Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

PC Upgrade time

Recommended Posts

Aaron    2023

Hey guys, need a new PC build.

 

Aims:

1. 4k gaming

2. VR gaming with oculus rift

3. Video editting

 

I'm awaiting 1080ti vs 2080 benchmarks but things aren't looking good for the 2080 i think. 

 

If someone could please spec me for a PC. Namely processor/RAM. I'm not sure if I can beat the below deal which I have an offer accepted for. 

 

Please get parts from amazon.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk 

 

 

 

I have got an 800£ offer for:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz (Works at 3.925MHz)
NZXT Kraken X41 RGB CPU water cooler
Gigabyte nVidia Windforce GTX 1080Ti in white
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 Motherboard
G.skill Cas 16 3200Mhz (2x16GB) RAM (Runs at 2800Mhz, worked at 2933Mhz but I keep everything down a step because I'm paranoid)
BE QUIET! BN242 600W PSU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

seems like a p killer deal

 

[and go vive] 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2023
5 hours ago, rei said:

seems like a p killer deal

 

[and go vive] 

Could u reccomend me any other build rei? 

 

I can claim back VAT (20%) so building my own is a possibility (possbly intel build if possible)

 

I've made the decision to go Rift... the exclusives are better, they do room scale with a third sensor, the controllers are MUCH better and the whole point i want to do PC VR is for analogue locomotion (tje steam controller touch pads are a fail)... also VIVE/HTC are going down a VERY nasty pricey route... (deluxe audio strap £100, knuckles £200, wireless adapator £300, vive pro £800). 

Also most PC VR games i want to play are native oculus. 

 

2 years ago the VIVE was much superior but after thorough research, I think oculus have bridged the gap. 

Edited by Aaron
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

the controllers are NOT better, and going down the not-valve not-open standard route is usually a mistake. 

(dunno why you bring up steam touchpads they arent what you use with the vive) 

 

bonus round not giving more money to facebook is always a plus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

Intel is not the path to take at present. Maybe next cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2023
2 hours ago, rei said:

the controllers are NOT better, and going down the not-valve not-open standard route is usually a mistake. 

(dunno why you bring up steam touchpads they arent what you use with the vive) 

 

bonus round not giving more money to facebook is always a plus. 

 

I dont care about not giving FB money. 

Also HTC's reputation is HORRIBLE for customer service. Its all over /vrgaming and pretty much an accepted con. 

 

The VIVEPRO to me illustrates that HTC are just there to rape gamers. 

 

 

Sorry man but its pretty much universal people agree the wands are worse than the rift's touch controlles. The lack of an anolgue stick is a huge killer for me in locomotion. 

 

Not going down the open standard route is VERY annoying.. but I don't care when all the third party open standard peripherals coming out are EXPENSIVE AS FUCK. the knuckles will probably cost £199 minimum. Thats like half a rift setup. 

 

My logic is -> buy rift now

Buy vive once they release the complete package. I have no interest in investing in light box 1.0s, just for them to release 2.0s in a little while. 

Edited by Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2023
2 hours ago, rei said:

Intel is not the path to take at present. Maybe next cycle. 

My issue is that the 1700 in the deal I've detailed has proven to stutter in skyrim VR and fallout VR which would be annoying AF. 

 

The intels on the other hand for gaming seem to be killing it. 

 

 

Can you reccommend an alternative build? 

 

Intel also destroy Dolphin/emulation which makes me want to get them.. but i'm open to AMD. 

 

 

 

 

i know ppl argue the AM4 socket is more open bahblah but truth is, I don't really upgrade my processor ever. 

Edited by Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

emulation for modern processors is childs play - ryzen and core will both have no trouble at all. 

 


If ryzen is stuttering, intel at the same clock will also stutter, you'd need to go to a higher end intel anyway 

 

 

 

and yeah im with you on socket upgrade being irrelevant - my last three mobos have had the mindset of 'oh i guess i can upgrade it eventually' but i never did (Socket 775 Core 2 Quad q9300, Socket AM3+ FX-6100 LOL GPU NUKED THE MOBO, and S...fuck what socket am I on now? it's a skylake i5-6600K) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

Socket 939 was the best socket of all time and i miss those days 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2023

 

58 minutes ago, rei said:

Socket 939 was the best socket of all time and i miss those days 

 

 

Do you think the 1080ti is worth £600 [compared to the 2080 £750]. 

