Jump to content
Aaron

VR Gaming

Recommended Posts

Aaron    2022

Does anyone here play VR? 

 

I bought a PSVR on a whim, and its blown me away. To the extent I'm buying in the next 2 months:

 

1. PS4 Pro

2. Oculus Rift

3. GTX 2080 to power the rift

 

Its just so god damn incredible. I played superhot today and one part of the game involves walking off the edge of a building. I was FUCKING TERRIFIED. 

 

My parents have tried it too and LOVED it which was surprising. 

 

Any thoughts or VR experiences? 

If anyone here hasn't check it out and has a PS4, give it a chance! Its immersion is on a different level. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
slickz    4304

I’d buy if I could afford/there was a must own title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10210
7 hours ago, slickz said:

I’d buy if I could afford/there was a must own title

 

Resident Evil is a must own title arguably, I tried it with VR once and put it right back down holy shit it's that scary.  Also if you like driving or flying planes then you VR.  

 

VR is totally worth but make sure you get a headset like the Vive Pro or the Samsung headset that has the new screens with the really high resolution, the low resolution screens of the base oculus and PSVR are actually shit compared to the new ones.  Obligatory get the biggest GPU you can find as well. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022
8 hours ago, Urthor said:

 

Resident Evil is a must own title arguably, I tried it with VR once and put it right back down holy shit it's that scary.  Also if you like driving or flying planes then you VR.  

 

VR is totally worth but make sure you get a headset like the Vive Pro or the Samsung headset that has the new screens with the really high resolution, the low resolution screens of the base oculus and PSVR are actually shit compared to the new ones.  Obligatory get the biggest GPU you can find as well. 

 

 

 

 

Samsung in/out tracking looks not good enough for gaming.  Would rather get an Oculus Rift and actually be able to play all the good VR games. Also the Rift's controller is way superior.

 

I think both Samsung and Pimax have the best/more reasonably priced display tech but don't cater to the gaming side of things. I'd take superior motion tracking, ability to turn head, and track from behind, being able to play all the VR titles on PC without too many issues and better controllers over the higher resolution screens. 

 

I can't see the Vive Pro being anything more than a waste of money. 399£ for the rift, £499 for the vive or a whopping £1.2k for the Vive Pro... and its not even wireless.

 

Also have you actually used the Vive Pro? I've heard that the different isn't all that.

Also as far as I'm aware, the rift's screen is slightly superior to the PSVR. 

 

 

 

 

I wish the Pimax 8k, and valve VR knuckles were out. I'd easily buy those two and find a cheap second hand vive light station. However they seem to just be TBA. 

I know the rift's very closed eco system and lack of upgradability is a pain in the ass but their software and controllers just seem to be one gen ahead of everyone else. 

 

 

I totally agree with you though on the screen resolution being important but I'm not sure if I can justify sacrificing exclusive games, tracking and control scheme for a resolution bump.

 

If you have experience with VR.... please lemme know ur advice. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022

Also today I've played Batman VR and oh my lord, it was amazing. Going down the batcave was SURREAL. 

I showed it to my dad who took on the role of Batman almost instantly. My mum was wowed by it. My sister legit curled up in a ball during the opening scene of the parents getting robbed as she was so scared. She then walked around the mansion as far as the wire + wall would let her before being reminded shes in a game. 

 

What was key is they all had completely different experiences. My dad was able to teleport to different locations in the mansion, my mum opened the piano without any prompts, whilst my sister was mesmerised by a photo of bruce's mum and dad. 

 

I also played Fruit Ninja which was infinitely more fun than the phone version (obviously), it'll be a nice fun shit game to show people but thats about it. 

 

Superhot VR I completed today and it was AMAZING. Legit one of my top games ever played. 

 

I played about 5 minutes of resident evil and the locomotion will get a while to get used to but just the opening tutorial of me being in a room with blood splatters was creepy AF. I could tell by the opening its going to be PHENOMENAL. 

 

 

 

 

The resolution could be much improved but not an issue.. I hope the Rift/Vive is a bit of an upgrade with super sampling over the PSVR. The Samsung Odyssey is not readily available and exclusives like Lone echo are the whole point I want to move to PC [yes i know about revive but i also know about how junky it can be to get shit started]. 

 

 

 

 

Honestly even in its primitive first gen form, I just can't see how people can downplay VR. It is simply WAY better than 2D gaming in nearly every single aspect. The immersion scale is OFF the charts and taking a graphical hit is well worth it. I would easily reccomend it to anyone. Its a bit like the Nintendo Switch in that the gaming experiences aren't as expansive but they are far far far more magical. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, BuildTheWalia said:

Dude can you hook me up

 

lol they are a rip off right.

 

I think my spending spree in the next 2 months is going to include:

 

1. Dolby atmos upfiring speakers

2. PS4 Pro (5.05 for pirating, otherwise I might just stick to my OG PS4 and wait til Black Friday for a deal on one with games] 

3. 8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX 2080 rig [I am very tempted to get the Ti but will await benchmarks] 

4. Oculus Rift 

 

I think I can claim back 20% tax on 1, 3 ... and maybe 4. 

