Aaron

Video Game club

NB96    850

I just started today, I like it so far and I just got the first party member but I can't help but feel that having to press diagonal on the keys constantly gets really annoying really quickly. It's just not pleasant, I wish there were a way for me to use a joy stick to move instead of directional arrow keys. Or they design the layout/camera angle so that it isn't diagonal forcing you to press keys diagonally.

Also I will probably tag everybody at the 2 week mark (so the 25th) to ask if people want to continue or if they don't like the game and want to try something new.

Edited by NB96

+rei+    34655

if youre emulating see if you can bind diagonals to your numpad keys (7 9 1 3)
or use an xbox 360 controller

NB96    850

I'm emulating using the site I linked on the previous page but I don't think they let you do that.

Bazoo    5700

I have a cartridge and will be playing portably on a Supaboy!

NB96    850

I have just got the third star, really enjoying it so far. I'll admit that I'm not crazy about the timed hit mechanic, although I'm sure I'd like it more if it were possible to get an explanation for when to time for each individual attack rather than just the tutorial for Mario's first two moves.

How is everybody else liking it?

Bazoo    5700

Now that October is almost over I've finally started

IMG_20181021_191729.jpg

• Upvote 1

NB96    850

@Bazoo We might be the only two people who actually bothered to do this in the end lol

BuildTheWalia    249
6 hours ago, NB96 said:

@Bazoo We might be the only two people who actually bothered to do this in the end lol

I tried it out for an hour or so. I’ve never really been a fan of the JRPG genre and although this was more interesting it wasn’t that fun imo

NB96    850

Just completed the game (including the secret boss); really enjoyed myself. A great RPG, particularly for people starting out as new to this particular genre. I didn't like the timed hits at first (and I still feel there should have been a way to find out how to time each attack) but it adds something different to the turn based battle system (which can at times get boring for me personally) so I grew to like this subtle addition in the end.

The story isn't the most engrossing but what did you expect from a Mario game? I really enjoyed Mario's interaction with Mallow, and I felt that Geno was a badass character as well. Bowser got some character development as well, and you get to see what he's really like behind the persona he gives off to everybody else.

In terms of difficulty, I felt the game was fairly easy for the most part up to the final third; at that point it starts to ramp up the difficulty so you need to come prepared and at the proper level. I felt that some equipment devalued the gameplay by making it slightly too easy (Lazy Shell weapon and armor is very powerful but you don't get that until towards the end). I felt the Axem Rangers boss was a not-so-subtle difficulty spike, however.

The battle system is fairly easy to get to grips with and it is kept fairly simple which is has its pros and cons; on the one hand you lose a little bit of freedom that you might have in other turn-based battle system games (such as the option of various magic and summoning spells from the Final Fantasy series) but by reducing those options it keeps it simple enough for newcomers to the genre. That's likely what they were going for; I've read that this game was developed by Squaresoft (now Square Enix) to bring Westerners over to the RPG genre and using the Mario brand made it more marketable than a new IP would have been to that audience.

Overall, a great game that I've enjoyed playing. I liked the characters, I grew to like the battle system and the story (although neither special nor unique) was serviceable, as expected.

I wonder if anybody other than myself and @Bazoo have played through much of this?

@rei

@BuildTheWalia

@KimJongUnderballs

@Aaron

@Tygo

@Faint

@Grimey

@Sophocles

@Paraliel

@Stomach The MachoPony

Edited by NB96

Faint    5854

I never started. I work a busy schedule and had to choose what to allocate my time to either this or Daredevil s3 / seven deadly sins s2. I went against this and 1 million percent was correct in the choice

Bazoo    5700

As a teen I played through most of the game but never beat it completely. I've owned the cart for a while though and always meant to complete it. I am continuing to play but probably won't beat it until November. :O Lol. 

I think it's absolutely worth a playthrough at least once in your lifetime and I'm shocked at these blokes being so disrespectful to the classics. Get the fuck out of here, you don't deserve to be in Video Game Club! And that goes for the other 2 people who are still active on this forum, screw you too!

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34655

I started it then got really sidetracked with some life bullshit