rei

persona 5 mafia aftergame

Malcolm's Multi    1784

I think this game completely turned me off of using my next fuck you mafia series, however. Maybe I’ll make a normalish game to host 

• Sad 2

Thoughts 

Overall getting the 20 people to play in a game is an accomplishment in itself so kudo to rei and the section overall on that. It really gave us a chance to see if people's skills improved. 

Game Design and Modding

I won't harp on this too long since rei already mentioned it, but design wise, the game was very town friendly. Also, keeping up the flavor even tho no one read it makes the game better so thank you for that. 

I think the best girl mechanic is very interesting, but I think scum needed something to balance it out. Jazz asked me what I would have done and I told him I probably would have made everyone but scum vanilla unless voted best girl. That gives people an incentive to fight for best girl, doesn't reveal scum doesn't want it, and just overall balances things out. It's a slightly boring answer since VT don't have a ton of incentive to be active, but its what came to mind. 

PSA - If you have information in a no-claim game, don't be a douchebag. 

I get why rei is done with no claiming. Modding it is a lot of work and people just can't seem to understand no-claim means not giving away info that reveals you're role. We had a modkill on JC for softing a role. Slickz got warned for revealing another player's role. Tyranno literally claimed part of his role. 

Stop trying to fucking push the envelope to see how far you can go before the mod kills you. It's no claim for a reason. The info is for your benefit so you can steer town in the right direction WITHOUT REVEALING YOU HAVE PERFECT INFO. The reason its no claim is because claiming wouldn't let him put certain roles into the game because said roles would break the game. Like my god, could you imagine if I lived day 2 and just posted the name of every girl itt and said I think all of the girls are town based on the votes. Honestly, I think most players on DG cannot handle playing like this and games will have to be designed to be full claim from now on, which limits what can be done and forces scum to get good at fake and counterclaiming. 

Using foreign languages - I get that we all have google translate and can figure out what it means, but it makes more work for the mod in these type of games. I don't want police this, but it's something we have to consider a little bit after this since the mod shouldn't have to go through every post in the game and then google translate them to see if youre pulling some shit or not. 

PSA - Toxicity

Before anyone says it, no this isn't only referencing Jazz. Jazz was the worst example of it this game to be sure, but myself, slickz, lfn, hazmah etc . . . all played a role in it (centered around Jazz but still). 

I get this DG and some players should just grow a set and realize its not that serious, but antagonizing players just do antagonize them doesn't help you win the game and it drives people away from the community. As scum (hazmah), you don't want to do this either because as you saw it gets the antagonized player town read. Moreover, without fail, every single time I see one of these toxic fights break out, I don't want to continue to play because its uncomfortable to deal with that. 

Fwiw, I literally asked rei before the game to warn and threaten to kill ppl for toxicity. 

People's Play and The Game itself

1: Silver - I thought he was super apparent town the moment he went after Gaia hard. As I explained itt, going after Gaia is a great way to get yourself killed and there;s no way Silver does that as scum. 

2: TheGoldenTyranno - The modkill was probably a little harsh, but given how my role turned out, it's fine. Tyranno - stop fucking defending people's alignments who you aren't sure on. As town, you want a real to kill the person, not a reason to keep them slive. My defense of Silver was directly related to my desire to lynch Gaia because I thought his reasons for lynching Silver were trash and reasoning behind reads weren't that great.  As hilarious as my town read on you was, I shouldnt have to be put in that position to make that call. You can make yourself obv town without that. 

3: Faint- Probably the first time in awhile where you weren't an easy town read for me on d1. Idk if that was intentional or the bigger game threw you off. 

4: Wunterslaus - If you don't believe that someone is going to kill you, you don't try, hence why I made sure you believed that I would end you (and if you didn't try, believe me I would have gotten town to lynch you for it). Your reads were good so try. That's effort, that's not lack of ability. 

5: Malcolm - Worst thing you could have done was outed Mascis as neutral and then asking me about it. I was never letting him die after that. iThe vote on Silver was a really good opportunity for you and I think you should have rammed it down town's throat. Like you said in the QT, the Gaia lynch was the most +EV lynch for scum ever. In hindsight, pointing out Mascis was a perfect info slip that everyone missed. 

