Gospel

1st Place Las Vegas Regional Report

Gospel    368

Hi everybody. I participated in the Las Vegas Regional this weekend going 7-0-1 and coming in 1st place with Gouki including the new nightmare support. I was not going to make a report for this since it was a smaller regional with 152 people in attendance but I never got around to making my YCS Dallas report so I decided to do one for this regional. I do not get to play in many events anymore as I choose to vend over playing when I get the choice. This meant this Vegas regional was my third "Premier" event in the last couple of years. Those previous two were a Vegas Regional in Zoo format where I conceded to a younger teammate giving him his first top 8 and I played go 2nd Spyrals with Tough at Dallas and finished 42nd. So going into this event I have not really done anything in Yu-Gi-Oh for a while. 

Going into this tournament I was prepared to play Spyral as I felt that I had the best grasp on the deck and it was a deck that gained a lot from the new nightmare support. One of my teammates from my stores sponsored team #Royalty named Tom topped the recent San Jose Regional with Gouki and was talking about how the deck was just a better version of Spyral that does not fold to a Ghost Ogre. He was working on a list since the San Jose Regional and I trusted him taking his list to the regional with minimal changes in the side deck. I did not have my invite for this season and was hoping to get one so I could make fun of my local players who do play and still didn't have one. 

I arrived in Vegas at 4am and decided to just not sleep and hang out with the other people in my suite. That all changed at 7am when I decided a 30 minute nap would not hurt. 4 snoozes later I woke up at 7:50, showered and headed to the venue which is connected to the Resort we were in. The tournament was ran well with Konami representatives there and it started on time. 

Round 1: Against Pendulum: He goes first with Dragon Shrine and I ash it. He stalls for a bit before passing his turn and I OTK him. Game 2 I end up having to play a grindy gouki game and play through his backrow that was sided in. I end up getting there after he warnings my link and I have rematch to keep going.

Round 2: Against Pendulum: I win the dice roll and go off doing the full combo and setting imperial milled by curious. He just scoops and doesn't want to show me what he is running. I side for going second since after seeing the full combo I doubt he would let me go first again and he chooses to go first and makes an electrumite which I use ghost ogre on. He proceeds to pendulum 2 and make another electrumite, special an astrograph and end the turn with 4 pendulum monsters in hand, a scale and those two monsters. I make an isolde and went for the otk path, he acted like he had something to stop me but I knew his hand.

Round 3: Against Lair Infernoids: This was a tale of two types of games. I ended up winning this because in game 1 I went off with the combo to otk him and in game 3 I went off with the combo and set the imperial to stop his hand of spells. Game 2 though I lost because I made a borreload dragon, If I just sat on my gouki monsters I could have won in two turns but I went for borreload to push the clock up a turn and to avoid harmadik. This was the wrong move because it actually gives him more outs as well as possibly makes his two backrows alive. He ends up going void vanishment which i ogre, flips a set imagination which I ash and flips a second imagination to take the game. 

Round 4: Against my teammate who was also running Gouki: Game 1 he goes first and I stop his play only for him to have soul charge and bring everything back. The thing was this made his board too good which he hadn't actually practiced with and it took his first turn to around 25 minutes. I actually still could have broke his board and tried to win the game but his last draw off gryphon which he used to set a rematch was imperial order. Game 2 I go off with the combo and pass with about 5 minutes left in the round, he tries to break it with kaijus and while it creates a board that he cant beat it creates a board that cant negate what he is doing and his mini combo puts us into time where I kill him and we end up drawing. He wanted his invite and ended up getting it just missing out on top 8 due to misplaying in time in the last round.

Round 5: Against Altergeist: I have no idea what the new stuff does and have to ask to read the old stuff again to make sure I don't misplay. He asks to read all of my stuff as well so I play very quickly to NOT end up in a draw again. Game 1 I have a hand where I went invoker over isolde to start the combo because I opened up Iblee and got veilered, I use rota for super agent to keep going and he has droll and lock to effectively end my turn. He couldn't clear the invoker though so I used the effect next turn and he negated it with the altergeist dog. At this point I just went for it knowing that even if he stops the otk, the pluses from all the gouki cards would allow me to try again next turn as well. He flipped anti-spell on me to stop rematch from going off but knightmare phoenix just cleared that and super agent cleared the other one and I continued going off for the win. Game 2 he uses duality for rivalry of the warlords and sets 5. He activates anti-spell which i promptly red reboot. All in the clear I go for the otk combo with a tri-gate and he tells me that i already had enough for game, to which I just replied not if you had a set enemy controller or scapegoats.

