rei

persona 5 mafia aftergame

Something for several players because I see it a lot. The thread isn't a place to think out loud, do a brain dump, or otherwise clutter. It is the one area in the game where you can communicate and coordinate with your faction if you are town. To do so, you have to try and be clear and concise. It's already been well-established how often big posts get skimmed through and ignored by other players. As a town player, why are you wasting your time when you know that is going to happen? 95% of the time, you can convey what's important without a giant wall of text or multiple posts in a row. 

[sample post]

I think X is town/scum/neutral for three reasons. 

Reason 1: X voted brought the Gaia lynch within one vote of tying it between Gaia and Silver knowing that Y would vote Gaia over Silver. Killing Gaia aligns with a scum agenda so therefore this vote makes X scummy because it is aligned with a scum agenda. 

Reason 2: This post by X is also scummy because . . . 

Reason 3: Finally, X only avoided participating during the day as his posts outside the vote were mostly filled. See here (spoiler tag and quote the posts)

For these reasons, I believe X is scum.

[sample post] 

If the thread weren't long I would probably go back and pick out some posts that followed this formula, but this tells you exactly where I stand on X and why. Regardless of whether you agree or not, you will townread me because I'm transparent and am willing to stick my neck out on a position. More importantly, it shows I am trying to figure out the game. 

»JC.    4973

It's possible the 'stream of consciousness' posting has developed in part because players feel townies play more loosely and scum is unlikely to say the first things that come to mind (e.g. afraid to contradict themselves).

The other half is pure spam, which is the type of stuff I'll be honest and say I contribute to. Mafia is a social game so I use the thread as a way to talk about anime with PSK or post memes. kill me and other players that do this. By posting, the game becomes harder to read and relevant discussion points become harder to find. PSK demonstrated this perfectly the game rei poisoned him. Very few players will read and reread the thread, so posting like this allows the players doing it to gain control of the information flow and direct the game.

»JC.    4973

If you look at games I'm in a lot of them follow a pattern:

Day 1: I post a lot and get scum read for feigning activity because I don't give many reads.

Day 2: I post a lot based on the new information. People suspect me and continue to say I have made no real posts.

Day 3: With the smaller game size my posting becomes more focused and everyone thinks I'm town.

Avoid the day one part entirely. Everybody that has played several games on the site has witnessed somebody get scum read for making a joke in the first couple of pages. Keep in mind these reads are weak and meant to get the game rolling.

If you avoid the day one part, you can get people to actually read your posts. When you make clean posts that assert your positions, you get town read, just as Francis was saying above.

»JC.    4973

One last thing to keep in mind is that you are playing with other real human beings. Most people use this when talking about being nice to each other, but it goes past that.

Everyone wants different things from you. You'll notice I mentioned "special gifts" a few times in the thread:

- I talked to Jazz about Jazz's reads because he plays the game by talking to people.

- I got PSK to give me specific players to talk about, because he is trying to draw connections and see that I am actually trying to solve the game.

- I posted smaller later on because Slickz does not enjoy reading paragraphs of text. Additionally, I believe I clearly communicated to him that I was trusting his LFN read, and he signalled back to me that he saw that by responding to my posts. He can tell you if it went down differently, but when he did not die during the night I think that helped him read me as town.

I'm interested in how much this kind of thinking affected the reads people had of me.

+rei+    34655

Solstice you played well you just had kinda shit luck lol

+rei+    34655
8 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Am definitely gonna try it if you hace time. Havent touched the series yet so lmk whats worth it and what isnt

Okay so all the games are basically unrelated to each other (like there are little tiny references you dont need like posters of a pop star from P4 in P5);  I would describe P5 as both the best and the most accessable, while P4 and P3 are a little more flawed but good if you really liked P5 to the point you could live without a few of its niceties and upgrades that streamlined their system and made dungeons actually have puzzles and depth (in p3 and p4 the dungeons are by and large randomly generated) 

P1 is hard and meh and datred, p2 has two games both of which have a lot of depth and a lot of fuck you 'we've been making RPGs since 1987 we have no sympathy for killing you over and over again for not grinding a lot' and a lot of 'man this interface feels old... for 1999' 

Wunterslaus    225
15 hours ago, Faint said:

So knowing you this isn't sarcastic

Wunter was TERRIBLE this game lol

I had practically the same agenda as you, wasn't as active but had good reads. Didn't want the best girl to feed my ego or w/e you said, but wanted it for confirming a townie + protecting that townie. In hindsight that didn't matter but it's not like I made terrible misplays this game

+rei+    34655

Confirming one town in a non claiming game vs trying to stop all nightkil is kinda a misplay 

• Thanks 1

Jazz    5327
8 hours ago, JC. said:

I'm interested in how much this kind of thinking affected the reads people had of me.