6: Sophocles - I made my thoughts known on you in dead chat. While your play with the vote counts was obv and got called out, I didn't think you were the best lynch by far on most dates. I think you had it right in the QT where town just decided to kill you and wouldn't move off it. 

7: Jazz - If you get mad, walk the fuck away. Pm rei for a sub. DO LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE THAN WHAT YOU DID. Also, you have to learn to watch the thread and post with an objective. I shouldn't have to control you itt. We don't need you every damn thought on every post. Seriously look at the dead qt and it was almost unanimous that after you got the TR from a player, they ignored your posts completely.  Like honestly, give yourself a self-imposed posting restriction of X posts per page. It will make you a better player. 

8: BuildtheWalia - People townreading you truly disgusted me. I feel like you got the reverse treatment of Soph. Ppl townread you over nothing and then just never re-evaluated.  For everyone else, if you can't explain what someone's agenda is or why you are townreading them, you need to re-evaluate. Asking questions is something any player can do and I guarantee if I did it without taking a stance on anything, I'd be lynched for it. Hold town to a higher standard ppl. 

9: Slickz - Probably town's MVP in all honestly. Was right and kept the schedule. 

10: Confuse rei - I'm sorry about the timing of my post, but I had work. If I posted when you were on or you posted more than one post before like 6-8 hrs left on d1, you probably don't die, but realize that 8 people killed you and only 1 was scum. 

11: LFN - Really good game. Right behind Slickz for MVP for me. 

12: PSK - THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY TOWN AND GET YOURSELF TOWNREAD PPL. TAKE NOTES. Psk didn't have to post much, but he offered unique insight to certain situations, was unafraid to comment on big name players (Gaia), and it was clear what his agenda was with each post. This was easiest townread of the game. I thought the shot on Brandis was shit, but I get why PSK made it and ultimately it kept town on schedule so no harm no foul. 

15: haz - Really underrated player from reading the QT. His scum game will get better but he was an easy tr on d1 and gave more content than most players. 

16: JC - Punted d1 and got better as the days went along so that's fair. 

17: The Antagonist - I didn't have any problems with your posting style or the content therein. I think you just went contrarian with a few things and it was hard to get a read on you. Gaia probably had the best read in that something about your posts struck him as town,

18: Brandis72 - Not enough to really talk about it. Getting killed on night 1 after a very empty d1. 

19: Solstice - Decent recovery day 2, but same deal with Jazz. Post with an objective. No one wants a stream of conciousness

20: ZeroPassion - Youre usually pretty good from what I remember and I think you kind of knew you were trading yourself for Gaia with that vote. That's a trade I am okay with. Good job putting the team on your back with that one. 

20: Mascis - The "no chance we are the same alignment" comment is the shit I'm talking about with pushing the envelope. Don't be a d-bag, and don't do it. Three factions left that just ambiguous enough to not be construed as a claim, but the mod shouldn't have to make that decision especially when it means potentially removing a faction from the game. 

• Thanks 4

Malcolm's Multi    1784

So? I would still point him out. It stopped the lynch of mascis and we eventually moved on to silver and crei

hard to call that not worth

1 minute ago, Malcolm's Multi said:

Also, zp wasn’t traded for shit. He quite literally didn’t play the game

ZP's vote to keep Gaia in range of being lynched probably got him lynched. Otherwise, Silvdr probably goes up 6-3 and he dies. 

+Sophocles    3067

Re: design, I think I've said this before in another game but adding a mechanic that town is more informed about than scum is makes it pro-town and should be incorporated when balancing the game.`

We're sitting in the dark for most of the early parts of the game unsure of the impact of the mechanic, whether we can somewhat safely claim to have a use for it (if there's even non-girl characters in town) and if it's worth sticking our neck out trying to control the votes on that. Town has a (limited) idea about those powers based on their role PM, scum had essentially no clue.

Those kinds of mechanics are ideally somewhat public so it doesn't impact balance too much but more importantly, so everyone is more involved in it. For scum it was just the safest bet to interact minimally with it, which in turn makes the mechanic less interesting.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34627

if one thing i hope i tried to convey to all of you is that persona 5 is amazing and if you have a ps3 or ps4 you should absolutely play it 

+rei+    34627

(also the last non-licensed ps3 game to be released hell of a way to close the system out) 

slickz    4293
1 hour ago, Malcolm's Multi said:

extremely frustrating game. Extremely frustrating scum team except my bb soph. Aside from the game being impossible to win, I thoroughly enjoyed many people in town losing their minds in anger. Stefanos dying day one was great

I appreciate anyone hosting and trying to run things because it’s a lot of work modding a role madness game. Thanks ash for trying your best. Lots of lessons learned no doubt 

This about sums it up in a nutshell. it was cool playing with all the OG’s. 

