Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Are gaming Rigs ever SILENT?

Aaron    2051

ok i need some real answers here please.

i have an 8086k rtx 2080 32gb ram in a fractal R6 case with a noctua air cooler.

under load its not louder than my PS4 pro or anything like that. even playing witcher 3 4k, its fine. Its NOT super loud or anything.

audible from 3 metres away, sure, but not over the sound of the game.

However when my PC is on say idling or watching a film, its NOT silent. I can't hear fans gearing up, my temps are all perfect 30-40. However I can hear it. Like a vibration or something of moving parts. I'm assuming this could be the PSU, HDDs, graphics card on idle, maybe a CPU fan... 

Anyway, I've heard people say their PCs are SILENT. Like literally silent. If my PC is on and its SILENT in the room, I can hear it. Every device I've owned I can hear it if its on in a silent room except my switch.

Is this normal or at idle/watching a film, should it be silent? and If so, is there a fan or some shit i can install to help? 

+rei+    34721

some fans will not spin below certain temps, i'm not sure which ones, I know Noctua are generally really well regarded for how quiet they are. Similarly there are PSUs that will be silent when necessary. I think your main challenge will be video card though, most video cards are never gonna be totally silent unless they're low-midrange without a fan iirc; there might be ones that turn the fans off tho just not sure was never a huge priority for me

There are absolutely fanless setups you can make with a CPU and onboard video + a PSU that only spins when necessary. 

I feel like the best 'quiet' option is likely a custom water loop - the pump is gonna be constant noise but it should be fucking quieter than GPU fans and CPU fans, coupled with a PSU that goes quiet when necessary. 

and yes HDDs are moving parts that will make noise when disks are accessed. SSDs will not. 

Aaron    2051
Posted (edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 2:19 PM, rei said:

some fans will not spin below certain temps, i'm not sure which ones, I know Noctua are generally really well regarded for how quiet they are. Similarly there are PSUs that will be silent when necessary. I think your main challenge will be video card though, most video cards are never gonna be totally silent unless they're low-midrange without a fan iirc; there might be ones that turn the fans off tho just not sure was never a huge priority for me

There are absolutely fanless setups you can make with a CPU and onboard video + a PSU that only spins when necessary. 

I feel like the best 'quiet' option is likely a custom water loop - the pump is gonna be constant noise but it should be fucking quieter than GPU fans and CPU fans, coupled with a PSU that goes quiet when necessary. 

and yes HDDs are moving parts that will make noise when disks are accessed. SSDs will not. 

I checked and my fans are barely running. they're actually at 0rpm case fans wise due to my fan profile. cpu is at 35-48 degrees idle. 

the noise is basically coming from my hard drives whenever they need to work.

Edited by Aaron

+rei+    34721

SSDs are silent so time to go full ssd?

Aaron    2051
On 11/03/2019 at 1:40 AM, rei said:

SSDs are silent so time to go full ssd?

i cant justify 12TB worth of ssd. 

+rei+    34721

so justify a shitty rig in another room ethernet'd to your system. 

+rei+    34721

> move almost all storage to like, an athlon/pentium box in a closet with no head

> put a free os on it, samba share everything, wire it to your router
boom.