My read was mostly affected by my initial impression from your day 1. You began posting with 3/4 of the day gone by, voted an obvious town leader in Francis, then bandwagoned townish silver.

Furthermore other strong towns scum read you (crei, francis, psk), this also made me wary. Psk even voted you on day 2.

It took me most of day 2 to see that you were hunting actual scum, like malcolm. By the post when you pointed out how haz reminded you of how you used to play scum, I figured you were town.

Your slow start (tm) definitely hurt. I know you were acting a bit shady to protect an ability but I believe the strongest ability one can have in any mafia game is the ability to remove oneself from the mislynch pool by projecting town.

• Upvote 1

Faint    5854
49 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Your slow start (tm) definitely hurt. I know you were acting a bit shady to protect an ability but I believe the strongest ability one can have in any mafia game is the ability to remove oneself from the mislynch pool by projecting town.

or a best girl ability to block all lynches alongside having cop scans :cool:

• Pride 2

»JC.    4973

I'm just glad I didn't miss day one completely and get modkilled. Sometimes you just don't have the reads or time to be hard town read, but you don't have to be town to survive a day, you just have to not be the hardest scum read.

There's only one lynch per day and I knew I could come back from it because it happens all the time. Francis taught me pretty early on that you need to step up and fight when people are on you. ZeroPassion died for a reason.

Faint    5854
12 minutes ago, JC. said:

Francis taught me pretty early on that you need to step up and fight when people are on you. ZeroPassion died for a reason.

yeah i got this as well from jazz & psk lynching me d1 over and over and over whenever i was timid :') haha

despite this psk still always scumreads me regardless of how i play the game :')

»PSK    4447
6 minutes ago, Faint said:

yeah i got this as well from jazz & psk lynching me d1 over and over and over whenever i was timid :') haha

despite this psk still always scumreads me regardless of how i play the game :')

just stop playing like scum smh 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

+rei+    34655

Acting like faint is ever not town 

• Upvote 3

BuildTheWalia    249
24 minutes ago, rei said:

Acting like faint is ever not town 

Except for that one time...

»PSK    4447
18 minutes ago, BuildTheWalia said:

Except for that one time...

AND I GOT HIM THAT ONE TIME! 

outplayed imo tbh imo 

• Upvote 3

Faint    5854

The exception that proves the rule

I am always* town

*(rogue 1 changes me)

+Silver    1008
14 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Something for several players because I see it a lot. The thread isn't a place to think out loud, do a brain dump, or otherwise clutter. It is the one area in the game where you can communicate and coordinate with your faction if you are town. To do so, you have to try and be clear and concise. It's already been well-established how often big posts get skimmed through and ignored by other players. As a town player, why are you wasting your time when you know that is going to happen? 95% of the time, you can convey what's important without a giant wall of text or multiple posts in a row. 

[sample post]

I think X is town/scum/neutral for three reasons. 

Reason 1: X voted brought the Gaia lynch within one vote of tying it between Gaia and Silver knowing that Y would vote Gaia over Silver. Killing Gaia aligns with a scum agenda so therefore this vote makes X scummy because it is aligned with a scum agenda. 

Reason 2: This post by X is also scummy because . . . 

Reason 3: Finally, X only avoided participating during the day as his posts outside the vote were mostly filled. See here (spoiler tag and quote the posts)

For these reasons, I believe X is scum.

