Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

RAM ADVICE please

Aaron    2027

Okay guys so this is my build:

RTX 2080

ASUS ROG STRIX Intel Z390-E 

Noctua DH14S cooler

now RAM wise I bought 16GB DDR4 Trident 3200mhz CL14 RAM. 

I want to:

1. Game at 4k

2. VR game

3. Edit 4k content 

Now the editing 4k-video thing has made me question whether I should trade in the 16GB Trident RAM for 32GB RAM or not. Can someone help advise me? 

I'm using Amazon.co.uk to buy. I want to keep RAM under £300. I can't find any CL14-32GB-3200mhz RAM for <400 and I'm not paying that. Therefore, shall I go for 32GB of RAM given the chance I might do some 4k editting or keep the perfect speed/latency RAM instead? 

PLEASE help as I want to uild my PC but I don't want to install that RAM if I'll need to replace it as the cooler I bought it quite bit and will be a pain to get in and out. 

OR Shall I stick with my 16GB RAM and just take the £80-100 hit on a second set of RAM if I need it.

My calculations are for £300, I can get 32GB of RAM  CL16 3200mhz.

Or I can just use my £180 worth of RAM C14 perfect RAM and if I need more, buy a second set for £200. 

Hi,

Do I get

Corsair 32GB C16 3200mhz RAM Samsung B-Die

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK32GX4M4B3200C16-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B017NW5RW8

or

Trident 16GB C14 3200mhz RAM Samsung

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SKILL-F4-3200C14D-16GTZ-Trident-DDR4-Memory/dp/B01ACODPHI/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1540506732&sr=1-1&keywords=Trident+RAM+C14

My build is:

8086k + Noctua D15S cooler

RTX 2080

ASUS ROG STRIX Intel Z390-E

My uses are:

VR Gaming

4k Gaming

4k video editting + photoshop (light work, approximately 1-5 minute clips at most) using Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Lightroom.

Edited by Aaron

+Urthor    10221

Well I've never edited a 4K video in my life, but I asked people in the know about the whole 4K video editing ram thing and their answer was "all of it" and they decidedly recommended that 256-512gb of RAM in a Xeon is a worthwhile investment for a serious 4k video editor.

So yeah I would say that 32GB is the answer

• Upvote 1

Aaron    2027

Thanks guys.

Final build:

Noctua D15S cooler (man this is so much easier to install and manage than the other big as fuck coolers, 100% CPU usage on prime95, benchmarks at 65 degrees) 

32GB RAM (4 channel DDR Samsung B-Die 3200mhz via XMP2  (XMP 1 gave me 2 BSODS))  [I ordered quad channel by mistake, cba to return as my cooler is big AF] 

Asus ROG mobo (bluetooth + wifi to free up some USB ports)

Inanteck USB hub 

RTX 2080 

750w PSU

2x 6TB hard drives 

Fractal R6 case

1x1TB Samsung evo ssd

Oculus Rift w/2x sensors + 2x touch controllers. I can confirm that the Oculus Rift does room scale and really well. Also the Oculus software is miles ahead of Steams which is a buggy and shitter performance. The Oculus SDK seems to just be superior. The controllers are superior. The sweet spot is better. Sadly its a closed system so I'm buying my games on steam, launching through Oculus SDK and preparing to switch if one of the two releases a newer better headset. 

So far its all going well after 2 BSODs on XMP1 for my RAM. I checked and the XMP1 setting didnt really change much other than timins and voltage, XMP2 seemed to be more appropriate. I'll overclock when I need to although at present I'm 4k/60fps everything except Skyrim modded (which hits around 45-60FPS) but is surprisingly smooth.

This is coming from a GTX 670 4670k 8GB DDR3 ram.. so im pretty impressed with the results.

If I'd been a bit smarter, I could have probably have done a 2600 AMD with 16GB of RAM and then put the savings into a RTX 2080ti but:

a) they're not available in my country 

b) I cba upgrading next year as VR gaming seems to be fairly CPU dependant despite what ppl say. 

I'm thinking of going into medical training next year which means I'll be taking a 60% wage cut which means this might be one of the last really luxurious purchases I make for myself [I am eyeing up a drone + full frame 4k camera at christmas if i can earn enough cash tho...). 

I MIGHT also buy the Pimax if they sort out their software as Oculus seem to be in no rush to release a v2.0 headset and HTC wanna rape us for money.. 

also Fallout 4 VR is fucking sick 

Edited by Aaron
  • Upvote 1

+rei+    34654

No SSD? 

+rei+    34654

nice