Aaron

Which videogame do I play next?

+rei+    34656

how you been finding / how did you find p5 urthor? 

Aaron    2027
On 7/19/2018 at 2:59 PM, Urthor said:

Also shoutout to Persona 5 on RPCS3 pushing my CPU to the limit for sweet sweet 25 frames per second Persona (it's a lot better if you have TSX)

fuck me there is a ps3 emulator?

what processor required to run games?

+Urthor    10223
4 hours ago, Aaron said:

fuck me there is a ps3 emulator?

what processor required to run games?

I'm running it on something ancient at 3.8 ghz.  Basically most proper desktop quad cores can do the job as long as they are not Bulldozer, laptops if they support TSX.  

However, only certain games work, MGS4 and Last of Us don't because they use weird GPU hacks. 

Even if you don't have TSX if you just overclock to 4.2 ghz on a quad core you can probably get locked 30 FPS.

Persona 5 works brilliantly as long as you have the CPU for it, mine is chugging but most of the TSX people are getting close to 50 FPS which is absurd since the PS3 version was locked to 30fps.

rei it's a good Shin Megami Tensei game idk if any criticism has ever been leveled at it but it doesn't deserve it.  Better game than Persona 4 IMO the dark storyline is pretty good.  Probably on the border between game I really like and Witcher 3/Kotor1/The Nameless Mod, a game I like enough that it's a clear and obvious detriment to my health and well being.  

+rei+    34656

awesome ive put.. too much time in this week; im at the Palace of the sister of a player character; 
first time playing an SMT game of any type despite borrowing P3FES from a friend... seven years ago... 

i will prob play 3 and 4 - i still have like $30 on PSN to buy p4 for my vita anyway 

+Urthor    10223

Obligatory it still looks way better on PC with glorious PC master race upscaling and the load times are way faster because SSD 

+rei+    34656

SSD would be better, looks would not be as PS4 version is native 1080p60fps (...which matches my PC displays; obv if im upscaling to 4k the initial 720vs1080 isnt gonna matter) 

Aaron    2027
Posted (edited)

persona 5, def do PS4 version. 

persona 3/4, def do pcsx2 or if u can, persona 4 do PS Vita version. ]

what is persona 5's story + engagement like? 

this is my issue with persona games (persona 3+4)

-boring story (especially persona 4)

-repetitive as hell (especially persona 3)

-shit battle system which holds all the good spells until you are a very high level... and even then its just clasic RPG shit like heal/buff/buff/buff/defence/heal/heal and attack elemental/weaknesses 

-shit interactions which dont wave into the story

-small shit worlds with little to interact with

-build repetitive bonds, clicking through boring dialogue to slowly build a connection with a non-entity NPC who doesnt help u apart from his shit storyline

now granted p3/p4 were made on the Ps2 so i understand their limitations but i felt like persona 4 went backwards in regards to tone too, P3's story was definitely better but was just hella repetitive, P4 was like playing fucking scooby doo but without the tits of that red head.

i accept a lot of the shit P3/P4 have due to technical limitations aka Ps2... much like i give kingdom hearts 1 + 2 a break ... but has P5 finally corrected the pacing etc. or is it much of the same? 

i still struggle to understand how ppl rate Persona 4 on vita as the holy grail of vita games. i expected so much but it was just a good game.. definitely no pokemon in regards to addictness or charm. 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34656

im 61 hours into P5, I alreayd have a PS2 copy pf P3FES i borrowed from a friend years ago - i have 30 bucks in PSN cash still ill prob use that on p4 for vita 

Anyway this is my first itme playing a persona gmae so I'll give you what i got:

what is persona 5's story + engagement like? 

>> I really enjoy the story and characters, they have their own charms and I do enjoy interacting with my favourites a ton.

-boring story (especially persona 4)

>> Not the case here though as a long game it's a lot easier to think of P5 as an anime series to say, Final Fantasy games as a movie. 

-repetitive as hell (especially persona 3)

>> Yep. A lot of bouncing around Tokyo for cool shit to do / people to meet but not interactive enough for it to always feel fresh; I had no problem with it but it is kinda super glorified visual novel at times. 