 

VR gaming is just so fucking fun. I just hope there is enough games coming out to satiate me. I've heard a game beatsaber burns more calories than a treadmill on incline so instead of buying a treadmill for my house, I'm using it as an excuse to buy the Rift. 

Edited by Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10210

Everyone I've talked to says the new screens are amazing because the increase in resolution is a huge benefit to actually using the headset. Unfortunately nobody has ever demo'd the Vive Pro so I've never seen one in the wild, but I'm basing it on the people I talk to in tech who've actually used one and my own experience in VR, where "seeing" the pixels really annoys me and causes eyestrain.

 

I mean considering you have invested in the PSPro+PSVR combo for $$$$ AND want to make the jump to PC VR for even more $$$$, it seems extremely unusual to make the incredible investment in the GTX 2080, 8700k and all that, and feel like investing in the Vive Pro is somehow not worth it because value for money. If you were thinking about value for money you would definitely be approaching your "spending spree" entirely differently, because the single most important feature in VR is absolutely resolution to help the screen-door effect which is hugely predominant atm.

 

Actually name your budget THEN think about your purchases, because upgrading to an 8700k for VR makes no sense since almost no games are CPU bottlenecked atm so you can start saving money right there.

 

It'd be far smarter to keep your current CPU and maybe upgrade the GPU depending on benchmarks, then make the decision on whether to upgrade to Vive Pro, Odyssey, Vive, or Oculus based on your remaining budget.

 

My personal take however would be to get the base Vive above the Oculus because then you get to play with room scale at least, room scale VR is 110% the bomb when I tried it at a demo day, but I would rather get the Odyssey and tech support the motion tracking issues for a budget Vive Pro personally because of budget.

 

Also you can apparently get a wireless Vive Pro working https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/21/htc-announces-a-wireless-adapter-for-the-vive-headset/ but they put you under the pump for money by charging you $60 for an extra adopter on top of the $299 for Wireless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Urthor said:

Everyone I've talked to says the new screens are amazing because the increase in resolution is a huge benefit to actually using the headset. Unfortunately nobody has ever demo'd the Vive Pro so I've never seen one in the wild, but I'm basing it on the people I talk to in tech who've actually used one and my own experience in VR, where "seeing" the pixels really annoys me and causes eyestrain.

 

I mean considering you have invested in the PSPro+PSVR combo for $$$$ AND want to make the jump to PC VR for even more $$$$, it seems extremely unusual to make the incredible investment in the GTX 2080, 8700k and all that, and feel like investing in the Vive Pro is somehow not worth it because value for money. If you were thinking about value for money you would definitely be approaching your "spending spree" entirely differently, because the single most important feature in VR is absolutely resolution to help the screen-door effect which is hugely predominant atm.

 

Actually name your budget THEN think about your purchases, because upgrading to an 8700k for VR makes no sense since almost no games are CPU bottlenecked atm so you can start saving money right there.

 

It'd be far smarter to keep your current CPU and maybe upgrade the GPU depending on benchmarks, then make the decision on whether to upgrade to Vive Pro, Odyssey, Vive, or Oculus based on your remaining budget.

 

My personal take however would be to get the base Vive above the Oculus because then you get to play with room scale at least, room scale VR is 110% the bomb when I tried it at a demo day, but I would rather get the Odyssey and tech support the motion tracking issues for a budget Vive Pro personally because of budget.

 

Also you can apparently get a wireless Vive Pro working https://techcrunch.com/2018/08/21/htc-announces-a-wireless-adapter-for-the-vive-headset/ but they put you under the pump for money by charging you $60 for an extra adopter on top of the $299 for Wireless. 

 

 

I think you're right in regards to PC. I'll watch for benches of the 2080/ti then make a decision based on that. I might then wait till November for Intel's new release then upgrade the rest of my rig IF I'm being bottlenecked significantly by my processor/RAM. The only reason I'm upgrading is because my PC is old AF (4670k/GTX 670/8GB RAM) I'm not the kind of person to upgrade every year or two, but I've deciced when I do upgrade, I want to do it properly so it lasts a little while. However with Nvidia and AMD likely releasing 7nm cards next year or within 18 months, I am wary .. 

 

 

 

 

I've only read online but the increase in resolution seemed margical. Line tech tips mentioned this. For more than double the price, it seems a bit nasty. 

I think investing in a gaming PC which can do 2D, VR and video edit means i can justify the investment more than vive pro tbh lol. 

 

I cant realistically justify the odyssey as tracking/controllers is sooooo important. A higher resolution does not make sense if the controllers + tracking suck. There is no "tech support" tracking issues, its an inherent limitation of the in-out tracking technology. I did think about it as I love that its not got a tonne of wires. 

 

Yup again, Wireless is cool but the price becomes astronomical. I have money sure, but I don't just like to throw it away so easily. I'd rather try a pulley system from the ceiling and see how I get on for £20. 

 

 

Vive 499

Or VIVE pro 1100

Deluxe Audio strap 99

Knuckles 199

Wireless Adaptor 299

 

vs. Rift 399

Extra sensor 50

 

 

 

 

As far as I know Room scale can be played on the Oculus using a third sensor. Room scale used to be confined to just the vive but not anymore. 