Also, I’m glad rei invited me back to play and there were genuine moments of hilarity. 

no hard feelings for anyone

• Upvote 3
  • Pride 1

»JC.    4967

i had a good time but the game also reminded me of the reasons i stopped playing as often in the first place

it is nice interacting with everyone though

• Upvote 1
  • Pride 1

Jazz    5318
4 hours ago, slickz said:

LVP Jazz

Suck my dick

slickz    4293
11 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Suck my dick

it’s true tho

imagine if someone pulled what you pulled in a game you were hosting

Jazz    5318
18 minutes ago, slickz said:

it’s true tho

imagine if someone pulled what you pulled in a game you were hosting

You were part of the problem. Yes I did something to purposely harm my faction but consider how I was driven to that point in the first place. Being repeatedly called bad and told that I can’t read when all I’m trying to do is put effort into the game and contribute, is not cool.

• Haha 1

+rei+    34627

man dont fight

and def dont try and justifystuff with 'being pushed' - but to be fair i should have been moderating harder and shut that shit down 

Jazz    5318
1 minute ago, rei said:

man dont fight

and def dont try and justifystuff with 'being pushed' - but to be fair i should have been moderating harder and shut that shit down 

I’m not justifying shit. Slicks just a shit starter.

Jazz    5318

Like good for you, Slick, you were right on soph. But why the fuck does that matter? You didn’t have to shit on me because I was wrong on one player and because I had a different point of view than you in a game.

Did I shit on everyone  who town read hazmah? Fuck no. I understand that I’m playing with other humans.

You don’t have any right to tell me to “fuck off even more” in dead chat because I was wrong on someone’s alignment in a damn mafia game. Get off your high horse, you pompous ass.

LFN    3239

Re: jazz I knew you were town but couldn't risk saying anything more specific like oh JC confirmed me as town and then got modkilled, in case I would get modkilled myself

But then faint pointed it out and he lived so oops

I scanned faint the night I was voted best girl fwiw but I didn't want to publicly say I trust him in hopes he'd stay alive for longer 

Also who was gardener? You da real mvp

»JC.    4967

i didnt even confirm lfn because i had 0 info :^)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rei said:

if one thing i hope i tried to convey to all of you is that persona 5 is amazing and if you have a ps3 or ps4 you should absolutely play it 

Am definitely gonna try it if you hace time. Havent touched the series yet so lmk whats worth it and what isnt

Solstice    385

I was doctor (gardener) who got to give away what essentially amounted to a 1 use bulletproof vest if I was voted best girl.  N1 I debated between healing Francis (leading town) PSK (townread enough to be voted best girl) and Malcolm (almost always killed N1 if town).  I ended up going with PSK as I wasn’t sure about Malcolm’s alignment and Francis had implied he wasn’t a girl role so I thought that might help him live longer.  Apologies to Francis for not saving him; I should have known better than to trust dgz wouldn’t eliminate him N1 on his first time back.

I knew PSK would be the kill N2 but as I had healed him the previous night and was unable to win best girl to give him bulletproof there wasn’t much I could do about it other than try to coax potential jailors/watchers to him to make him seem less desirable to scum.  I ended up healing slick for being the next most townread.  N3 I healed lfn for the same reason but faint prevented all kills so I got to heal lfn again N4 for the save.  N5 I went with faint as his best girl power confirmed him town.

Unfortunately my play this game was pretty bad as it took me until day 3 to realize that people with strong opinions on someone’s alignment that they weren’t backing up with reasons was actually because they had a scan they couldn’t claim and not because they were scum.  (I thought at least one of the scan powers had to be scum rolecop as I didn’t believe town could have that many).  Once I realized the deal with slick and lfn was something akin to a cop check or masons and faint’s best girl power confirmed him I basically just played follow the leader on those three.  FWIW the reason I kept asking about their reasoning anyway was not because I doubted them, but because I was desperate to hit quota somehow and the thread was stagnant since everyone agreed on the lynch.  I also didn’t immediately vote faint best girl again as I thought for sure that power would be one use and have no level up; so I thought it would be wasted there aside from keeping it off scum.

