Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Wireless headphones

Aaron    2039

Any suggestions for some wireless gym headphones? 

I have some over ear ones from august (cheap + solid) but they are pretty huge and look retarded.

I bought some cheap anker slimbuds plus which sounded TERRIBLE and this seems to be the trend with any bluetooth in-ear headphone for the gym.

I've heard good thing about the apple earpods, might just buy them as what I'm going through ATM seems like shit. 

Any suggestions please? 

I need them to be light, good looking and preferably not make me look like  a retard in the gym. 

Aaron    2039

As an update,

I ended up buying about 5-10 pairs of bluetooth headphones from the £0 to £300 price range to demo-them and decide which to keep. 

The top headphones I kept were:

1. Apple Airpods 

They simply are just way too fucking easy to use. So quick to put in your ear, so quick to charge, compact, microphone gives amazing call quality, can be used in any situation, multi device pairing. 

They have shit noise isolation, don't get loud enough, competitors have better sound quality but none really nail the ease of use of just being able to put them somewhere on your ear and bam you're in. Othere competitors require SLIGHTLY more fiddling to get them in and out, and sadly for a shitty little earphone like this, convenience and ease of use is EVERYTHING IMO. 

2. Sony CH700Ns

These headphones are incredible and IMO might just be the BEST sounding bluetooth headphones on the market. 

Most high end bluetooth headphones specify in active noise cancelling My providing passive noise isolation and active noise isolation they reduce ambient noise to nearly zero. Sony XM3000s and the QC Comfort IIs. However this comes at a BIG audio sacrifice which no amount of codec support of technological wizardry can completely undo. That is they sacrifice sound stage and imaging to block out ambient noise by capitalising on the ANC and passive noise cancelling.

These headphones have ANC but don't prioritise it (at all). The earcups are huge and soft and not deep, the air flow is crazy good and the noise isolation is average (sound can leak easier). This leads to a very very very impressive soundstage for a bluetooth headphone. They also are one of the lightest headphones on the market so great for gym. And they have 37+ hours of battery life. They also pack a very basic but solid ANC for blocking out car noising/airplanes/gym noises. They don't deal with voices and don't provide complete silence due to the open cup of the headphone (necessary for its amazing soundstage).  Its bass is also just incredible and has a custom EQ on board. 

Its build quality, design, style are shit.

Basically the average bluetooth buyer of headphones wants ANC, good looks, touch controls, passive noise isolation, folding headphones, no sound leakage, good build quality, a case. 

This headphone says fuck you and basically gives as good as an audiophile bluetooth headphone you can get for one third of the price of the very high end headphones. 

I do wish the build quality was much better and I also wish they shipped with a case but oh well. 

I use both of these for gym. Neither are sweat proof and they'll probably break within <1 year but I'm fine replacing them rather than spending £300 on a supbar set of the higher end headphones which sacrifice SQ for ANC. 

• Upvote 3

+Urthor    10227

The shitty but still there noise cancelling and actually sounding like normal headphones combination is rare and much appreciated yeah.  

Boses literally sound worse than $2 buds 

Aaron    2039
8 hours ago, Urthor said:

The shitty but still there noise cancelling and actually sounding like normal headphones combination is rare and much appreciated yeah.  

Boses literally sound worse than $2 buds 

Yeah, the quiet comforts and XM3000s are nice-ish sounding but no where near £300. Why people want to block out the world in return for poorer audio quality when paying such a premium is beyond me. 

Other headphones like the Senny 4.40s have crazy passive isolation but at the price of being uncomfortable and providing massive pressure to the ears in long listening sessions. 

The culture with technology these days is just FUCKING moronic. 

I mean we chase the thinnest laptops, sacrificing cooling, battery life, keyboard quality and performance for it to be.. fucking thin?? 

We chase having the thinnest phones in the world with the best cameras.. yet we don't prioritise battery life or call quality? I'd easily take an iphone 2x thicker that I could charge maybe every other fucking day instead.. and give me my headphone jack back.

