Aaron

Which videogame do I play next?

Aaron    2027
Posted (edited)

Does anyone here also have just too many fucking games? 

I have a steam backlog of 300+, a wii U with basically the whole library, a dolphin folder full of Wii U games, a hacked 3DS, a nintendo switch, a PS4 I haven't touched...

yet I have 2 weeks off and can't decide what game to play. 

Recently finished Divinity Original Sin which I loved until the last temple which was boring AF and way too tricky involving teleport pyramids to the max.

Before that, I finished Mass Effect 2. I felt it was a strong 8/10 and I have no idea where these 10/10 and one of the best games of last gen are coming from given the piss poor storyline, episodic and repetitive formula, paper-thin world designs and shit combat. 

I think I've narrowed it down to

1. Sleeping Dogs

2. Skyrim Enhanced Edition w/some QOL of mods

3. Borderlands

4. Possibly Dark Souls 2 although I've heard mixed things on the game

5. Life is Strange 

6. RDR

Xenoblade Chronicles would have been in the mix but I feel I've spoilt the story very strongly (I know that one good guy whos name being with Z is actually the bad guy, if this doesn't spoil the story then I'll consider it). 

Rise of the Tomb Raider, divinity 2, Dark Souls 3 and Witcher 3 will all be played once Nvidia release a new card I can buy. 

Once I get around to buying a Ps4 Pro or hacking my current PS4, I'll play SOTC remake, Nioh. 

Edited by Aaron

NB96    850
Posted (edited)

I would say Red Dead Redemption but also if you haven't tried it then maybe Crash Bandicoot N Sane Triology.

Edited by NB96

BuildTheWalia    249

RDR or Borderlands

Pick RDR if you want more story "given" to you

Pick Borderlands if you like to make up your own story as you go along

+rei+    34655

you can straight skip life is strange its a steaming pile of shit

+rei+    34655

i mean it can get you laid with angsty teenagers but i mean you can prob just play the doctor card for that 

+rei+    34655

RDR is prob the best of the remaining five

Aaron    2027
3 hours ago, rei said:

Any other games you'd recommend rei? 

There are SOOOO many games I haven't played. I'm baffled there aren't some absolute GEMs people aren't screaming "yo u dumb bitch play these NOW!!" how I would with anime to other people. 

+rei+    34655

Nier Automata

Aaron    2027
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, rei said:

Nier Automata

Im following ur reccomendation of RDR. 

this is a list of games I want to get through this year:

Dark souls 2 [holding off in hope of switch version] 

Demon Souls 

Red Dead Redemption 

Borderlands 1/2

Skyrim

Portal 2

Life is Strange

ME3

Sleeping Dogs

the following are older titles where i've only heard epic shit about them: 

Earthbound

KOTOR  1/2  - only heard 

Deus Ex

FF Tactics

maybe:

Xenogears

Planescape Torment 

Morrowind

Metal Gear Solid

[when i get a new gfx card] aka when the 1180 comes out

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Witcher 3

Dark souls 3

Dishonoured 2

Neir Automata

Divinity OS 2

[when i get a ps4 pro] 

SOTC

Nioh

Horizon Zero Dawn

Until Dawn

God of War

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    2027

however if i hack my switch, i will 99% just play every switch game/port there is starting with south park + followed by hollow knight. 

Faint    5854

god of war is great if you just want mindless button mashing

KOTOR is great

morrowind should be your priority i think 

i agree with ash - Life Is Strage is a pile of shit

also if you want an in depth stat game and used to watch the anime id recommend digimon world next order. its a needlessly and fantastically complicated version of tammogochi and pokemon mixed

+rei+    34655

yeah like Life is Strange is one of the worst written disgusting messes of shit I've ever seen 

I don't do numerical ratings of video games but seriously 1/10

KOTOR 1 is absolutely great, best star wars game ever made - 2 is good but not as good because they had to cut a LOT of content due to deadline pressure - I've heard a lot of it has been restored by mods though so go for it.

Morrowind will have the FF7 problem with you - the interface is just so shitty it'll drive you crazy, especially with all the walls of text - Oblivion is mostly a better game though its level scaling gets VERY punishing to non-optimal builds in the late game

Earthbound is very good, but now that I've actually sunk like 20 hours into it I do think Chrono Trigger is better. 

Portal 2 isn't as good as Portal 1 but is still outstanding and for better or worse is a fair bit longer - and J K Simmonds fucking kills all his voice lines; god I love him. 

Deus Ex is in fact epic; as is System Shock 2 - I always kind of group those two together in my mind but Deus Ex is probably the better game I just like SS2 more.  (SS1 interface as a 1994 First Person RPG Shooter is somewhat frustrating) 

Aaron    2027
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, rei said:

yeah like Life is Strange is one of the worst written disgusting messes of shit I've ever seen 

I don't do numerical ratings of video games but seriously 1/10

KOTOR 1 is absolutely great, best star wars game ever made - 2 is good but not as good because they had to cut a LOT of content due to deadline pressure - I've heard a lot of it has been restored by mods though so go for it.

Morrowind will have the FF7 problem with you - the interface is just so shitty it'll drive you crazy, especially with all the walls of text - Oblivion is mostly a better game though its level scaling gets VERY punishing to non-optimal builds in the late game

Earthbound is very good, but now that I've actually sunk like 20 hours into it I do think Chrono Trigger is better. 

