BudgetedGamer

Who here likes and plays Living Card Games and/or Deck Building Games?

BudgetedGamer    103

If you did like them and play them what do you think of them?

How does your experiences playing with Living Card Games and Deck Building Games compared to the more traditional and popular Trading Card Games and Collectible Card Games such as Yu-Gi-Oh!, Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, and many others well known and recognized card games.

Do you enjoy Living Card Games and/or Deck Building Games more than than the traditional Trading Card Games or Collectible Card games? If you did, then how come?

Any recommendation of LCGs or DBGs is also much appreciated, thanks.

Edited by BudgetedGamer
  • Upvote 1

define what you mean for me when you say "deck building games." are you talking about games like dominion? i would absolutely qualify those more as board games than traditionally "lifestyle" competitive games.

turns out i'm doing a ton of work (and have been for a few years now) in these spheres; so feel free to ask any other questions you have. lcgs as a model are really moving toward cooperative rather than competitive play. arkham horror is one of the best games on the market right now (which is functionally a board game with an aggressive expansion schedule). in contrast, a game like legend of the five rings had an enormous launch and has petered out since. unfortunately the greatest benefit to a competitive lcg (cost) is also its greatest deterrent once a game gets up and running (...cost). 

have you looked into keyforge at all? i think its model is going to absolutely fill the gap that lcgs held in the lifestyle area moving forward. it marries ease of entry with ease of hobby maintenance/late term entry. i think it's going to explode. 

• Upvote 1

BudgetedGamer    103

Thanks for mentioning keyforge I'll look into that.

Dominion is where the whole concept of "deck building games" began if I remembered correctly. Maybe somebody pay the original designer or creator of the system to reuse it to create new games based on the original system and modifying it to suit various themes.

And I guess you can say they are more like "board games" but in playing cards format. And typically I think they are more cooperative oriented than competitive, although competitive options also does exist.

There are other games that came after that uses the same or similar concepts and systems, in particularly to UDE's "Legendary" line of deck building games, which may be more popular and recognizable, although I have seen a Street Fighter Deck Building Game and even a Harry Potter one if I recall correctly, but they aren't done by UDE though:

udelegendarydbgs.png

They go for between $20 to $60, as you can see from the screen capture of the manufacturer's store page. And there's just very little collecting and/or trading involved if any at all, as some of them had receive expansions while others are just stand-alone releases and are typically based on either a tv or movie franchise or license.

You just get everything you need pretty much out of the box and if there are any expansions at all they aren't a necessity anyway.

Those that are fans of Marvel characters and stuff probably would want to give these card games a try and see if they like it or not.

Still more bang for the buck from the way I see it.

I mean for most traditional TCGs, and CCGs, to put together and build really good and competitive decks easily goes into $200-$400 at least, maybe more sometimes. Depending upon how many reprints of much needed cards and staples there are and available, etc. However, I don't ever hear of any tournaments or competitive or organized play for Deck Building Games at this point, maybe they do exist some place, I don't know yet. But I do know LCGs have those.

LCGs on the other hand, as you put it they do put out lots of expansions over time once the sales pick up and enough people are playing them and buying them. I just like the idea that it's equal access to all cards, no more having to squeeze a budget for those much needed rares to build a competitive or really good deck unlike the traditional trading and collectible card games. But yea, even then there's still keeping up with them and buying the latest expansion set or deluxe expansion set they release, especially if one wants to keep up and stay competitive. Otherwise, one can simply just stick with the core sets which are essentially starter decks/structure decks/theme decks, etc.

+scuzzlebutt    23495

The WizWar LCG is possibly the best card game ever made imo