Sign in to follow this  
Francis J Underwood

The Anime Masterpieces Thread

Posted (edited)

In an effort to revive Animegroundz and end shit taste in anime, the greatest minds of Animegroundz combine to create a list of the greatest anime ever made. All of the suggestions should be treated as mandatory viewing and representative of the best animes their respective genres has to offer

So, like the Anime Recommendations thread, posters may nominate anime to be added to the list on a rolling basis. The goal here is to create a list of animes that can be considered masterpieces so new blood can develop a quality anime palate, patrons to the section can find something new to watch that they may have missed, and to debate which the greatest animes ever created. 

Nominations should be in the following format (an example will be provided in the next post) 

Picture of Nomination 

A description of the anime and why you should watch it. 

The name of the Anime 

Edited by Francis J Underwood

Posted (edited)

Some people say there can be no such thing as a masterpiece for any art form. Taste is too subjective they say. THESE PEOPLE ARE WRONG

Ideally this would be superfluous since this is DG and the fucking SITE OWNER IS NAMED AFTER ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS.  But noooooooooooooo. Amazingly, in the year 20 fucking 18, people still need to be convinced on how good this show is. 

This anime proceeds to mindfuck its viewers by delving into the depths of human despair. It will leave you a traumatized huddled mass and make question the meaning of your pathetic existence. But enlightenment ultimately comes through struggle and you will come out of it a better anime fan for having watched this anime. Indeed, your anime taste will be reborn and you'll have new found appreciation for quality anime. Music critics have described the OP as one of the most perfect pop compositions ever composed. The movies are critically acclaimed.

If you a) like anime and b) haven't seen or haven't intended to see this, guess what, you're retarded and probably getting banned. 

Watch

#1  Neon Genesis Evangelion 

[insert picture here]

Edited by Francis J Underwood

Haruki    9172

Haruhi-Suzumiya.jpg

Haruki    9172

Aaron    2023

Gintama has to be here as one of the absolute masterpieces.

Gintama in the anime has just had a timeskip. Normal timeskips in all your shitty animes have a few developments, a few power deviations and a few new powers for each cast member.

However in Gintama:

-Terrorist becomes the prime minister of the state with alias donald trump -> disbands the police force which used to chase him 

-One of the lead merchants in gintama loses all his money because he invested it in cryptocurrency and lost it all

-Main character has a child... PICCOLO STYLE

-Police force become disbanded: half of them bandits, half of them assasins 

etc.etc.

This anime covers everything: politics, evil dictators, good dictators, religion, the underworld, demons, the media, fucking pop idols, robots, an epic samurai plot line, an intergalactic war, tragedies, comedies, prostitution, female enslavement... 

Honestly its just soooo many tiers above every other anime in intellect, in-jokes, plot complexity, heart, attention to detail, humour, action, pacing... 

Other animes do one or maybe two things well but this one just shits on all of them. 

Its a travesty that so many people who watch anime haven't watched it despite its pretty much universal love and praise of anyone who has watched it.

The only big issue the show has is its very weird  start. 

It also has a fucking awesome kick ass film which is again universally praised. I struggle to see what more it can do at this point. Some double episodes of Gintama shit on 24-episode series. 

• Upvote 1

Faint    5841

Sword art online abridged.

This takes everything that was wrong with the original SAO and fixes it, making it into a compelling, honest, realistic and entertaining story. 

I haven't seen relationships done this well in an anime since Evangelion and it actually legitimizes & corrects all of the retarded writing done by the original SAO. In particular the relationship between Kirito and Asuna actually seems legitimate, entertaining and a perfect example of their new character traits interacting with each other spectacularly.

Funny dialogue, well thought out relationships, excellent writing and improvements on the animation (having Yui's sword flicker as it was being hacked into, for example) make it an overall brilliant 12 episodes of anime.

If you hated the original Sword Art Online (as let's be honest, everyone should have...) - watch this. It will make you love this version far far more thank you ever thought would be possible in a sword art online universe.