I agree that the game was horribly townsided though and I sympathize with scum for it having had the same issue as scum in DND mafia.  Town could afford way too many mislynches before mlyo, best girl powers were OP, and scum had no decent powers of their own and no best girl powers to boot.  I also sympathize with soph for being tunneled due to votecounts as that was a very pro town thing to do since the host couldn’t keep up with it; and I basically did the same thing of using it to hit quota later without being called out once.  I’m also sorry ZP flaked as that made you basically play a man down.

I don’t think I’m ready for another game this big as it’s way too much to sift through and I don’t have the time to go over everything in detail.  I was basically useless to my faction outside of the lfn save, and the game was pro town enough that it wasn’t even really needed.  Apologies for my godawful performance, I think I’ll give you all a break from it for awhile and sit the next one out.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Solstice said:

I was doctor (gardener) who got to give away what essentially amounted to a 1 use bulletproof vest if I was voted best girl.  N1 I debated between healing Francis (leading town) PSK (townread enough to be voted best girl) and Malcolm (almost always killed N1 if town).  I ended up going with PSK as I wasn’t sure about Malcolm’s alignment and Francis had implied he wasn’t a girl role so I thought that might help him live longer.  Apologies to Francis for not saving him; I should have known better than to trust dgz wouldn’t eliminate him N1 on his first time back.

I knew PSK would be the kill N2 but as I had healed him the previous night and was unable to win best girl to give him bulletproof there wasn’t much I could do about it other than try to coax potential jailors/watchers to him to make him seem less desirable to scum.  I ended up healing slick for being the next most townread.  N3 I healed lfn for the same reason but faint prevented all kills so I got to heal lfn again N4 for the save.  N5 I went with faint as his best girl power confirmed him town.

Unfortunately my play this game was pretty bad as it took me until day 3 to realize that people with strong, but unreasoned opinions on someone’s alignment likely had a scan or picked a softed scan as opposed to being scum(I thought at least one of the scan powers had to be scum rolecop as I didn’t believe town could have that many).  Once I realized that I just played follow the leader on those LFN Slickz and Whoever.  I kept asking about their reasoning because I was desperate to hit quota with the thread stagnant because everyone agreed on the lynch.  I also didn’t immediately vote faint best girl again as I thought for sure that power would be one use and have no level up; so I thought it would be wasted there aside from keeping it off scum.

I agree that the game was horribly townsided. I also sympathize with soph for being tunneled due to votecounts as that was a very pro town thing to do since the host couldn’t keep up with it; and I basically did the same thing of using it to hit quota later without being called out once.  I’m also sorry ZP flaked as that made you basically play a man down.

I don’t think I’m ready for another game this big as it’s way too much to sift through and I don’t have the time to go over everything in detail.  I was basically useless to my faction outside of the lfn save, and the game was pro town enough that it wasn’t even really needed.  Apologies for my godawful performance, I think I’ll give you all a break from it for awhile and sit the next one out.

You made the right choice with the N1 heal. Always heal the easy town read who has a power. 

Soph didnt get tunneled due to vote counts (if that were the case Jazz would have been tunneled too). He got tunneled for vote counts with weak play overall. Only reason Jazz didnt get the same read was he went full on Jazz. 

This is the exact type of thing we want to discourage. You had a shit game. So what? Get over it, it's not a big deal. You have some constructive criticism from post game (which is really what post game is for). Take it and apply it. 

DG makes too much of trust list = scum, but there is something to that read. A player who feels like they have to comment on everyone typically doesn't take a hard stance on anyone. PSK, myself, and Slickz didnt out reads on the entire game. We outed reads and avenues we thought town should be pursuing. We were all easily town read because town knew exactly where we stood, what are agendas were, and why we had those agendas. Regardless of whether we agreed with each other, we at least made it very clear why we had the reads we did which made us transparent. Adjust your posting accordingly. 

I bolded the parts of your post that were necessary. If you remove most of the non-bolded the post much more clear and quickly conveys the most important information you want us to know. Take that approach to the trust lists (I am null on X is useless. If you are null on them, don't even mention them unless you are trying to get them killed) and longer posts you make. 

Edited by Francis J Underwood
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1