Round 6: I play against my friend Kenny Nguyen top 32 Worlds Competitor who was running True Draco. This is a pretty easy match-up for the Gouki deck and one of my teammates who also runs Draco tells him that it is insanely hard. I get game 1 pretty quickly going off with the combo and game 2 I evenly him leaving him just a Master Peace which i make pop before I make borreload and proceed to take that match.

Round 7: against Infernoid Lair: He is running 50 cards and tells me to go first. I put him on either either an invoked build or a grass build but either way I combo and search the imperial to set and he can't do anything saying that he probably should have went first but he didn't know I could do all that. Game 2 he make a saryuja turn 1 and set a backrow, in my standby he flips void feast sending his last card and I skillfully top decked ash to basically win the game right there. I just make an isolde into a cerebus and he scoops right there. He ends up getting eight place at least.

Round 8: against B.A. Infernoid: He is running 60 cards and just beat my teammate on True Draco last round making himself the last 7-0. His build makes his deck very grindy which means it can not do much on the first turn without other cards. We get deck checked and we are off to Game 1 where I win the dice roll go off with the combo and set solemn judgment off curious milling it, he thinks for a bit and scoops up his cards. The crowd of people watching the duel remark that my deck is insane and unfair which is normally code for good. Game 2 he goes first and ends with a underclock taker pointing at a beatrice which sent a fairy-tail snow. I special junk forward, summon gouki suprex and special another gouki to go off. He uses fairy-tail snow on one my suprex to clog the zone and stop me from searching twice but I just go off and end up firewall bouncing the set suprex, kaiju his beatrice followed by killing it with knightmare cerebus and using knightmare unicorn on his fairy-tail snow back to send it back to the deck. I end up with my main combo board and a set imperial but he does survive. He summons fiendish rhino and specials harmadik. He reads my knightmare cards again and thinks about his options since I have a knightmare mermaid lowering his monsters attack,knightmare gryphon which doesn't allow them to activate their effects on field unless they are linked and knightmare goblin stopping them from being targeted. This is backed up with a tri-gate negate and an imperial so it really limits his options. He makes dante and passes. I just tri-gate banish it and attack for the win. 

It was a good regional overall and not just because I won. I went down with 4 other teammates from #Royalty and we came in 1st, 5th and 17th. One dropped early to go "walk around" which was code for go gamble and the other was forced to drop because he gave a teammate the win which I did not understand why but he also didn't care much so it was okay. I am very proud of this team because when I started working with them they were good local players in my mind but they had no results at tier 2 or premier events. In a little less than a year every member has done something whether it is a ARG Win, YCS/UDS tops to even regional tops for the newer players. I just try and be the best Brady Brink I can be <3.  Now I have to debate if I am actually going to go play at Nats. My deck profile is up already on my teams new youtube channel as well as some other places but I will include it down below also. I plan on doing a video on the main combo and otk combo as well that will probably be up tomorrow morning. If you got through all of this thanks, as I know it is a lot. If you have any questions let me know and I will try and answer them. 

Decklist: 40 cards (I don't remember how to do all the cool formating like back in the day for this)