 

People are advising me to wait for benchmarks which i agree is the wise decision... but these 1080tis are going fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

wait - VR is basically the giant motherfucker of GPU load so this is one of the rare times it might be worth waiting for the next gen

 

otherwise id say be right up in that 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

also if you're thrwoing that kind of bank around have you considered threadripper? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2023
1 hour ago, rei said:

wait - VR is basically the giant motherfucker of GPU load so this is one of the rare times it might be worth waiting for the next gen

 

otherwise id say be right up in that 

next gen as in wait for RTX benches?

 

or next gen in regards to wait for 7nm? 

 

cos fam, im still rocking a GTX 670.. i cant keep going with this card lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2023
1 hour ago, rei said:

also if you're thrwoing that kind of bank around have you considered threadripper? 

is thread ripper better than 8700k for gaming tho? 

 

I've seen linus benches of amd vs the 8700k and the 8700k literally destroys amd at times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34637

honestly prob not though it could evolve into a better vr platform 
but i mean buying on potential not such a great call

 

... wait for benches of the 2080 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10210

Threadripper is literally awful unless you are using it for very specific computer science shit.  Intel is also specifically better on emulation because there's some aspect of its instruction set that called TSX that AMD doesn't have which is required for RPCS3 goodness (PS3 emulation is the only thing that matters, PS2 etc was cracked long ago)


And yeah socket is irrelevant because the idea you would buy a new CPU every 2 years is ridiculous, the gap is more like 8 years at this point.

 

Just wait for benchmarks on the 24th or whatever the fuck it is.  There's a chance that the 2080 is worth it wait and see

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2023
On 9/6/2018 at 0:51 AM, Urthor said:

Threadripper is literally awful unless you are using it for very specific computer science shit.  Intel is also specifically better on emulation because there's some aspect of its instruction set that called TSX that AMD doesn't have which is required for RPCS3 goodness (PS3 emulation is the only thing that matters, PS2 etc was cracked long ago)


And yeah socket is irrelevant because the idea you would buy a new CPU every 2 years is ridiculous, the gap is more like 8 years at this point.

 

Just wait for benchmarks on the 24th or whatever the fuck it is.  There's a chance that the 2080 is worth it wait and see

benches out

 

not sure whether to:

 

£650 1080ti

£750 2080

£1100 2080ti

 

Given i hardly ever upgrade my shit, im really torn between which card to get. edging towards the 2080 which despite being the most redundant, might offer the best stop-gap until 7nm comes out. my main issue with the 1080ti is i feel it should be way cheaper given how old it is. im basically paying RRP for a card which is fairly old.

 

 

 

 

processor wise waiting for nvidia 9 series announcement altho i am VERY tempted to grab a £300 8700k as its on sale at amazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+Urthor    10210
On 22/09/2018 at 7:24 AM, Aaron said:

benches out

 

not sure whether to:

 

£650 1080ti

£750 2080

£1100 2080ti

 

Given i hardly ever upgrade my shit, im really torn between which card to get. edging towards the 2080 which despite being the most redundant, might offer the best stop-gap until 7nm comes out. my main issue with the 1080ti is i feel it should be way cheaper given how old it is. im basically paying RRP for a card which is fairly old.

 

 

 

 

processor wise waiting for nvidia 9 series announcement altho i am VERY tempted to grab a £300 8700k as its on sale at amazon

 

 

Wait for AIB cards is the most important thing.  AIB 2080 is moderately attractive because the DLSS is REALLY nice from NVIDIA, offloading anti aliasing to a Neural net is sick.  

 

It just depends because whether 1080ti gets price cuts in due course, but 100% don't get a reference 2080 the fans on the AIB cards are quite a lot nicer and quieter.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2023
7 hours ago, Urthor said:

 

 

Wait for AIB cards is the most important thing.  AIB 2080 is moderately attractive because the DLSS is REALLY nice from NVIDIA, offloading anti aliasing to a Neural net is sick.  

 

It just depends because whether 1080ti gets price cuts in due course, but 100% don't get a reference 2080 the fans on the AIB cards are quite a lot nicer and quieter.   

aib tax in uk is too high. £100-£200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×