Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Two desktops?

Aaron    2048

so I have a RTX 2080/8086k connected to my 4k FALD TV.

I've just ordered an alien ware 34 inch ultrawide monitor.

So now i need a new PC for the monitor. I'm going to wait for the dust to settle on the AMD new CPUs (I need benchmarks for emulators) and the RTX 2080 super (is it worth it over the 2070 super), but I'm just wondering on if you guys have ever had 2 separate rigs?  It feels like a mega expensive proposition.

I am contemplating just buying an SSD + graphics card and using my old 4670k for gaming but I did find the the upgrade to a good processor and high speed RAM eliminated most frame rate drops. 

+rei+    34687

ive maxed out at like four rigs, but the most 'gaming capable' rigs ive had was two - and the second one was powered by an AMD APU for a long time for 'medium quality' - i eventually threw a real older gpu in there though

That said, I still am a 1080p guy so the hardware requirements I have are way less. 

WOnder if you did a steam streaming thing or something you could save money on some hardware. 

+rei+    34687

There is also of course the "buy a gaming laptop and just keep it plugged in to your monitor or TV most of the time" option

Aaron    2048
On 7/3/2019 at 11:20 PM, rei said:

ive maxed out at like four rigs, but the most 'gaming capable' rigs ive had was two - and the second one was powered by an AMD APU for a long time for 'medium quality' - i eventually threw a real older gpu in there though

That said, I still am a 1080p guy so the hardware requirements I have are way less. 

WOnder if you did a steam streaming thing or something you could save money on some hardware. 

You've convinced me to build a second rig. I just got this ultrawide monitor and I can't let it go.  At the same time, I need a gaming rig for my 4k TV.  21:9 alienware Gsync ultrawide equivalent 1440p 120hz goodness rei. its amazing. so smooth.  I just played TW3, put everything to max, i was dipping into the 50s.. maybe 45s.. didn't notice a thing. 

I've heard nvidia have enabled freesync too on their gpus but I'd rather just go with their native solutions you pay extra with them but its always worth it. 

I have a mechanical keyboard which is doing this annoying ping so i think i'll need to return it which sucks. I just want a decent mechanical keyboard... might just need to go wired.

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34687

freesync and gsync are literally the exact same thing with gsync having DRM - but if you're already bought into the platform its no big deal. 

I wish there were good ergo split mechanical keyboards. I tried the True Ergonomic Keyboard and the offset was fucked and it drove me nuts (im talking a keyboard like the MS Natural 4000 - i need one to not have my wrists die) 

Aaron    2048
17 hours ago, rei said:

freesync and gsync are literally the exact same thing with gsync having DRM - but if you're already bought into the platform its no big deal. 

I wish there were good ergo split mechanical keyboards. I tried the True Ergonomic Keyboard and the offset was fucked and it drove me nuts (im talking a keyboard like the MS Natural 4000 - i need one to not have my wrists die) 

I totally get what you mean and although conceptually very similar... i have more faith in gsync than freesync. freesync 1 for example was a mess. plenty of monitors had really strange freesync ranges and even it came ready got nvidia to embrace freesync, they couldn't certify some monitors as an acceptable standard. then when asked by the same amd users of graphics cards for those freesync monitors, they explained that they had the same issues the nvidia card users had. i've heard freesync 2 is a might tighter implimentation with hopefully stricter standards on monitor manufacturers to ensure they're telling the truth. 

ah on keyboards man i fucking hate this G613. The ping is beyond fucking belief but the only alternative is corsair smechanical keyboard.. thats wireless but needs charging every 3 days. why wouldnt i just use a fucking wire then? 

the only issue i actually have with the wire is the neatness on the desk... but i might have to forgot it and give up. 

My next step is now getting some decent audio.  I already have akg 712 / jds atom /topping d 30 amp. 

however i miss speakers for shit listening like youtube etc.

i have 2 options.. 1. is a 2.1 dac/amp like a smsl ad18 + some nicer bookshelves.. or i can get this active 2.1 bundle by eidifer for £250 which has a subwoofer. 

the edifier seems like better value cos it has a fucking subwoofer.. but then im used to a bk monolith plus subwoofer which is probably like 10x as big as that subwoofer so im not sure if im going to be underwhelmed.

ffs tech is so expensive man. 

VR has cost me £1k 

headphones has cost me £700

having a pc desktop space is going to cost me £1.5-2k

I had to give up photography + cinematrography cos the fucking costs are just ridiculous.

the camera i wanted was 2k, the lenses are all 1k, the fucking thing to stabilise the lenses is like 400, the lens covers are all shitty ammounts of money like 20 when i know they cost like 2£ to be made... and then i needed  a PC + monitor to edit content on... 

+rei+    34687

You know you don't need to go top price bracket for a good experience right 

+rei+    34687

Ryzen 3### series benches hitting today

she good boys 

Aaron    2048
On 7/7/2019 at 4:03 AM, rei said:

You know you don't need to go top price bracket for a good experience right 

yeah tbh i think i've gone a bit overkill.

i think i have gear obsession or association disorder. 

+rei+    34687

spread the obsession to trying new shit (like ryzen! ;p) 

Aaron    2048
6 hours ago, rei said:

spread the obsession to trying new shit (like ryzen! ;p) 

I'm tempted to buy a Ryzen 3600 + RTX 2080 super near the end of this month. The only thing stopping me is... well I don't want to spend anymore money and I don't think I'll have time to video game as much. 

3600 benches are looking good, especially for the money. 

+rei+    34687

yeah there are places intel still beats it, but that's at way more dollars 

+rei+    34687

also call me crude and oldschool but putting a processor in a motherboard feels cooler when the pins are on the processor. Plus that crank to lock it in feels badass