3x Gouki Headbatt

3x Gouki Suprex

2x Gouki Octostretch

2x Gouki Twistcobra

1x Gouki Bearhug

1x Gouki Riscorpio

3x Junk Forward

3x Blue Mountain Butterspy

1x Spyral Super Agent

1x Knightmare Corruptor Iblee

3x Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring

3x Ghost Ogre & Snow Rabbit

2x Gouki Re-Match

1x Reinforcement of the Army

1x Monster Reborn

1x Moon Mirror Shield

1x Divine Sword - Phoenix Blade

3x Solemn Strike

1x Solemn Judgment

1x Solemn Warning

1x Imperial Order

2x Infinite Impermanence

Side: 15 Cards

3x Evenly Matched

3x Red Reboot

3x Twin Twisters

2x Gameciel, the Sea Turtle Kaiju

2x Waking the Dragon

1x Raidraptor - Ultimate Falcon

1x The Last Warrior from Another Planet

Extra Deck: 15 Cards

2x Isolde, Two Tales of the Noble Knights

1x M-X Saber Invoker

1x Knightmare Mermaid

1x Knightmare Phoenix

1x Knightmare Unicorn

1x Knightmare Cerebus

1x Knightmare Goblin

1x Knightmare Gryphon

1x Linkuriboh

1x Binary Sorceress

1x Curious, the Lightsworn Dominion

1x Tri-Gate Wizard

1x Firewall Dragon

1x Borreload Dragon

• Upvote 8

man good job, i saw your build somewhere a day or 2 ago and it confused me slightly. do you mind explaining it? things mostly like butterspy, junk forward and the lack of any Gouki links

Gospel    368

Butterspy and Junk Forward are there to be a warrior on the board to combine with a gouki to make Isolde. Lets say we open with the level 3 gouki Twist Cobra and any one of those warriors listed we can get both on the board, link them to isolde and protect our isolde by going chain link 1 Isolde and chain link 2 Twist Cobra. We would search the level 2 Gouki Headbatt off of the Twist Cobra and the level 6 Gouki Bearhug off of Isolde since we can not use it this turn. This is the basic start to all the combos in the deck so being able to get a warrior out on the field first in the case of special summoning Junk Forward or after normal summoning a gouki in the case of Butterspy helps immensely in getting to this position. I have a video up on youtube where I just show the main combo for this build.

The Extra Deck is really tight in terms of space and after your first turn combo you are left with just the 2nd Isolde, Invoker, Borreload, Phoenix and Unicorn in the extra deck. I feel those five cards give me more utility and options than the gouki links. 

5 hours ago, Stomach The MachoPony said:

man good job, i saw your build somewhere a day or 2 ago and it confused me slightly. do you mind explaining it? things mostly like butterspy, junk forward and the lack of any Gouki links

It's pretty much definitive atp that the Gouki links suck sadly.  

Gospel    368

I have a youtube video online which shows the main combo I was doing at the Vegas Regional. Can't post that here though. 

A lot of the combos just come down to what you drew and what you want to play around. For example Invoker makes every combo better but you risk a ton by going for that over Isolde if you have the choice.  

7 minutes ago, Gospel said:

I have a youtube video online which shows the main combo I was doing at the Vegas Regional. Can't post that here though. 

A lot of the combos just come down to what you drew and what you want to play around. For example Invoker makes every combo better but you risk a ton by going for that over Isolde if you have the choice.  

I don't see why it would be an issue we post decklist and combo vids on DGz all the time:

• Upvote 1

»Pengwan    7712

what a beast

• Wow 1

turceal    29

So as far as stooping this combo it looks like you need a droll & lock or an impermance/veiler on the Isolde?

Gospel    368

TheGoldenTyranno: I was assuming I could not because of Rule 10. Since it is my own channel.

Pengwan: :wub:

Turceal: In terms of stopping the combo droll&lock hurts the Gouki engine as a whole giving you another turn which is why I liked the idea of running actual traps to fight back. Veiler and Impermanance are great since it doesn't matter how I manage my chain links you can stop what I want to protect. Ash is okay against it but it basically just makes your opponent need another monster. Ogre has its windows where it is very good and holding it for those is very important, depending on what you hit you are forcing your opponent onto a limited number of options to continue playing that turn. 

7 hours ago, Gospel said:

TheGoldenTyranno: I was assuming I could not because of Rule 10. Since it is my own channel.

The spirit of the rule to me is don't link it for the purpose of promoting yourself and channel but from a purely informative standpoint its gucci but ey I'm staff so it's gucci for me to link it anyhow but for future reference I'd just pm staff and be like I read the rules and I was wondering if doing (example) fall under breaking said rule. It never hurts to check.  

Soul    7939

goukis? links? gospel winning something? what does any of this mean?

• Upvote 1