I'm going to ask on a VR gaming subreddit about room-scale with the rift vs the vive. I know 1-2 years ago, the state of VR was different and I'm not sure if people are spreading old misinformation. Nowadays from what I know both do room scale with the VIve being way better for bigger playspaces [and their lightbox 2.0s will be insane.] 

I'll confirm this as if only the Vive does room scale, its an obvious choice but everyone is telling me the rift does it really well. Those touch controllers look beautiful too. 

Edited by Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10210

4670k is a sick CPU and shouldn't bottleneck you, I still use a 2600 and I am GPU bottlenecked almost all the time. VR especially is 100% GPU bottlenecked.  

 

You're entirely right about the 7nm cards it is a huge ask to upgrade now, although tbh if you have a 670 I would advocate the upgrade NOW and not wait 18 months because 670 lul, just wait for benchmarks because a budget 1080ti 2nd hand for example might easily outperform a 2080 in price/performance.  

 

Vive forward compatibility with Lightboxes 2.0 seems very important IMO, and also just room scale forward compatibility in general.  

 

I mean ask other sources about the issues definitely, never heard about the tracking issue because never had a demo of an Odyssey so you could be on to something, but all the VR nerds I've ever talked to really do say resolution is a big thing.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022
10 minutes ago, Urthor said:

4670k is a sick CPU and shouldn't bottleneck you, I still use a 2600 and I am GPU bottlenecked almost all the time. VR especially is 100% GPU bottlenecked.  

 

You're entirely right about the 7nm cards it is a huge ask to upgrade now, although tbh if you have a 670 I would advocate the upgrade NOW and not wait 18 months because 670 lul, just wait for benchmarks because a budget 1080ti 2nd hand for example might easily outperform a 2080 in price/performance.  

 

Vive forward compatibility with Lightboxes 2.0 seems very important IMO, and also just room scale forward compatibility in general.  

 

I mean ask other sources about the issues definitely, never heard about the tracking issue because never had a demo of an Odyssey so you could be on to something, but all the VR nerds I've ever talked to really do say resolution is a big thing.    

 

 

 

I'll stick with the 4670k and see how I get on. I did try to overclock it once and it didn't last long (BSOD on assasins's creed 1). The 4670k REALLY  holds me back with video edititng though. Its actually painful how long it takes even compared to my macbook pro. 

 

Lol exactly! My question is more do I get a 2080, 2080ti or a 1080ti. I'll wait for benchmarks as NVIDIA have been cunts. I've learnt the hardway by skipping the 10 series that its never worth waiting for the next best thing. 

 

Yup, I do agree with you. The lightbox 2.0 is very important but Vive add such a huge preimum to their new tech that I don't see the point in investing to upgrade. I'd rather wait for them to release a package which includes everything. I'm sure they're going to charge £299 for their lightboxes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022

Just playing RE 7 VR on PS4 pro.

 

Honestly this shits on ANY horror game/experience/film I've ever played.

 

I am GENUINELY fightened. Every other horror game after this will simply be obsolete. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

The Rift is 100% the wrong call over the Vive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

'

 The 4670k REALLY  holds me back with video edititng though. Its actually painful how long it takes even compared to my macbook pro. '

 

you sure thats not a ram/storage thing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022
On 9/3/2018 at 6:42 AM, rei said:

The Rift is 100% the wrong call over the Vive. 

most ppl into VR seem to disagree with u.

 

a lot of vive promises seem to be on tommorow's tech. vive will be sick when lightbox 2.0 is out. vive will be sick when the knuckles controllers are out. the vive will be sick when wireless adaptor is out. so firstly, 2/3 of those aren't out yet. secondly they're all obscenely priced. 

 

 

 

I wish I had jumped on the pimax 8k tbh,. 

Edited by Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10210

The Vive already does some hella cool stuff with lightbox 1.0 that is cool as heck without any intention of future proofing, and it does all the stuff Oculus does.  

 

The cool stuff that Vive does with the Lightbox 1.0 is worth the price premium on its own, not much else to say.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022
13 hours ago, Urthor said:

The Vive already does some hella cool stuff with lightbox 1.0 that is cool as heck without any intention of future proofing, and it does all the stuff Oculus does.  

 

The cool stuff that Vive does with the Lightbox 1.0 is worth the price premium on its own, not much else to say.  

 

like what? 

 

rift does roomscale now with a third sensor which is pretty comparable. 

 

what other cool stuff  does lightbox 1.0 offer  which is utilised by games apart from roomscale? 

Edited by Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

better latency, lower tco, and better tracking mostly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022
2 hours ago, rei said:

better latency, lower tco, and better tracking mostly.  

 

I think the first 2 will be negligible. 

 

Tracking wise I've read with a third sensor, its once again negligible with the vive actually having a few weird faults (some wiggle shit going on) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

gonna go out and overtly state that physical wired sensors are better than wireless camera tracking 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2022
9 hours ago, rei said:

gonna go out and overtly state that physical wired sensors are better than wireless camera tracking 

 

 

latency seems neglgible between units from /vrgaming 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×