-shit battle system which holds all the good spells until you are a very high level... and even then its just clasic RPG shit like heal/buff/buff/buff/defence/heal/heal and attack elemental/weaknesses 

>> I dont feel like I've ever been restricted from doing cool shit, but it is still classic RPG to an extent except that weakness and resistance and sneak attacks is like the key gameplay mechanic and because of it battles are pretty damn short, makes gridning less of a chore that's for sure - not that i've done any grinding at all of combat skills 60 hours in; I think this is one thing you're gonna need to watch on youtube and see if its your thing - i actively like it because its a real turn based rpg combat system and not some weird hybrid shit Squeenix has been trying since ff11

-shit interactions which dont wave into the story

>> I dont think that's a problem in P5 except when you find an early game confidant in the endgame and it gives you early-game styled dialogue. 

-small shit worlds with little to interact with

> Sorta yes sort of no - P5 has a pretty big world but it does a fair bit of hand holding and restriction, and the time system can be frustrating until you get a clue on how it actually works 

-build repetitive bonds, clicking through boring dialogue to slowly build a connection with a non-entity NPC who doesnt help u apart from his shit storyline

> sorta yes sorta no - the confidants are awesome, they do help you, and hteir storylines are generally all good and you can just bail on the ones you dont like, none are really mandatory. 

So yeah not sure if it'd be your bag 

Aaron    2027

ill still play it.

i played P3 and loved a lot about it. P4 was a bit of a drag for me... just cos the whole tone of the main story was very very very scooby doo.

P5 doesnt look like that at all.. looks like a more edgy P3. 

Bazoo    5700

I enjoy Persona 3 and 4 but honestly haven't beat them. I also enjoy Nocturne and SMTIV more...probably just purely on the basis that I like 80% of my games to mainly focus on the story. But Nocturne also just had an awesome feel, great gameplay, amazing bosses, and feels more streamlined to me. 

It's easy to forget how many friggin SMT games exist too, don't forget about DDS 1 & 2, SMTIV Apocalypse, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, Devil Survivor...@_@ Who the fuck has time to play all these??

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34656

p5 might be the first game i immediately dive into the ng+ for 

Aaron    2027
1 hour ago, rei said:

p5 might be the first game i immediately dive into the ng+ for 

dont u feel the combat is a bit simple?

P3/P4 was basic:

1. attack weaknesses

2. attack enemies from behind in battle field so u have advantage

3. hit elemental/weapon weaknesses and all out attack when u can

4. heal, buff, buff (namely speed/reflect), heal 

etc.

Have they added more interesting attacks or is it more of the same? I really like Bravely default because it at least tried to add new mechanics to the turn based combat stuff we have gotten used to over the past 20 years or so. 

i know sorry i sound like a negative nancy shitting on persona. i do like the games as i have finished the prev 2 but i regard them as very flawed gems. 

+rei+    34656

its basically that still; except less heal buff because most mooks will go down to the first all out attack or negotiation (when you hit weakness on everything you're prompted for AOA or you can negotiate for their personas/money/items) - battles are over so quickly the simplicity kinda helps, and the design/feel of it is satisfying enough to push past that

bosses are another story and while theyre still simple jrpg combat they dont feel bad or lacking, but they'd likely still fit your formula by and large 

+rei+    34656

im with you on the flawed feel at times though for different reasons (time management handholding looking at you as well as railroading) 

i actually think yahtzees take is really solid to follow because he fucking hates jrpgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfEFtVPFWzw

NB96    850

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is very good imo

Aaron    2027
On 29/07/2018 at 1:27 PM, NB96 said:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is very good imo

I started it then stopped...

idk why i stopped, was quite solid. 

+rei+    34656
On 2018-07-23 at 5:56 PM, Aaron said:

dont u feel the combat is a bit simple?

P3/P4 was basic:

1. attack weaknesses

2. attack enemies from behind in battle field so u have advantage

3. hit elemental/weapon weaknesses and all out attack when u can

4. heal, buff, buff (namely speed/reflect), heal 

etc.

Have they added more interesting attacks or is it more of the same? I really like Bravely default because it at least tried to add new mechanics to the turn based combat stuff we have gotten used to over the past 20 years or so. 

i know sorry i sound like a negative nancy shitting on persona. i do like the games as i have finished the prev 2 but i regard them as very flawed gems. 

Ok so the big change now that im playing P4 is P5 has real, non RNG dungeons, and sneaking mechanics so its not just 'hope you can loop around a monster' - it feels a LOT more fluid cos of that and the fact there's no combat menu you use bound-buttons to do features so it feels quicker and more natural and everything flows super well.