I was surprised to see that wireless headphones have gone the same way. There is a youtuber called "gymcaddy" and his reviews shocked me. He literally talks for fucking 90% of the time about non-sound related bullshit about headphones. 

The weaknesses of the CH700Ns are mainly to do with the open earcup design. Because its SO open and SO shallow, even wearing glasses reduces the base response because the sound can dissapear. Theres no easy solution to this other than extended the headphones down a tad lower and putting your glasses over the earcups and angling them. Not a deal breaker unless you wear glasses permanently in which case I'd trial them as they just might not be able to provide you with 100% of their sound quality if the seal isn't good enough. Even then, I'd struggle to reccomend a headphone which is as comfortable, has as open a sound AND is around £100. Its really a one of a kind headphone. 

Also for a portable headphone, I think at some stage if you want an open design, you just need to come to terms with that if you're moving about and doing shit, the sound will change and not be as good or stable. They could have remedied this by:

1. Thicker earcups so they're not as shallow

2. higher clamping force.

I'm going to experiment but I am assuming thinner arms for the glasses would also prevent most of the issues. 

Clamping force seems like a no brainer but they're also ridiculusly comfortable by not clamping down on your jaw. 

I actually kind of prefer their choice on shallow earcups because wearing over-ear headphones in public and the gym already makes me feel like a bit of a retard. The only ones which look good are the ones which sound fucking horrid (looks at beats). These manage to look very low profile. If they're stuck on big thick pads, they'd look a bit too stupid and I'd probably just not wear or use them as much. 

So its a catch 22 situation. Its mainly the bass that escapes if you wear glasses. Sony give you an option to EQ up to +10db I believe on the "clear bass function" so if you permanently wear glasses, that will remedy the situation really well. 

I'm short sighted and only use these headphones for when I watch shit on my laptop or at the gym so I'm good with a few workarounds although I would LOVE a pair of glasses which are portable.

I was looking at these:

https://www.thinoptics.com/

I really think "armless" glasses should be a thing (I am aware of contacts). 

+rei+    34675

the best on the go non-buds are still the Koss PortaPros imo, fairly comfortable, adjustable clamp force, and killer drivers. 

that tech culture stupidity has been the case for 40+ years dont sweat it too much 

Aaron    2039
On 10/04/2019 at 1:03 AM, rei said:

the best on the go non-buds are still the Koss PortaPros imo, fairly comfortable, adjustable clamp force, and killer drivers. 

that tech culture stupidity has been the case for 40+ years dont sweat it too much 

im just about to buy my first pay of audiophile type headphones to see the hype.

akg 712s + a fiio amp. 

i just wanna what high end audio really is and what ppl mean by soundstage. 

i loved my 5.1 speaker setup but something about headphones is just 100x more intimate. 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34675

i wish they didnt hurt me after 5 min

all of them, any kind, buds or ote or anything

havent tried bone conduction yet but im not optimistic 

Aaron    2039
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, rei said:

i wish they didnt hurt me after 5 min

all of them, any kind, buds or ote or anything

havent tried bone conduction yet but im not optimistic 

I've just got an AKG 712 and is legit ridiculously shitty looking but so comfortable. 

This audio hobby is fucking expensive tho... 

bluetooth sonys £100 (nearly dropped 300 on the bose/sonys) 

headphones £199

portable dac/amp £80

desktop amp (because the portable one struggles to drive for video games/films): £110

I'll probably likely also keep my eye on the second hand market for a 32ohm easy to drive headset like the Fidelio X2s.. which will be another £150. 

Now I'm trying to decide on whether to grab a new DAC too.. or just to trust my shitty on board for a while. I think I'll probably edge towards trusting the BS one for a bit. 

Headphones vs speakers is such a difficult predicament. Both sound gorgeous in their own ways.. obviously anything involving heavy vibrations/subwoofer gets destroyed by my speakers but these headphones are just perfect in balance/placement for obvious reasons.  im thinking of using my old 4670k rig with a  GTX 670 to emulate old school games and play music in my room whilst using these headphones as I think they'll really bring to life some of the soundtracks I love. 

Edited by Aaron