Portal 2 isn't as good as Portal 1 but is still outstanding and for better or worse is a fair bit longer - and J K Simmonds fucking kills all his voice lines; god I love him. 

Deus Ex is in fact epic; as is System Shock 2 - I always kind of group those two together in my mind but Deus Ex is probably the better game I just like SS2 more.  (SS1 interface as a 1994 First Person RPG Shooter is somewhat frustrating) 

Damn the interface shit is really real too for me. 

I remember playing FF7 and simple shit like a door or puzzle are made complicated by the glitchy blocky graphics, which I would have been acclimatised to 20 years ago. 

My one pain in the ass if I game on a 65 inch TV so I feel like games such as Deus ex/KOTOR would look nicer on a small monitor lol. 

I'm quite susceptible to anything Nintendo so I wouldn't be surprised if I rated EB higher than CT by the end. 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    2027
Posted (edited)
On 08/07/2018 at 7:51 PM, rei said:

I'm about 4 missions into Mexico RDR wise and will probably end up dropping it. 

4 missions into Mexico and I think I'm giving up for now. Its just too boring and the open world is filled with nothing. Getting strong Assassin's Creed 1 vibes from this game despite it being a lot more open. The combat mechanics are really boring. Deadeye was cool to begin with but its crap now. Enemy design sucks. Missions are repetitive. The tutorial session and the farming was beyond dry. The dialogue is good but the story moves at a snails pace (its like if Netflix did a western but instead I only get 10 minutes of content for every 1 hour I sit down).  I'm sure in 2010 I would have loved this game but not right now.

I think this game has a heavy heavy coating of nostalgia when people re-call it. Games like BOTW have totally eclipsed this in regards to gameplay and how to build an open world whilst games like The Last of Us have provided us with far far more engrossing and engaging stories which move far more realistically from set piece to set piece. I feel like RDR is a huge compromise of both. I'll give it a 7.0 but honestly from what I've played, it might be closer to a 6. I feel like I'm just playing it for the cutscenes.  

Am I missing something? I remember someone in another thread basically telling me this when I suggested I was going to play it. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34655

its just better than the other games you listed is all... except maybe skyrim but i have such a boner for skyrim i cant rate it fairly

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2027
2 hours ago, rei said:

its just better than the other games you listed is all... except maybe skyrim but i have such a boner for skyrim i cant rate it fairly

yeah the selection i wrote was quite random tbh. 

I might play Borderlands 2 at some point this week but I honestly think it'll edge RDR. I think RDR hasn't aged well at all and everyone who gives it 10/10 plays it now will be like what the fuck. 

+rei+    34655

oh i forgot a note about Chrono Trigger and Earthbound from when you were complaining about encounter rates

In both games you can see your random encounters on the world map before the encounter begins - in CT when you sufficiently outlevel opponents they actively run away from you (no encounter) while in earthbound if you substnatially outlevel your opponent you simply get a victory message + rewards and XP without ever seeing a battle; both are great steps up from the final fantasy/pokemon random encounters wherever

Aaron    2027
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, rei said:

oh i forgot a note about Chrono Trigger and Earthbound from when you were complaining about encounter rates

In both games you can see your random encounters on the world map before the encounter begins - in CT when you sufficiently outlevel opponents they actively run away from you (no encounter) while in earthbound if you substnatially outlevel your opponent you simply get a victory message + rewards and XP without ever seeing a battle; both are great steps up from the final fantasy/pokemon random encounters wherever

Yup, playing earthbound now and its really really inventive. Its almost like a troll-RPG.

I've already played chrono trigger, i liked it a lot. 

I think I'm going to try Skyrim, FF tactics or KOTOR next. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34655

Skyrim and KOTOR are both great; FF Tactics is a genre thing for me i don't like tactical rpg style much at all because im garbo at it (see also: disgaea, xcom) but the hype is real yknow? 

Im weirdly bad at earthbound and found it more grindy than i'd like, and that's coming from someone who ruins the shit out of most JRPGs. I really should get back to it, I'm just not wanting to wander back into that fucking desert rofl 

you did spoil a little of XBC but honestly its nothing massive and dosent show up until you're like 80% done with the main story anyway. i'd still give it a go 

Aaron    2027
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stomach The MachoPony said:

you did spoil a little of XBC but honestly its nothing massive and dosent show up until you're like 80% done with the main story anyway. i'd still give it a go 

thanks man, will probably play it at some point on 3DS.

I think I'm gonna start earthbound + skyrim. 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    2027
On 10/07/2018 at 0:04 AM, rei said:

Aaron    2027

For anyone thats played dead space, does knowing that a certain someone is dead spoil the game at all?

Honestly i need to just stop going on fucking reddit for gaming suggestions.

Aaron    2027
23 hours ago, rei said:

Skyrim and KOTOR are both great; FF Tactics is a genre thing for me i don't like tactical rpg style much at all because im garbo at it (see also: disgaea, xcom) but the hype is real yknow? 

Im weirdly bad at earthbound and found it more grindy than i'd like, and that's coming from someone who ruins the shit out of most JRPGs. I really should get back to it, I'm just not wanting to wander back into that fucking desert rofl 

Started Skyrim and its fucking dope. Like an actual videogame. 

Not sure what difficulty I'll set it to. As far as I know, increase in difficulty just makes enemies more spongey .. get the feeling this game is more about exploration than the battle system lol. 

• Upvote 1