Solstice

I killed my laptop and need help fixing it.

Solstice    390

The laptop in question in a HP pavilion dv7-6b78us Entertainment PC running windows 7.  I have a much better desktop, but as it's not portable I'd really like to get this old thing running properly.  I was trying to run a steam game as well as update another one at the same time and my computer froze; I could neither see nor move the mouse and attempting to bring up the task manager using control+alt+delete did nothing.  I made the mistake of holding the power button to shut down and then everything went wrong.  I went to restart and got as far as the windows logo before it hangs for a bit, makes a weird noise, then turns itself off.  

I've tried running a repair; it didn't help.  I've scanned for viruses and found nothing.  Neither system restore nor doing a clean boot has fixed the issue either.  I've tired a few recommended msconfig commands with no luck.  It will run fine in safe mode with networking, however this is not a permanent solution especially as it has no audio.  I've checked the drivers in the device manager and the only one showing issues is Consumer IR Devices, but disabling it has not solved the issue and trying to update just tells me I already have the latest version.  I've tried uninstalling the steam games I had open when it froze, but it says this feature is not available in safe mode.  

At this point I'm not sure what else to try other than putting everything back to factory settings, which is going to be a pain as it means I have to install everything all over again.  I'm open to any suggestions.  

• Sad 1

Faint    5859

have you tried turning it off then on again

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34664

booting into safe mode is a good sign

im about to head to an interview so ill come back to this later but from safe modew/ networking run chkdsk from command line as administrator first and foremost.

sounds are always discouraging as they could be mechanical failures, hard drive or fans usually 

• Thanks 1

Solstice    390
On 1/15/2019 at 0:29 PM, rei said:

booting into safe mode is a good sign

im about to head to an interview so ill come back to this later but from safe modew/ networking run chkdsk from command line as administrator first and foremost.

sounds are always discouraging as they could be mechanical failures, hard drive or fans usually 

I tired running a chkdsk /f earlier and that didn't solve anything, so I got impatient and just had it restore itself to factory settings.  However it still won't boot up normally and when I try to load up in safe mode it just says "first time startup cannot be completed in safe mode" and restarts itself back in 'normal' mode, which crashes.  I'm pretty sure I've made it unfixable at this point other than sending it back to the manufacturer for repairs, so lesson learned the hard way I guess. 

+rei+    34664

honestly i think a physical part is broken so there wasn't gonna be avoiding that