Episode one here;

Aaron    2023
13 hours ago, Faint said:

Sword art online abridged.

This takes everything that was wrong with the original SAO and fixes it, making it into a compelling, honest, realistic and entertaining story. 

I haven't seen relationships done this well in an anime since Evangelion and it actually legitimizes & corrects all of the retarded writing done by the original SAO. In particular the relationship between Kirito and Asuna actually seems legitimate, entertaining and a perfect example of their new character traits interacting with each other spectacularly.

Funny dialogue, well thought out relationships, excellent writing and improvements on the animation (having Yui's sword flicker as it was being hacked into, for example) make it an overall brilliant 12 episodes of anime.

If you hated the original Sword Art Online (as let's be honest, everyone should have...) - watch this. It will make you love this version far far more thank you ever thought would be possible in a sword art online universe.

Episode one here;

do u need to watch s01/s02 to watch this? 

Faint    5841

@Aaron No - it is a great standalone anime on its own. But it does make constant digs at the original SAO s1 which you'll only get if you watch it ;)

Faint    5841

reminder: sword art online is in general fucking terrible - but most anime fans have put themselves through it because the premise is really fucking good - just awful execution. the abridged series fixes the execution and keeps the quality premise. 

@rei will you watch it already god damn

»Tygo    14119
5 hours ago, Faint said:

@rei will you watch it already god damn

We tried this with one piece.

+rei+    34637

and i eventually watched 12 episodes! 

Faint    5841
14 minutes ago, Tygo said:

We tried this with one piece.

one piece is 87 million episodes

SAO abridged is 13

come on ash you can do this. i promise you that it will make sitting through the original almost seem worthwhile. almost

»Tygo    14119

I love DB abridged and the final part of the last episode is probably going to make me cry so I need to give SAO a try.

Also fucking Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Finale coming soon omfg.

I still haven't done ygo abridged though.

Faint    5841
Just now, Tygo said:

I love DB abridged and the final part of the last episode is probably going to make me cry so I need to give SAO a try.

Also fucking Hellsing Ultimate Abridged Finale coming soon omfg.

I still haven't done ygo abridged though.

this is a significant step up from DBA as SAOA is actually good enough to be considered an actual anime rather than just an entertaining parody

ygo abriged i think just tried too hard

»Tygo    14119

That's what it felt like in the 1st few episodes but I was willing to chalk it up to it being a low budget start.

+rei+    34637

the thing with YGOA is you gotta remember it literally started the genre - same thing with early DBZA, they both find their grooves it just takes time.

Honestly by the android arc DBZA is full on better than canon to me, especially reinserting toriyama's notes about 16 into a flashback and shit

Hellsing Ultimate is still the pinnacle of abridging tho 

I will watch SAO Abridged eventually its just so hard to make me care about SAO to begin with outside of lana rain's hot asuna cosplay and the TWO YEARS OF SEMEN meme 

»Tygo    14119

I avoided it for so long, ate an edible, marathoned everything TFS did, and haven't looked back.

Machinabridged isn't terrible either.

+rei+    34637

mechabridged is meh to me; which sucks because well i mean i kind of dabble in final fantasy 

Faint    5841
4 hours ago, rei said:

the thing with YGOA is you gotta remember it literally started the genre - same thing with early DBZA, they both find their grooves it just takes time.

Honestly by the android arc DBZA is full on better than canon to me, especially reinserting toriyama's notes about 16 into a flashback and shit

Hellsing Ultimate is still the pinnacle of abridging tho 

I will watch SAO Abridged eventually its just so hard to make me care about SAO to begin with outside of lana rain's hot asuna cosplay and the TWO YEARS OF SEMEN meme 

100% agree with the Android arc

Hating sao  gives you even more reason to watch and love the abridged one matey

»Tygo    14119
23 hours ago, rei said:

mechabridged is meh to me; which sucks because well i mean i kind of dabble in final fantasy 

Yeah I hate the overly cartoony faces but the dialogue has it's shining moments. Red XIII.......