Firae

U.A. Mighty Slugger Effect Ruling

Firae    1

image.png

My brother and I are getting confused with Mighty Slugger's second effect, which says that if it attacks, my opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step. I know that it cancels flip effects, but will it cancel effects that activate when the attack is being declared? Probably not because declaring an attack is different from the actual attack itself, but I just want to make sure. Ex: Punch-in-the-Box; When your opponent's monster declares an attack while they control 2 or more monsters: Target the attacking monster; negate that attack . . .

image.png

BuildTheWalia    189

A good idea when trying to find rulings is to look for more well-known cards with the same effect.

In this case, Armades has the same "cannot activate until the end your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step" text.

The ruling for Armades from the Wikia is: If "Armades, Keeper of Boundaries" attacks, from that attack declaration until the end of the Damage Step, your opponent cannot activate Spell, Trap or monster effects.

Since it's the same effect text, the same ruling applies.

• Upvote 1

Me.    59
8 hours ago, BuildTheWalia said:

A good idea when trying to find rulings is to look for more well-known cards with the same effect.

In this case, Armades has the same "cannot activate until the end your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step" text.

The ruling for Armades from the Wikia is: If "Armades, Keeper of Boundaries" attacks, from that attack declaration until the end of the Damage Step, your opponent cannot activate Spell, Trap or monster effects.

Since it's the same effect text, the same ruling applies.

Adding to this. When comparing effects, make sure every details is the same down to punctuation and conjectures; otherwise the effects might be similar but different and could have different rulings. In the case of armades and slugger however, it's the same.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I can confirm as a guy who played this when I rediscovered the game that Mighty Slugger made the deck just good enough to make it be a major thorn in people's side when it didn't brick of course because Mighty Slugger works this way.  Meaning you could attack with no fear with a Mighty Slugger equipped with Power Jersey and go for the OTK or the win.  

Firae    1

I know I'm a bit late, but thanks everyone! This new information just made my U.A. deck a lot more powerful!

• Upvote 1