Aaron

Video Game club

Aaron    2024

I'm thinking of starting this for movies too but wanted to put the feelers out. 

Who is game for starting a video-game club?  Say 1x game per month, a set of us all play and talk shit about. It can be a new game or old game you've already played [altho obviously we'd mind spoilers] and I think its be pretty awesome. 

I want to do this too for Films/Anime/TV eventually. I feel Films would be the simplest, anime wouldn't be too difficult because its very bingey, TV might be harder. However I think video-games are actually far more rewarding and personal compared to a 2 hour film. Like a 2hour film you just critique the shit out of it or like it/love it but a video game can give you so many epic memories and difficulties you've faced. I wish for example I'd played Divinity Original sin alongside someone else because theres literally 83748748748 different ways to go about the game. Similarly with BOTW, so many fucking secrets that I wish I'd shared personally w/people rather than youtube vids. 

+Sophocles    3075

This would be cool

Probably need to be only or mostly PC titles, though.

Bazoo    5698

i can't promise I would completely finish every game but I like the motivational aspect. Also would we be conscious about availability? Basically very interested but wouldnt want to purchase new $60 games every month (maybe we could alternate every month, NES/SNES/PS1 game that can be easily emulated, then the next month newer gen, etc.) 

+Paraliel+    8030

I'm interested depending on the scope of the titles.

Faint    5847

id be interested for sure. i dont have a pc though so id generally prefer console, might just get involved when you guys do that 

»Tygo    14119

If emulators are involved, I might be able to give this a shot.

Aaron    2024

I'm thinking either PC or PS4 to begin with, 1 game a month. 

You don't need to finish the game by any means, just share opinions/progress. 2 weeks in we can hold a mini-vote as to whether people are still playing it or have dumped it. If we've dumped it, we'll just pick a new game and go again. 

Most games I'd be wanting to volunteer will be cheap as fuck on PC. I'd like to do console, and we definitely could if people could list what they do and don't have. 

I think 1 month is a LONG time too, so gives everyone a chance. 

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34642

I'm in; maybe not for every single game but a quick two week sample should be fun

says the guy whos put 30 hours into Persona 5 since Sunday. 

I'd be more interested in the movie club you mentioned, so if that happens later on I would be into it. Also, a DGz book club would be cool.

+rei+    34642

alright first game persona 4 or persona 4 golden lets go

(/s) 

NB96    842
Posted (edited)

Is anybody actually serious about this? If so, the games should obviously be easily accessible. I'd like to nominate Chrono Trigger as it is a famous JRPG from the SNES that is available using browser emulators. I have never played it before and would like to try it out.

Also I think more people would participate if we used Discord.

@rei

@BuildTheWalia

@KimJongUnderballs

@Aaron

@Tygo

@Faint

@Grimey

@Bazoo

@Sophocles

@Paraliel

@Stomach The MachoPony

Edited by NB96

Aaron    2024
1 hour ago, NB96 said:

Is anybody actually serious about this? If so, the games should obviously be easily accessible. I'd like to nominate Chrono Trigger as it is a famous JRPG from the SNES that is available using browser emulators. I have never played it before and would like to try it out.

Also I think more people would participate if we used Discord.

@rei

@BuildTheWalia

@KimJongUnderballs

@Aaron

@Tygo

@Faint

@Grimey

@Bazoo

@Sophocles

@Paraliel

@Stomach The MachoPony

I'm game for this. Just lemme know if we can agree on a title. I have every video game system known to man i think at the moment accessible so. 

+rei+    34642

Let's do Chrono trigger

+Urthor    10220

I literally just did a complete playthrough wtf

• Haha 1

NB96    842
Posted (edited)

Bear in mind the links are all to a browser-based emulator site that uses Flash player. You can create save states on here easily too.

Chrono Trigger: http://emulator.online/snes/chrono-trigger/
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars: http://emulator.online/snes/super-mario-rpg-legend-of-the-seven-stars/
Final Fantasy VI: http://emulator.online/snes/final-fantasy-6/
Banjo-Kazooie: https://emulatoronline.com/n64-games/banjo-kazooie/
The Legend of Zelda: https://emulatoronline.com/nes-games/the-legend-of-zelda/
Super Mario Bros 3: https://emulatoronline.com/nes-games/super-mario-bros-3/
Golden Sun: https://emulatoronline.com/gba-games/golden-sun/
Resident Evil 2: https://emulatoronline.com/n64-games/resident-evil-2/

I find 2D games a little easier to play on a keyboard since I only have directional arrow buttons but maybe I should try to find another 3D game to add there for variety. I tried for older games but some of these are probably bad suggestions. I am trying to get into turn-based RPG's a little more since they are easier to play on an emulator for me personally. My slection maybe doesn't have enough action games here though, just a lot of RPG and a couple platformers. And like Aaron said we can always switch games after a week or two if we aren't liking them. Golden Sun is supposed to be quite good but the series hasn't really taken off.

These are mainly Nintendo games because the first site I tried seems to only have Nintendo and Sega games (and not Playstation stuff) but I'm sure there are other classic options like Silent Hill 2, Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Metal Gear Solid, Spyro: Year of the Dragon, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Tomb Raider, Burnout 3: Takedown, Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening etc. on other sites.

There are also games that we wouldn't need to take a month for, things like Metal Slug for example (anybody remember playing this on the arcade machines?).

Edited by NB96

+Sophocles    3075

Chrono trigger is a good starting option, probably the most acclaimed of the list.

(Suck it urthor)

• Upvote 1

NB96    842
Posted (edited)

I just realised I shouldn't have let people pick multiples because we could have a draw of 3 or 4 games at the same number of votes. Oh well who cares.

Would anybody have a problem if we wait until 11:59pm Tuesday and then voting is over and the winner is decided? That gives a little over 48 hours of voting time left so we can actually get on with this if people are serious about trying this out.

Edited by NB96

+rei+    34642

ima play it on SNES classic;

SNES9x 1.53 is what most speedrunners use as an emu - note older versions are considered not console accurate enough (same with ZSNES) 

• Pride 1
  • Thanks 1