NB96

What are some hobbies to take up

NB96    832
Posted (edited)

I took up running lately and I wanna go to the gym more regularly I just need to commit more and stop making excuses to avoid going. I also wanna take up cooking and baking because it is an important life skill anyway I'm looking for other activities that sound mildly impressive to people so that I don't have to say "video games" when people ask what my interests are. I'm also preparing to begin doing some charity work for an organisation that supports victims of crime soon so that's nice.

I think ideally if that hobby had some to do with creativity that would be good but right now I'm open to all suggestions as I need to broaden my horizons.

Edited by NB96

Have you considered taking up the guitar? 

• Upvote 1

NB96    832
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

I have thought about trying to learn a musical instrument, I've just never learned how to use one before so it's difficult to push myself but I'll think about it.

Edited by NB96

+Mascis    4496

Yugioh 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheGoldenTyranno said:

Real talk this is good advice. Learn some basic songs and you'll have people eating out of your hand

+rei+    34507

as far as instruments go, woodwinds (saxophone/clarinet especially) are the easiest but obv way less cool than guitar.

Ukulele's are really cheap for cost of entry if you wanna go that way, bitches love ukuleles. Hard to play with fat fingers tho (speaking from experience / speaking from playing half a dozen instruments, some of which actually kind of well)

Hiking is a decent hobby to mention as it super low effort in terms of planning and gear (non-cotton clothes, waterbottles, done) and dates in the woods are super cheap 

DnD is a good creative outlet

Aaron    2011

Gaming 

Anime

TV shows

are all excellent timesinks. I think Anime is probably the most rewarding time:benefit from those 3. Gaming the best if you have lots of free time.

I think an amazing grown-up hobby is photography/videography. However its VERY expensive. However whatever money you invest into it, will probably hold its value a lot better than the 3 above. 

NB96    832
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Gaming 

Anime

TV shows

are all excellent timesinks. I think Anime is probably the most rewarding time:benefit from those 3. Gaming the best if you have lots of free time.

I think an amazing grown-up hobby is photography/videography. However its VERY expensive. However whatever money you invest into it, will probably hold its value a lot better than the 3 above. 

I think those are options but ideally I want to find things that are more productive as I spend more time than I should on video games. I wanna learn cooking and baking because I'm bad at them and these are skills (at least cooking is) that is essential; I'm 21 so I should know at least the basics of these, until I do I wont be as independent as I should. I also want to commt more to excercise, working out and healthy eating because it will make me physically and psychologically healthier.

As it stands I wouldn't be able to give many answers outside video games if somebody asked me what my interests were which is very sad, at 21 years I should be better than this but now is as good a time as any. My family and I will be on holday for the coming week but aftewards I will be starting some volunteer work that I will be doing for 3-4 days a week. which should give me enough time during the week and weekends to develop these skills and grow as a person.

My uni schedule this past year had me in for 3 days a week and I absolutely wasted it by using the free time I had outside studying on video games; had I just gone to the gym regularly I would have actual meaningful results. I think most of this should be spent on health related things and life skills that I haven't learned because my parents were far too lenient growing up so I didn't do the chores and learn the skills I should have. But the way I look at it, if I can commit seriously now then I will get somewhere but I like to think that I at least have the self-awareness to that know I should be doing better in these areas and not relying on mommy and daddy anymore. That's probably not the case for some other people so at least I have something going for me.

I need to eat healthier (too many chocolate snacks in particular), run more (I bought runnign shoes a while ago and want two runs a week, usually one lap around my local park and back home is around or just under 2 miles so I want to get a second park lap in there, but it's tough to find the willpower when I'm tired after the first full lap), lose some weight (I don't think I'm fat but more like skinny fat, my stomach isn't too bad but I kinds have mini-moobs, definitely not the worst you'll see but I wanna fix it up since it's a source of negative feeling) and boost my self confidence. I think it could be because milk was my favourite drink growing up so I had tons of it, and I think milk contains oestrogen which is why my upper chest doesn't look as flat as I'd like. But also I suspect fat underneath has something to do with it. It's not so bad that it can't be fixed with the proper diet and excercise (increasing testosterone) and gym work since it is better than any case I could find on Google Images which means the solution is already in my hands, I just need to take it.

