of victory vs every relevant deck in the metagame right now, whereas I can see the PSYCHIC weakness on Necrozma, coupled with the fact that Necrozma needs 4 energy attached (without a choice band) to knock out a Zoroark vs UN only needing 3 psychics (2 with a choice band and beast energy), being an issue. 

I don't think that Zoroark is dead either, I just don't believe it's currently a good meta call. It will definitely have it's time to shine again in the future but right now is not it's time. 

»Pengwan    7719

Q4NEZBw.jpg

Ladder results from today

Win:
Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX
Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX
Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX
Buzzwole GX/Lycanroc GX
Ultra Necrozma GX/Malamar
Dusk Mane Necrozma GX/Magnezone
Necrozma GX/Malamar
Zoroark GX/Gardevoir GX
Zoroark GX/Garbodor

Loss:
Greninja BREAK
Necrozma GX/Malamar
Zoroark GX/Garbodor
Buzzwole GX/Zygarde GX

Max Elixir hasn't been very good so far, not sure I honestly need it. Only game I've dropped to Buzzwole so far they hit an Elixir onto Zygarde GX+ Float on active Remoraid + Sycamore discarding 2 Fighting t1 when I bricked. I'd either need to increase the Psychic count or just cut it I think.

Beast Ring is so good in here getting the 1 Metal 1 Psychic for Ultra Nec.

I've never really needed Brigette and I want to dig through my deck asap in here but if you open Mysterious Treasure and already have a draw supporter it does seem nice.

Lunala Prism has been very, very good one of my favorite cards in here so far.

If I manage to trade for a 3rd Ultra Nec later I'll probably just play it over the stupid Giratina. Fuck Greninja.

I played vs a mirror that was using Ultra Space over Parallel City, which I thought was interesting especially since I'm not running Brigette. But Parallel has been absolutely busted every time I've drawn it so far and I feel I'd rather have a second copy of that before Ultra Space right now.

Yeah in hindsight my brain was pretty much just on crack. 

Thoughts on Lillie? You have 11 outs into a t1 Lillie which is pretty nuts. I've been meaning to test it out (possibly with a 1:1 split of that/Brigette) but I just don't have time rn.

Grimey    8113

Only issue I have is that you're playing 3 Ultra Balls and not 4. With 8 Ultra Balls in your deck, you get set-up very consistently. I'm leaning even more-so to 8 Ultra Balls in your list because of the fact that you only play 2 Lele. You want to always have consistent access to your Draw Supporters bc we don't play Zoroark, Octillery or Oranguru (ew). 

I love it though, that's almost exactly what I'd play. Give or take a 3rd Dawn over Tina Promo depending on the meta call.  

»Pengwan    7719
On 5/8/2018 at 4:56 PM, The Antagonist said:

Yeah in hindsight my brain was pretty much just on crack. 

Thoughts on Lillie? You have 11 outs into a t1 Lillie which is pretty nuts. I've been meaning to test it out (possibly with a 1:1 split of that/Brigette) but I just don't have time rn.

My issue with playing Lillie is that it is better than Sycamore on t1, generally by 1 card. Then every other turn of the game it is much worse. I don't think its worth playing in a format where Sycamore is still legal personally.

22 hours ago, Grimey said:

Only issue I have is that you're playing 3 Ultra Balls and not 4. With 8 Ultra Balls in your deck, you get set-up very consistently. I'm leaning even more-so to 8 Ultra Balls in your list because of the fact that you only play 2 Lele. You want to always have consistent access to your Draw Supporters bc we don't play Zoroark, Octillery or Oranguru (ew). 

I love it though, that's almost exactly what I'd play. Give or take a 3rd Dawn over Tina Promo depending on the meta call.  

I just don't know what to cut besides maybe the Tina promo and just accept my L vs. the 6 people still playing Greninja. I don't even know if Tina Promo salvages that matchup for you tbh since Shadow Stitching is just brutal against this deck.