Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Macbook Pro...

Aaron    2007
Posted (edited)

I'm a big MBP fan but looking at the prices of a new 15'' MBP now, I don't think I'll ever buy one again. 

How do you guys feel about apple's range of computers?

I feel hopefully the next refresh of the iMac has an SSD at stock, the latest processor and I'll grab the 27'' version of that for my basic apple needs (browing/mail/facetime). 

I think given what you get (a nice as fuck screen / a mouse / keyboard / solid speakers for an all-in-one / all the connectivity gash / hopefully a good processor + decent graphics card... its not the worst deal in the world). 

They just seem crazy expensive and I'm paying a preimum for:

-a new innovative keyboard i dont want

-a touch bar i dont want

-loads of usb c/thunderport ports i dont use

-thinness i really dont appreciate 

I'm still using my 2014 MBP and its going strong as fuck at present and hopefully just keeps on going... 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34503

they've gotten a LOT more expensive in Canada lately and it's kind of a joke 

Jazz    5098

I bought a MB Air in 2013 and it was a great choice for me (previously owned a 2006 MBP). I don't want or need a laptop to act as a desktop. I maxed out the RAM for an extra $100. Next time I buy one I'll also max out the CPU.

I still enjoy the convenience and durability of Apple products. The price increase doesn't bother me since I don't feel the need to upgrade very frequently and the products perform well for years. My 2013 Air is still going strong. I'll probably buy a new laptop in like 2019/2020 just for the improved QoL from having a modern machine, and hopefully keep the 2013 Air as an above average spare.

I recommend browsing the new Macbooks / Airs. I think as time has gone on they are more appropriate for casual/student/home use while MBP has become more appropriate for specific professional applications like Graphics Design, Film, Recording, etc. Basically all their products have shifted upwards and I think some former MBP users will find that the new Macbooks / Airs are the best replacements for their old machines.

+rei+    34503

your increases are way less than ours as we now pay like 2k for entry level mbp

Aaron    2007
13 hours ago, Jazz said:

I bought a MB Air in 2013 and it was a great choice for me (previously owned a 2006 MBP). I don't want or need a laptop to act as a desktop. I maxed out the RAM for an extra $100. Next time I buy one I'll also max out the CPU.

I still enjoy the convenience and durability of Apple products. The price increase doesn't bother me since I don't feel the need to upgrade very frequently and the products perform well for years. My 2013 Air is still going strong. I'll probably buy a new laptop in like 2019/2020 just for the improved QoL from having a modern machine, and hopefully keep the 2013 Air as an above average spare.

I recommend browsing the new Macbooks / Airs. I think as time has gone on they are more appropriate for casual/student/home use while MBP has become more appropriate for specific professional applications like Graphics Design, Film, Recording, etc. Basically all their products have shifted upwards and I think some former MBP users will find that the new Macbooks / Airs are the best replacements for their old machines.

Sorry Jazz but you're totally wrong.

The whole Macbook lineup including the pros is now catering towards casual use. 

The MBP no longer has a good keyboard which is neccessary for professional use... heck it doesn't even have an SD card slot which is a must for most creative professionals!! 

Jazz    5098
8 hours ago, Aaron said:

Sorry Jazz but you're totally wrong.

The whole Macbook lineup including the pros is now catering towards casual use. 

The MBP no longer has a good keyboard which is neccessary for professional use... heck it doesn't even have an SD card slot which is a must for most creative professionals!! 

Can't comment on the keyboard issue you have but you can get an adaptor for SDs

Aaron    2007

Its a prevalent issue with the new macbooks keyboards. Have you not seen them? 

The butterfly switches are awful compared to a proper KB. 

Yes but professional grade devices shouldn't require dongles. 

I'm not sure if you're seeing my point at all? 

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34503

the hardware is still def professional tier, and I wouldn't call an SD card reader pro-tier equip either. Every SD component in the last two decades has supported access over USB to the device itself. 

The fucked keyboard yeah; but if you're talking professional equipment you're likely docking it anyway. 

Aaron    2007
4 hours ago, rei said:

the hardware is still def professional tier, and I wouldn't call an SD card reader pro-tier equip either. Every SD component in the last two decades has supported access over USB to the device itself. 

The fucked keyboard yeah; but if you're talking professional equipment you're likely docking it anyway. 

I wouldn't.

The MBP processor is outdated, there is a severe lack of ports to make it versatile for professional use, the keyboard is garbage compared to other laptops.

I think prioritising thinness and profile is definitely pandering more towards the university crowd rather than proper professionals. 

+rei+    34503

calling an intel processor outdated these days is kinda  a joke they've done so few changes since 2011; its basically die shrink and call it a day. 

+rei+    34503

(I'd also argue that most professional work is done with multiple screens hence my dock comment) 

Aaron    2007
2 hours ago, rei said:

calling an intel processor outdated these days is kinda  a joke they've done so few changes since 2011; its basically die shrink and call it a day. 

video editting time between this gen and last gen's processors is notable. 

Edited by Aaron

Aaron    2007
2 hours ago, rei said:

(I'd also argue that most professional work is done with multiple screens hence my dock comment) 

not a good enough excuse. 

i buy a laptop to also be portable, docks aren't always available. I'd like to be able to access and edit my videos/photos on the go without having to carry around dongles galore. 

yes professional work can be done in a more stable setting but in all honesty, in those setups wtf would i use a macbook. 

+rei+    34503

i dont think the mbp misses that use case though; the only dongle you'd need is the cable that already attaches to your phone/camera and you'd need that regardless - the keyboard id say is the real legitimate gripe 

Haruki    9169

i bought a macbook air last year and a 15" macbook pro from 2015 last week because it was on sale at best buy for $1,500 which is the last best macbook pro apple has made. my sister also has a macbook pro from 2014 and is still using it. you should keep using yours because i doubt apple will fix the keyboard issue on the 2016 and 2017 models. i don't think there is much difference between the 2014 and 2015 models. i'm using my macbook pro for everything now.

Aaron    2007
5 hours ago, Haruki said:

i bought a macbook air last year and a 15" macbook pro from 2015 last week because it was on sale at best buy for $1,500 which is the last best macbook pro apple has made. my sister also has a macbook pro from 2014 and is still using it. you should keep using yours because i doubt apple will fix the keyboard issue on the 2016 and 2017 models. i don't think there is much difference between the 2014 and 2015 models. i'm using my macbook pro for everything now.

yup 2014/2015 is where its at.

Beautiful keyboard, awesome port selection, great battery life not being sucked up by bugs in the touch bar, magsafe adaptor, HDMI out, etc.