And also obviously hit the gym more regularly, not even primarily to gain muscle but just to reduce my flaws (by trying my best to define upper chest) and feel more self confident. My self-confidence has held me back and I just thought about it more on Friday while I was out buying some summer clothes and that's what prompted me to make this post.

I made this post initially about hobbies but now that I think about it I really just wanna make wholesale changes to my life to be more of an adult and more independent. Finding new interests beyond video games is where I think I should start to that but I want them to be productive, like working out, learning both essential skills but also recreeatonal ones, improving my diet but also expanding it to try new foods since I'm extremely picky over what I eat. Learning a new instrument is something I want to keep in mind but since I've never learned one before it's very daunting,mbut I think that learning these skills would make me feel more self-confident and that could carry over into other areas of my life.

Sorry for writing a wall of text it's just that when I saw your suggestions it clicked for me that I want to find something productive rather than take your suggestions and stay on video games and TV all day (anime is not quite for me with the exception of Dragon Ball stuff) because they aren't productive. For you it's fine because you've got your career and life together in medical school or as a doctor (I forget where you are) so those recreational activities can be done at your own leisure with lower opportunity cost but I think I need to get to that point in life myself before I can turn less productive things like that into a hobby because I haven't taken control of my life yet so the opportunity cost is greater for me. I'm just drifting by and not at least attempting to self-actualise. Without the added pressure of studying for Uni I theorise that I can take a slightly less stressful 12 months or so of volunteering and make use of the few days a week I gave spare to hopefully pick up a part time job for a couple evenings a week, and be working on myself in terms of skills/hobbies so that when I go back into postgraduate studies I'm a more rounded, balanced and confident person.

I'm thinking start with the essential skill (cooking), financially commit to the healthier living part (maybe invest in a Fitbit and something that helps a beginner like me count calories) and try to get a plan like 2 days a week each on jogging/gym, with the rest days being chances to absorb information from family and research into the essential skills I need to balance myself as a person. Then when it comes time for postgraduate study I've got to work on my social life  but that's something for another day. The instruments may also have to be put on the back burner for now so I can target the more pressing matters first. I'm tired of being disatisfied with life but I've got to actually do something about it muself instead of finding excuses. This all has got to be way better than how I'm spending my time now but it's all well and good saying all this but another matter entirely when it comes to I actually doing it so we'll see how serious I am about everything I've written in a few months time.

Edited by NB96
  • Upvote 2

NB96    832
Posted (edited)

Idk why I started this thread really. I asked for new hobbies but the reality is that I already know what I need to do to improve my life so taking random suggestions for new hobbies or skill doesn't seem as necessary now as it did a day ago. I already know the answers, I just need to be serious about doing them and not pussying out when the going gets tough. For the excercise and health the problem is starting them not finishing them, on the occasion that I am at a gym I'm fine, running in my local park I'm fine, it's just finding the willpower to do that in the morning consistently that I need to do. That means going to bed earlier to wake up early, force myself out of bed to go running, forcing myself to go to the gym in the morning when I'm feling tired and don't want to bother. Resisting the urge to eat a chocolate bar or other unhealthy snack when I could be eating an apple or banana instead etc. It's all oportunity cost and I need to stop taking the wrong option and get serious about life. There's no reason I need to keep feeling the way I do about myself.

Edited by NB96

Aaron    2011
Posted (edited)

yeah i get you with productive hobbies vs non productive. the issue is, its all time-specific. for example the gym is productive... to a degree.  but then its also very very very unproductive. I mean sure, u get a six pack or u look amazing with your top off, but you have no fucking social life to show it off cos you've neglected friendships for being in the gym 2 hours a day. 

if ur talking about bodybuilding for example, I've pushed my body to its limit naturally and I can honestly say its the most consuming and less rewarding hobby out of anything I've done. its taught me a few key characteristics and sure it gives you a massive edge in terms of looks but it takes away:

1. time ... around 1-2 hours a fucking day and this ignoring the time you need to devote to resting/researching/learning

2. the ability to be spontaneous and fun with foods

3. foods

4. potential fun shit like partying/getting smashed when you want

5. life

I think the key to life is balance and living in the moment. plenty of "productive" hobbies will really just suck yourself away from the moment and the memories you could be creating.

