Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rei

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Recommended Posts

+rei+    34679

I've never played a From game before, is this an okay place to start? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34679

I have no desire to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2040
11 hours ago, rei said:

I have no desire to

play dark souls.

 

its honestly incredible.

 

one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. 

 

i tried to play it 3 times

 

the first 2 times i hated it

 

the third time i fell in love with gaming. i was on a cut trying to get sub 8% bodyfat and my whole mind was consumed with that and final year university. for the 2 weeks i played dark souls, i forgot about the hunger of being hormonally fucked up and pressure of work. i only thought about dark souls and how engrossing the game-world is. 

 

I really really should play dark souls 3 or 2 or demon souls. They are just SO good.

 

 

 

I've also played Bloodborne which is also incredible but Dark Souls is just way more magestic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malcolm's Multi    1793
18 hours ago, rei said:

I have no desire to

Then why play sekiro? 

 

You cant summon anyone in sekiro to save you when you get stuck. You can’t go into another world when you want to level up having fun with a boss. You cant summon any npcs eirher. Now, I would say good because I don’t like it when people do that and cheat the difficulty but for the first time playing it would make sense having the option when you don’t want to grind literal days on a boss when you’re an adult. 

 

Seriously, play dark souls prepare to die edition 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34679
7 hours ago, Malcolm's Multi said:

Then why play sekiro? 

 

You cant summon anyone in sekiro to save you when you get stuck. You can’t go into another world when you want to level up having fun with a boss. You cant summon any npcs eirher. Now, I would say good because I don’t like it when people do that and cheat the difficulty but for the first time playing it would make sense having the option when you don’t want to grind literal days on a boss when you’re an adult. 

 

Seriously, play dark souls prepare to die edition 

I don't really have any interest in the world/atmosphere/colour pallette of DS tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2040
On 13/04/2019 at 2:12 PM, rei said:

I don't really have any interest in the world/atmosphere/colour pallette of DS tbh

 

 

Fair enough rei, although I will say you're missing out on possibly one of the most engrossing, dark and beautiful gaming experiences available. 

 

also the colour palette in dark souls DARASTICALLY changes throughout the game. you'll go from the slums, do absolutely disgusting swamps to some of the most beautiful scenery in gaming. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34679

is the beautiful scenery still grey?

 

I mean i might come around on this seeing as i do actually own PTD edition i just remember saying fuck it before cos the controller support was bugging out on me. may give it another go now that i have nicer controllers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2040
5 minutes ago, rei said:

is the beautiful scenery still grey?

 

I mean i might come around on this seeing as i do actually own PTD edition i just remember saying fuck it before cos the controller support was bugging out on me. may give it another go now that i have nicer controllers 

 

 

I found Anor Londo absolutely stunning. 

 

The controller support is good now. You might need to install a mod if you're using the old version of Dark Souls for 60fps.

 

Don't get me wrong, I totally get where ur coming from. I picked up and dropped this game 2-3 times but eventually when i persevered, it became one of my favourite games of all time. Most other combat systems in video games are so inferior to compared to it. 

 

It does have shitty platforming, the last 1/8 of the game is really shit and obviously rushed.  However it has IMO:

 

1. Best in class level and world design

2. Best in class boss design

3. Best in class weapon/skill level (you can complete the game with any weapon pretty much) 

4. Best in class levelling and skill system (although incredibly difficult and hidden in regards to what everything does)

5. Best in class difficulty and challenge

 

It fails at:

1. Last 1/8 the game or so

2. Platforming being shit [altho really very limited unless you want to get to every secret) 

3. One boss being ridiculously out of place in the series (yes its within the 1/8 of the game) 

 

 

The story telling in this game is actually incredible if you read item descriptions and piece together whats infront of you. However its hard to do that when you're getting killed every 10 minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34679

yeah i've heard great things about how it lets you build the world yourself out of the information given to you

 

i  just fired it up no mods and did most of the tutorial stuff - first boss's second encounter killed me via me rolling forwards instead of sideways well at least my first DS death was unconventional? rofl 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2040
7 minutes ago, rei said:

yeah i've heard great things about how it lets you build the world yourself out of the information given to you

 

i  just fired it up no mods and did most of the tutorial stuff - first boss's second encounter killed me via me rolling forwards instead of sideways well at least my first DS death was unconventional? rofl 

 

 

 

Yeah I read an interview from the guy who made it. he said as a kid he'd read english fantasy but his english was limited so he'd only understand 50-60% of the story.. so thats what he set out do in dark souls. give an epic shit load of lore but let you fill in the blanks. 

 

yea the first boss is nothing. the game really forces u to get good and technical. i never realised how much other games did for me. the mechanics are set in stone.. u just gotta do what u can with what they give u. 

 

one annoyance with dark souls is some cool AF weapons aren't available until very late game. 

 

i did an int build for my playthrough but in hindsight i think i'd rather have done a dex or strength build. 

 

 

Also rei, put points into pyro!! very useful for some later game bosses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34679

ok : ) 

 

im going str i think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NB96    855
Posted (edited)

I decided not to buy this game since my experience with Cuphead made me not want to play games that are designed to be highly difficult. The reward of beating a tough boss or section is not worth the hours of frustration to me.