[sample post] 

If the thread weren't long I would probably go back and pick out some posts that followed this formula, but this tells you exactly where I stand on X and why. Regardless of whether you agree or not, you will townread me because I'm transparent and am willing to stick my neck out on a position. More importantly, it shows I am trying to figure out the game. 

didnt read this, just skimmed

• Upvote 3

confuse rei    5608

I like how Underwood has tried to logically explain my kill like forty times when the only thing that is to be said is 'dgz town can't read for shit' and move on

Malcolm played one of his better games as scum and people( = same like three people) still suspected him because they suspect him every game

Less drama more thinking

You punk ass bitches

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, confuse rei said:

I like how Underwood has tried to logically explain my kill like forty times when the only thing that is to be said is 'dgz town can't read for shit' and move on

Malcolm played one of his better games as scum and people( = same like three people) still suspected him because they suspect him every game

Less drama more thinking

You punk ass bitches

Not sure if this is a joke, but if it's not,  almost half of town (7/16) (all but one town) wanted to kill you.

I wasn't the only one that fos'd you (slickz, psk, silver all did too). Despite my suspicions, I even said killing you was minus EV. However, silver projected much harder town than you and there was 0 chance I was killing him over you. I was willing to kill other people, but if it was between you and him, you were dying. 

You had an off game, get over it.

Edited by Francis J Underwood

confuse rei    5608

My game was fine. You slick and jazz suspect better players every single game, it has nothing to do with how we play but with how you perceive reality. Go back to every single game we've played and find one day 1 where you don't suspect me/Malcolm/rei . Either everyone sucks or...?

Plus going 'oh it's minus ev but I'm still going for it!' Is still going for it lol, we have a name for shit' like that and it's called distancing. Stop excusing your lack of logic and take the " I can't let myself get outplayed therefore Gaia is scum" glasses off.

My lunch was baseless, you just had three people who would always go for me in every game if they are town, forced silver and a scum to boot. You made a huge post that no one could respond at the time of you posting it, formed a train with these people, and then people who are easily influenced (tyranno, Brandis) jumped on the momentum because that's how mafia works when there is only one side to an argument. 

Under those circumstances I can kill ANY person in ANY game.

That is how I died and not because of an "off game"

Faint    5854
2 minutes ago, confuse rei said:

My game was fine. You slick and jazz suspect better players every single game, it has nothing to do with how we play but with how you perceive reality. Go back to every single game we've played and find one day 1 where you don't suspect me/Malcolm/rei . Either everyone sucks or...?

Plus going 'oh it's minus ev but I'm still going for it!' Is still going for it lol, we have a name for shit' like that and it's called distancing. Stop excusing your lack of logic and take the " I can't let myself get outplayed therefore Gaia is scum" glasses off.

My lunch was baseless, you just had three people who would always go for me in every game if they are town, forced silver and a scum to boot. You made a huge post that no one could respond at the time of you posting it, formed a train with these people, and then people who are easily influenced (tyranno, Brandis) jumped on the momentum because that's how mafia works when there is only one side to an argument. 

Under those circumstances I can kill ANY person in ANY game.

yeah, that lunch fucking sucked

Jazz    5327
23 minutes ago, confuse rei said:

I'll admit I made a mistake. I wasn't sure on your alignment (had you as like 50/50) and I should have let it sit for a phase. From my perspective, you died from a combination of group think and defending mascis. I actually think it was fine, just unfortunate. I hope there's no hard feelings. The time zone thing sucks but it's part of the game--I don't think it's fair to say we should never lynch someone who is AFK, especially in a no claim game. Days shouldn't be scheduled to end that late for europeans anyway--it's a clear disadvantage.

Malcolm rightly deserved suspicion this game for liberally tossing shade, pegging mascis as neutral, and dodging questions. I'm not sure how you ever had him as solid town.

If the "mafia gods" don't want to be suspected they can project town better. I suspect Malcolm most games because he plays scummy most games. I suspect you most games because your scum game is almost perfect, and the difference between it and your town game is very subtle. What am I supposed to do about that, huh?

In the future, I'll give additional consideration to handing out day passes (I actually gave one to JC this game), but I still think it's correct to vocally suspect good players when they're not making sense (your mascis defense) or not being fully transparent (malcolm's play).

• Upvote 1

Malcolm's Multi    1790

I barely dodged your terrible questions. I would point out mascis as town or scum. I’m sorry I think on a much higher plane

Paranoid players suspect me in every single game I play and it is always the same ones that do it. This happens to ash and it happens to stefanos as well. I don’t have the luxury of being townread for playing like a psychotic moron like some players do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1