Sign in to follow this  
Zero Enna

Anyone playing Pokémon Sword/Shield

»JC.    5323

The biggest improvement is that the game does not waste your time. The EXP share allows you to train whatever you want and rotate with a team larger than six. The wild Pokémon on new routes were consistently at or even above my team's level, meaning I could add something without having to grind at all. If you do somehow fall behind, raid battles give you enough XP in just a couple of fights.

The biggest downside is that the game does not give you ways to waste time. Routes and cities are small and straightforward, there are almost no optional areas, no interesting dungeons, and not much to do once you beat the game.

Overall, the game works. I like a lot of the new designs. It does what I expect of a Pokémon game. I'm a fan of these games, so I enjoyed it, but it does not have anything it particularly excels at or ways to appeal to players that normally wouldn't like this type of game.

3 out of 5

• Upvote 1

+rei+    34993

I enjoyed it though thought it needed more... world

should have abandoned routes entirely and just made it all wild area. 

+Gemstone Mine    2731

too short. Otherwise excellent. Story is well paced, wild areas are really cool. New mons are pretty interesting. Raid balances are neat. Dynamax is fun as an in game mechanic (horrifically bad for competitive singles though). I really miss the lack of brutal trainer guantlets like older games used to have (silph/victory road/routes in general). There's only like 2-3 trainers an area and almost no mandatory trainers, and that's kind of disappointing. Also I really miss old rival fights. New rival heals you up and givess you a 30 min warning that he's coming. I kind of miss gary oak 'battled 30 rockets? surprise bitch!'.

Raid  battles are super badly balanced though. You kind of need real people to do any of the 5 stars with AoE attacks, and they're nothing short of brutal if your mon isnt 100 since the AI is scaled to 70% of your level. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to force the raids to rotate so if one's too hard you can get another one, but there's no way to do that without doing another link battle, so if you're single player and youre stuck on one you have to beat it to get more.

»Tygo    14141

Trying to get into the competitive scene and the grind has been cut so short, I can work two jobs and get a decent/near perfect squad going. I just need to learn a bit more about EVs and strats but the only thing keeping me away from the games before was the grind to get perfect IVs/natures/abilities and they wiped it away with raids, mints, ability caps, and hyper training. Thrilled.