If I could "do-over" my teens and 20s, I'd do the following:

materialistic (money +time) type hobbies:

1. videography

2. photography

3. watches

4. pens

5. accessories (cufflinks and all that timeless shit) like pocket watches

A £500 graphics card is worth £50 by the time ur working. However a nice £500 lens or watch or pen will retain its value AND its value for you. 

activities money+time

1. travelling  - goes hand in hand with photography/videography 

2. the gym - namely I'd hire an online coach and ask them to teach me the whole bulk/cut cycle in 3 months and then just simplify that shit and follow it whilst working it INTO my life style... for example someone could pay me $500 and I bet I'd save you 3-5 years of fucking around in the gym.. so i'd basically try to find someone like me and pay them to teach me 

3. delve into investments - be aware of any shit going on around me and get involved

time

1. best video games of all time

2. best films of all time

3. best tv series of all time

4. dancing - really invaluable skill

here i'd be concentrating on number 1+3. I would NOT waste my time on some shit online shooters unless it genuinely brought me enjoyment and some form of social link. the truth is when u hit ur 25+ and ur in a job, playing video games becomes very hard cos u dont have the time. 

From 18-23 I'd drink FAR less and concentrate more on my body as ur hormones are crazy good then. Once you've established a decent basis of muscle and built in good habits, you can let loose a lot more from age 23 AND you will be drinking in far nicer places, with far nicer women with far more experience urself to stop u making life threatening decisions. 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    2011

in terms of fitness, if you just want to run or do some shit to make urself feel better, do w/e u want.

if you want a specific goal or body, just know that you can improve yourself around this age to meet around your natural genetic potential in a few years IF you have the right coaching NOW. 

I pity people who go to the gym, lift weights in the "hope" of something changes without the proper education... its just a massive waste of time when they could be doing something they love. I recently trained my sister, in 12 months she attained an insta-gramable physique, I then put her on a 6 month bulk where shes gained enough mass/strength which comfortably out-do any girl in the gym including ones which have fucked around for years doing bullshit. similarly with my colleague at work, I'm about to change his shitty 250lb squat [which hes been at for 5 years] to a 350lb squat in the process of 12 months. 

if ur going to the gym.. just for the sake of going to keep a bit fit, dont bother. there are more fun things to do to keep fit such as boxing, rock climbing, mma, gymnastics, sports, badminton and those will likely make you friends, improve yourself socially AND also improve co-ordination/balance/actual fitness. if ur just going because u feel u should with no game plan, u will leave the gym with nothing tbh... when u could have been at home doing shit u like. 

• Upvote 1

Fullerene60    381

If you want a great musical instrument outlet. You should give keyboard/piano a shot. You can find relatively inexpensive ones that will connect to your computer and tutorials are abundant. 

There's an outstanding android/ios app called yousician that treats learning like irl rock band style game. All the while giving you bits on music theory.

As a creative outlet its incredbile because you can get a life skill WITH the social outlet. Finding other musicians to just dick around with and create things in university is a lot of fun. Even if the skillgap is wide its one of the most efficient ways to learn.

I helped pull a guy out of severe depression with just a few bass lessons and now his core group of friends is a band he jams with once a week(the dude was 35 working for canada post).

The reason I would reccomend piano/keyboard (keyboard is cheaper and more versatile btw) is that its a simple instrument and you dont need to worry about keeping it in tune. Every string instrument requires a lot of maintenance and in my opinion requires a few in person lessons just to work out the right coordination.

tldr; try playing keyboard, its relatively simple to start, provides a great creative outlet, dynamic (with a computer) and versatile.

• Upvote 2

Bazoo    5693

I think you answered yourself in the OP: cooking and baking is a great hobby, very attractive to women, makes you friends, and you can eat for your own needs obviously. You can start by searching basic cooking tips. I watched Hilah's cooking to start, she's very cheese based but simple recipes. You need a decent skillet, knife, and that's basically it. Tons of YT channels out there for basic cooking besides her though. You could also purchase a crock pot or instant pot for easy recipes.

My personal preference would be to devote 1-2 hours to learning cooking per day, 1 hour to hiking or exercising at the gym. Hiking probably is more interesting to people but only if you've hiked in a variety of locations in your area.

One final option might be to learn another language. Spanish or Chinese might be the most useful. But sometimes you mention this and people challenge you by talking really fast in that language and it gets awkward.