@rei I thought that Dark Souls 3 was easier to get into than Dark Souls 1 even though 1 is supposed to be a better game. I think 3 is quite a good starting point, it was my first Souls game and not quite as difficult as the other two afaik.

Edited by NB96

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2040
14 hours ago, NB96 said:

I decided not to buy this game since my experience with Cuphead made me not want to play games that are designed to be highly difficult. The reward of beating a tough boss or section is not worth the hours of frustration to me.

@rei I thought that Dark Souls 3 was easier to get into than Dark Souls 1 even though 1 is supposed to be a better game. I think 3 is quite a good starting point, it was my first Souls game and not quite as difficult as the other two afaik.

 

 

I absolutely love it! The feeling and accomplishment is unparalleled from ANY other form of media. 

 

I hate games where the difficulty is organically amped just because. But when difficulty is well thought out, its brilliant. Examples are Cuphead, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Fire Emblem Awakening (on hard mode), Divinity Original Sin games.

 

It makes going back to games which don't challenge you really meh. For example KH3.. Every boss until the last one, I was like.. hmm.. meh. 

 

In Dark Souls I'm literally terrified every time I see a portal. I'm like ah fuck should I just backtrack and find a bonfire to cash in these souls first... Then when you see them. If you haven't spoilered yourself, I think nearly every single boss will be totally shocking and gross. 

 

 

 

 

I get it though, some people don't like frustration or difficulty but I find what sets gaming apart from films, movies is the fact it can actively  challenge you by making you a very active participant. Now games like Uncharted where hard mode just means more of the same but more annoying.. now thats fucking horrible., Similarly Skyrims default difficulties without mods was just annoying AF, but with mods it made enemies be able to detect you from further away if you make too much noise, react to light sources, gang up on you, actually interact with a healer in their gang, parry you and play defensively when necessary, strafe you. I love difficulties like that. 

 

But again, it took me a while to realize this (hence my many failed attempts to get into Dark Souls),. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2040
Posted (edited)

Also FYI I'm naturally shit at video games.

 

I'm not some difficulty whore trying to look down on people who are shitter than me. Its very likely both of you are better than me. 

 

I've tried to get into a few competitive games throughout the years and outside of YVD [which I think i was amazing at when Maxxx was in his prime], I've been distinctly average or shit. 

Edited by Aaron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34679

I def enjoy the feel of accomplishment in hard games, but i dont like the feeling of 'pissing time away' in a sense (ironic cos i have no problem spacing out and grinding in JRPGs) - so if it feels like im 'never gonna get it' i get burned out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34679

like I praise the shit out of IWBTG for a reason but i havent finished it either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2040
19 hours ago, rei said:

I def enjoy the feel of accomplishment in hard games, but i dont like the feeling of 'pissing time away' in a sense (ironic cos i have no problem spacing out and grinding in JRPGs) - so if it feels like im 'never gonna get it' i get burned out 

 

 

I Iove the challenge. I think playing something easy with a subpar storyline is more so pissing time away. 

 

Like Divinity Original sin 2, I've put about 80 hours into it. If I'd played on normal difficulty, I'd be finished by now but every single boss fight required a high level of strategy which I loved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NB96    855
1 hour ago, Aaron said:

 

 

I Iove the challenge. I think playing something easy with a subpar storyline is more so pissing time away. 

 

Like Divinity Original sin 2, I've put about 80 hours into it. If I'd played on normal difficulty, I'd be finished by now but every single boss fight required a high level of strategy which I loved. 

Does Super Mario Odyssey fit that criteria though? I thought you said you really enjoyed that game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+rei+    34679
3 hours ago, NB96 said:

Does Super Mario Odyssey fit that criteria though? I thought you said you really enjoyed that game.

might have to do with the super crisp and satisfying gameplay just a thought

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aaron    2040
On 17/04/2019 at 10:43 AM, NB96 said:

Does Super Mario Odyssey fit that criteria though? I thought you said you really enjoyed that game.

 

 

As rei said, amazingly awesome gameplay and best-in-class platforming left me still enjoying it a lot.  Although my biggest gripe with Mario Odyssey is sadly just how forgiving it is compared to older Mario Games (Even SMG). Also, the lack of fear of death on the majority of the levels and the very very lack luster boss fights didn't help. However it has simply world-class platforming, awesome tight control of Mario, one of the best in-game cameras ever, beautifully created worlds, hardly any cut scene reliance, amazingly creative and beautiful game mechanic design [the new cappy mechanic is genius], best-in-class level/world design especially compared to other AAA games... 

 

 

I'm thinking something more akin to Mass Effect, Uncharted etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dank Memeston    1716
Posted (edited)

Umm ds is great and all but I prefer ds 3. Ds is a great intro for the franchise but unlike 1 3has a lot more color and variety. Maybe the world design isn't as good but pretty much everything else is better imo. 

 

Also, having played sekiro it can be fun bc your a ninja and shit but the boss fights are unapologetic and unforgiving so unless you wanna beat your head in I'd recommend playing ds 1 2 or 3 first

 

Edit I haven't Beat sekiro because I don't want to sit around for 3 hours on one boss :/

 

Edited by Dank Memeston

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×